• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shifty1897

Just hit Conquest 25 this morning (normal casual). Soon after I finish, I plan on getting birthright and doing a normal classic attempt.

Shun

if anyone needs avatar resize yourself

Vrcz6H1.png

Cruxist

Finally beat Conquest 20 without losing anyone!!!

I put the hero and Xander on my two fliers, and moved them into the current to the right of the start spot just out of attack range. They get boosted up. I trigger the dragon vein on turn two, moves all of the enemies except one out of range of the boss platform. Dock and break apart my teams surrounding that enemy. Next turn, kill the enemy, pair up main character and Xander and hit the boss. Turn after that, kill the boss with my fliers and seize the throne!

Cheesiest Firem Emblem victory by far, but I am damn proud of it.

Luke_Wal

So, after finally finishing Awakening last week, I've started Birthright. Just wrapped up Chapter 8, I think?
The one with the Wind Tribe where you get a new Diviner

Does the game ever get less Japanese? It's not a problem for me, but I just find it kind of weird that lances are renamed Naginatas, that tomes have been replaced with these animal spells, and that the word sword seems to have been replaced with Katana. I find that most of the names are a lot more Japanese, too, which can sometimes make it harder for me to keep them straight, although I remember the Nohr names being more Anglicized than the Hoshido names in the beginning. Is it just that this game takes a lot more cues from samurai culture rather than medieval culture? Seeing as Awakening is the only other one I've played, I'm just wondering if this is the way the series has usually been with Awakening being the exception, or does this game take the series in a more unique way?

So, after finally finishing Awakening last week, I've started Birthright. Just wrapped up Chapter 8, I think?

Does the game ever get less Japanese? It's not a problem for me, but I just find it kind of weird that lances are renamed Naginatas, that tomes have been replaced with these animal spells, and that the word sword seems to have been replaced with Katana. I find that most of the names are a lot more Japanese, too, which can sometimes make it harder for me to keep them straight, although I remember the Nohr names being more Anglicized than the Hoshido names in the beginning. Is it just that this game takes a lot more cues from samurai culture rather than medieval culture? Seeing as Awakening is the only other one I've played, I'm just wondering if this is the way the series has usually been with Awakening being the exception, or does this game take the series in a more unique way?
Birthright follows a family that is more Japanese influenced.
Conquest will be more European.

Usually the series is all Europe-y, Fates distinguishes Hoshido and Nohr by giving the former Japanese names and aesthetics while making the latter pseudo-European like most FE nations.

PsionBolt

Hoshido is fantasy-Japan-land, while Nohr is normal Fire Emblem. The Hoshidan weapons don't replace the normal ones, they're in addition. For example, naginata differ from lances in that all naginata give def/res +1. Similarly, yumi are bows that give res +2, and so on. If you play Nohr, you can't even buy or forge the Hoshidan weapons (though you still get some).

The classes mostly have equivalents, too. Nohr gets mercenaries where Hoshido gets samurai, fighters instead of oni, mages instead of diviners, and so on.

Sapientas

For the promotion (master) seals, yes, unless you really need the promote boost early.

The other seal types will reclass the unit and retain its current level.

There's also a final type that raises a unit's level cap once they max out their promote, but I think those are rare and late enough to be more of a novelty.

As far as I can tell:
- Master Seals (promotions) at level 20.
- Offspring Seals (promotions for children who start at level 20) whenever you are finally ready to deploy the child on the field, as their promoted level will scale with your campaign progress.
- Heart/Friendship Seals (same level reclassing) at level 10+ for unpromoted classes, 15+ for promoted classes (so you already have the skills from the original class).

Not having played around with Heart/Friendship seals myself, I actually have no idea whether you pick up class skills retroactively if you reclass someone who is already capped at 20 or promoted.
Thanks, that clears a lot of my questions. The in-game guide doesn't cover some important issues regarding this.

Yea defeat her as well.

Visiting castles online and doing stuff like Arena or battling them gets you points.

Its kinda weird cause the game is kinda leaning you to have Azura as your love interest.

Japan is weird.
Well their former Prime Minister was married to his cousin, so it doesn't seem to be as big of deal over there like it is in the West.

I'm just surprised NOA didn't change it at all over here; considering how trigger happy they generally are. Heck, they even added an new confession scene for the Conquest campaign instead of reusing the Birthright one.

Luke_Wal

Hoshido is fantasy-Japan-land, while Nohr is normal Fire Emblem. The Hoshidan weapons don't replace the normal ones, they're in addition. For example, naginata differ from lances in that all naginata give def/res +1. Similarly, yumi are bows that give res +2, and so on. If you play Nohr, you can't even buy or forge the Hoshidan weapons (though you still get some).

The classes mostly have equivalents, too. Nohr gets mercenaries where Hoshido gets samurai, fighters instead of oni, mages instead of diviners, and so on.

Very interesting. So when I play Conquest, it'll have all the names that I'm used to and stuff? What a unique way to go about it: it really does make the game feel different. I wonder what Revelations is like. Mix of both, I would assume?

BlackJace

Lost Nyx in Conquest 10, and am considering moving on since I'm so fucking sick of restarting the chapter.

