• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

They went the distance and included it into the base game.

Its not good enough :/

The Fates beach DLC has one picture for each royal (so 8 pictures in the Fates DLC chapter vs 4 pictures in the Beach and Hotspring DLCs from Awakening), but none of the support-like conversations for other characters.

Oh sweet. I like the pictures but what I really enjoyed about those DLC were the really long support conversations in the middle of battles. Some of them were ridiculous and hilarious like Lucina and mom dolls and others gave great insight into the characters.

That reminds me, I still need to finish the Future Past DLCs. I found them brutally hard so I got discouraged. Those had excellent conversations. Would have been pretty sweet if they released Present / Future versions of Awakening.

Honestly, it was Kris that I was really worried about. And I'm not sure, how Nintendo of America would handle that one thing.

Big Spoilers for FE4.

Alvis/Deidre, it's not even the incest part that's the really bad part of them, it's the brainwashing of Deidre

honestly i wonder how would they even release fe5 without ruining the plot
with child hunts being a big part of it

Astral Dog

Its not good enough :/

Oh sweet. I like the pictures but what I really enjoyed about those DLC were the really long support conversations in the middle of battles. Some of them were ridiculous and hilarious like Lucina and mom dolls and others gave great insight into the characters.

That reminds me, I still need to finish the Future Past DLCs. I found them brutally hard so I got discouraged. Those had excellent conversations. Would have been pretty sweet if they released Present / Future versions of Awakening.

Be careful, i bought the beach DLC, and its lame, no support conversations, and the characters are divided in teams with their own stats, its very difficult to even beat the other units.

Shun

Leaks of Aqua's child.
not really.

&

Honestly, it was Kris that I was really worried about. And I'm not sure, how Nintendo of America would handle that one thing.

Big Spoilers for FE4.

Alvis/Deidre, it's not even the incest part that's the really bad part of them, it's the brainwashing of Deidre
honestly i wonder how would they even release fe5 without ruining the plot
with child hunts being a big part of it
Last comment I don't want to derail this any further.

But why even take it out or downplay the significance. It is a huge part of the story and it is part of how tragic the whole event is. You can't just go and say oh we kidnapped you to raise these adopted or former kids.

FE4 and 5 really really drive those aspects and motifs home and it would really cater to a Cero C/M Game of Thrones setting and demographic.

I would be playing the game in Japanese regardless but the games deserve a new breath of life while keeping all the family drama. People fucking die and that is the consequence of war. The Awakening and Fates crowd never got to experience the kind of sadness and suffering you feel with FE4 and 5 and why not introduce those aspects to them and there? At the very least they'll get to experience a good story for once.

Forget all that we will live together happy shit, your family dies, your best friend dies, but your children and the second generation get to live on and break a new future. That was the whole beauty of it. To see the tragedy of the old generation and see the effects later on.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I found out I probably should have reclassed Mozu into an archer at lvl 10. She's at lvl 15 now, did I fuck up? How badly did I fuck up?

Insolitus

Banned
Hmm, so it seems like you have much more freedom to grab a lot of skills then. In Awakening you were more limited in trying to grab extra skills from other classes because you'd have to go to 5/10 which was a significant investment. But if you can get the 5/10 skills of another class with only 2 levels, that seems crazy good. You could reclass for two levels, reclass for another two, then reclass back and have four extra skills in as many levels.

Kind of but you can't make your unit stupidly OP anymore by reclassing to a lower level then building back up. I find it's easier and less expensive if you just go to other castles and take their skills.

Luigi87

So I found out I probably should have reclassed Mozu into an archer at lvl 10. She's at lvl 15 now, did I fuck up? How badly did I fuck up?

Well it's just after Lv.10 she wouldn't learn any more Villager skills. You can still reclass her, and she'll get her Archer skills on her next level ups.

