• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Busaiku

Yeah, at this point I'm just gonna restart on Normal and set animations off.
Screw this.

They were at B, they had multiple A's with others.
It's not freaking fair.

Moonlight

Banned
Took me longer than I ever expected, but I'm finally done with Chapter 17, everything completed, no one dead. Realized that I was playing a little too passive and finally realized how best to use the Dragon Veins to redirect the flow of reinforcements and control mobs. Almost everyone at their level 20 caps, so I'm finally comfortable about going on a promotion spree. Hopefully I can finally get back into my groove in terms of progress with that.

BTW, best class to move Peri into? I kinda like Paladin, but Great Knight obviously has cool stuff like Luna to look forward to.

Astral Dog

CYRnIB_U0AAQVS-.jpg

That's what you get for being a terrible friend to a loyal companion. Always worth experience the bad end at least once.

WHAT the hell, no, i liked him :(

Busaiku

Ugh, so does that character have major story points later on?
Wondering if I should restart or just rush to Revelation.
Already put in 12 hours, it'll take another several just to get caught up, and then I won't have proper supports/levels for every one else.

champloo

Took me longer than I ever expected, but I'm finally done with Chapter 17, everything completed, no one dead. Realized that I was playing a little too passive and finally realized how best to use the Dragon Veins to redirect the flow of reinforcements and control mobs. Almost everyone at their level 20 caps, so I'm finally comfortable about going on a promotion spree. Hopefully I can finally get back into my groove in terms of progress with that.

BTW, best class to move Peri into? I kinda like Paladin, but Great Knight obviously has cool stuff like Luna to look forward to.

You should be fine with either. Mine is a Great Knight and she becomes my second most reliable tank after Effie. She has insanely high strength as well. It's just a little bit annoying that Great Knight suffers additional damage from both Armorslayer and Beastslayer.
I guess Paladin can utilize her Bloodthirst skill better because higher mobility.

Shun

Ugh, so does that character have major story points later on?
Wondering if I should restart or just rush to Revelation.
Already put in 12 hours, it'll take another several just to get caught up, and then I won't have proper supports for every one else.

You just miss his kid and epilogue. That was the major plot point.

You widowed his wife and his best friend you monster.

Just keep playing.

Busaiku

You just miss his kid and epilogue. That was the major plot point.

You widowed his wife and his best friend you monster.

Just keep playing.
Bleh, even though I wasn't really gonna mess with that stuff until Revelation, it just still feels so wrong.
But yeah, probably gonna drop the difficulty and just rush through the rest.

If you skip turns, does that also skip story dialogues?

Shun

Bleh, even though I wasn't really gonna mess with that stuff until Revelation, it just still feels so wrong.
But yeah, probably gonna drop the difficulty and just rush through the rest.

If you skip turns, does that also skip story dialogues?

Mind as well enjoy the rest of the game difficulty since you have other units to use who are just as strong if not stronger.

No those have their own skip prompt.

Shun

So is there anymore DLC planned for Japan or are they already finished?

The game's been out for 8 months, DLC out for 6-7 months.

If they were going to, they would have done so by now. They can retroactively add some stuff in unused but at this point just assume they moved on to their next project.

The game's been out for 8 months, DLC out for 6-7 months.

If they were going to, they would have done so by now. They can retroactively add some stuff in unused but at this point just assume they moved on to their next project.

That's what I figured, but I found it odd considering how long Awakening kept coming out with DLC.

Ponn

Banned
i'm nearing endgame with Conquest. What are the best class changes for the avatar and Leo? The avatar already master sealed to, I think it was noble, but has hit level 20 along with Leo.

Going through this slowly because still finishing up Cyber Sleuth. Only just did the first paralogue.

I'm guessing Mozu is the Donnel of this game and should change classes ASAP?

Shun

That's what I figured, but I found it odd considering how long Awakening kept coming out with DLC.

Not really since Awakening DLC was through a span of 4 months with packs every week or 2.

Fates is the same deal with the Revelations being offered and the other DLC as well as the current JP exclusive cipher DLC. There is arguably more content and DLC in this game than in Awakening and they released it faster.

Unless they plan to add more scenario to the already so bad it is good story, they have no incentive to make more DLC scenarios and classes.

There is more than enough DLC and content in this game and I would rather wait for the next title to be honest.

Xenoflare

i'm nearing endgame with Conquest. What are the best class changes for the avatar and Leo? The avatar already master sealed to, I think it was noble, but has hit level 20 along with Leo.

I'd rather keeping Leo as a dark knight and avatar as a dark blood since I'm a canon f** but strategist Leo would be a good idea since he'll be a bit faster in expense of some speed.

