• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Moonlight

Banned
The intro to Chapter 27 isn't a huge deal, honestly. If units like Camilla, Xander, or Leo get sucked in (and why wouldn't you let them), enemies basically just crash against them and die. Then you just deal with the rest. The way that Endgame is split is kind of inconvenient, but the first part is like a ten minute at most buffer.

There's also Anna, moonlight slack.
Hey, just haven't poked my head in here for a bit.

but yes, a good reason to pay 1.99 go with anna :v

I found 26-endgame to be surprisingly easy on hard. 27 in particular felt like one of the easier chapters for the entire second half of the game since the entrap maidens are so dumb. I beat it 7 times without losing. Should have been "3," I only feel like two of my losses on endgame were actually my fault and not dumb RNG shenanigans.

The intro to Chapter 27 isn't a huge deal, honestly. If units like Camilla, Xander, or Leo get sucked in (and why wouldn't you let them), enemies basically just crash against them and die. Then you just deal with the rest. The way that Endgame is split is kind of inconvenient, but the first part is like a ten minute at most buffer.

Well good to know it isn't that hard, I was a little worried for a second because of the maidens and all the maxed out enemies. Guess its time to bring it home and finally beat conquest after so many hours of playtime

Shinypogs

Possibly the worst gameplay change in Conquest is that enemies don't attack if they do zero damage. I'm not sure anything in it frustrated me more aside from maybe the abundance of skills on everything.

Except of course for ninjas who will attack for no damage just so they can debuff you and another unit can actually do dmg even if it's just 1-2 points. That is sort of neat as well as units who will attack for no damage if they have skills that drain your hp after. Oh and ones who will attack you for no damage in order to lunge you to a unit who can hurt you. That said having had units whom the enemies will run around or simply stop in front of and refuse to attack I see where this does becoming annoying.

On the other hand I have seen the AI flat out ignore a killable unit for one they are guaranteed to do damage against if the killable unit has super high dodge like ryoma/kaze/niles. In cases like that you'd think the ai would take the chance of one of their attackers getting lucky over doing certain damage if that damage itself doesn't result in a kill. I'm not sure how you'd program them to make those sort of decisions though.

For the most part I like the AI especially when it will back off to heal or will heal instead of attacking so that the unit that does attack you doesn't die to to a counterattack.

Since I'll probably be grabbing awakening next month in my journey backwards through the series how does the AI compare and is there anything unexpected I should be aware of?

Problem with GBA cartridges atm is that there's a good chance that they're pirated copies now.

Well that's disappointing but I'd only feel comfortable using an emulator if I owned a copy of the game even if I couldn't verify that it was a genuine copy. I want to play the older games and do some of the randomized class challenges and boosting enemy growth stuffs you can do via emulators.

I would absolutely love to play the fates games with the option to have every recruitable unit be randomized upon their showing up and work my way through the challenge of doing maps without necessarily having the tools the developers were expecting you to have at that point. it'd be a neat mode to have in the games moving forward ( as well as a classic version that just reset when any unit died not just your avatar) but I don't know how much extra work that would be or space it would take up on a cart so at least for current gen portable games I'll have to make up my own challenges and restrictions.

PK Gaming

I actually like the fact that units won't attack units they can't damage. It's a system that prevents super units for just trivializing maps on their on, and there are useful applications (like in chapter 17 where you can use Camilla a create a chokepoint with those ninjas)

L95

Got the Witches' trial DLC to show my Gaiden support B)

(And I like the class way more than the dark mage so yaya)

I actually like the fact that units won't attack units they can't damage. It's a system that prevents super units for just trivializing maps on their on, and there are useful applications (like in chapter 17 where you can use Camilla a create a chokepoint with those ninjas)
It penalizes units for being better and just incentivizes you to use a character with mildly lower defense to do the same job. It also makes fast clearing a huge pain.

I hated it in FE4 too fwiw

PK Gaming

It penalizes units for being better and just incentivizes you to use a character with mildly lower defense to do the same job. It also makes fast clearing a huge pain.

I hated it in FE4 too fwiw

It sucks when your tank can't do their job, but it prevents the player mindlessly from sticking Xander/Corrin/etc in the middle of the map and just erasing swathes of enemies. "Super units" are a problem in pretty much every FE game, and i'm glad they actually tried to do something about it this time.