Holy crap. Trying to do
Shiro's
paralogue quest at Birthright 25 Hard mode. I have them on suicide watch. One, maybe two turns in and they die attacking one of the enemies. I can rush with the dad but just can't reach it in time. So frustrating.

hmm wait a minute I think Xander can straight up ORKO the final boss in Conquest with a +1 Brave Sword forge

I'll make a note of that when I get there

edit: nvm you can't get a +1 forge but you still can stack enough strength anyway

Neol

Holy crap. Trying to do
Shiro's
paralogue quest at Birthright 25 Hard mode. I have them on suicide watch. One, maybe two turns in and they die attacking one of the enemies. I can rush with the dad but just can't reach it in time. So frustrating.

Yea I needed to use a rescue staff in order to get him. Think there some other ways using falcon knights and azura but its pretty frustrating.

Ninferno

Be careful, i bought the beach DLC, and its lame, no support conversations, and the characters are divided in teams with their own stats, its very difficult to even beat the other units.

Well, some of the battle dialogs (the ones shown when a unit enters battle for the first time) are hilarious so there is that. The conclusion dialogs at the end between the two retainers (those who serve the team leader you choose, in my case Camilla. I don't know about the rest yet) are also actually quite amusing.

As for difficulty, there are dragon veins everywhere, at least one near each group, which lowers every stat of your opponents by a whopping 8-point. Like, isn't that enough? And the opponents drop healing/buff items too. It poses some challenge but I won't call it difficult at all. Again, I have only played it as Team Camilla (which has great weapons & classes composition) once so I can say for the others, but I won't imagine playing as them are vastly more difficult either.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Question: Whenever you reclass, you retain your level, right? And if you are past the level where you learn a class's skill, you learn its skill on the next level up, right? As well as any skills from the base class?

So, why would I ever worry about base class skills when promoted classes always learn the base class skills?

Ninferno

Not at all. You still have more than enough level-ups for the archer skills. The only thing you lose is just the extra effort you paid to level her up from 10 to 15 as a villager, to be perfectly honest:)

Ninferno

Question: Whenever you reclass, you retain your level, right? And if you are past the level where you learn a class's skill, you learn its skill on the next level up, right? As well as any skills from the base class?

So, why would I ever worry about base class skills when promoted classes always learn the base class skills?

Yes, you understand correctly. You can have 5 skills deployed at most anyway so generally speaking you should have more than enough level-ups opportunities to get your desirable skill sets. Just be mindful that when leveling up, base class skills are given the priority over the promoted class skills if you don't already have them. In that case, it will take you 4 level-ups to get a new level 15 promoted class skill.

I am on Chapter 27 of Hard/Classic Conquest, so I am at the end. The last several maps (including paralogues) were very tough, and required some restarts. However, all Conquest maps will go much faster on future playthroughs now that I found strategies.

Main non-child units: Corrin, Xander, Kaze, Niles, Elise, Effie, Camilla, Leo, and Silas are all level 20. Felicia and Azura are both level 35. Charlotte made it to a level 10 Berserker, but she was dropped because her hit rates and durability are absolute trash. She is bad unit who is only good for Rally Strength and pair up, so I wasted a lot of EXP on her. Every other unit stayed on the bench due to EXP constraints. I know some of you guys used different units than I did, and I am very curious about them. I would check out the other units and children on a different playthrough for sure.

Children: My child units are all powerful and range from level 15-20. When added to my main team, I have about 13 strong combat units and 5 strong support units. I unlocked paralogues for Shigure (Azura), Midori (Azura), Sophie (Camilla), Percy (Effie), Nina (Nyx), Siegbert (Luna), Ophelia (Felicia), and Dwyer (Elise). I could not think of any suitable wives for Corrin and Leo, so they are both bachelors on this file. They can hook up with somebody on a separate post-game file. I restricted support building solely to the main chapters and paralogues (no castle grinding). The pairings were generally not planned, and some of them formed at the very last minute.

Gold: I struggled with gold for a long time, but the last two chapters gave me 30,000 gold combined. Percy and Nina's paralogues also gave me a little extra. Now I'm rich! The really good items are still expensive, but I can definitely buy what I need to complete the game.

