• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

What carries over to the other versions of the game? Does each version have unique supports for the shared characters?

I finished Birthright and I was pretty disappointed with the story (more on that on another post). I mean I heard it was bad but I didnt think it would be this bad. However, reading Gamespot and IGNs review for Revelations makes me excited to play it eventually. I want to finish up all the paralogues (all the ones I'm able to get anyways) and most of the supports for Birthright before moving on to Conquest. Its been a hectic last few days but I want to make this experience last as long as possible.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Gestahl

Who are generally considered the best units in Conquest? I'm at chapter 14 and want to make sure I'm not leveling or ignoring the wrong units.

The Royals, Azura, Effie, Keaton, Niles, Beruka, Silas, and Felicia/Jakob are all quality units with (save Keaton) strong availability and they won't steer you wrong as long as they're actually gaining points (well Azura can gain jack shit and still be good). Beruka you want to turn her into a fighter for the extra hp and more balanced growths, but even without that she gives good pair-up bonuses for your tanks like Keaton so it doesn't hurt to deploy her. Odin turns out well if you dread fighter him immediately and segue into swordmaster eventually, too.

Also Charlotte is basically made for Xander, so you can just promote her and glue her onto him permanently without any need to raise her as long as you max their support out. Then watch his str and spd skyrocket.

Neol

Who are generally considered the best units in Conquest? I'm at chapter 14 and want to make sure I'm not leveling or ignoring the wrong units.

From the top of my head all the siblings, Effie, Beruka, Niles, Selena, Kaze and Keaton are usually always solid. The rest of the cast is usually good as well but might require more work or might have bad growths here and there.

The only ones I would say struggle a bit more are Arthur, Nyx and Charlotte.

I thought for sure Saizo was gonna make Mozu cry; what the hell this cute support??

Saizo is honestly a big softie. A good amount of his support convos are adorable.

From the top of my head all the siblings, Effie, Beruka, Niles, Selena, Kaze and Keaton are usually always solid. The rest of the cast is usually good as well but might require more work or might have bad growths here and there.

As someone who has been using Arthur in his core, the trick to him is to take Gamble off his skills until his supports and weapon levels have developed to the point of covering his hit-rate penalty. Along with Odin he is a walking crit machine.

I haven't been using the Nohr royals much myself, but that comes from a cultivated aversion to soaking XP with pre-promoted units that was drilled into me earlier in the series. Xander is great for tanking damage and softening targets for weaker, low-level party members to pick off afterwards, though.

Hugstable

Banned
After the two waves of player reinforcements arrive, head south in order to avoid getting trapped in the middle. The biggest issue down bellow is the boss, but you'd need to take him down anyway.

Ah the one with three branches?
Send Corrin paired up with Someone to take care of the first wave either to the left or up top. Toy around I having them in offensive or defensive stand works better. Then go to the other branch (I probably recommend first left and then up) while keeping yourself healed. Then when you get your reinforcements, send them south to intercept the faceless coming from there. After that you should either have a few stragglers in the center while having a few extra units coming from the center and perhaps north ircc in the next few turns, sweep the units in the vicinity and heal and prepare for the last few units they are missing. The key is to make use of offensive stances to get a lot of damage in while having your beefy units be able to withstand their attacks.

Thanks for the help! Took a days break or so off the game and just went back it at now with the advice, and it ended up working out well for me! Thanks a ton! Will keep going on hard for now, was just successful in completely Paralogue 1 (was easy), hope Chapter 8 isn't too bad to where I need to end up asking for lots of help again -_-

champloo

Hey Peri is pretty awesome as well. But Effie is the best. She just took out Ryoma one-on-one in Chapter
, she even took a crit to the face like it was nothing.

Charlotte's drop-the-axe animation is so cool that I have to keep her on my team.

Astral Dog

What carries over to the other versions of the game? Does each version have unique supports for the shared characters?

I finished Birthright and I was pretty disappointed with the story (more on that on another post). I mean I heard it was bad but I didnt think it would be this bad. However, reading Gamespot and IGNs review for Revelations makes me excited to play it eventually. I want to finish up all the paralogues (all the ones I'm able to get anyways) and most of the supports for Birthright before moving on to Conquest. Its been a hectic last few days but I want to make this experience last as long as possible.

i thought Birthright was considered to have the best plot of all paths...
and read some nast things about Nohr

NeonZ

The supports of shared characters among each other are the same, aside from Corrin/Azura, which is different for each version. However, obviously the shared characters have different support sets with the version exclusive characters in Conquest and Birthright. Revelation adds a few supports between the version exclusive characters, and brings back all the version exclusive supports, although the support options between the different faction characters have more restricted options than the ones between characters from the same faction.