FWIW, I never really ran into that problem on Lunatic since enemies are generally strong enough to at least scratch even the sturdiest of units.

...They should bring back Fatigue >:)
I can only dream. The worst part about playing Thracia is that so many awesome mechanics are forever locked to just the one game (or later taken and made lame like Escape being glorified Seize). Fatigue is my number one thing I'd like to have come back, but Escape, permanent status effects, Rewarp, condition based gaidens (admittedly we did get these for two more games, idk why they got rid of them), having a large number of prfs for incidental side characters, scrolls, these are all things I would love to bring back.

Oh, and I kind of want movement growth back even though it's ridiculous and shouldn't exist.

It sucks when your tank can't do their job, but it prevents the player mindlessly from sticking Xander/Corrin/etc in the middle of the map and just erasing swathes of enemies. "Super units" are a problem in pretty much every FE game, and i'm glad they actually tried to do something about it this time.

FWIW, I never really ran into that problem on Lunatic since enemies are generally strong enough to at least scratch even the sturdiest of units.
Maybe it's not an issue on Lunatic, lol, I was a scrub on Hard. Juggernauts are a problem but I think they can be mitigated in much better ways than just making units ignore them, which is especially problematic since they won't ignore a unit they can scratch but effectively leave untouched. In Hard it was a gigantic pain in the ass that Xander would just get ignored on a large number of enemy phases and playing around it didn't make things interesting, just boring and frustrating, especially since it's different than AI behavior before. I mean, Ryoma never has this issue because he can be hurt, but I would say that he is a much, much more problematic super unit, it's just that he "can" take damage but won't because of Vantage/Astra/Guard Stance/dodgetanking.

Better ways to mitigate this is by diverse enemy compositions with mixing a large amount of magic and physical damage and adding effective weaponry often enough, or by making enemy density thick enough that you can't just have 1-2 juggernauts handle everything. FE6 does this really well with diverse threatening enemies (Wyvern Lords are threatening to basically anyone, plenty of status staves/siege tomes) and using the siege objective to the best the series has ever done. If side objectives are also worthwhile, it can demand that the player be forced to use multiple strong units instead of relying on one juggernaut to power through everything. The tradeoff to this in FE6 is that unit balance is awful, but even a stupidly OP Milady and Perceval weren't enough to just steamroll my way mindlessly through the lategame and I had to use many more units that weren't as ridiculous (Shin, Cecillia, Fir (>.>), Rutger, Tate and her sister, Niime, Saul) to do a lot because Milady and Perceval couldn't do everything at once or handle every situation.

L95

I can only dream. The worst part about playing Thracia is that so many awesome mechanics are forever locked to just the one game (or later taken and made lame like Escape being glorified Seize). Fatigue is my number one thing I'd like to have come back, but Escape, permanent status effects, Rewarp, condition based gaidens (admittedly we did get these for two more games, idk why they got rid of them), having a large number of prfs for incidental side characters, scrolls, these are all things I would love to bring back.

Oh, and I kind of want movement growth back even though it's ridiculous and shouldn't exist.

Yes, Thracia did a ton of cool stuff mechanically. Movement stars can fuck off though

I heard you wanted permanent status effects?

L95

I've mostly cleared a map in Thracia for Lief to get put to sleep by the boss and I didn't have any restore because I am a fool

Lunar15

Finally got to Chapter 25 after countless interruptions.

Boy, sure are a lot of ninjas here, huh? Yikes. I'm even having trouble on the first set of enemies.

CazTGG

...They should bring back Fatigue >:)

Hell no. There's a reason why they abandoned that and the style of Fog of War employed in that game...along with half or more of the ideas in that entry: Unintentional or not, it made the game more frustrating than it should have been and punished people for having dedicated units in what was already a pretty tough game, even with Elite Mode turned on, assuming one knows about it to begin with. Moreover, it would suffer the same issue with the reintroducing the capture mechanic from 776 into Fates: Implementation within the new Fire Emblem's game design. With the ability to grind, DLC and so on, all the fatigue system would be is a pointless, if not, irritating inclusion that prevents people from having their favorite units on a given map, doubly so if it's one with a significant difficulty spike which 776 had plenty of.

