• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

PK Gaming

Finished Birthright

The improvements to gameplay are pretty self evident, so I'll be talking about the story:

For better or for worse, Birthright's story was pretty standard. The main character assembles an army to take down a corrupt foe in order to liberate the land/save the world. You've seen it a thousand times—it's present in more than half of Fire Emblem stories for god sakes—so no points for originality, but the execution was actually pretty good. Unlike Awakening's, which tried (and failed) to condense 3 seperate stories into one game, Corrin's conflict against Nohr spans the entire game, giving it the proper development it needed.

As far as lord's go, Corrin herself was a pretty good character. I don't think her personality is anything special, but it's her background, growth and relationship with her family members that make her compelling. It's her clashes with her former siblings that make up the emotional highs of the game. You aren't fighting against some random douche wearing an ascot, you're fighting against former family members. Above all else, your former family members are upset at your betrayal. It wasn't the various threats to kill me that unnerved me, but their immense sadness of their family being broken up. As a result, confrontations were appropriately emotional (with Leo's being the undisputed best by far) and arguably the best parts of the game. I can't even begin to imagine how it's like on Conquest, since Corrin doesn't have past ties with her Hoshidan siblings. The characters in general were pretty good. Between the Hoshidan and Nohrian families (the former of which I didn't expect to like at all), the villains (Hans and Iago are memorable and likeable), and the various side characters, there was plenty to love here.

What I didn't like was how the game handled story deaths. They were all pretty bad. From Flora's suicide, to Lilith's incredibly random death; I had problems with pretty much all of them. The player barely knows Flora, so you can't really connect to Corrin/Felicia's grief, and her own depression/guilt isn't properly conveyed, so it's hard to feel anything other than annoyance (like Jakob, lol). I think a flashback would have been appropriate. Lilith's was even worse. She stops being a character early on, and randomly reappears to die? What? Elise's death did make me sad, but it could have been even more poignant if she had joined up sooner. Sadly, her death was fairly cliched. Azura's similarly could have been done well had there was more nuance to her potential demise, but they beat it over your head constantly. When she sung that last song, you knew her time was up.

(gasps of increasing discomfort)

Ultimately, the problem with these deaths is that they're just here for the sake of being sad. There isn't enough proper build up. The exception to this was Xander's death (which actually had appropriate buildup) was still marred by Elise dying shortly before. I really wish it was its own thing, rather than a death that followed up a previous death. I think it would have been great to see the rest of the royal siblings react to that. As an aside, that duel between him and Corrin was straight up Star Wars. Even their weapons were basically compliments of each other!

The climax was good, albeit extremely anime. I won't lie, Corrin's "return" and the final boss music got me more excited than I liked to admit. It was standard, but goddamn it, it was just so satisfying. In the end, Garon was as hollow as I expected him to be, but at least it was satisfying to finally put that fucker in the ground. I'm sure he gets development on the other routes, but i'm not sure I want to hear them. I like the idea of him being diametrically opposed to peace, and I was hoping they'd chronicle his descent into madness (presumably after his wife died), but it's implied that he's possessed by his dragon blood or some shit. Oh well. I won't lie, I got misty eyed during the ending.

When all's said and done, I feel like Birthright's story was a good with a few hiccups. As far as FE goes, it's one of my more liked narratives, and I'm curious to see how Conquest approaches it.
Hana is the best character

pariah164

-
Something tells me that she has feelings for Jakob, but no supports for the two
Shades of Cordelia and Chrom from Awakening.

In all seriousness, Chapter 17 was gutting. I was literally screaming "YOU BLOODY IDIOT" at my 3DS; was given more than a few looks.

Balphon

I had that happen three times. Three. In a row. I'm not feeding her anymore. Beginning to wonder if it's a story thing or if the game just hates her.

Lilith's growths are not random. If you get nothing she is capped on at least that stat and you need to upgrade her building.

silva1991

Those archer's "counter" on Conquest chapter 11

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30742-1380680075-0.gif

khaaan

I think I went a little too underleveled into the Paralogue for the MC's child ;_;
(What happens if you're a lady Corrin since the children are based on the fathers in this one?)