Their levels won't reset so if you want to get skills of the other classes you either need to buy them from my castle battles or use expensive eternal seals (12000G each) to raise their max level

Ponn

Banned
I'd rather keeping Leo as a dark knight and avatar as a dark blood since I'm a canon f** but strategist Leo would be a good idea since he'll be a bit faster in expense of some speed.

Their levels won't reset so if you want to get skills of the other classes you either need to buy them from my castle battles or use expensive eternal seals (12000G each) to raise their max level

Oh ok. I tried switching classes already and reset when I realized they stayed the same level. I mean I like them in their current classes but I feel like if they aren't gaining XP they are wasting battles. I'm near endgame though and with no grinding in Conquest I guess it doesn't really matter.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
I just picked up conquest whats the recommended difficulty level? I was able to manage awakening on hard but I hear this one is a bit tougher.

Not really since Awakening DLC was through a span of 4 months with packs every week or 2.

Fates is the same deal with the Revelations being offered and the other DLC as well as the current JP exclusive cipher DLC. There is arguably more content and DLC in this game than in Awakening and they released it faster.

Unless they plan to add more scenario to the already so bad it is good story, they have no incentive to make more DLC scenarios and classes.

There is more than enough DLC and content in this game and I would rather wait for the next title to be honest.

Yeah I'm content with the content was just wondering if there was any indication of more.

NeonZ

So is there anymore DLC planned for Japan or are they already finished?

The release schedule in Japan would indicate that nothing else is coming. However, the official localized name of the package with all standalone DLC maps, which was only revealed recently, is "Pack 01" which suggests that they still have plans for further DLC.

It was longer than 4 months. Awakening's DLC, in Japan, started in April and seemingly ended in July with Light vs Dark 3. That's already 4 months there.

However, they soon announced a second season of DLC that ran from August to November. So, it lasted almost 8 months.

As for what they could add - I think people would welcome new characters (full characters with supports and My Castle functions) and actual story scenarios using their actual party. There isn't even any kind of "final DLC battle" right now and most non-grinding DLC maps where you use your own party are just random Anna challenges.

L95

I wonder if Fates/if's DLC isn't doing so hot? It felt like they really pumped out the Awakening DLC by comparison

Oh ok. I tried switching classes already and reset when I realized they stayed the same level. I mean I like them in their current classes but I feel like if they aren't gaining XP they are wasting battles. I'm near endgame though and with no grinding in Conquest I guess it doesn't really matter.

if you have a level 3 staff shop or go to a castle with one, you can buy (expensive) eternal seals to raise an unit's level cap by 5

Shun

I mean as much as I would like more content, a lot of Awakening's were just DLC classes with rushed maps which we already have in this game.

They cashed in and all the DLC was ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥. I already bought the JP DLC and I will keep buying Fire Emblem, but I would rather them make some substantial stuff or move onto a new project like Fire Emblem 4 and 5 remake that will never happen (꒦ິ⌑꒦ີ)

I mean there is only so much they can add to the story and scenario and I could discuss spoilers if anyone wants. I mean what else can you do with Lilith and Hydra and Touma/Invisible Kingdom that they already didn't do. You can try to polish nonsense but it is still nonsense.

Do I want DLC with Seisen and Thracia chara? Maybe, but that doesn't really add much other than fan service.

I liked Awakenings hot springs DLC. Does Fates have any hot springs DLC?

They went the distance and included it into the base game.

NeonZ

I liked Awakenings hot springs DLC. Does Fates have any hot springs DLC?

The Fates beach DLC has one picture for each royal (so 8 pictures in the Fates DLC chapter vs 4 pictures in the Beach and Hotspring DLCs from Awakening), but none of the support-like conversations for other characters.

Draxal

I mean as much as I would like more content, a lot of Awakening's were just DLC classes with rushed maps which we already have in this game.

They cashed in and all the DLC was ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥. I already bought the JP DLC and I will keep buying Fire Emblem, but I would rather them make some substantial stuff or move onto a new project like Fire Emblem 4 and 5 remake that will never happen (꒦ິ⌑꒦ີ)

I said it before and I'll say it again I'm terrified of a 4/5 remake.

Vamphuntr

Do you get something from your save after beating a version and starting a new one outside of path bonuses? I'm going to grind those supports again right :(

A bit late to the party on this but I'm confused over all the new seals in relation to how it worked in Awakening. I get Master Seals but the tutorial messages on the other kinds (friendship, etc) seemed to indicate that you would keep your level and gain the lower level class skills as you continued leveling towards 20. The picture showed something like "-->17 (Icon of new skill) ---> 18 (Icon of new skill)". In Awakening the respec seal would put you back at lvl 1 of the class you pick.

