• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Anteo

Need a bit of help with Chapter 9 Conquest Hard

What am I supposed to do to keep Azura alive here? Even if I do make it to the chest, the Samuari comes back for me and not strong enough to fight him with just Brass Naginata. My party has no way of reaching her in time or safely, especially since I have been trying to funnel my party through that lower section where Nyx is.

The samurai will only chase Azura if she ends a turn in range, you are free to walk everywhere and anywere and not auto agro anyone, so just wait around the edges of his attack range and try to get to the chest first, and then to the dragon vein on the north

When you get to the dragon vein, wait a turn or two so the samurai gets in range of the dragon vein's AoE attack for an easy kill.

Man, fuck this, and fuck 2RN, and fuck all lying about probabilities in games. This just makes systems more opaque and harder to judge as some meager appeasement to people that don't accept probabilities.

There should be a "Interface Lies About Probabilities" {On/Off}

One suspect human perception is a major factor.

Is permadeath so intrinsic to the experience that I should only play with it on? It seems like I'd have to agonize over every map to make sure know one dies. Moving on after a character dies and losing any story seems like a disservice to the game.

The AI is designed around making you reset by killing anyone they can at any cost. Like one time the AI sent 6 units to kill effie knowing full well doing so would result in the deaths of all of them but #worth

Doing it on casual or phoenix mode is just you pulling the rug out from under their programming. Kill them, see if I care they're coming back next map (turn) anyways.

Boney

Banned
Need a bit of help with Chapter 9 Conquest Hard

What am I supposed to do to keep Azura alive here? Even if I do make it to the chest, the Samuari comes back for me and not strong enough to fight him with just Brass Naginata. My party has no way of reaching her in time or safely, especially since I have been trying to funnel my party through that lower section where Nyx is.
Press the X button to check out all of the area of attack of enemies. There's gonna be a few spaces that Azura can sneak away. The samurai is gonna be patrolling and give you a chance to activate the dragon thing.

Also, I'd be careful with funneling your whole party through the side as you can get yourself trapped between enemies.

Lynx_7

The last few chapters of Conquest have been a breeze compared to what was going on before, but I fully expect the difficulty to pick back up sometime soon. Chapter 15 storywise wasn't nearly as bad as some people in this thread made me believe it would be.
It's a silly and needlessly convoluted plan, and King Garron being consumed by the evuls is equally silly, but honestly very in-line with how the story has been presented thus far, which is "just don't think too hard about it". I was expecting some bullshit twist like "Garron is actually Corrin's twin brother who grew up in the Deeprealms!" or some such asspull.

Fates inspired me to go back to Awakening and finish the Paralogues I hadn't done and the Future Past DLCs. When I got to
Wallhart's
paralogue and just saw a big ass open map with a shitload of units and same-turn-attacking reinforcements I just went "yup, that's Awakening". Compared to what I went through with Conquest it also felt pretty easy. And then when I got to the Radiant Hero paralogue and saw 50 overpowered units in another huge open map, every single turn taking up forever and no possible way to beat it besides grinding my characters and coming back later I was like "yeah, that is definetely Awakening". I still love the game but jeez the leap in gameplay quality from it to Fates was much bigger than I initially gave it credit for. Still plan on doing Future Past but I hope it's at least a bit better than that.

Playing Conquest Hard/Classic. I've only tried it once so far but the final chapter seems absolutely vile.

Does the fight end when I kill Takumi? Do I have to kill the replica? Also are the reinforcements endless?

I can't tell if I need to muscle through it (which seems impossible) or take it as slowly as I can. I might be on this for a while.

Moonlight

Banned
So what do you think about Keaton, not sure if I should train him.
Really reliable unit. The two beast-stones give him some versatility between hefty assassin or heftier tank. Top shelf strength and HP growths, above average defenses and decent speed. On top of the very solid bases he starts on. Resistance is a bit of a problem for him, but that goes the same for pretty much every tank. Helps that he's easily one of the most entertaining units in the game.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You can adjust the underlying mechanics on how percents are calculated to have the same effect without blatantly lying to the player.
(Not that I agree) but the whole point of 2RN is to lie to the player. Look at all the people complaining, throwing ds's, etc. because they got crit at 2% or missed a 90% shot. To them, 2% == 0% and 90% == 99.99%.

2RN or whatever other system is to skew the numbers to be closer to what humans expect (and humans are notoriously bad at probability). 40% means you will get hit roughly half the time, but it's frustrating every time it happens, regardless. If 40% becomes closer to 25%, it's closer to what you "expect" and you're a happier player as a result.

Neol

Apparently its Azura's birthday today.

