• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

So Gamestop just sent me a new special edition, since the first one I got was somewhat crushed. Pretty cool of them, but this one is even more crushed than the first one.

Ouch, that sounds terrible. Do you know what happened? Would it be safer to pick up from a store (if they can do that)?

sulik

Ouch, that sounds terrible. Do you know what happened? Would it be safer to pick up from a store (if they can do that)?

Gamestop sent it in an envelope again instead of a box. I'll just live with it. Can't complain really, they let me keep both of the copies. Honestly, I'm really surprised they had any left in stock 2 months after the release.

tauroxd

My first Fire Emblem was Sacred Stones. It's the bestest Fire Emblem of all the times because all the women were Strength-screwed and would lose their minor Speed advantage over the men and then some for trying to pick up anything heavier than a frying pan thanks to their poor Constitution, making them absolutely terrible by endgame when they can't damage anything with a Defense stat.

Shoutout to even betterest Fire Emblem Blazing Sword's Lyn who zero-damaged the final fucking boss with a weapon designed to kill the final fucking boss.

...I don't think I'm doing this right.

Man, Lynn, Eliwood, Eirika, and, to a lesser extent, Ephraim, are pretty shitty units.

PK Gaming

I watched my brother play RD, and I played a bit of it myself, but FE8 was the first FE game I beat on my own, and I have fond memories of that game. Totally going to go through it again after I finish up with Fates.

My first Fire Emblem was Sacred Stones. It's the bestest Fire Emblem of all the times because all the women were Strength-screwed and would lose their minor Speed advantage over the men and then some for trying to pick up anything heavier than a frying pan thanks to their poor Constitution, making them absolutely terrible by endgame when they can't damage anything with a Defense stat.

Shoutout to even betterest Fire Emblem Blazing Sword's Lyn who zero-damaged the final fucking boss with a weapon designed to kill the final fucking boss.

...I don't think I'm doing this right.

Not even. Eirika had 40% Strength growth and 30% defense growth, which is pretty high for a Myrmidon. (Joshua had 35% and 30% in the Japanese version with even less defense than Eirika). Tana is chilling with 45%/65% offenses, and so on.

Con is a legitimately lame stat, but it rarely made a difference in practice, and the fact that girls were the only ones who could get Pegasus Knight (which resulted in the godlike Wyvern class) was a huge boon for them.

Marisa is the only case where she's objectively worse than her male counterpart, but she was just a case of poor design from the ground up. Atrocious bases, and in the Japanese version she actually had objectively worse growths than Joshua. Lyn doing shit damage to the final boss is due to the fact that Sol Katti's damage sucking booty.

Man, Lynn, Eliwood, Eirika, and, to a lesser extent, Ephraim, are pretty shitty units.

Eirika is underrated and perfectly usable on her route. Lyn is decent. Eliwood is mediocre, and Ephraim is really solid.

With the game coming out in about a months time in the uk, can someone tell me which game has the better cast. Just in terms of how they're written. Understand birthright has a better story but conquest has a better gameplay.

LordJim

3 of those have horseriding promotions, so they escape being shitty(especially if Eliwood is in Hector route). The twins also get good unique weapons to abuse.
Lyn is shit, yeah.

With the game coming out in about a months time in the uk, can someone tell me which game has the better cast. Just in terms of how they're written. Understand birthright has a better story but conquest has a better gameplay.

Conquest has the better cast. Better royals/retainers(imo). If you want to experience both casts, get Revelations.

Azuran

Banned
I got the Omega Yato and now I'm in love. This sword is so good and satisfying to use.

I like both casts, but Conquest has the majority of the crazier and over the top characters so that gives it the extra edge in my eyes. Kinda hard not to like a game that has Niles, Odin, and Arthur.

Conquest has the better cast. Better royals/retainers(imo). If you want to experience both casts, get Revelations.

I got the Omega Yato and now I'm in love. This sword is so good and satisfying to use.

I like both casts, but Conquest has the majority of the crazier and over the top characters so that gives it the extra edge in my eyes. Kinda hard not to like a game that has Niles, Odin, and Arthur.

I see, so conquest it is. There's a lot of games coming out in May and June so think I will probably manage one or two runs which will be revelations and conquest. Are there a lot of characters exclusive to birthright.

L95

I see, so conquest it is. There's a lot of games coming out in May and June so think I will probably manage one or two runs which will be revelations and conquest. Are there a lot of characters exclusive to birthright.

If you're getting conquest and revelation, there are 1.5 characters you're missing out on.

I say .5 because there's a character you get in Revelation (that also appears in Birthright) that has really limited availability. But you do get them. Technically.

Yukimura is the only exclusive one and he's not a major character. In Conquest, Izana. Also, you only get Scarlet(BR) for a short amount of time in revelations.

If you're getting conquest and revelation, there are 1.5 characters you're missing out on.

