• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Alright, picked up Conquest and it's time to start playing.

By which I mean time to start playing this the same way I always do, on Normal with no Permadeath, using only the characters I like regardless of their stats or abilities, raising supports based on who I think should fuck and not produce the best children and regretting every class-change decision I make until I fuck up my leveling to such an extent that I can't beat the game and reset and repeat the same mistakes having learned nothing.

Let's do this!

I dont remember which game was, but one of the games has the problem that as a guy if you marry one of the first gen girls, another first gen guy will have no couple and you will miss a kid as a result.
Oh reaĺly? Never knew that. Thank you for the info.

Lunar15

I fear I'm using Effie too much. With the Arthur Expansion Pak™ and a javelin she's just the only unit I never, ever have to worry about on Conquest Hard. She just had amazing stat growths and almost every level saw 5 stats pop. I walked her through the left side of chapter 11 alone and she killed everything without even trying.

Niles on the other hand, I want to use... but I just don't feel like he does enough damage? Sometimes he's helpful, but often not worth the babysitting. I've sat both mages for this same reason.

Boney

Banned
I fear I'm using Effie too much. With the Arthur Expansion Pak™ and a javelin she's just the only unit I never, ever have to worry about on Conquest Hard. She just had amazing stat growths and almost every level saw 5 stats pop. I walked her through the left side of chapter 11 alone and she killed everything without even trying.
Either magic or knightslayers are crazy dangerous to my Effie but as long as you gave basic awareness she can Tank insanely well and hits like a truck. Her skill is decent enough to no be a liability and who cares about speed when you're hitting with 27 or so damage.
With Niles I'm just using him to get the support with Beruka but his class kinda puzzles me as he's supposed to be a good magic killer with his resistance but bows lose to tomes so it's weird. He's decent enough but is clearly lagging behind. I guess it's better than the classic thief with swords though.

Lunar15

Either magic or knightslayers are crazy dangerous to my Effie but as long as you gave basic awareness she can Tank insanely well and hits like a truck. Her skill is decent enough to no be a liability and who cares about speed when you're hitting with 27 or so damage.
With Niles I'm just using him to get the support with Beruka but his class kinda puzzles me as he's supposed to be a good magic killer with his resistance but bows lose to tomes so it's weird. He's decent enough but is clearly lagging behind. I guess it's better than the classic thief with swords though.

I figure that I'm not far enough along to get to Effie's natural predators.

spiritfox

Dont, after that stage you get 2 super easy stages and 1 kind of hard but not as much as 10 or 12

What I did was
divide my force in 3, the cavaliers, Kaze, a mage and a good suport for the mage go to the left side, Effie and Beruka through the right side, everyone else on the midle.

Get into the rooms (Effie should get "traped" along with ther pair up) and clear them, middle should defend from the archers coming from the right side and the mage and cavaliers should defend the archers from the left side

After that, get Corrin and support should traped into the room too (better if the support has locktouch) and use Azura to break every pot, then push for the win.

The cleric that teleports your units has pretty good accuracy, but if it gets hard to get into the top right room you can use locktouch to open the door and azura to prevent the archer guarding the door from swaping you.

I barely got alive and was forced to use some characters I didnt want to level up

I was thinking that last night, but then I changed my strategy and cruised through it. I was like... "oooohhhhhh!."

Nvm, I just rushed the middle and killed all the ninjas there. That gave me enough time to avoid the apothecaries coming from the bottom. It helped that Effie dodged a Sting Shuriken that would have killed her. Even managed to get both chests and kill Ryoma.

Best tactics.

Rutger

Banned
Fuck Conquest 12. I think I should drop it down to normal.

I sent everyone to the right and didn't have any trouble.
Though I had to restart because I carelessly left Corrin in the range of a poison pot that reduced her move to 0 when I went to grab the last treasure chest, haha.
Still, I didn't have much trouble by going down the right path, I was able to bait and get the Flame Shuriken and reach both treasures so it's a good way to approach the map.

Edit: oh, you made it through. Nevermind then~

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Nvm, I just rushed the middle and killed all the ninjas there. That gave me enough time to avoid the apothecaries coming from the bottom. It helped that Effie dodged a Sting Shuriken that would have killed her. Even managed to get both chests and kill Ryoma.

Best tactics.

That's what I did.
I'd been splitting up and not using the dragon vein to stall the archers that charge from the bottom. I used my Niles and Kaza to each open one of the doors to let my groups charge through. I'd end up getting lucky shotted... Plus it required poisoning somebody a few times. Buuut I said screw it, and charged down the middle after using the dragon vein and it was easy peasy. The enemies before Ryoma's room either lost a buttload of hp, or couldn't move. Lucky!