Here's some cute fan art I guess.
SDfZ0sd.jpg

(Not that I agree) but the whole point of 2RN is to lie to the player. Look at all the people complaining, throwing ds's, etc. because they got crit at 2% or missed a 90% shot. To them, 2% == 0% and 90% == 99.99%.

2RN or whatever other system is to skew the numbers to be closer to what humans expect (and humans are notoriously bad at probability). 40% means you will get hit roughly half the time, but it's frustrating every time it happens, regardless. If 40% becomes closer to 25%, it's closer to what you "expect" and you're a happier player as a result.
I think you've got a point here when things such as critical hits come to mind.

If you're using a character who has a high critical percentage 40% critical is something closer to 100% in our minds, the inverse of this is the enemy with a 40% hit chance who still hits you and you got mad that you were hit.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I think you've got a point here when things such as critical hits come to mind.

If you're using a character who has a high critical percentage 40% critical is something closer to 100% in our minds, the inverse of this is the enemy with a 40% hit chance who still hits you and you got mad that you were hit.
Yup! People always overweight the outcome THEY desire. See: the lottery.

massoluk

Banned
Wow, Chapter 12 Conquest. Beaten. After spending 2 frustrating days on it meticulously navigating the maze
, I just said, fuck it. I used the dragonvein and just bruteforced the stage with full frontal assault and rush for the exit.... and done.

Talk about anticlimactic, Ryuma and his 2 bodyguards were not really threats at all..

Anteo

I finished Chapter 16 conquest but
It took me too long to setup kills for everyone I wanted to level up, and I ended up losing most of the gold. I got screwed with 2 critial hits that killed a unit way too early, so I could not feed them to other characters

Not sure if I should reset..

Edit: whatever .. I got all the money in the previous stages.

Edit2: So.. Niles, Adventurer vs Bow Knight? I got enough mounted/beast already so I'm not sure..

rhandino

Banned
Birthright: Chapters 17 and 18

1tcTm2l.gif

And promoting Sakura from a Shrine Maiden to a Priestess was one of the best decisions EVER because she + almost any bow = RAIN OF DEAD!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

too bad Hana looks really silly as a Swordmaster, at least she is incredible good rn and most likely end up marrying Takumi since they both work incredible well.

Birthright: Chapters 17 and 18

1tcTm2l.gif

And promoting Sakura from a Shrine Maiden to a Priestess was one of the best decisions EVER because she + almost any bow = RAIN OF DEAD!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

too bad Hana looks really silly as a Swordmaster, at least she is incredible good rn and most likely end up marrying Takumi since they both work incredible well.
I had questioned if making Sakura a Priestess was a wise idea until she hit a fine niche as as an excellent clean up character on my team.

Anteo

I noticed way too late (ch18) that 3/4 of my team are female so I'll only get like 3-4 kids.

i'vemadeahugemistake.jpg

Eh... unless all the guys got killed, you can grind supports on castle battles or dlc. I'm doing that here and there between chapters

Pics_nao

Finally beat Conquest yesterday and started Revelations. It's so much easier than Conquest that I don't even want to imagine what another Birthright playthrough will do to me.

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 18 was an excellent breather after the horror of 17, I've gotta say. How beautiful a chapter can be without ninjas hounding you. Wrapped it up with everything done in ten turns.

Weebos

Banned
Anybody in here played Revelation yet?

Are Azura
and Corrin still cousins? If they S support are they like Owain and Lucina?

rhandino

Banned
I had questioned if making Sakura a Priestess was a wise idea until she hit a fine niche as as an excellent clean up character on my team.
Its kind of amazing, even more considering that she is so demure and lacking of confidence in some of her supports while being an Avatar of Death in the Battlefield.

Grima would be proud
EKehZqG.gif

Draxal

Anybody in here played Revelation yet?

Are Azura
and Corrin still cousins? If they S support are they like Owain and Lucina?

well.

Kanna and Shigure still exist if they s rank, didn't beat rev yet though cuz i'm busy getting all the kids ...

Its kind of amazing, even more considering that she is so demure and lacking of confidence in some of her supports while being an Avatar of Death in the Battlefield.

Grima would be proud
EKehZqG.gif

She really needs C rank in Bows for the Shining bow.

Ala Alba

Grima would be proud
EKehZqG.gif

My Sakura has as much str and def as Takumi, and more speed. Less skill though, but with an iron yumi +4 she never misses anyway and does more damage than Takumi with his special bow.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Eh... unless all the guys got killed, you can grind supports on castle battles or dlc. I'm doing that here and there between chapters
I won't be grinding for Birthright or Conquest. Maybe Revelation. I'll just have to meet the kids there!