I say .5 because there's a character you get in Revelation (that also appears in Birthright) that has really limited availability. But you do get them. Technically.

Yukimura is the only exclusive one and he's not a major character. In Conquest, Izana. Also, you only get Scarlet(BR) for a short amount of time in revelations.

Appreciated on the quick response. Think it's conquest for me then which basically camilla will be paired with my avatar. Will return to this thread to offer my woes when conquest defeats me.

Appreciated on the quick response. Think it's conquest for me then which basically camilla will be paired with my avatar. Will return to this thread to offer my woes when conquest defeats me.

Just as a notification: If you want all the kids in Conquest/Revelations, pairing Male Corrin with non second gen or non Corrinsexual characters will result in a child you can't get.

Just as a notification: If you want all the kids in Conquest/Revelations, pairing Male Corrin with non second gen or non Corrinsexual characters will result in a child you can't get.

I see. One thing I need to ask if there is a way to get all the children or are some always missable. If are some missable, then I feel less committed to go missable characters.

I see. One thing I need to ask if there is a way to get all the children or are some always missable. If are some missable, then I feel less committed to go missable characters.

Yes, there is a way. Either Female Corrin or marry someone else. If you want to go male corrin, you'll have to marry a corrin sexual(there are 4 of those) or a second gen(child) unit.

Yes, there is a way. Either Female Corrin or marry someone else. If you want to go male corrin, you'll have to marry a corrin sexual(there are 4 of those) or a second gen(child) unit.

Always do make character first run so guess I'm going to keep an eye out the corrin sexual character and see if any of them or a child character have an appealing character.

Aters

Finally finished both Birthright and Conquest.
Now I like it a lot more than I did. The Otaku bait is still terrible, and the story is still bullshit. But I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. The gameplay in Conquest is so much fun. Most of the classes and weapons are balanced. Level design is really great, and unlike most of the other entries, the game remains challenging in the later chapters.

Still, I wish they can get rid of the nonsense, hire a better writer, and use 2D presentation instead of 3D models next time.

I really think the children system is unnecessary, then again, this is not the first FE with redundant characters.

Still hate Awakening, that game has no saving grace.

Revelation Ch. 16:
Hi, Scarlet!
Revelation Ch. 18:
Bye, Scarlet!
ಠ_ಠ

Not even. Eirika had 40% Strength growth and 30% defense growth, which is pretty high for a Myrmidon. (Joshua had 35% and 30% in the Japanese version with even less defense than Eirika). Tana is chilling with 45%/65% offenses, and so on.

Con is a legitimately lame stat, but it rarely made a difference in practice, and the fact that girls were the only ones who could get Pegasus Knight (which resulted in the godlike Wyvern class) was a huge boon for them.

Marisa is the only case where she's objectively worse than her male counterpart, but she was just a case of poor design from the ground up. Atrocious bases, and in the Japanese version she actually had objectively worse growths than Joshua. Lyn doing shit damage to the final boss is due to the fact that Sol Katti's damage sucking booty.

Hey, Cormag's not a Pegasus Knight and he gets Wyvern Knight. :p He also starts with more Str at Lv. 9 than Eirika would get at Lv. 20 because she starts with a whopping 3. >.> Meanwhile, Joshua, though his growths may be poorer than Eirika's, at least starts with 8 at Lv. 5.

Seriously, -three Str- on top of being locked to swords which aren't exactly the heaviest hitters. She's just so...frustrating to use when her damage output -- her performance -- ranges from "good (like almost everyone else's because the game likes to send really squishy enemies that don't have much speed most of the time)" to "goddamnit, why aren't you Ephraim?" because anything with a Def stat can make her struggle greatly while others suffer nowhere near as badly, if at all. Like, it got to the point that she couldn't even kill regular ol' fighters for me and others who are supposed to be crap at the match-up powered their way through.

Will admit to skipping Tana because she started at Lv. 4 and I was too lazy to train her. Funnily enough though, I think she had as much Str as Eirika when she joined. <.<

-

Perhaps I was over-generalizing in saying women just flat-out sucked, but when the one you put front-and-center sucks for two games in a row compared to the men that also happen to be front-and-center and when 3/4ths of the few other women you get early on have the same all-speed, no-strength problem or are healers / mages in a sea of men, you get the crazy impression that the game hates women.

Eirika's biggest strengths are that her rapier is really good, she gets a horse when she promotes, and her legendary prf is absurdly good. Her strength doesn't matter all that much when she should just be killing mostly enemies she has effective damage against anyways.

PK Gaming

Hey, Cormag's not a Pegasus Knight and he gets Wyvern Knight. :p He also starts with more Str at Lv. 9 than Eirika would get at Lv. 20 because she starts with a whopping 3. >.> Meanwhile, Joshua, though his growths may be poorer than Eirika's, at least starts with 8 at Lv. 5.