Basically, Hard/Classic Conquest battles are challenging. If you concentrate on a core team and set of relationships, you should have enough resources to get through the campaign. The paralogues help a lot, and you can get a massive boost just by doing a few of them.

Lunatic/Classic sounds like a nightmare, though. I do want to try Birthright, but I'll be taking a small break before I do that.

Kiro

I think I burnt myself out. Halfway through my second branch (Nohr) and I just feel deflated. Going to step away from this game for at least a week or so. It is my favourite franchise though, just too much and being able to buy literally any skill on any character using WIFI makes me unmotivated to develop a badass team legitimately.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love FE4 but I still don't think a remake will do much for it aside from making it more easily accessible and getting us an official translation. Its strengths are simultaneously its weaknesses and I don't think you can smooth over them in a remake in a way that won't compromise the strength of the game. The maps are tedious but also are what make the game epic, the long sequences of AI fighting will take away from some of the in-game storytelling if you just cut it out. Character balance being terrible seems also necessary without toning down Holy Weapons but I don't want to play an FE4 where the Holy Weapons don't have 30 mt and +30 stats, they would just become generic S-Rank weapons. Personal gold is weird and obtuse but critical to the interesting item management of the game, same with no trading.

FE5 could probably survive some improvements without compromising what makes it so beautiful but I think rereleasing FE5 to the Awakening/Fates crowd is like the worst possible idea.
I feel that the maps could easily be cut into 2-4 maps each without dulling their impact, especially if they added a mode where your unit progress (damage taken, units lost, etc.) was saved throughout each cluster of maps. Call it Big Map Mode or something, lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kind of but you can't make your unit stupidly OP anymore by reclassing to a lower level then building back up. I find it's easier and less expensive if you just go to other castles and take their skills.

Some people have even setup "Skill Shop" castles for explicitly this purpose.

Balphon

Archer has slightly better stat growths but beyond that it makes no real difference when you class her over since you'll get the Archer skills anyway. You even get Underdog out of the deal by waiting to 15.

I waited until 10 thinking there was a level requirement for heart seals but I don't actually think there is.

Xenoflare

Wow Elise's HP is 25 at level 13 with mag of 22.

Um is it a bad idea to promote her right now because I usually promote everyone at level 20, but right now I think she's capable of wrecking shit with just a fire tome

Well it's just after Lv.10 she wouldn't learn any more Villager skills. You can still reclass her, and she'll get her Archer skills on her next level ups.

Does this apply to other character as well? So every character should be reclassed after they reach lv 10 or only Mozu who has no more new abilities after lv 10

Rewind

I am on Chapter 27 of Hard/Classic Conquest, so I am at the end. The last several maps (including paralogues) were very tough, and required some restarts. However, all Conquest maps will go much faster on future playthroughs now that I found strategies.

Main non-child units: Corrin, Xander, Kaze, Niles, Elise, Effie, Camilla, Leo, and Silas are all level 20. Felicia and Azura are both level 35. Charlotte made it to a level 10 Berserker, but she was dropped because her hit rates and durability are absolute trash. She is bad unit who is only good for Rally Strength and pair up, so I wasted a lot of EXP on her. Every other unit stayed on the bench due to EXP constraints. I know some of you guys used different units than I did, and I am very curious about them. I would check out the other units and children on a different playthrough for sure.

Children: My child units are all powerful and range from level 15-20. When added to my main team, I have about 13 strong combat units and 5 strong support units. I unlocked paralogues for Shigure (Azura), Midori (Azura), Sophie (Camilla), Percy (Effie), Nina (Nyx), Siegbert (Luna), Ophelia (Felicia), and Dwyer (Elise). I could not think of any suitable wives for Corrin and Leo, so they are both bachelors on this file. They can hook up with somebody on a separate post-game file. I restricted support building solely to the main chapters and paralogues (no castle grinding). The pairings were generally not planned, and some of them formed at the very last minute.

Gold: I struggled with gold for a long time, but the last two chapters gave me 30,000 gold combined. Percy and Nina's paralogues also gave me a little extra. Now I'm rich! The really good items are still expensive, but I can definitely buy what I need to complete the game.

