• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shinypogs

Ophelia's paralogue is one of the easier Conquest paralogues actually

I'd find it easier if both of my main tanks weren't unable to be used.

Wyveryn lord percy with momma effie pairup is normally my wall of fuck you. He can ORKO the odd archer and has enough hp that his garbage res stat won't get him killed. However on this map at the time I am doing it percy can't be used because there are so many enemies he gets surrounded and can't get to or escape from the archers. His rediculous def actually fucks him over, even as he is constantly getting hit with seal defense several enemy units can't do any damage and just built up around him.
I can't swap effie in because of the beserkers with hammers and her def is better than her son so I still get the problem of enemies building up faster than we can clear them since they take no counter attack damage on enemy phase. Basically I have to throw xander at that side of the map and hope he crits several times.

Its super frustrating because leo can take the mages and wyveryn lords to the left no problem and niles usually snipes whichever wyveryn lord didn't go for leo. As a master ninja married to benny I can hold my own and clear the upper part of the map with sorcerer Ophelia picking off any target I didn't double or just barely didn't kill. Hero laslow is off doing his own thing with elise nearby for demoiselle and healing backups well as the odd fireball.

I keep failing as I start to bring the team back togeather to rescue xander who has slowly been chipped down and to deal with what I assume is the last wave of reinforcements from the top. I think I might just need to break out a freeze staff to keep the seal defense units off leo while I pick them off. He can take a normal hit or two fine with his peri pairup boosting his def but if he gets hit with seal def he gets destroyed.

Sorry for the babbling, it helps me to think before I take this on again.

Was there a single fog of war map in conquest

So many stupid gimmicks but I don't remember anything like that

Maybe it was in the paralogues. I only bothered with Kana and shigure

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'd find it easier if both of my main tanks weren't unable to be used.

Wyveryn lord percy with momma effie pairup is normally my wall of fuck you. He can ORKO the odd archer and has enough hp that his garbage res stat won't get him killed. However on this map at the time I am doing it percy can't be used because there are so many enemies he gets surrounded and can't get to or escape from the archers. His rediculous def actually fucks him over, even as he is constantly getting hit with seal defense several enemy units can't do any damage and just built up around him.
I can't swap effie in because of the beserkers with hammers and her def is better than her son so I still get the problem of enemies building up faster than we can clear them since they take no counter attack damage on enemy phase. Basically I have to throw xander at that side of the map and hope he crits several times.

Its super frustrating because leo can take the mages and wyveryn lords to the left no problem and niles usually snipes whichever wyveryn lord didn't go for leo. As a master ninja married to benny I can hold my own and clear the upper part of the map with sorcerer Ophelia picking off any target I didn't double or just barely didn't kill. Hero laslow is off doing his own thing with elise nearby for demoiselle and healing backups well as the odd fireball.

I keep failing as I start to bring the team back togeather to rescue xander who has slowly been chipped down and to deal with what I assume is the last wave of reinforcements from the top. I think I might just need to break out a freeze staff to keep the seal defense units off leo while I pick them off. He can take a normal hit or two fine with his peri pairup boosting his def but if he gets hit with seal def he gets destroyed.

Sorry for the babbling, it helps me to think before I take this on again.

I spent all weekend grinding supports and unlocked all the paralogues (left out Jakob at the suggestion of this thread). I'm going to try this one next, it sounds tough (Hard/Casual). I'm at Ch.25 in the story, I tried it and got my ass kicked. I figure I'll finish all the paralogues then go back to wrap up the story, that should have me properly leveled.

I have REALLY enjoyed chapters 20-25, the maps are great and the music is superb. It really feels like they saved the best for last here, I hope to continue to enjoy the last four.

GamerSoul

Was there a single fog of war map in conquest

So many stupid gimmicks but I don't remember anything like that

Maybe it was in the paralogues. I only bothered with Kana and shigure

I don't remember seeing one. The paralogues I played involved the children for Corrin, Niles, Laslow, Kaze, and Keaton.

And whoever told me to try out Keaton, thank you! He was an amazing character and one of my main units throughout Conquest. Is the Birthright fox guy also as good?

PBalfredo

Just finished Shigure's paralogue and the gimmick for that stage is really cool. At first glance I though it would be like the many boat missions used previously in the series, but the alternating boardings was a fun twist.

Shinypogs

I spent all weekend grinding supports and unlocked all the paralogues (left out Jakob at the suggestion of this thread). I'm going to try this one next, it sounds tough (Hard/Casual). I'm at Ch.25 in the story, I tried it and got my ass kicked. I figure I'll finish all the paralogues then go back to wrap up the story, that should have me properly leveled.
I

I have REALLY enjoyed chapters 20-25, the maps are great and the music is superb. It really feels like they saved the best for last here, I hope to continue to enjoy the last four.

