• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Vamphuntr

Growth rate seems different in Revelations. Some characters are definitely worse for me than they were in Conquest. Disappointed it reused some maps already.

omlet

My Leo has had insane growths. Several levels of all increasing except one stat.

But Nyx :(

Well I can use some stat items on her or something I guess. They are just collecting dust in my convoy right now since I wanted to save them until my team started approaching level 20 and I had a better idea of who was getting near base class stat caps. So far my Elise is the only one, both her MAG and RES capped early.

Anustart

Beat chapter 11 birthright last night. After a few tries of warding off reinforcements, I said f this, bum rushed towards the boss.

Was a winning strat as it made it through! Fun chapter!!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Ch 13 and I'm considering training up Mozu because I haven't touched her since Paralogue. How long does it take for her to start getting good? Can I use a Heart Seal to switch her out of Villager asap?

I totally used a heart seal on her at like level 4 or something and haven't looked back since. She gets Archer from the heart seal and after a few levels in there she was much more useful.

I'm playing Brithright and by the time I got Takumi, I had Mozu almost as strong as him. After a re-class (Sniper!) and a few more levels she'll end up stronger, IMO. She's one of my favorite units atm.

That could be at play, then.

Also, sad now that Leo joined my team there's no reason to use Nyx anymore... even if she gets 3 more perfect levels to hit 20 and master seals into the same class, Leo's stats are still ahead of hers, especially HP which he has 11 more of than she has now. :|

I paired them up, she can chip at times with Leo at back-up in attack stance and if I use guard stance that lets Leo become a nuke

Vamphuntr

But Nyx :(

Well I can use some stat items on her or something I guess. They are just collecting dust in my convoy right now since I wanted to save them until my team started approaching level 20 and I had a better idea of who was getting near base class stat caps. So far my Elise is the only one, both her MAG and RES capped early.

If it can ease your mind. When I beat Conquest, the very few characters that reached 20/20 rarely reached their caps. Maybe one stat but that's it.

That's one of my issue with Conquest endgame. The foes you are facing in the last few chapters appear to had perfect growth compared to your characters and you can't grind. Effie became really bad for me because she had very low speed and would get thrashed by follow ups attack because even bulky enemies had 30 speed or something.

omlet

I paired them up, she can chip at times with Leo at back-up in attack stance and if I use guard stance that lets Leo become a nuke

I immediately saw this same potential and did a few castle invasions and already unlocked their S rank but haven't pulled the trigger yet lol.

Currently torn betweening marrying Elise, Selena, or Nyx. At least this way Nyx gets a good pairing if I don't marry her.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Thanks for answering my question about Mozu, fam. Another question: I used my Master Seals early, when my characters were like 11 or 12. Didn't know you were supposed to wait until they're higher level. Am I screwed later on?

Vamphuntr

Thanks for answering my question about Mozu, fam. Another question: I used my Master Seals early, when my characters were like 11 or 12. Didn't know you were supposed to wait until they're higher level. Am I screwed later on?

You're not screwed. The total max level you can achieve is the sum of all of the level up you got. So if you promoted at 11 and reach level 20 in your promoted class you have a total level of 31 while the game allows 40. You could simply switch to another class (special sealsl) to get 9 more levels. I believe some classes allow you get up to 40 right off from the start like Dread Fighter, Dark Falcon and the classes from Awakening DLC.

omlet

Another question: I used my Master Seals early, when my characters were like 11 or 12. Didn't know you were supposed to wait until they're higher level. Am I screwed later on?

I'm not sure. Probably not, butif you are playing no-grind hard or lunatic you may be in trouble because losing out on ~5~ stats (especially speed) can be a big deal. In all the FE games I've played I have rarely ever promoted early so I can't speak from experience with your situation... If it gets too rough you can lower difficulty down to normal and now you will know for your next time you play FE.

The total max level you can achieve is the sum of all of the level up you got. So if you promoted at 11 and reach level 20 in your promoted class you have a total level of 31 while the game allows 40. You could simply switch to another class (heart seal or any other seal) to get 9 more levels.

Ah, this is good to know, thanks.

Vamphuntr

I'm not sure. Probably not, butif you are playing no-grind hard or lunatic you may be in trouble because losing out on ~5~ stats (especially speed) can be a big deal. In all the FE games I've played I have rarely ever promoted early so I can't speak from experience with your situation... If it gets too rough you can lower difficulty down to normal and now you will know for your next time you play FE.

Ah, this is good to know, thanks.

I edited it. You need a class that can reach 40.