All my characters are around level 10 and I can handle the map except for a cluster of three falcon knights that come at you all at once. Even my only Archer (Setsuna, level 5-6) can't take one out, right now I'm managing two by having Setsuna attack (which takes out most of the opponents HP) and then following up with another character to finish the job. Using Azura I'm able to sing which means I can take out a second Falcon Knight but the third one remains and is able to take out seemingly anyone if not in the first hit, the second.

I found a little bit of success by turtling all my units in the center and fending em off, I'll try again by doing that unit pair thing and see if I can scrape by. If not I'll have to decide whether I can stomach loosing a unit in sacrifice :(

Rinkah does technically owe me her life.

Lynx_7

Chapter 13 Conquest was a much needed breather after the punch-kick to the gut that was 10 and 12 (11 wasn't any slacker either), managed to beat it on my first try and get some level ups for a few units that needed it. I'm thinking about ditching either Silas or Peri from my team. I feel like the former has been getting left behind, to the point where he can barely do anything without me fearing for his survival and I pretty much have to babysit his kills. Peri is a little stronger and has that sweet bloodthirst (or something) ability but she also manages to be even frailer than him so there's that.
On the other hand Felicia is back to boss status after I gave her the flame shuriken and a spirit dust. She can one shot low-mid res dudes left and right.

At which chapter should I start using master seals? I usually only do it whenever a unit reaches level 20 but I'm a little afraid of my exp-sharing between units being inadequate or too spread out. So far Corrin is the closest one, sitting at a 17 or 18.
I still regret wasting a few levels worth of exp on Odin and Nyx

I really wish I had more time to actually play the game. University has been taking up all of my free time lately.

Watching a unit 3 times dodge attacks that could kill them is one of the most heart stopping things.

Happened to me in Hoshido Ch.15 after already having to restart once from a stupid mistake. Actually, it might have been two units with three total dodges, but still, my grip on the 3DS was so tight.

Also, I don't know if it's just this game and growth rates are lower than Awakening, but I just finished Hoshido Ch.16 (Hard) and so many of my characters are terrible. Almost no one is even near 30 HP, only a few people have decent defense, and most of my kills come from exploiting weaknesses. I definitely like that it's making me play more strategically than in Awakening, but I can't help but wonder if I'm just getting RNG screwed or if it's something up with Fates (maybe to compensate for the longer length?).

Ogodei

Those archer's "counter" on Conquest chapter 11

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30742-1380680075-0.gif

Designed to make sure you have to fight them on their terms. I did lose to them once because i didn't even know they had the skill, though.

Fortunately i haven't encountered that skill on archers since (though i've only done chapter 12 since then, plus a few of the paralogues).

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like the former has been getting left behind, to the point where he can barely do anything without me fearing for his survival and I pretty much have to babysit his kills. Peri is a little stronger and has that sweet bloodthirst (or something) ability but she also manages to be even frailer than him so there's that.
Peri's a great unit with a lot of speed and strength and amazing hair. Stick with her.

Lynx_7

Happened to me in Hoshido Ch.15 after already having to restart once from a stupid mistake. Actually, it might have been two units with three total dodges, but still, my grip on the 3DS was so tight.

Also, I don't know if it's just this game and growth rates are lower than Awakening, but I just finished Hoshido Ch.16 (Hard) and so many of my characters are terrible. Almost no one is even near 30 HP, only a few people have decent defense, and most of my kills come from exploiting weaknesses. I definitely like that it's making me play more strategically than in Awakening, but I can't help but wonder if I'm just getting RNG screwed or if it's something up with Fates (maybe to compensate for the longer length?).

I think it's intentional. On Awakening I also had quite an army of Super Saiyans (Donnel, Tharja, Robin, Nowi, and a few children were pretty much invincible by themselves, to the point where Robin almost soloed the last chapter) whereas in Conquest I can't say anyone qualifies as an army-killer besides maybe Camilla, and even then she pretty much dies at the mention of the word "bow".

Moonlight said:
Peri's a great unit with a lot of speed and strength and amazing hair. Stick with her.
I'm definetely a little more inclined to keep her at the moment.

