• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

So, after hours got to the very end of conquest 23. COuld have won, but stupidly decided to clear out the last few enemies. Very last enemy survives and kills one of my best units. D:

My problem with Birthright's story was that not only was it bad, but it wasnt even the good kind of bad.

At least make it cheesy and let everyone live happily ever after. Nope. The character deaths seemed pretty pointless and forced. Fucking Lilith and Elise died the same exact way by appearing out of nowhere and jumping in front of a blade lol. Xander and Flora died because they are stupid characters that basically committed suicide.
Just made no sense.

I wouldnt be this disappointed if
their deaths werent so pointless and stupid. I'd tolerate the plot holes and unexplained stuff if the deaths made sense. It just felt like forced tear jerking.

On the positive, I like the characters a lot. The Nohr characters are much better but after numerous supports, the Hoshido characters seem much more fleshed out and multi dimensional than Awakenings cast (who I still love).

My problem with Birthright's story was that not only was it bad, but it wasnt even the good kind of bad.

At least make it cheesy and let everyone live happily ever after. Nope. The character deaths seemed pretty pointless and forced. Fucking Lilith and Elise died the same exact way by appearing out of nowhere and jumping in front of a blade lol. Xander and Flora died because they are stupid characters that basically committed suicide.
Just made no sense.

I wouldnt be this disappointed if
their deaths werent so pointless and stupid. I'd tolerate the plot holes and unexplained stuff if the deaths made sense. It just felt like forced tear jerking.

On the positive, I like the characters a lot. The Nohr characters are much better but after numerous supports, the Hoshido characters seem much more fleshed out and multi dimensional than Awakenings cast (who I still love).

Xander's
a very standard archetype. His loyalty/duty to his country is as binding on him as his own personal morality so he can't surrender / betray his country but he can commit the noble equivalent of death by cop. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's a Paladin.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Forrest's paralogue is literally impossible.

I might just forget about him.

Pics_nao

Forrest's paralogue is literally impossible.

I might just forget about him.

Nope.

Send someone with entrap to the right and start a fight to spawn the Berserker. Use entrap on the berserker and kill him. You now have all the time in the world to complete the map.

I think it's pretty silly too but Hoshido fam does get the advantage of having not kidnapped and brainwashed you for your entire life and then also by not committing a ton of atrocities.

NeonZ

Looks like I'm skipping the Second Gen characters DLC, there pointless to the story. In awakening I wanted to find out about their future.

Here I don't even care enough to get them, he'll I've only gotten Kana.

Isn't that the point of that DLC though, to give them a storyline? It's not a single chapter thing, but a set of six chapters focused on the 2nd gen as the main party in some storyline where their parents are apparently all dead somehow.

Draxal

I"m wondering if that's going to give out all the skill scrolls, I know the two festivals are giving out the Great Lord and Starlode class items so I don't feel bad about missing them now.

I"m wondering if that's going to give out all the skill scrolls, I know the two festivals are giving out the Great Lord and Starlode class items so I don't feel bad about missing them now.

i believe proximity shot will be one of the prizes for the kids' dlc chapters

dunno what other op skill out there they could give out too

Alrighty then time to do Conquest since I've finally beaten Birthright! Gonna stick with female and make my hair color purple like Camilla's this time.

Azuran

Banned
How in the world do I save Shiro in Paralogue 7? I waited till max level and now he's too weak so he always gets himself killed every time he attacks the first enemy he sees.

So stupid.

I just want to finish unlocking the kids before moving to Conquest but this is getting frustrating.

So how have you male corrin players handled the whole can't get all children issue if you don't marry a gen 2/corrin only girl? I've been sitting at several girls I could s rank but haven't since none of them fall into the above category and I'm not sure what desire fills me more, to marry someone I think fits for story reasons, one I want for gameplay reasons, or see all content. I'm in birthright/hard so exp isn't an issue here.

Vamphuntr

The balance in Revelations is so weird. Since you basically only have Corrin that can tank for a while he gets ridiculous amount of EXP. He's already level 15 at Chapter 9.

ChrisD

Birthright 22

Do
Izana or Shura
have children? I presume not, since they seem like the Anna of this game with how late they come in.

Xander's
a very standard archetype. His loyalty/duty to his country is as binding on him as his own personal morality so he can't surrender / betray his country but he can commit the noble equivalent of death by cop. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's a Paladin.

I get that he's Mr. Loyalty and stuff but I figured that Elise's death would be a wake up call for him. Like it would be too convenient if he just switched sides after a duel. Elise's life seemed like a high enough price and would have been a good, but corny, but still good launchpad for his reformation.

Instead he just got himself killed and made Corrin feel like shit about it. Thanks Big Bro!

I mean I'm definitely over thinking it but I just cant help but feel like it was wasted potential.

So Conquest chapter 23 was fairly simple playing it slowly and having Xander clear out the initial wave at the top.

...then my SD card failed and now I have to redo the chapter fml

So Conquest chapter 23 was fairly simple playing it slowly and having Xander clear out the initial wave at the top.

...then my SD card failed and now I have to redo the chapter fml

At least you didn't fuck it up yourself by overextending and then losing to the last goddamn enemy on the map

If you hook up with a Hoshido sib (apart from Ryoma who already knew but was sworn to secracy) Mikoto had a feeling that would happen and left a letter for them explaining the situation

Wow, so if you decide to try the incest route you basically spoil the story for yourself? Weird. Another reason it seems like they would have been better off just making all the siblings on either side A+ max.

Finally getting around to picking this up off the eshop, Snagged Birthright first, any tips before going in?

I've only played FE Sacred Stones and FE Awakening multiple times on Normal and Hard mode.