You're not screwed. The total max level you can achieve is the sum of all of the level up you got. So if you promoted at 11 and reach level 20 in your promoted class you have a total level of 31 while the game allows 40. You could simply switch to another class (heart seal or any other seal) to get 9 more levels. I believe some classes allow you get up to 40 right off from the start like Dread Fighter, Dark Falcon and the classes from Awakening DLC.
you sure? I know you can increase max level with an eternal seal, but I've heard nothing about promotion level effecting it. For the record, the reason Jacob and Felecia can level to 40 is that eternal seals are built in to them for some reason. I've also heard promoted units are counted as level plus 20 when switching to the special classes or skills that consider level

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Were Birthright ch 18-20 designed to just let your newly promoted dudes train up their new weapon levels? The dip in difficulty was noticeable. Seems like ch21 is back on track.

So has anyone really used magic weapons? I know they can't crit or activate offensive skills, but I was wondering if the damage + skills (like quick draw or aggressor) worked with them. I was thinking of making a magic weapon build that focused on just doing high base damage since those weapons are all quite powerful and have 1-2 range.

Draxal

Growth rate seems different in Revelations. Some characters are definitely worse for me than they were in Conquest. Disappointed it reused some maps already.

Rev reuses pretty much every map that's either in Birthright or Conquest.

So has anyone really used magic weapons? I know they can't crit or activate offensive skills, but I was wondering if the damage + skills (like quick draw or aggressor) worked with them. I was thinking of making a magic weapon build that focused on just doing high base damage since those weapons are all quite powerful and have 1-2 range.

You use them for certain characters Felicia with a Flaming Shuriken; Hinoka with a Shock Stick; Sakura with a Shining Bow.

omlet

They really only make sense for certain characters, as mentioned. Most of your sword users, for example, are better off with a "real" sword than a Levin sword because of their stats. Another exception would be someone like Leo for a situation where axe users might close in on him and having a sword rather than a book readied would be better.

There are a few other 1-2 range weapons in the game now. Fates adds 1-2 range non-magic swords (Kodachi and Umbrella, at least; maybe more than those) which is a nice addition considering how long throwing axes and javelins have been around. I have been getting a lot of use out of those.

They really only make sense for certain characters, as mentioned. Most of your sword users, for example, are better off with a "real" sword than a Levin sword because of their stats. Another exception would be someone like Leo for a situation where axe users might close in on him and having a sword rather than a book readied would be better.

There are a few other 1-2 range weapons in the game now. Fates adds 1-2 range non-magic swords (Kodachi and Umbrella, at least; maybe more than those) which is a nice addition considering how long throwing axes and javelins have been around. I have been getting a lot of use out of those.
Generic 1-2 range physical weapons can't double hit though

Vamphuntr

you sure? I know you can increase max level with an eternal seal, but I've heard nothing about promotion level effecting it. For the record, the reason Jacob and Felecia can level to 40 is that eternal seals are built in to them for some reason. I've also heard promoted units are counted as level plus 20 when switching to the special classes or skills that consider level

Yeah I edited it. You need to switch to Dread Fighter, Dark Falcon, Great lord or classes that allow to reach 40.

Cocaine_

Neo Member

Good thing I'm playing on Normal already!

omlet

Good thing I'm playing on Normal already!

I haven't tried normal in Fates yet but if it's anything like normal in Awakening
enemies hit you for 0 on the first map and it's generally so easy it's not even fun lol
you pretty much can't mess up badly enough to get stuck.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I haven't tried normal in Fates yet but if it's anything like normal in Awakening
enemies hit you for 0 on the first map and it's generally so easy it's not even fun lol
you pretty much can't mess up badly enough to get stuck.

Maybe it's just because it's my first game and whatnot, but I've actually had my fair share of soft resets thus far due to making one wrong step, and promptly losing someone really squishy due to negligence.

I'm glad about this Levin Sword/magic weapon discussion because I'm currently at a loss in terms of my Revelation Corrin build and Levin Sword Paladin was one of the options that I kept hearing. I'm not sure how effective it would be though, and this is going to be my grind file so I don't want to screw myself with a bad build.

In Conquest I went for +Str -Lck Swordmaster with a handful of Nohr Prince/Noble skills which worked out quite well for Conquest. In Birthright I'm doing a +Skl -Lck Hero build with an emphasis on offensive skill activation aided by the Hoshido Noble class skill.

I want to do a +Mag build for Revelation, but I'm unsure of my best options. Any tips?

Maybe it's just because it's my first game and whatnot, but I've actually had my fair share of soft resets thus far due to making one wrong step, and promptly losing someone really squishy due to negligence.

It's my second after Awakening and I've done the same thing plenty of times. Accidentally leaving the wrong unit as the lead in a pair has been a particular bugbear.

omlet

Oh, I meant like in terms of classing up early, picking suboptimal classes or skills or suboptimal marriages for people. Things like that. You can definitely still make deadly mistakes in the battles even on normal mode.

I was thinking of doing this for tome users who I wanted to stop using Tomes. Its a bit of an odd choice, but I find most tomes fairly average, and the skills magic users get aren't too great, nor are their overall defensive stats. I figured if I changed them over to a class with some better defensive growths, gave them a magic weapons and some damage+ skills they could abuse their high natural magic growth to keep improving while also contributing more. The only thing I was unsure about was whether it would work, since they would really like damage skills to make up for bad performance early (before I arms scoll them to C). Just something I wanted to mess around with since I'm pretty much set on my Conquest run with characters and such, but was thinking of experimenting on Nyx since mine ended up with terrible defensive stats but pretty solid magic and speed.