Anteo

Best tactics.

How did you kill Ryoma? I didnt really have anyone that could survive, and I valued more the extra exp for all my chars than just rushing mid. I supose by the end you can cover the whole area but my units got killed pretty fast whenever I tried to riush the middle.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
How did you kill Ryoma? I didnt really have anyone that could survive, and I valued more the extra exp for all my chars than just rushing mid. I supose by the end you can cover the whole area but my units got killed pretty fast whenever I tried to riush the middle.
It took my MC (I named her Hannah), Effie and Camilla (with a Dual club). each with backup.

AEREC

How did you kill I didnt really have anyone that could survive, and I valued more the extra exp for all my chars than just rushing mid. I supose by the end you can cover the whole area but my units got killed pretty fast whenever I tried to riush the middle.

Spoiler your shit man.

spiritfox

Both Effie and Dragonstone Corrin can survive a round with him. Plus guard stance to block one of his hits. Luckily he didn't crit at all.

I can get Percy now, but should I wait for better skills on the parents?

Finished Birthright. Some thoughts about the it and Conquest:
Overall the story for Birthright was really boring. Nothing offensively idiotic happens like in Conquest but at the same time I felt that Conquest was more interesting. It helps that the Nohr siblings were better developed and more compelling than the Hoshido siblings. The stuff that happens to the Nohr Siblings in Birthright hit a lot harder than their counterparts in Conquest.
Onto Revelations!

Luigi87

In birthright chapter 12, is there any reason to not just have Corrin jump on a sky knight and immediately peace out?

As mentioned the chest and the enemy drops.
... Seriously, at the very least you want the chest, and the Hammer drop from the nearby enemy (I forget what it is, it's a promoted unit). The Hammer is very useful in a coming chapter.

Aside from that, I got the chest, the Hammer, and had Corrin escape all around Turn 4, lol
I first made sure I got the Hammer, then I had Subaki ferry Corrin over to the exit avoiding danger zones. While doing that I had Hinoka bring Kaze to the chest, so he could open the chest and then have Corrin escape on the same turn.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot

Effie (didn't even get doubled)+Corrin (actually doubled)

tl;dr link bonus classes are broken

without them though I think Effie can still survive a round assuming she doesn't get crit

Hazmat

As mentioned the chest and the enemy drops.
... Seriously, at the very least you want the chest, and the Hammer drop from the nearby enemy (I forget what it is, it's a promoted unit). The Hammer is very useful in a coming chapter.

Aside from that, I got the chest, the Hammer, and had Corrin escape all around Turn 4, lol
I first made sure I got the Hammer, then I had Subaki ferry Corrin over to the exit avoiding danger zones. While doing that I had Hinoka bring Kaze to the chest, so he could open the chest and then have Corrin escape on the same turn.

Also, when an enemy loots the chest he'll run towards you (at least he did for me) so it's pretty easy to get.

You can pick up some decent experience too, but you probably don't want to fight everyone.

silva1991

I haven't played Conquest since yesterday

Chapter 12(or 13 I'm not so sure) was so frustrating I'm just scared of next challenges.

demidar

Finally beat Conquest 12 on hard. Jesus Christ, the game should at least tell you
you can only escape with Corrin.

Had to chicken out unfortunately, but I got an armourslayer so I'm counting that as a win.

silva1991

Maybe I'm imagining things, but Camilla sound different in Conquest it's like they used a different voice actress.

the next 3 chapters are easier, 14 and 15 in particular are a breeze compared to 12 and 10

Good to know!

the current chapter with Reina does feel easier, I just hope she doesn't go for Camilla :O

Conquest 21 is straight bullshit

As a filthy Casual hard player I just put xander on a pegasus, dashed to the end and had everyone else die to win.

I'm fairly early on, Chapter 9 in Birthright, Chapter 7 for Conquest. Not going to play both simultaneously but I wanted to be set up for the inevitable carryover.
I'm enjoying Fates far more than Awakening at this point, I'm not sure what it is but I can't stop thinking about the game when I'm not playing it.

Neol

Conquest 19
God these kitsune are fast motherfuckers. Had to restart 2 times just cause I had instances where I missed 4 times on different units.

There are 25 chapters in Birthright, correct?

27 if my memory serves me right

Also is it me or is Jakob really weak....

Yup 27.

Jakob is alright if you go Female Corrin in the beginning since he's more strength oriented. But yea he start to lose out hard around the middle of the game.

Apparently, Fates: Birthright probably changed the hit rate calculations after over a decade. The end result is a formula that's in between honest 1RN and averaged 2RN systems - a much slighter skew than the 2RN system.