GSR

Started Birthright on Lunatic, figuring I'll just drop the difficulty if I hit a wall.

...This really is easier than Conquest, isn't it? Granted it's still early days but these first few chapters seem a lot more lenient than Conquest's. Of course, I hear the worst of it's near endgame...

Balphon

Is there something about Niles I am missing? His starting stats were terrible so the only thing I used him for was opening chests.

I'm on chapter 13 now; Mozu is 3 levels higher than him for me and beats him by 5+ in every stat except Res and Speed (hers is only 2 higher).

Okay so I managed to make it to Chapter 16 Conquest, the game is starting to get alot more challenging and I've been using more paired units lately to get through tough enemy spots and having to lure them towards me so I don't get overwhelmed.

Despite being unforgiving at times its definitely leagues above awakening, it could be my favorite FE game by far.

Wilsongt

Is there something about Niles I am missing? His starting stats were terrible so the only thing I used him for was opening chests.

I'm on chapter 13 now; Mozu is 3 levels higher than him for me and beats him by 5+ in every stat except Res and Speed (hers is only 2 higher).

He's a decent mage killer. I replaced him with Shura because his levels were lagging.

Chapter 25 and I am finding all sorts of ways to lose.

Thought I had a good plan figured out. Suddenly Sakura is force teleported across the map and triple teamed and killed by a brutal critical.

Fuck.

silva1991

Chapter 12 Conquest

1377664827_HjNMr.gif

31 enemy units is just insan

also I hate Peri's design

The Royals, Azura, Effie, Keaton, Niles, Beruka, Silas, and Felicia/Jakob are all quality units with (save Keaton) strong availability and they won't steer you wrong as long as they're actually gaining points (well Azura can gain jack shit and still be good). Beruka you want to turn her into a fighter for the extra hp and more balanced growths, but even without that she gives good pair-up bonuses for your tanks like Keaton so it doesn't hurt to deploy her. Odin turns out well if you dread fighter him immediately and segue into swordmaster eventually, too.

Also Charlotte is basically made for Xander, so you can just promote her and glue her onto him permanently without any need to raise her as long as you max their support out. Then watch his str and spd skyrocket.

Saizo is honestly a big softie. A good amount of his support convos are adorable.

These are roughly the units I've been using, although I haven't had a ton of great growth with Kaze. What's the best way to use Jakob effectively? He doesn't seem terribly powerful.

I am pretty sure that in my final tally, Niles will be way out in front as my MVP. I built him as an Adventurer and put a Shining Bow on him, and combined with his high speed, he kills everything, and allies adjacent to him can depend upon his damage to mop up anyhing else left on the board. If he's not killing, he's healing. I actually think my party setup may be too dependent on him. Low Def, yes, but Lucky Seven keeps enemies at a very low hit rate and I'm usually able to clear out any physical damage in the vicinity that can hit him. Great as a resilience-tank against magic users, too.

My Mozu is in good shape as well, but not primarily as an archer, and her Mag is far too low to do double-duty on physical and magical damage like my Niles, who switches between them more adapatbly than anyone else on my roster.

Boney

Banned
Gah was doing paralogue 2 and only had the boss and an Oni master which were super far away to finish it and I was slowly killing the oni (his defense is insane wtf). But swapped Niles in to get more exp and support and didn't realize he could ko me with his axe :(

Sad face

Thanks for the help! Took a days break or so off the game and just went back it at now with the advice, and it ended up working out well for me! Thanks a ton! Will keep going on hard for now, was just successful in completely Paralogue 1 (was easy), hope Chapter 8 isn't too bad to where I need to end up asking for lots of help again -_-
Great to hear! Chapter 10 is a huge difficulty spike but it's one of the most satisfying FEmblem experiences I and others have had in this thread. Hard is super unforgiving, but challenges you fairly unlike other games lunatic modes. It makes the game super engaging to actually strategize instead of steam rolling everything.

If you have any problems just ask away!

onionfrog

I did not think there could be a worse justification for children than fire emblem awakening's...

Boy was I wrong!