Squire

Banned
Were Birthright ch 18-20 designed to just let your newly promoted dudes train up their new weapon levels? The dip in difficulty was noticeable. Seems like ch21 is back on track.

Probably, but in general I've found the game ebbs and flows. You probably won't have too tough a time with Ch. 22.

Edit: Bolt Naginata is so good on Hinoka. Love it.

Luigi87

How many unique maps are in each version?

The majority of maps are definitely unique between Birthright and Conquest, but some overlap (usually being done from the opposite side) but also with a differing Map Completion objective.

I really wish My Castle battles didn't give EXP on Birthright. I just want to grind supports without EXP gain. Something I like in Conquest, lol

onionfrog

Doing Kana and Sophie's paralogues when I was underleveled sure was fun!
Only at ch. 11 atm with no promoted units ...

On the plus side, they are both beasts after handling Sophie's paralogue largely by themselves.

Astarte

So if I use a non-master seal on a character that's level 15 or so, will they retroactively gain the skills of the other classes that they swap to?

Moonlight

Banned
Hoo boy, Velouria's paralogue is interesting in terms of the map dynamic. That triple combo of Entrap + Freeze + Enfeeble, lol. Gotta be really keen with those silence DVs. Luckily, doesn't seem too hard otherwise. Bait in the bulk of the forces and rush the magicians, basically.

Anustart

Doing Kana and Sophie's paralogues when I was underleveled sure was fun!
Only at ch. 11 atm with no promoted units ...

On the plus side, they are both beasts after handling Sophie's paralogue largely by themselves.

I'm on chapter 12, don't know what a paralogue is and have never seen a Kana or Sophie. What am I missing?

Squire

Banned
I'm on chapter 12, don't know what a paralogue is and have never seen a Kana or Sophie. What am I missing?

When two of your units of the opposite sex reach their S support, they're coupled romantically and have a child. Paralogues are chapters you complete to then recruit that child into your army.

Draxal

If you got Mozu, you've done Paralogue 1. The other paralogues are obtained by S ranking a male and a female character, the paralogue unlocked depends on the Father (except for a Female Corrin and Azura who have their unique kids).

I've been sitting at Chapter 15 of Conquest but doing all of the Paralogues that I unlocked. I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong and cheating. Though some of the Paralogues have been a little challenging.

Anustart

So I guess I don't understand the win condition for birthright 12. Have Corrin escape! There's a flashing red tile which I assume is the exit.

I fly Corrin over there and..... nothing. Enemy gets there turn even though I'm there. Do I have to do a king of the hill and defend the exit or what? My units do like no damage to any unit on this map so don't know what else I can do.

CcujSQfUcAAR4Oz.jpg:large

Conquest hate is real.

Neol

$10 more because its clearly the better version. :3

All joking aside Birthright seems to be more popular. When I went to pick up my copy there were no more copies of birthright while there was still 5 copies of conquest left.

So I guess I don't understand the win condition for birthright 12. Have Corrin escape! There's a flashing red tile which I assume is the exit.

I fly Corrin over there and..... nothing. Enemy gets there turn even though I'm there. Do I have to do a king of the hill and defend the exit or what? My units do like no damage to any unit on this map so don't know what else I can do.

There should be an escape option when you go onto the space with Corrin so not sure what the problem is.

Also, if you can, one of the enemies drops a hammer which is pretty useful for the upcoming chapters.

I'm glad about this Levin Sword/magic weapon discussion because I'm currently at a loss in terms of my Revelation Corrin build and Levin Sword Paladin was one of the options that I kept hearing. I'm not sure how effective it would be though, and this is going to be my grind file so I don't want to screw myself with a bad build.

In Conquest I went for +Str -Lck Swordmaster with a handful of Nohr Prince/Noble skills which worked out quite well for Conquest. In Birthright I'm doing a +Skl -Lck Hero build with an emphasis on offensive skill activation aided by the Hoshido Noble class skill.

I want to do a +Mag build for Revelation, but I'm unsure of my best options. Any tips?

Honestly, on Rev it doesn't really matter, does it? I mean, through friend seals you have access to every magic class anyway, so even if it turns out that a magic weapon build isn't working, you can always fall back on a straight up tome user, right? If the issue is whether or not you want to go +mag however, then maybe try out a magic weapon build on someone in birthright, since you can endlessly grind for resources there.

Part of me realized that had I chosen Wyvern Knight as my talent, I could have just married Nyx and sent her to Malig Knight and given her the bolt axe while keeping access to tomes. Would have been a safe way to actually test this... Maybe I'll just wait for my Birthright playthrough and test it out on Orochi.

Top Bottom