Is there a more detailed resource I can look at about this because I honestly don't get it.

Luigi87

A bit late to the party on this but I'm confused over all the new seals in relation to Awakening. I get Master Seals but the tutorial messages on the other kinds seemed to indicate that you would keep your level and gain the lower level class skills as you continued leveling towards 20. The picture showed something like "-->17 (Icon of new skill) ---> 18 (Icon of new skill)".

Is there a more detailed resource I can look at about this because it seems quite different from Awakening where it was basically respec seal vs. upgrade seal.

Yeah, unlike Awakening, any reclass seal (Heart, Friendship, Partner) so not a promotion, which is Master Seal) will keep you at your current level.

Simplest explanation: Basically if you reclass at a promoted class' Level 20, you can't gain previously missed skills unless you use an Eternal Seal to raise the level cap.

Shun

I said it before and I'll say it again I'm terrified of a 4/5 remake.

I am too, but I still want the treatment like with FE1 and 3.

So long as they keep Fog of War and Fatigue and Capturing and just refine the already good mechanics they did in 1996, they are golden.

There's a reason those games are the best in the franchise, everything is like laid out there already for them. Just make the art modern, make some features modern, appeal and cater to the original release without dumbing the entire product and you are golden.

I don't even care if they add a Chris type character so long as Leaf, Celice, Siglud are always the complete focus and they don't break what made those 2 games masterpieces in the first place.

Make Eltshan recruitable and I will be happy there.

Really how can you fuck up the two best games in the franchise? Map design everything is there, just make it pretty and people will eat it up.

Yeah, unlike Awakening, any reclass seal (Heart, Friendship, Partner) so not a promotion, which is Master Seal) will keep you at your current level.

Simplest explanation: Basically if you reclass at a promoted class' Level 20, you can't gain previously missed skills unless you use an Eternal Seal to raise the level cap.

Hmm, so it seems like you have much more freedom to grab a lot of skills then. In Awakening you were more limited in trying to grab extra skills from other classes because you'd have to go to 5/10 which was a significant investment. But if you can get the 5/10 skills of another class with only 2 levels, that seems crazy good. You could reclass for two levels, reclass for another two, then reclass back and have four extra skills in as many levels.

Luigi87

Hmm, so it seems like you have much more freedom to grab a lot of skills then. In Awakening you were more limited in trying to grab extra skills from other classes because you'd have to go to 5/10 which was a significant investment. But if you can get the 5/10 skills of another class with only 2 levels, that seems crazy good. You could reclass for two levels, reclass for another two, then reclass back and have four extra skills in as many levels.

Indeed you can.
It's mainly just the gold investment you would be spending to get the various seals (Easier in Birthright, not so much in Conquest where there is no grinding).

I love FE4 but I still don't think a remake will do much for it aside from making it more easily accessible and getting us an official translation. Its strengths are simultaneously its weaknesses and I don't think you can smooth over them in a remake in a way that won't compromise the strength of the game. The maps are tedious but also are what make the game epic, the long sequences of AI fighting will take away from some of the in-game storytelling if you just cut it out. Character balance being terrible seems also necessary without toning down Holy Weapons but I don't want to play an FE4 where the Holy Weapons don't have 30 mt and +30 stats, they would just become generic S-Rank weapons. Personal gold is weird and obtuse but critical to the interesting item management of the game, same with no trading.

FE5 could probably survive some improvements without compromising what makes it so beautiful but I think rereleasing FE5 to the Awakening/Fates crowd is like the worst possible idea.

Draxal

I am too, but I still want the treatment like with FE1 and 3.

So long as they keep Fog of War and Fatigue and Capturing and just refine the already good mechanics they did in 1996, they are golden.

There's a reason those games are the best in the franchise, everything is like laid out there already for them. Just make the art modern, make some features modern, appeal and cater to the original release without dumbing the entire product and you are golden.

I don't even care if they add a Chris type character so long as Leaf, Celice, Siglud are always the complete focus and they don't break what made those 2 games masterpieces in the first place.

Make Eltshan recruitable and I will be happy there.

Really how can you fuck up the two best games in the franchise? Map design everything is there, just make it pretty and people will eat it up.

Honestly, it was Kris that I was really worried about. And I'm not sure, how Nintendo of America would handle that one thing.

Big Spoilers for FE4.

Alvis/Deidre, it's not even the incest part that's the really bad part of them, it's the brainwashing of Deidre

Indeed you can.
It's mainly just the gold investment you would be spending to get the various seals (Easier in Birthright, not so much in Conquest where there is no grinding).

Yeah I'm on Conquest so I wanted to make sure I understood exactly how the reclassing worked since they're such a limited supply. Have to really think about how to use them.

Top Bottom