Basically, Hard/Classic Conquest battles are challenging. If you concentrate on a core team and set of relationships, you should have enough resources to get through the campaign. The paralogues help a lot, and you can get a massive boost just by doing a few of them.

Lunatic/Classic sounds like a nightmare, though. I do want to try Birthright, but I'll be taking a small break before I do that.

Charlotte has crazy stat growths, I think she is the best spouse for most of the male characters that don't need magic.

I can't believe I am stuck at Birthright Chapter 11. This is even more difficult than Chapter 10. Those Wyvern wielding magic and bows are freaking dangerous.

Charlotte has crazy stat growths, I think she is the best spouse for most of the male characters that don't need magic.

She has some use for breeding and pairing up, but those growth rates don't actually make her viable on the field.

My level 10 Charlotte has 57! HP, 36 STR, 31 SPD, and 22 SKL. However she has 17 LCK, 10 DEF, and 3 RES.

Overall, she was never truly reliable and eventually became unusable.

EDIT: To clarify my earlier post, Azura and Kaze were paired, so they had two children. I meant to write Kaze's name in parentheses after Shigure. I also accidentally wrote Luna instead of Selena for Xander's wife.

Anteo

Wow Elise's HP is 25 at level 13 with mag of 22.

Um is it a bad idea to promote her right now because I usually promote everyone at level 20, but right now I think she's capable of wrecking shit with just a fire tome

I was thinking about it too, but consider that she can get cheap exp by spaming heals, and as soon as she promotes she will be slow to level up until you fight enemies at levels 18+.
So I held off until level 20, and just as I thought, she barely gets exp from battles or heals now, but she is a monster. Also she was the first one to promote although a bit too slow for my taste, Lissa got to lvl 20 before Chrom got to 15 in Awakening.

Edit: So chapter 14 was super easy, I also got Elisse to promote and Corrin to 18. And got to farm some kills for other people. Everyone I use is over level 15. This is the first time I felt I had some sort of control over the game since I started because all other battles I was just trying to survive by any means, even if I had to use pre-promotes too early, or give kills to units I'm not going to use.
And then Chapter 15 comes, I barely got exp out of it because of the way it was setup. Interesting stage.

HyperHip

Birthright chapter 15...

I already got an S rank with Rinkah for Kaze, does that mean I can her to marry someone else?

Birthright chapter 15...

I already got an S rank with Rinkah for Kaze, does that mean I can her to marry someone else?

If you didn't save over the game by now, try the chapter again after making sure Corrin has at least an A-rank with Kaze if you want to keep him alive.

Endgame for Birthday Hard and yeah, I've got to do some grinding.

I need to be able to clear out the nearby units so I can focus my attention on the dragon instead of having my Attackers worried about the Generals, Paladin and Maids.

vareon

Things got a tad too easy for me now (Birthright 18) so I think I'll skip the Paralogues and fight until I hit a wall.

Since I can only play fully at night, it's tempting to do the Challenges at work break---but that resulted in some of my characters getting overleveled.

twelver

I tried inheriting galeforce from shura to my shura from a castle fight and it wouldn't let me. It never showed in the list of available skills to inherit but he clearly had it. Anyone know why??

HyperHip

If you didn't save over the game by now, try the chapter again after making sure Corrin has at least an A-rank with Kaze if you want to keep him alive.

Yikes I did save! So Rinkah is stuck with A ranks for the rest of the game huh? T_T

Rutger

Banned
I feel that the maps could easily be cut into 2-4 maps each without dulling their impact, especially if they added a mode where your unit progress (damage taken, units lost, etc.) was saved throughout each cluster of maps. Call it Big Map Mode or something, lol.

It would help a lot, those maps are just way too tedious as it is. It's not like FE4 did anything interesting with those large maps, at least not from what I've played, it's just been "go seize castle 1, then castle 2 will attack" so far. Hell, I remember one time trying to send my Pegasus Knight up to a village before a castle was ready to attack me, only to be greeted with an invisible wall, what was even the point of the large maps if sections of them don't even actually exist until we've seized a certain castle, haha.