Neol

Chapter 13 Conquest was a much needed breather after the punch-kick to the gut that was 10 and 12 (11 wasn't any slacker either), managed to beat it on my first try and get some level ups for a few units that needed it. I'm thinking about ditching either Silas or Peri from my team. I feel like the former has been getting left behind, to the point where he can barely do anything without me fearing for his survival and I pretty much have to babysit his kills. Peri is a little stronger and has that sweet bloodthirst (or something) ability but she also manages to be even frailer than him so there's that.
On the other hand Felicia is back to boss status after I gave her the flame shuriken and a spirit dust. She can one shot low-mid res dudes left and right.

At which chapter should I start using master seals? I usually only do it whenever a unit reaches level 20 but I'm a little afraid of my exp-sharing between units being inadequate or too spread out. So far Corrin is the closest one, sitting at a 17 or 18.
I still regret wasting a few levels worth of exp on Odin and Nyx

I really wish I had more time to actually play the game. University has been taking up all of my free time lately.

Yea as much as I like Silas the growths on him in my play through aren't as great as I expected it to be. My Peri only loses him to skill and luck as she is getting 3+ growths every level up since I got her plus she comes with good weapon proficiency as well.

Stat efficiency its best to use a master seal at level 20 but if your having trouble then I say go for it. If I remember correctly I think it was around chpater 15 or 16 where I started to promote. If you need to grind try to get one of the child paralogues early as pretty much any one of them give a ton of exp.

EFFIE was my fucking hero in that stage.
She almost solo'ed the entire right half and SOLO'ed the entire middle room by herself. Holy freaking jesus christ. Bless EFFIE the Javalin God.

Effie was honestly my hero for every early game stage. Just having a pure tank helps a bunch plus having amazing STR and SPD growths just adds to that.

silva1991

Designed to make sure you have to fight them on their terms. I did lose to them once because i didn't even know they had the skill, though.

Fortunately i haven't encountered that skill on archers since (though i've only done chapter 12 since then, plus a few of the paralogues).

EFFIE was my fucking hero in that stage.
She almost solo'ed the entire right half and SOLO'ed the entire middle room by herself. Holy freaking jesus christ. Bless EFFIE the Javalin God.

I managed to beat the archers and ninjas(rip Kaze)

but now I'm scared of going to the room with 3 paired sword's men :(

oh God.

Draxal

Any info on how to get the card game DLC characters here in the US? Are the plans to localize the card game?

You can't, and I think there was some interest (I believe they mentioned wanted to talk to the guy who runs the worldofcipher website) but I really really really really doubt it will ever come to the states.

Best bet is for those assets to be used in a mobage game.

Weebos

Banned
Finished Conquest, I enjoyed it on Classic Hard, but there were some missions where I was definitely beating my head against the wall.

On the final mission:
I basically just zerged it, losing like 8 units. I knew they wouldn't stay dead because the save goes back to before the last mission. Felt cheap, but I don't think I'm going to run back through it to feel better about myself. That last stretch is totally doable too, I was just intentionally reckless.
The big downside was that I couldn't add any of those units to my logbook afterwards. I also accidentally skipped the credits reel/epilogue stuff because it was midnight.

I'll play through again at some point, and I imagine I will have an easier time.

Now I'm diving into Birthright, hopefully I can finish that before Revelation comes out.

Anteo

oh God.

Yeah that room is the scarier one. Even scarier than the monks. I actually had to attack from both sides to make it.

massoluk

Banned

oh God.

I make a mistake on my original post left != right.
Just send in Elfie alone (may be pair her up if you're in doubt), seriously. Finish the left half first then send Effie alone up the stair. She cleared the double swordman room by herself

How can I miss so many fucking 70+ percent hits in a row. Across multiple resets. Why does the RNGoddess hate me so much. orz

I've had Corrin get hit by three Berserkers at sub-30% in a row for not very funny enemy phase results. >.> This happened across maybe a quarter of my resets on one particular map. At the same time, I got a pretty consistent dodge at 70% -- a lethal 70% at that -- on that same map that worked three quarters of the time maybe. Didn't really keep track of results.

I'd -guess- there's a main RN table that the game works off of and a secondary table it uses every couple of resets. Resetting reverts the position back to where it was at the start for repeated misses. I dunno. Just guessing here.

What are the weapon rank bonuses at S rank?