1RN system: 75% means 75%
2RN system: 75% actually means 87.5%
The new (3A+B)/4 2RN system: 75% actually means about 82.5%

Dunno about Conquest or Revelation, though.

After arriving at Birthright's endgame I've got to say: Hana has become one of my favorite units, both in early and late game. She really helped me clearing many maps with ease, and after I paired her with Ryoma, they became a steamroller.

Insolitus

Banned
Beat Birthright Hard/Classic last night only losing one character, sucks they don't let save after the endgame chapter. Story was meh but the gameplay changes make up for it. I'm kind of burnt out so I think I'm just gonna wait till I can download Revelation and get back to focusing on my project.

Is permadeath so intrinsic to the experience that I should only play with it on? It seems like I'd have to agonize over every map to make sure know one dies. Moving on after a character dies and losing any story seems like a disservice to the game.

Is permadeath so intrinsic to the experience that I should only play with it on? It seems like I'd have to agonize over every map to make sure know one dies. Moving on after a character dies and losing any story seems like a disservice to the game.
if you are new to the series, just turn it off. Ive been playing this series for so long that its just ingrained for it to be there

Balphon

I'm really glad I stuck with Odin long enough to build his support with Elise. Ophelia is turning out to be ridiculously good.

Just did Soleil's paralogue and reclassed her to Ninja so I could drop Kaze. Hope it works out as well.

Neoweee

Apparently, Fates: Birthright probably changed the hit rate calculations after over a decade. The end result is a formula that's in between honest 1RN and averaged 2RN systems - a much slighter skew than the 2RN system.

1RN system: 75% means 75%
2RN system: 75% actually means 87.5%
The new (3A+B)/4 2RN system: 75% actually means about 82.5%

Dunno about Conquest or Revelation, though.

Man, fuck this, and fuck 2RN, and fuck all lying about probabilities in games. This just makes systems more opaque and harder to judge as some meager appeasement to people that don't accept probabilities.

There should be a "Interface Lies About Probabilities" {On/Off}

Most players who do permadeath reset on character deaths, which is how the game is planned and balanced. I highly suggest it because I think it's much more rewarding and fun and without permadeath the mechanics of the series are pretty bad, but if you don't have fun there's no shame in taking it off.

Moonlight

Banned
I'd say play with it on and if you're not having fun constantly resetting, turn it off. Permadeath is definitely how I prefer to play the game, since it demands such a fundamentally different way to approach mission objectives, but again, it's probably not going to be essential to the experience enough that there's no point otherwise. At the very least, give it a shot?

Neol

Yea planning out each turn to make sure no one dies is what many people say is part of the Fire Emblem experience.

That being said the game has lots of different options so don't feel trapped into doing what everyone else says to do. In the end its suppose to be fun so cater it to your own preference.

Anteo

The fun from permadead comes from getting through a stage without sacrificing anyone, if you play on casual you can just throw some units to the enemy to weaken them and not worry if they die because they will come back anyways, this is not possible on classic and your plays have to think ways to lure the enemy or engage much more powerfull enemies and making sure the attacker survives.

You can play on casual with this mindset of not just throwing your units to a certain dead and get mostly the same experience, and without the drawback of worryng about 1% criticals or 90% misses that screw you over, casual would give you the possibility of just finishing a stage after a unit got killed by a bulshit % on the last turn.

If casual had a penalty for getting your units killed (other than removing them from the game), it would be much closer to the classic experience.

For the record, I am playing hard classic conquest

Lunar15

Personally, I reset whenever anyone dies.

You can do whatever you feel is the most fun, though.

Zaventem

100 hours so far, well worth the cash, 10+ more chapters for Nohr. The DLC has been pretty bad from the two maps released thus far though.

Hugstable

Banned
Need a bit of help with Chapter 9 Conquest Hard

What am I supposed to do to keep Azura alive here? Even if I do make it to the chest, the Samuari comes back for me and not strong enough to fight him with just Brass Naginata. My party has no way of reaching her in time or safely, especially since I have been trying to funnel my party through that lower section where Nyx is.

What am I supposed to do to keep Azura alive here? Even if I do make it to the chest, the Samuari comes back for me and not strong enough to fight him with just Brass Naginata. My party has no way of reaching her in time or safely, especially since I have been trying to funnel my party through that lower section where Nyx is.
I was able to just dance her around in the safe spots until the party (of 2) got there

Balphon

When I did it he just patrolled in a circle and didn't go after her. Just stay out of his attack range.

Neol

The Samurai doesn't attack Azura unless your clearly in range of his attack. Basically when he going around move into spaces where they can't attack you. Then open the chest and headway into the top area where the dragon vein is and use it to help out your party in the mid area.

Top Bottom