Ahh I'm hard/classic so any deaths mean a reset for me. The biggest issue you run into is the AI not attacking if they Can't hurt you and but leaving you surrounded so when enemies that can hurt you show up you get killed. That and the adventurers with pass. Still with a bit of finagling I got it done just now!

Ahh I'm only marrying people if I want their kids as part of the team so I have limited paralogues to work with. Plus outside of percy who I picked up early everyone else got pushed to post chapter 18 for the benefit of offspring seals.

I hope you have fun and get all the rewards when you do it.

Btw why is it recommended to skip Jacobs kid? I know his personal skill is garbage but hey extra xp is extra xp. Are all his s supports bad enough to avoid marrying him?

PK Gaming

Just cleared Chapter 24 on Lunatic... If I smoked i'd be doing that right now, because goddamn.

Cg26VsJVEAAQoZh.jpg

You'd better pray you have some sort of way of altering avoid because Hinoka's evasion after throne bonuses are through the roof. Thank God for Heartseeker. But even defeating Hinoka isn't enough, the game gives you one last middle finger.

When Hinoka goes down, the mooks stop attacking you and instead block you from seizing. Which doesn't sound like a big deal, but the map just gets flooded with Peg Knights at that point so the clock is ticking. Thankfully my team could survive at least one round, but it was dicey for a sec.

Ah I already played past Ch.23, does he only have all those skills in Lunatic?

Yeah, it's Lunatic only.

Ahh I'm hard/classic so any deaths mean a reset for me. The biggest issue you run into is the AI not attacking if they Can't hurt you and but leaving you surrounded so when enemies that can hurt you show up you get killed. That and the adventurers with pass. Still with a bit of finagling I got it done just now!

Ahh I'm only marrying people if I want their kids as part of the team so I have limited paralogues to work with. Plus outside of percy who I picked up early everyone else got pushed to post chapter 18 for the benefit of offspring seals.

I hope you have fun and get all the rewards when you do it.

Btw why is it recommended to skip Jacobs kid? I know his personal skill is garbage but hey extra xp is extra xp. Are all his s supports bad enough to avoid marrying him?

Second join Jakob is an awful unit who doesn't really pair off well with anyone besides Corrin. His son's paralogue is actually amazing for EXP and comes with a free physic and bloom festival. It's difficult to justify pairing him off with anyone.

I've mainly stayed out of this thread until I had time to get back to this game. While I'm very much enjoying it, I would like to know just what I should do in Birthright Chapter 12. Also, are there any specific units I should pair with each other? Feeling a bit more lost on that in this one.

Azuran

Banned
I've mainly stayed out of this thread until I had time to get back to this game. While I'm very much enjoying it, I would like to know just what I should do in Birthright Chapter 12. Also, are there any specific units I should pair with each other? Feeling a bit more lost on that in this one.

Easiest way to do Chapter 12 is to grab a flyer and ferry Corrin straight to the escape point. Is cheesy as hell but it works. The alternative is to rush straight to the Dragon Vein in the middle of the map before Xander catches up to you which can pretty difficult at that stage of the game.

If you're playing in Normal, then it doesn't really matter what approach you take since Xander will never move in that difficulty.

Easiest way to do Chapter 12 is to grab a flyer and ferry Corrin straight to the escape point. Is cheesy as hell but it works. The alternative is to rush straight to the Dragon Vein in the middle of the map before Xander catches up to you which can pretty difficult at that stage of the game.

If you're playing in Normal, then it doesn't really matter what approach you take since Xander will never move in that difficulty.
Thanks. I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if it was too easy and I would miss something if I did. Maybe I was giving it too much credit, haha. Playing on Hard as well.

Azuran

Banned
Thanks. I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if it was too easy and I would miss something if I did. Maybe I was giving it too much credit, haha. Playing on Hard as well.

The only thing you might miss is the Dracoshield in the chest which is really not that hard to get if you try going for it.

Just cleared Chapter 24 on Lunatic... If I smoked i'd be doing that right now, because goddamn.

You'd better pray you have some sort of way of altering avoid because Hinoka's evasion after throne bonuses are through the roof. Thank God for Heartseeker. But even defeating Hinoka isn't enough, the game gives you one last middle finger.

When Hinoka goes down, the mooks stop attacking you and instead block you from seizing. Which doesn't sound like a big deal, but the map just gets flooded with Peg Knights at that point so the clock is ticking. Thankfully my team could survive at least one round, but it was dicey for a sec.

Yeah, it's Lunatic only.

Second join Jakob is an awful unit who doesn't really pair off well with anyone besides Corrin. His son's paralogue is actually amazing for EXP and comes with a free physic and bloom festival. It's difficult to justify pairing him off with anyone.