L95

Hell no. There's a reason why they abandoned that and the style of Fog of War employed in that game...along with half or more of the ideas in that entry: Unintentional or not, it made the game more frustrating than it should have been and punished people for having dedicated units in what was already a pretty tough game, even with Elite Mode turned on, assuming one knows about it to begin with. Moreover, it would suffer the same issue with the reintroducing the capture mechanic from 776 into Fates: Implementation within the new Fire Emblem's game design. With the ability to grind, DLC and so on, all the fatigue system would be is a pointless, if not, irritating inclusion that prevents people from having their favorite units on a given map, doubly so if it's one with a significant difficulty spike which 776 had plenty of.

That just means you should stop having favorite units >:)

Fatigue is great, it's not hard to manage at all and discourages low manning. Enemies aren't particularly threatening and it's easy to switch between dominant combat units if one needs a break (which is very rare). Forcing you to have a variety of staffers is also great since they're the ones who suffer from it the most. Thracia is already pretty Juggernaut-resistant since great combat isn't necessarily rare or helpful, and in a game where Dagdar can ORKO enemies at base in endgame, it's not that important.

They abandoned a lot of Thracia's ideas because they were trimming the mechanical depth with Kaga leaving and sort of having a soft reset, I'd still say that FE6 is still a lot like Thracia in a lot of ways. There's a lot of bullshit in Thracia between heal staves missing, FoW w/ Sleep before Restore, and move stars, but Fatigue is a really transparent mechanic and makes planning around it interesting and fun.

Capture isn't even remotely the same in this game aside from the name, though Thracia's Capture wouldn't work in any FE other than it because it relies on the fact that the player will never be given gold at any point.

PK Gaming

Fatigue could work with some tweaking ie. the unit is still usable but with some stat penalties (since some maps would be obnoxious without access to certain units) but I don't think it's really necessary. Conquest has some of the best design in FE while also allowing for a ton of freedom and flexibility, and I'd like for the series to continue in that direction. Guard Stance system is the only thing that really needs changing, imo.

Azuran

Banned
Just finished Revelation 25 and I'm still miraculously enjoying the story. At this point I'm just going to have to start accepting that I legitimately like it for some reason.

I finally made it to the last chapter of Conquest but my 3DS died and I have to recharge it now. Man I'm so nervous about this one since it didn't let me save you have to fight two paired enemies for the last boss.

champloo

I finally made it to the last chapter of Conquest but my 3DS died and I have to recharge it now. Man I'm so nervous about this one since it didn't let me save you have to fight two paired enemies for the last boss.

They are paired but one of them is actually a replica. So they share the hit points.

Shinypogs

FFS Odin can you stop missing even when you have a decent hitrate. Thus far the most use he has been was as a pairup partner for niles in their join chapter thus making niles nearly invincible to the mages on the map. I just want his damn daughter with elise but he is gonna make me work for it by god.

PK Gaming

Maybe it's not an issue on Lunatic, lol, I was a scrub on Hard. Juggernauts are a problem but I think they can be mitigated in much better ways than just making units ignore them, which is especially problematic since they won't ignore a unit they can scratch but effectively leave untouched. In Hard it was a gigantic pain in the ass that Xander would just get ignored on a large number of enemy phases and playing around it didn't make things interesting, just boring and frustrating, especially since it's different than AI behavior before. I mean, Ryoma never has this issue because he can be hurt, but I would say that he is a much, much more problematic super unit, it's just that he "can" take damage but won't because of Vantage/Astra/Guard Stance/dodgetanking.

Better ways to mitigate this is by diverse enemy compositions with mixing a large amount of magic and physical damage and adding effective weaponry often enough, or by making enemy density thick enough that you can't just have 1-2 juggernauts handle everything. FE6 does this really well with diverse threatening enemies (Wyvern Lords are threatening to basically anyone, plenty of status staves/siege tomes) and using the siege objective to the best the series has ever done. If side objectives are also worthwhile, it can demand that the player be forced to use multiple strong units instead of relying on one juggernaut to power through everything. The tradeoff to this in FE6 is that unit balance is awful, but even a stupidly OP Milady and Perceval weren't enough to just steamroll my way mindlessly through the lategame and I had to use many more units that weren't as ridiculous (Shin, Cecillia, Fir (>.>), Rutger, Tate and her sister, Niime, Saul) to do a lot because Milady and Perceval couldn't do everything at once or handle every situation.