Luigi87

"Hey, you! Yeah, you with the sword and the hair and stuff!"
"WHAA! Wh-why does that man have a tail?!"
"Wow, really? That's really how you're gonna play this? I thought you looked like a nice lady, but you clearly have issues..."

Corrin, quit being so racist.

pariah164

"Hey, you! Yeah, you with the sword and the hair and stuff!"
"WHAA! Wh-why does that man have a tail?!"
"Wow, really? That's really how you're gonna play this? I thought you looked like a nice lady, but you clearly have issues..."

Corrin, quit being so racist.
Being shut in a fortress most of one's life tends to do that.

Squire

Banned
Okay, so... Birthright 21:

Can you
actually get stuck in the lava? Because I used the wrong DV and it seems like the team is stuck now, except the flyers who are good, but nowhere near good enough to carry this whole chapter.

Renewed

Can you
actually get stuck in the lava? Because I used the wrong DV and it seems like the team is stuck now, except the flyers who are good, but nowhere near good enough to carry this whole chapter.

Detailing my experience
When I realized what happened (and how stupid it is) I paired a couple of flying units with my tough units to take out the boss. I didn't stick around to see if I could undo it but it didn't seem like it at first glance.

Rinkah hit level 20, so... Blacksmith or Oni Savage? Both look great, stats-wise.

I skipped her Oni/Blacksmith line and made her a Dread Fighter for the hell of it. IIRC one of them uses magic so unless your Rinkah is somehow proficient in magic, I wouldn't bother.

So how have you male corrin players handled the whole can't get all children issue if you don't marry a gen 2/corrin only girl? I've been sitting at several girls I could s rank but haven't since none of them fall into the above category and I'm not sure what desire fills me more, to marry someone I think fits for story reasons, one I want for gameplay reasons, or see all content. I'm in birthright/hard so exp isn't an issue here.

Hayato will be forever alone since he gives us the Tharja expy.

pariah164

I skipped her Oni/Blacksmith line and made her a Dread Fighter for the hell of it. IIRC one of them uses magic so unless your Rinkah is somehow proficient in magic, I wouldn't bother.
I only have one Dread Fighter scroll ATM, and I'm trying not to use it.

Blacksmith is katana and clubs, Oni Savage is scrolls and clubs, so either way, she keeps her main weapon.

Renewed

I only have one Dread Fighter scroll ATM, and I'm trying not to use it.

Blacksmith is katana and clubs, Oni Savage is scrolls and clubs, so either way, she keeps her main weapon.

Scrolls and clubs sound like a fun time and if she's grown well enough it gives her another option from what it sounds like. Although she's probably still doomed against mages/high Res units.

Huh Level 15 skill is Counter.

Luigi87

Conquest 14
So easy... Get to the boss... Forget to check the boss' skills, and have Leo cast magic against him...

vanilla.jpg

Okay, so I'm loving this game way more than I thought I would (Birthright), and it's my first Fire Emblem game. But there's something nagging me. Like, I love the game, but I'm wondering how I could possibly find the will to play Conquest and the Revelations afterward. Like, am I just supposed to forget everything that happens in Birthright and play an alt-universe version of the game? I know the games are fundamentally different, and that's great from a gameplay perspective, but I'm so invested in Birthright's story, I can't see how I could find that same investment if the other two effectively nullify everything I'm doing.

Luigi87

Essentially yes.
Events are entirely different so it's interesting to see things from an opposing perspective as the stories go on (and occasionally link up at locations but from the opposite side of things).

I say this as a person who is playing Birthright and Conquest simultaneously, chapter-by-chapter.

Ala Alba

Hayato will be forever alone since he gives us the Tharja expy.

Yeah, if I had to give up one child in Birthright, it would be Rahjet. Giving up a daughter is also a good idea because there would be one extra daughter with Kana, meaning that if you gave up a son (or didn't give up any child), you couldn't pair up all the children.

Plus, I hate Hayato. It's, like, a win-win-win situation.

pariah164

Scrolls and clubs sound like a fun time and if she's grown well enough it gives her another option from what it sounds like. Although she's probably still doomed against mages/high Res units.
Yeah, I went with Oni Savage in the end. She has a large gourd on her back, and it looks super cool.

ChrisD

Can you

I covered up all the holes on the map and then another Dragon Vein popped up. Using it put a bridge to cross. Not sure if it was just coincidence (as enemies were spawning in the holes; may have been a certain amount of enemies you have to kill first) or not, but it worked. Very confusing wording on the DV, for sure.

Squire

Banned
Detailing my experience
When I realized what happened (and how stupid it is) I paired a couple of flying units with my tough units to take out the boss. I didn't stick around to see if I could undo it but it didn't seem like it at first glance.

I covered up all the holes on the map and then another Dragon Vein popped up. Using it put a bridge to cross. Not sure if it was just coincidence (as enemies were spawning in the holes; may have been a certain amount of enemies you have to kill first) or not, but it worked. Very confusing wording on the DV, for sure.

Yeah, I figured it out. Tough chapter.

rhandino

Banned
I... I was playing half sleep last night and today I noticed that now I have
Izana
in my party, wtf!? Did he join after the chapter where you beat
Leo
? Why?

Holy shit Hinata has 35% Speed growth

What

I was thinking of using him on my next Birthright run

35% you guys, 35%

Heh. :p

Funnily enough, in my now-finished Birthright run, it was Setsuna and Hinata having the worst stats. Using the "Rating" system where it sums all stats, these two were hanging out at 120-130 at promoted level 15, when everyone else is 180-200. Seriously.

Busaiku

What chapter is level 3 shop upgrades in Birthright?
Need more Master Seals...

Wasn't as big a deal in Conquest cause there were more prepromotes.

Top Bottom