There's not enough women in the game. If you marry one of the first gen girls who aren't Reina, Flora, Scarlet, or Anna (since they can only S rank the MC), then one of the father units will be left without a romancable female. So if you're a Male MC and want all of the children, only romance the 4 I mentioned or any of the kid units. This applies to all 3 routes.

Uh oh—there go my chances of seeing everything in Conquest even with DLC support grinding, then. Then again, one way to cover for this (as I'm primarily interested in seeing all the maps) is to leave one of the characters that appear in multiple routes as my odd man out. I assume Silas and Jakob follow the avatar in both routes, no? And that the paralogues are the same for fathers that appear in multiple routes? I've hardly used either of them anyway, so it's no skin off my back to leave one as a bachelor.

Fates inspired me to go back to Awakening and finish the Paralogues I hadn't done and the Future Past DLCs. When I got to
Wallhart's
paralogue and just saw a big ass open map with a shitload of units and same-turn-attacking reinforcements I just went "yup, that's Awakening". Compared to what I went through with Conquest it also felt pretty easy. And then when I got to the Radiant Hero paralogue and saw 50 overpowered units in another huge open map, every single turn taking up forever and no possible way to beat it besides grinding my characters and coming back later I was like "yeah, that is definetely Awakening". I still love the game but jeez the leap in gameplay quality from it to Fates was much bigger than I initially gave it credit for. Still plan on doing Future Past but I hope it's at least a bit better than that.

I cleared Radiant Hero myself a few weeks ago as it was the last thing remaining on my original Awakening file from way back in 2013. I didn't need to grind for it, but I did need to burn through about seven Rescue staves to see my units through every turn, since you are swarmed from all sides. I had a whole back line, about a third of my party, just dedicated to picking up or positioning other units instead of fighting head-on. I haven't finished Future Past either, as I am definitely under-levelled for it, but the DLC locks down the one thing that can cheese you through just about any map in Awakening (Rescue) so it's quite methodical to play. It definitely has Awakening's problem with same-turn reinforcements, though, which is an ugly bit of trial-and-error difficulty that I'm glad is out the window in Fates.

Some of the early chapters in Conquest tested me just as much as Radiant Hero in that I was taking about half an hour per turn to make everything add up just right, although I think the difficulty settles down a bit once you get comfortable with the Fates-specific mechanics and get a chance to cultivate a core party. But it's so nice to have the challenges come from complex interactions between class skills, weapon effects, and map elements rather just being beaten over the head with raw numbers. Fates doesn't screw you with RNG or surprise reinforcements or enemies with huge raw stats; it screws you with Counter and Lunge and stat-drop weapons. And I like it that way.

Sorry if this has been asked a ton of times, but what happens if you reach S rank with one of your biological siblings? I was surprised that they didn't just make them A+. Same with the Nohr siblings, is it addressed in the dialogue? Like Camilla says something like "You're not really my brother anymore"?

Also, what's the point of all the castle stuff? I've been upgrading turrets and automatons and healing pads and a bunch of other stuff and I just barely unlocked the second castle defense mission. Am I missing something here? Seems bizarre to include all these things you can place and upgrade for the sake of a handful of fights.

Weebos

Banned
Uh oh—there go my chances of seeing everything in Conquest even with DLC support grinding, then. Then again, one way to cover for this (as I'm primarily interested in seeing all the maps) is to leave one of the characters that appear in multiple routes as my odd man out. I assume Silas and Jakob follow the avatar in both routes, no? And that the paralogues are the same for fathers that appear in multiple routes? I've hardly used either of them anyway, so it's no skin off my back to leave one as a bachelor.

Silas, Jakob, and (minor spoiler)
Kaze
are in all three routes.

Anteo

I didnt think too much about it but (Conquest ch 15 spoilers)
I just realized how much bullshit the "you cant speak of that place or you will banish" is.

Also, Peri joined a bit too late, I was using Silas and by that time his stats were much higher, I'll try her next playthrough.

Luigi87

I didnt think too much about it but (Conquest ch 15 spoilers)
I just realized how much bullshit the "you cant speak of that place or you will banish" is.

Also, Peri joined a bit too late, I was using Silas and by that time his stats were much higher, I'll try her next playthrough.

I was worried about Peri joining late.

... I ended up feeding her so many kills in her first two maps she went from 10 to 17, lol

Astral Dog

So...Azura, what happens if you promote her? she is one of the weaker units but i keep her for her double turn song, its just that leveling up. is a chore. she is at lv. 15

Top Bottom