Should I do the paralogue to recruit Kana now or wait until I have promoted her parents and gotten better skills to pass down. I'm playing birthright at chapter 9 or 10 right now.

NeonZ

Should I do the paralogue to recruit Kana now or wait until I have promoted her parents and gotten better skills to pass down. I'm playing birthright at chapter 9 or 10 right now.

It depends on what you want to do. Both the child and the enemies in the paralogues will scale up to the point you are in the story. Get Kana now if you plan to use him/her immediately, otherwise wait.

Starting from chapter 19, they'll have Child seals that will change them to their 2nd class, level them up and give them weapon levels based on how much further you're in the story (by the last chapter they get to level 17 of their promoted classes).

His unique ability to capture enemies on the Conquest side gives him an in for gameplay time that he might not be given otherwise. Ended up a mediocre unit in my game anyway. However, his daughter Nina (via Elise who became quite solid, and just to match remaining pairs) turned out much better on my file and he was generally benched after that.

onionfrog

It depends on what you want to do. Both the child and the enemies in the paralogues will scale up to the point you are in the story. Get Kana now if you plan to use him/her immediately, otherwise wait.

Starting from chapter 19, they'll have Child seals that will change them to their 2nd class, level them up and give them weapon levels based on how much further you're in the story (by the last chapter they get to level 17 of their promoted classes).
Thanks. I may wait a bit, but it is cool that the children scale based on where you are in the story. That should really cut down on needing to grind levels in order to get them up to speed.

Busaiku

I wish I started using Capture.
Never bothered in Conquest, don't think I will in Birthright either.
Saving everything for Revelation...

NeonZ

I wish I started using Capture.
Never bothered in Conquest, don't think I will in Birthright either.
Saving everything for Revelation...

Capture in Conquest Hard and Lunatic can be useful, but it's pretty worthless in Birthright and also the neutral paralogues even in Conquest.

I don't think it has many uses in Revelations either, since most bosses will be unique characters that can't be captured or those invisible troops that can't be captured either. Although I guess there are the Conquest paralogue bosses. They have some unique skills too and decent stats, although I can't really say how good they are since I haven't tried using them yet, unlike the two from Conquest's main story (Kumagera and Haitaka) which were pretty useful.

PK Gaming

Started Birthright on Lunatic, figuring I'll just drop the difficulty if I hit a wall.

...This really is easier than Conquest, isn't it? Granted it's still early days but these first few chapters seem a lot more lenient than Conquest's. Of course, I hear the worst of it's near endgame...

I've been told that Hard/Conquest is actually more difficult than Lunatic/Birthright, so you should be good to go! But yeah, some of those later chapters can be pretty nasty if your squad isn't fully trained up though!

Anura

Who else here turned Odin into a samurai? He feels so much better as one. Heck, his base strength growths are better than his base magic growths

Draxal

Who else here turned Odin into a samurai? He feels so much better as one. Heck, his base strength growths are better than his base magic growths

I turned him into his actual best class (dark flier).

Nintendo Direct happening tomorrow, is anyone hoping that the game will be update to support the Roy amiibo?

I'm hoping, but I think it's pretty unlikely. Maybe the'll add fem robin/corrin amiibo support as well, and announce map pack 2 (yeah right).

NeonZ

I guess there's a chance we could get a 2nd DLC season announced, considering the localized name of the DLC pack. And, yes, there's Roy too, which could be tied to the 2nd DLC pack, like how all other Amiibo classes had their own DLCs. Although Roy's presumably would need to be another limited seal, since it's a lord class.

You know what is secretly an awesome addition?

The pre-battle facial expressions.

So many times I was thinking of making a certain battle choice and noticed the character had a pained expression on their face which made to re-evaluate the battle or select a different weapon that would result in a lower chance of the enemy hitting or causing better damage.

Squire

Banned
You know what is secretly an awesome addition?

The pre-battle facial expressions.

So many times I was thinking of making a certain battle choice and noticed the character had a pained expression on their face which made to re-evaluate the battle or select a different weapon that would result in a lower chance of the enemy hitting or causing better damage.

Yeah, this is a *fantastic* touch. One of the small details that's easy to overlook, but I really appreciate it after picking up on if.

Draxal

with only two dark flier's available, I had to give it to characters that would make better use of Galeforce.