My feelings on FE4 aside, I don't want to see any remakes right now. It would be a shame to have the next game not build off of what Fates has done with the gameplay.

Luigi87

Man, without animations, I went from a 2 to 4 hour chapter, down to 30 minutes...

I've made it for Fast Movement, and animations only on my turn.
Though sometimes I still turn them off in the event I've failed a chapter a few times.

Also Happy Birthday Azura!

Just finished Conquest on normal and man the kids are way cooler on this side only because of Percy and Siegbert (not sure if it's written like this). Also Kana(boy) and Percy have the cuttest support convo ever.

Kana has a swordmaster is so good.

Just finished Conquest on normal and man the kids are way cooler on this side only because of Percy and Siegbert (not sure if it's written like this). Also Kana(boy) and Percy have the cuttest support convo ever.

Last thing, Kana has a swordmaster is so good.
I dont really like the kids on the conquest side, but maybe thats just because I'm having to pick one to marry since I couldnt pick from the Gen1 cast due to missing out on a child.

Anteo

Fuck Conquest 12. I think I should drop it down to normal.

Dont, after that stage you get 2 super easy stages and 1 kind of hard but not as much as 10 or 12

What I did was
divide my force in 3, the cavaliers, Kaze, a mage and a good suport for the mage go to the left side, Effie and Beruka through the right side, everyone else on the midle.

Get into the rooms (Effie should get "traped" along with ther pair up) and clear them, middle should defend from the archers coming from the right side and the mage and cavaliers should defend the archers from the left side

After that, get Corrin and support should traped into the room too (better if the support has locktouch) and use Azura to break every pot, then push for the win.

The cleric that teleports your units has pretty good accuracy, but if it gets hard to get into the top right room you can use locktouch to open the door and azura to prevent the archer guarding the door from swaping you.

I barely got alive and was forced to use some characters I didnt want to level up

I dont really like the kids on the conquest side, but maybe thats just because I'm having to pick one to marry since I couldnt pick from the Gen1 cast due to missing out on a child.
I don't understand the missing out on a child part? I mean with the free dlc mission to increase the support level and the offspring seal to put the kid on par with the rest of the cast you can probably never miss on a child.

Sorry if its not what you meant but that's what I understood.

I'm stuck on Asugi's paralogue right now on Birthright Hard. I just finished Chapter 18 so I'm trying to collect all the kids now that they come with Child Seals. I keep getting to the point where I would only need one more turn to capture the boss and then a single unit (usually Orochi) dies on the enemy phase so I'm sure I'll beat this map soon but ugh. Orochi keeps dying to these stupid promoted ninjas but I need to bring her for the capture. I know the capture is pointless but I can't help it. If I get to the point where I can beat the map without capturing I'll probably do it though.

tmdorsey

I can't believe I am stuck at Birthright Chapter 11. This is even more difficult than Chapter 10. Those Wyvern wielding magic and bows are freaking dangerous.

I'm freaking stuck at Chapter 9. Granted I'm playing on Hard but still damn. It's like the majority of my units are just too damn weak to survive the onslaught and it doesn't help that I usually make one mistake that screws me up.

That said, I'm liking the challenge and game.

Anteo

I don't understand the missing out on a child part? I mean with the free dlc mission to increase the support level and the offspring seal to put the kid on par with the rest of the cast you can probably never miss on a child.

I dont remember which game was, but one of the games has the problem that as a guy if you marry one of the first gen girls, another first gen guy will have no one to marry and you will miss a kid as a result.

kewlmyc

There's not enough women in the game. If you marry one of the first gen girls who aren't Reina, Flora, Scarlet, or Anna (since they can only S rank the MC), then one of the father units will be left without a romancable female. So if you're a Male MC and want all of the children, only romance the 4 I mentioned or any of the kid units. This applies to all 3 routes.

Top Bottom