Kunai / Swords: 4 Mt, +5 Hit
Axe: +2 Mt, +15 Hit
Tomes / Bows / Lances: +3 Mt, +10 Hit
Staves: +3 Recovery, +10 Hit

Triangle bonus: +2 Mt, +20 Hit at advantage, -2 Mt, -20 Hit at disadvantage

pariah164

Speaking of Mozu, thanks to my support grinding, she got to level 20 and is finally able to take a hit or two. Should I use a Master/Heart Seal on her, or save it for Oboro? I really only need one Naginata-wielder in this army...

Cruxist

Well, finally suffered my first death. Goodbye, Camilla. You saved me in one mission, then I boxed you only to bring you back durin my time of need. I'll never forget that one time you supported me.

Squire

Banned
Speaking of Mozu, thanks to my support grinding, she got to level 20 and is finally able to take a hit or two. Should I use a Master/Heart Seal on her, or save it for Oboro? I really only need one Naginata-wielder in this army...

She's a great archer. Heart Seal into that, get the skills, then promote to Sniper.

Finally beat Conquest 20. Still an awful map, but at least I got the useful rewards.

Also, even though you get so much more money on Birthright I'm finding that the amount of dough you can get in Conquest is still way more than you need to spend. Maybe it's different on Lunatic because you have to buy a shitload of tonics or something? idk but the "limited resources" seem relatively abundant anyways, though I guess that's the case for most FEs not called Thracia or Shadow Dragon (or maybe FE12 but I haven't played that~)

Balphon

If you already took all 20 levels as villager you may be better off just promoting to Master of Arms so she can keep using lances.

Heart Seal would have been better earlier to get the bow ranks and better strength growth.

Birthright 23

This is fucking absurd. My healers are fucking working overtime here. Fuck Camilia and her nuke for 10 damage every fucking turn.

pariah164

If you already took all 20 levels as villager you may be better off just promoting to Master of Arms so she can keep using lances.

Heart Seal would have been better earlier to get the bow ranks and better strength growth.
Hm. That's also a good point. Dammit, if I had access to more Seals, this wouldn't be such an agonizing choice.

Boney

Banned
She definately seems like a good unit but gets too late in the game to replace Sylas and doesn't get her own child so I'm dropping her this run. Sylas hasn't gotten that good of growths either but at least has lots of supports and I'm getting his kid soon.

Squire

Banned
I was gonna promote Setsuna to Kinshi Knight, so that'll work.

Seems like you lucked out if your Setsuna is actually viable going into late game. Seems like she's been a bad draw for most people, myself included. Shame, since I think she's charming in her supports.

pariah164

Seems like you lucked out if your Setsuna is actually viable going into late game. Seems like she's been a bad draw for most people, myself included. Shame, since I think she's charming in her supports.
I use her more than Takumi because I like her character so much. She can OHKO most fliers, and is almost ready to promote.

spiritfox

Birthright 23

This is fucking absurd. My healers are fucking working overtime here. Fuck Camilia and her nuke for 10 damage every fucking turn.

Use the side alleys and pair ups to minimize damage during the fireball turn. She does it every other turn, so you can pop out, kill someone, then pop back in again. Also she can only hit 1 lane at a time, so use units to direct her attacks.

Phocks

Well, finally suffered my first death. Goodbye, Camilla. You saved me in one mission, then I boxed you only to bring you back durin my time of need. I'll never forget that one time you supported me.
Why would you bench one of the best units in the route then get her killed rofl

Use the side alleys and pair ups to minimize damage during the fireball turn. She does it every other turn, so you can pop out, kill someone, then pop back in again. Also she can only hit 1 lane at a time, so use units to direct her attacks.
It was working till the end....then Sophie got Crit'd in the turn just before I won.

I

Want

To

Scream

I finished it out and saved and I'm seriously considering going on.

pariah164

After deliberating, I decided to promote Mozu to Master of Arms, then bump Takumi to Sniper later, if I feel like it. Hopefully, I'll make up the Master Seals I've used when the shop upgrades again...

I am pretty sure she did it to me every turn. What difficulty did you play on? I was on Hard.

Edit: Since top of the page, this is replying to Birthright Chapter 23.

Top Bottom