Available 3/17/2016
Royal Royale
A battle to determine the strongest royal. And the last one standing is—
Price: US$2.49MSRP*/CA$3.19MSRP*
Difficulty: ★★★★
Rewards: An item to raise all stats (first time only), Dread scroll / ebon wing (every time)

Of course, the map's on the tough side, but you can get additional items.

I died twice on Nohr Ch. 20 because I forgot Confidence (I'll call it that for now) doesn't factor whether or not the enemy has Counter to screw you over. Expected archers, not mages to have it. >.> I think it doesn't factor Vantage either?

Outside those fringe cases though, it really is a nice touch for figuring out whether you'll win a matchup without having to look at any numbers.

Anteo

I finished chapter 12 conquest and got both chests. Getting the chest was the tricky part, I had to get Effie teleported to the right room first to clear enemies, then hope for Corrin to get teleported too, I could not just open the door because of the archer with the swap skill. After that was the final push using the dragon vein (activated by Azura), going from the side makes it easier, but my middle was super weak with only 4 untis to defend against the enemy push. Left side almost falls too, I was forced to use Laslow and Peri to clear enemies because I was getting overun, I didnt want to give them exp.. oh well.

Effect

Are both games around the same length? Or is one suppose to be shorter then the other?

Haven't opened my copy of the special edition yet but trying to figure out which one to start first.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Birthright 18 Lunatic grindless:

Is this level supposed to be just a support/weapon grind level? They keep spawning these faceless dudes and I'm just trying to get everyone's new E rank weapons to D+. Or maybe I should field some of the dudes I never used to train them? Probably not worth it.

Also, I don't think I'm going to put in the time to support grind out all the kids. Will the paralogues in Revelation be the same maps as Birthright/Conquest? I'll do them if the maps are unique I suppose.

Draxal

Birthright 18 Lunatic grindless:

Is this level supposed to be just a support/weapon grind level? They keep spawning these faceless dudes and I'm just trying to get everyone's new E rank weapons to D+. Or maybe I should field some of the dudes I never used to train them? Probably not worth it.

Also, I don't think I'm going to put in the time to support grind out all the kids. Will the paralogues in Revelation be the same maps as Birthright/Conquest? I'll do them if the maps are unique I suppose

Yes, the same maps. So many of them, that I would only recommending grinding for the kids in one of the three playthroughs, or you'll get major burnout.

Yes, the same maps. So many of them, that I would only recommending grinding for the kids in one of the three playthroughs, or you'll get major burnout.
Ive been grinding out in conquest thinking its stupid to be doing...but I have to at least see all the MC S ranks, and the way I figured doing that was Male MC in conquest and birthright and female in revelations. At the same time then Ive been doing all the child grindouts and realizing I'll have to do that again in revelations...

I might have to just rush my play through of birthright at this point and eitehr skip getting the children, or skip getting all MC S ranks

Dimmle

What's a good number of units to focus on for a core team in Conquest? I found 14 to be a magic number for Birthright but I'm expecting a smaller squad for Nohr.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Birthright sure gets a lot of mileage out of the rout objective with its creative map designs.
Yeah, I have to say I'm not disliking the open maps in Birthright.

Maps like ch13 and ch16 were fun. I think ch16 was probably the best use of Dragon Vein in Birthright so far.

Saizo is amazing. I thought he would be a generic dark and broody ninja guy but he's awesome. I heard good things about Saizo/Sakura supports as well.

i thought Birthright was considered to have the best plot of all paths...
and read some nast things about Nohr

According to IGN, Gamespot and Destructoid (the only ones with Revelation reviews up IIRC) they all said Revelation had the best story out of the three. But then I re-read IGN's review and they liked Birthrights story too so I dunno how to feel now. Sigh.

At least every other aspect of the game is 10/10.

The supports of shared characters among each other are the same, aside from Corrin/Azura, which is different for each version. However, obviously the shared characters have different support sets with the version exclusive characters in Conquest and Birthright. Revelation adds a few supports between the version exclusive characters, and brings back all the version exclusive supports, although the support options between the different faction characters have more restricted options than the ones between characters from the same faction.

So if Revelation has all the characters from both Birthright and Nohr, I should just wait until then to unlock all the supports among version exclusive characters (and unlock the kids)? Like Hoshido characters in Revelation wont have any new supports with each other in Revelation right?

I still plan on trying out some pairings in Hoshido that I wont in Revelation.

Top Bottom