Seriously, -three Str- on top of being locked to swords which aren't exactly the heaviest hitters. She's just so...frustrating to use when her damage output -- her performance -- ranges from "good (like almost everyone else's because the game likes to send really squishy enemies that don't have much speed most of the time)" to "goddamnit, why aren't you Ephraim?" because anything with a Def stat can make her struggle greatly while others suffer nowhere near as badly, if at all. Like, it got to the point that she couldn't even kill regular ol' fighters for me and others who are supposed to be crap at the match-up powered their way through.

Will admit to skipping Tana because she started at Lv. 4 and I was too lazy to train her. Funnily enough though, I think she had as much Str as Eirika when she joined. <.<

-

Perhaps I was over-generalizing in saying women just flat-out sucked, but when the one you put front-and-center sucks for two games in a row compared to the men that also happen to be front-and-center and when 3/4ths of the few other women you get early on have the same all-speed, no-strength problem or are healers / mages in a sea of men, you get the crazy impression that the game hates women.

Yeah, Eirika has the unfortunate distinction of starting at level 1 which results in her having pretty poor bases. That said, it isn't that big of a problem because of how FE:8 is set up. The earlygame is an axefest and she flourishes there. She can body some of the stronger enemies (including bosses) with her Rapier, she quickly supports with God himself, her promotion gives her a mount, all of her prf weapons are amazing, top tier availability and she's pretty much always doubling.

I get where you're coming from, but it's important to take a step back before jumping to conclusion (especially if that conclusion is something as radical as "this game hates women." Eirika is worse than Ephraim, but she's a good unit in her own right. And Lyn > Eliwood. Really, the "no strength all speed" trend was mostly due to the classes that were pidgeonholed into (which legitimately was a problem, but something they thankfully addressed in later installments).

Eirika's biggest strengths are that her rapier is really good, she gets a horse when she promotes, and her legendary prf is absurdly good. Her strength doesn't matter all that much when she should just be killing mostly enemies she has effective damage against anyways.

Yup. And she gets two Rapiers too.

Javier

After playing all three routes, I can definitely say that in terms of story, I enjoyed Revelation the most, then Conquest, and finally Birthright. I can attest to all the stupidity and leaps of logic Revelation and Conquest have, but at least they feel like interesting stuff is happening with some unusual plot turns. Yet Birthright is played pretty much completely straight. It even has what's probably the worst plot twist ever: (Lategame Birthright)
Takumi is a traitor! Then 10 seconds later he isn't. And that's the end of that.

Moonlight

Banned
3 of those have horseriding promotions, so they escape being shitty(especially if Eliwood is in Hector route). The twins also get good unique weapons to abuse.
Lyn is shit, yeah.
If Lyn is shit, Eliwood is six feet under the ground. Eliwood has underwhelming growths almost across the board, and struggles to find reason to exist in his own damn army. Lyn absolutely will kill the fuck out of shit through the mid-game and Blade Lord giving her a bow makes her a hell of a lot more useful especially as the game throws more flying units at you.

Hector is the only Lord in Elibe who's straight up good through and through, though.

Man, look, I love Lyn and I will probably use her all the time even though she's terrible, but she is terrible and Eliwood is definitely better. He gets a horse, he gets lance access in a game where lances are the strongest weapon, he has much better availability. His growths are a coin flip but it's easy to feed him levels with natural Rebecca chip into Eliwood finish early on. The rapier isn't as good as the Mani Katti but it's still good. He's not great but he's not as bad as you're making him out to be.

I miss Lords being way more balanced than they are currently :(

PK Gaming

Eliwood puts the E in mediocrity.

Awful bases, mediocre growths, mediocre personal weapons (nerfed Rapier and Durandal is too heavy), poor start (and mediocre ~ decent end depending on his growths). Will rarely ever double, mediocre durability, mediocre damage because lol swords + low base strength. Gets a mount and D-rank lances when he promotes, but the game is basically over at that point. Mediocre character too, lmao.

EDIT: Lyn doubles forever, is a star in her own route, Mani Katti is incredible and she promotes when Wyvern Rider's are prevalent. Yeah her durability is shit and she's sword locked for most of the game, but she actually has moments where she rises above mediocrity.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
About to start my true "perfect" file, not sure if making my subclass a Monk so I can see Camilla as a Priestess is a good idea.

GamerSoul

Finally beat conquest. I had to lower the difficulty to normal because chp 26 was annoying to the point where I was wasting my time. Those berserkers got me good..you win this time Hard mode. I think if I hadn't switch Corrin to a dread fighter it would have been easier for me. The added Res and Shuriken use was great but he ended up being too fragile in some situations.

Overall I felt this Conquest had better maps but at times I felt their gimmick forced me to limit myself to only a few strategic options, which made some maps feel like a drag.