Yeah, I loved playing that chapter on Lunatic. Beast Killer Shigure, Percy, and Hunter Knife Kaze just destroyed the boss and all the other fliers.

Leo was good for tanking and killing the footies in Setsuna's area.

Lynx_7

Is Birthright's idea of difficulty just throwing what feels like infinite waves of reinforcements one after another on route maps? Because I've only just beaten chapter 10 (a far cry from its intense Nohr equivalent) and it already feels that way. It's not so much difficult as it's annoying, even on Lunatic. And from what most people say it gets even easier when you get Ryoma, right?

Story has been ok. It's not terribly exciting but it's better written I guess? Though to be honest so far I appreciate Conquest's cheer lunacy and contrivances more than what looks like a pretty milquetoast, middle-of-the-road approach. Hope it gets better later on.

Is Birthright's idea of difficulty just throwing what feels like infinite waves of reinforcements one after another on route maps?

yeah, pretty much, in fact enemy density is so much higher you typically end up with a few more levels than on hard mode which is lol cause enemy stats don't improve

Shinypogs

Ophelia with nosferatu is flat out broken and this tome has been nerfed since then last game apparently? Also Iove her personal skill, precious bookworm crit mage is so adorable.

I was supposed to make percy a berserker but god damn he's just too good as wyveryn lord. I regret never really using him in past runs.

Soleil also turned out pretty good. Using kids I ignored or never picked up in past runs has been fun on top of switching from normal to hard. So much replayability with differing combos. I need more than nine save slots dammit.

KSai

And from what most people say it gets even easier when you get Ryoma, right?

He is such a good crutch to lean on. I depended on him to beat chapter 15 and from then on started grinding everybody else up.

I just beat the ninja cave on Conquest and lost motivation to continue. I shouldn't have spent my remaining gold on Aptitude, I'm going to need that Armorslayer. Maybe I'll get lucky after I grind Percy's map, my Nyx is barely level 13.

I've come to learn that the earlier you buy Profiteer the easier your life will be.

I'm getting that for at least Corrin the moment I get to Revelations Chapter 7.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Buying skills feels like cheating.

And Aptitude is 5000 gold? That's 33 tonics lol. Tonics also kind of feel like cheating though. I still used them in a few late game chapters (25-27), mostly because I was just ready to be done with the game.

Moonlight

Banned
Tonics are a resource immediately available from your own shop. I don't consider that 'cheating' by any measure short of the strictest terms of a challenge run.

And they'll always be better than Aptitude no matter what.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm weird in that I don't want "help." Tonics kind of feel like a crutch or assist.

But I realize I'm very dumb and normal people don't think like that, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

Renewed

With the growths I've been having on Conquest Lunatic, I need all the help I can get from tonics. Now I'm at a point where I don't need them as much anymore but we'll see when I start Ch19.

Is Birthright's idea of difficulty just throwing what feels like infinite waves of reinforcements one after another on route maps? Because I've only just beaten chapter 10 (a far cry from its intense Nohr equivalent) and it already feels that way. It's not so much difficult as it's annoying, even on Lunatic. And from what most people say it gets even easier when you get Ryoma, right?

Story has been ok. It's not terribly exciting but it's better written I guess? Though to be honest so far I appreciate Conquest's cheer lunacy and contrivances more than what looks like a pretty milquetoast, middle-of-the-road approach. Hope it gets better later on.

I only played Birthright on Hard so far, but I know that many Hoshido units are very lackluster in the late game because they have bad growths. You will have no choice but to heavily rely on Ryoma to deal with certain enemy waves. He does make most of the game easy. Chapter 23 is an enormous difficulty spike over the chapters directly preceding it, and it is just unbalanced. When you combine this spike with several underleveled joining units and poor stats for non-royals, it's as if the difficulty was balanced around around completing Challenges and Paralogues.

Even though the Nohrian royals are noticeably better than other units in Conquest, the map design forces you to use everyone on your main team. The non-royal units here have much better durability and combat compared to their Hoshido counterparts. Most of them join with acceptable levels and base stats, so they still have a chance to be perfectly viable. The map design and enemy-only skills are very difficult, but the enemies themselves never feel overpowered. Conquest is designed around you having limited resources, and the developers absolutely nailed the game's balance. You are never underleveled in this path.

I will complete Lunatic Birthright for the profile medal. It shouldn't be hard especially because I did the other paths on the same difficulty.

I only played Birthright on Hard so far, but I know that many Hoshido units are very lackluster in the late game because they have bad growths. You will have no choice but to heavily rely on Ryoma to deal with certain enemy waves. He does make most of the game easy. Chapter 23 is an enormous difficulty spike over the chapters directly preceding it, and it is just unbalanced. When you combine this spike with several underleveled joining units and poor stats for non-royals, it's as if the difficulty was balanced around around completing Challenges and Paralogues.