Any good mages soon?

Man, Conquest normal/classic still puts up a fight at the end. Just finished the first time and, well, there were casualties...Going to redo it to finish with more dignity although I did keep most preferred characters intact the first time. Despite the oddball (at times unfortunate) story, I enjoyed the Nohr characters quite a bit and am happy that my first experience with Fates was Conquest. Over time, I'm sure I'll return to it on a harder difficulty.

Will start up Revelations soon for a slower burn, relaxed hard/classic playthrough. Really not interested in fighting for the Hoshidans, so skipping Birthright for now. I'll interact with the characters in Revelations anyway.

Anteo

Lost Nyx in Conquest 10, and am considering moving on since I'm so fucking sick of restarting the chapter.

Any good mages soon?

The way conquest seems to work, any mage with low defense will die super fast, you cant baby sit your units as much. But Odin int sucks so..

Anustart

This is your first FE right?

How's it going?

Yep my first! Going great. Loving it! A lot more to it than I had previously thought, and very rewarding doing each mission with no one dead. Yeah I'm playing classic and resetting. Might do a classic with no restarts later!

Anteo

Any good mages soon?

The way conquest seems to work, any mage with low defense will die super fast, you cant baby sit your units as much. But Odin int sucks so..

LOOOOOOL cheesing Conquest 21 on Hard is hilarious, Boots Camilla with a defense tonic paired up with Paladin Corrin managed to hit a Dragon's Vein every turn and only had to survive the Stoneborn, hilarious stuff.

GamerSoul

That was the Chapter I power leveled Oboro and Hinata from like 13 to 20. Just set up at a choke point and drown in the EXP It only stopped because the boss
came after me. I think it was because I opened the last treasure chest.

I don't remember having a similar experience on that stage... And Oboro is on my mvp list. I gave her a guard lance and she's been my shield on the front lines taking names.

L95

LOOOOOOL cheesing Conquest 21 on Hard is hilarious, Boots Camilla with a defense tonic paired up with Paladin Corrin managed to hit a Dragon's Vein every turn and only had to survive the Stoneborn, hilarious stuff.

I think the dragon veins really made that chapter too easy, should be like half the number of them there.

It seems like it would have been pretty difficult if I hadn't cheesed it but I didn't actually try a normal run so maybe it's not that bad.

Chapter 21 plot spoilers
lol Lilith's death was EVEN WORSE in this route what was the point of this?

Shun

It seems like it would have been pretty difficult if I hadn't cheesed it but I didn't actually try a normal run so maybe it's not that bad.

Chapter 21 plot spoilers
lol Lilith's death was EVEN WORSE in this route what was the point of this?

To remind you that this is war and not episode of Pokemon.

Chapter 21 is difficult when attempted with a normal party. But the way it is designed you can easily just go through with like 4 units.

I think you can just stall this map too and grind experience.

To remind you that this is war and not episode of Pokemon.

Chapter 21 is difficult when attempted with a normal party. But the way it is designed you can easily just go through with like 4 units.

I mean yes but Lilith is just such a non character and then she randomly dies? I thought the rest of the deaths in Birthright were handled decently (and I have no idea who else will die in Conquest) but it's just so silly, like she comes out of nowhere to die randomly.

L95

iHJjGCq.jpg

You cannot. (and I was on normal, so I assume this isn't a difficulty thing)

I mean yes but Lilith is just such a non character and then she randomly dies? I thought the rest of the deaths in Birthright were handled decently (and I have no idea who else will die in Conquest) but it's just so silly, like she comes out of nowhere to die randomly.

Agreed.
Lilith has near zero story prescence outside of Nohr's first chapter when they're going through the woods. If she even just said something every now and then, it'd be better, but I don't recall her appearing anytime in dialogue in chapters 7 through 20.

I don't remember having a similar experience on that stage... And Oboro is on my mvp list. I gave her a guard lance and she's been my shield on the front lines taking names.

I hadn't really used her an Hinata very much prior to that level. I basically put them next to each other where enemies could only attack one in the bottom left of the map, and put Felicia next to the one in the choke point and kept healing. Basically could take 2 out a turn and they were technically level 19 or so enemies. I sent a group of people along the top to take out the thief enemies and get the treasure chests.

Busaiku

Ugh, chapter 15 of Birthright had to be the most frustrating chapter yet.
1 enemy towards the end of almost every try got a 2% critical...

Took like 5 hours to get favorable RNG...
Was thinking of lowering the difficulty if that last run didn't do me any favors.

Busaiku

WHAT THE HECK
Birthright 15 spoilers
I COULD'VE KEPT KAZE?!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I am never playing Fire Emblem without a guide again.

WHAT THE HECK
Birthright 15 spoilers
I COULD'VE KEPT KAZE?!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Yup.
I restarted the game. Only took 3-4 hours to catch up since I just breezed through the cutscenes, supports and levels.

He has good supports too.

Shun

CYRnIB_U0AAQVS-.jpg

WHAT THE HECK
Birthright 15 spoilers
I COULD'VE KEPT KAZE?!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

That's what you get for being a terrible friend to a loyal companion. Always worth experience the bad end at least once.

Top Bottom