On a positive note, the units had far more interesting personalities and could surprisingly take a hit. It was a welcomed changed. The story was passable and Azura's role in it was underwhelming. But I definitely felt for Corrin and his siblings more in Conquest. Xander is the best bro.

7.7032/10

Xenoflare

I want to make a thread to see if there is a majority on Gaf that had their first FE as Awakening and love it while hating Fates, but Europe should weigh in too I guess. The dumbest complaint from such a person I've read was that the characters were all 1-dimensional, like fuck, what was Awakening then?

I liked Fates much, much, much MUCH more than awakening while awakening is my first FE game.

All I can say is that I think Awakening's story isn't as offensively stupid as say, Conquest and Revelation.

I'm also playing Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword, and the variety of victory conditions just made Awakening even less appealing to me now because all it had was Rout

Fates objectively handles gameplay and mapdesign better.

In gameplay alone it's probably my favorite FE. (Still think they should remove the pair system tho, it's too abuse able and unclear in mechanics). But still the best out of all I've played.

I really do want a game with a less convoluted story next time tho.

Shinypogs

I really wish I'd been able to do Ophelia's paralogue earlier. This map is much more difficult than most of the campaign on hard so far. I like the anti turtle incentive and the bit of story at the start is cute though.

Finally beat conquest. I had to lower the difficulty to normal because chp 26 was annoying to the point where I was wasting my time. Those berserkers got me good..you win this time Hard mode. I think if I hadn't switch Corrin to a dread fighter it would have been easier for me. The added Res and Shuriken use was great but he ended up being too fragile in some situations.

Overall I felt this Conquest had better maps but at times I felt their gimmick forced me to limit myself to only a few strategic options, which made some maps feel like a drag.

On a positive note, the units had far more interesting personalities and could surprisingly take a hit. It was a welcomed changed. The story was passable and Azura's role in it was underwhelming. But I definitely felt for Corrin and his siblings more in Conquest. Xander is the best bro.

7.7032/10
what kind of score is that lmao
I really wish I'd been able to do Ophelia's paralogue earlier. This map is much more difficult than most of the campaign on hard so far. I like the anti turtle incentive and the bit of story at the start is cute though.
Ophelia's paralogue is one of the easier Conquest paralogues actually

Busaiku

Finally got everyone promoted.
This took much longer (not playtime, but number of days) than I would've liked, but I guess O got burned out from all the stuff.
Now I can finally get to beating Revelation...

I haven't played any of the DLC beyond the grinding stuff, but of the stuff that's available, are there any Apotheosis maps?
Or are they all just story/fanservice stuff?

really wanted to beat royal royale with all 8 teams...team sakura is breaking me
currently sitting with Ryoma and xander left....first 5 were hard enough

ok...ok...xander dead. Just ryoma left. One bullshit whiff and one lucky crit saved me on xander

I DID IT WOOO! lost subaki to a shitty ryoma crit, but managed to kill him with hana, and neither ninjas stood a chance against her

Reset

Ephraim is shit? Huh, he's one of the better lords.
Oh and I'm on Chapter 20 on Revelations and still have to get all the children, but I don't feel like playing anymore. Playing all three games back to back was a mistake.

Azuran

Banned
I finished Revelation last night and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The story wasn't the best in the series but I'm a sucker for heartwarming moments and the game was full of them. The ending cutscene made me pretty damn happy.

It was probably the weakest of the three when it comes to gameplay, but it was still a pretty solid game. The balancing issues did soured things a bit since it was stupid that I was still fighting enemies in bases classes all the way to Chapter 17. Also made leveling up the higher level characters a pain in the ass since they didn't get any exp from them. However, the majority of the map gimmicks were pretty cool and I would love to see them return in future games in a improved fashion.

Anyways, Fire Emblem Fates is now my favorite game in the series. It pretty much did everything better than Awakening in the stuff that matters in my eyes. I also preferred the characters on this one since there's a lot more of them that I like. I still need to unlock half of the children, so I can't say anything about them yet. Now I'll probably just grind supports, marry units, and finishing unlocking all the kids before I'm satisfied. I'll probably go for a couple of Lunatic runs later on, but I'm taking a break from the main game for now. I also need to tackle the majority of the DLC so there's still plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

Whats the name of the track that plays during the final chapter in Conquest? It sounds so beautiful and kinda reminds of Contest of Aeons from FFX.

PK Gaming

TLpiyZN.jpg

The key to the world's salvation is not the Yato.

but rather...

it lies in Nobu... Rally born

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
TLpiyZN.jpg

The key to the world's salvation is not the Yato.

but rather...

it lies in Nobu... Rally born

Awesome, where do you capture him? Also brings me to my next question, what happens if you're playing Classic and Niles dies? He's the only guy on my team with Capture, so if he dies is the prison useless?

Top Bottom