Not really, a lot of units are capable of largely replicating Ryoma's 1-2 range combat with enough investment (and also cause Birthright enemies are bad), and I'm fairly sure Birthright characters don't have worse growths (besides in defense).

Now Revelation, that's a route that was not balanced at all.

(and the only reason 23 is a difficulty spike is cause the previous 6 chapters were jokes)

People overrate growths anyways, my Kaze has had poor strength in every run but has also been a fucking monster in each run because a +str pair up combined with forged steel shurikens means he doesn't have damage issues aginst 90% of enemies anyways.

Ryoma isn't good because of his growths, he's good because he comes prepackaged with everything you want: he can't die (especially after getting Astra one level from base), he's almost guaranteed to ORKO everything, and his no penalty 1-2 range sword in a game with both nerfed 1-2 range combat and some of the biggest enemy phase heavy play in the series are what make him so absurdly good.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, Ryoma's good for the same reason Xander's good. Like, pretty much exactly. He just arrives at a good time with a ridiculous weapon (and enough from the get go speed to double consistently unlike Xander) and enemies basically custom made to melt against him.

Not really, a lot of units are capable of largely replicating Ryoma's 1-2 range combat with enough investment (and also cause Birthright enemies are bad), and I'm fairly sure Birthright characters don't have worse growths (besides in defense).

Now Revelation, that's a route that was not balanced at all.

(and the only reason 23 is a difficulty spike is cause the previous 6 chapters were jokes)

I would like to see examples of this. Particularly non-Corrin units. The only high evade characters that I can think of are Hana and Kaden, and they sure can't handle multiple physical enemies or double with ranged weapons. Oboro is one of the other few units with great overall stats, but her 2-range combat doesn't seem that great.

I would actually be interested in this information for my Lunatic playthrough.

champloo

I would like to see examples of this. Particularly non-Corrin units. The only high evade characters that I can think of are Hana and Kaden, and they sure can't handle multiple physical enemies or double with ranged weapons. Oboro is one of the other few units with great overall stats, but her 2-range combat doesn't seem that great.

I'm at chapter 25 on Birthright Lunatic, and I haven't used Ryoma or Takumi. So I don't really know how good Ryoma is. I don't think he can handle multiple ninjas or lance masters, or can he?

Some units I found to be great:
- I have my Saizo turned to an Oni Chieftain. He is super tanky, and has good enough magic to be a mix attacker, speed is a bit lacking but that can be patched.
- Similarly, my Great Knight!Sakura can take quite a beating. She also hits very hard with a Bolt Naginata.
- I don't think Hinoka need any explanation. She just need to be reclassed as soon as possible. She doesn't has a good 2-range game though.
- Azama also want to be reclassed early. His flat growth is very similar to Ryoma's. maybe slightly better. Make him a Mechanist and you have another tank who can handle 1-2 range.
- The glass cannons (Kagero/Hana) has their usefulness. Kagero can ORKO anything from 2 range. If you are lucky enough to find one, with Kagero's Dart(+20 avo) she dodges like crazy. Hana is great in the late game once I got her Awakening&Vantage combo.

Of cause no one is as good as Ryoma from the get go. But with investment anyone can be useful, and Ryoma is certainly not irreplaceable.

Shinypogs

I just grabbed shurikenfaire, should I temporarily heart seal to mechanist and grab replicate in two levels? On one hand its pretty late in the game. I have five chapters plus endgame left so I won't have too many chances to make use of my copy. On the flip side more ninjas is always better* plus twice the debuffed targets is great.

* not looking forward to chapter 25 AKA ninja hell two. More ninjas on my team is good, ninjas for the enemy are the worst.

PK Gaming

Saizo, Kagerou and Kaze (to a lesser extent)

Hinoka with the Bolt Nagitana and the right set up

Felicia with the Flame Shuriken (for a period of time)

KSai

Buying skills feels like cheating.

And Aptitude is 5000 gold? That's 33 tonics lol. Tonics also kind of feel like cheating though. I still used them in a few late game chapters (25-27), mostly because I was just ready to be done with the game.

3000 gold. I've used the rainbow tonics in battle before, but I've never gone out of my way to buy them. Laslow and Azura's dance have been enough along with having combinations of Felicia, Elise, or Camilla adjacent.

I got the Fire Emblem Fates 8-disc soundtrack delivered but I'm a little disappointed with the package. The quality feels kinda cheap.

Time to borrow someones superdrive so I can rip this soundtrack in the highest quality and put it on my computer.

Also noticed in the back of the case its Xander and Ryoma sitting side by side watching Azura's show, which I thought was a nice touch.

So we can finally listen The Black Songstress sans Garons of increasing discomfort.

Now to wait for the english version that we'll likely never get...

[ groans of increasing comfort ]

This is so good

Top Bottom