I do like how it incentivizes you to use weaker units, and it creates this sense of urgency where you can't clear enemies enough in time (especially when reinforcements show up) and I also like how the A.I can't be "gamed" like before. But I can see how that would be a problem where it just becomes a slog. At the very least, it stops being as much of an issue in the final stretch of the game, because even Xander should be taken at least 1 damage at that point.

Conquest Lunatic has been really interesting because it takes more than just a Juggernaut to clear a map. There are these overt hurdles you need to overcome per map (like in Fuga's Wild Ride, Hayato's got a hexing rod smack dab in the map, you need to be creative in the earlygame chapters, etc). Unit positioning in general is more important and even Xander/Corrin are taking noticeable damage from stronger units, so you can't throw them at enemies and hope for victory. Conquest also does a decent job of mixing units types in the later game (Chapter 20's got Onmyouji interspersed throughout and Chapter 22's right side is filled with Onmyouji you can't rely on Xander to stomp that side). Even the Juggernaut units themselves come with their pros and cons here. Camilla's incredible but she lacks 1-2 range and doesn't have super durability. Xander is vulnerable on the magic side. Leo is vulnerable on the physical side, and so on. Though Levin!Sword Corrin + Jakob support is as close as you can get to an all around amazing unit, haha.

It's been really fun to work through it in general though, and it's definitely my favorite FE experience so far. It's really close to being "the" FE experience, at least on the gameplay side.

Does anyone else find the Birthright children paralogues to be harder than the Nohr children? I tried Asugi's yesterday and Shiro's today, can't get very far in either one.

Does anyone else find the Birthright children paralogues to be harder than the Nohr children? I tried Asugi's yesterday and Shiro's today, can't get very far in either one.

Nah it's just you, you have so much time to reach the boss in Asugi's paralogue and Shiro's just requires Rescue staves on turn 1.

Hey guys just beat chapter 4 where you meat the ninja chick and save the guy on the unicorn from the orges. Feels good bro. I feel like there is too much story and dialogue tho. I don't wnt waifu

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys just beat chapter 4 where you meat the ninja chick and save the guy on the unicorn from the orges. Feels good bro. I feel like there is too much story and dialogue tho. I don't wnt waifu

I only played Conquest but IMO you can skip all the dialogue and not miss anything in that one, at least. I didn't even bother reading it or watching thr cutscenes for the last few chapters.

I only played Conquest but IMO you can skip all the dialogue and not miss anything in that one, at least. I didn't even bother reading it or watching thr cutscenes for the last few chapters.

Is it possible to play without doing any of thr waifu stuff wit marriages and babies and shit? Or am I going to be handicapped by not doing it?

Is it possible to play without doing any of thr waifu stuff wit marriages and babies and shit? Or am I going to be handicapped by not doing it?
You'll miss out on characters and maps, so there's some EXP lost there. You should be able to go through the main story just fine without getting any kids though.

Endgame Conquest is brutal, I can make it the first wave against the heros and magic users but those damn Knights and Malig knights always get every time since one of them has a tomb on them and Effie can't take that out. Not to mention theres also Master Ninjas and Faceless behind me.

Azuran

Banned
Endgame Conquest is brutal, I can make it the first wave against the heros and magic users but those damn Knights and Malig knights always get every time since one of them has a tomb on them and Effie can't take that out. Not to mention theres also Master Ninjas and Faceless behind me.

Freeze and entrap staves help a lot in keeping incoming enemies in check if you're getting overwhelmed. The goal should always be to be as aggressive as possible and run straight to the final boss. If the Faceless catch up with you, then you weren't fast enough.

Freeze and entrap staves help a lot in keeping incoming enemies in check if you're getting overwhelmed. The goal should always be to be as aggressive as possible and run straight to the final boss. If the Faceless catch up with you, then you weren't fast enough.

Problem is that I ran out of Freeze and entrap staves in the previous chapters and I can't buy any more for some reason. If I try to rush my way through the enemies gang up on me and kill my teammates quick. I did try to fight wait them out for it but the damn Malig knights keep screwing me up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I baited the malig knights with the knights and ninjas. So all that was left was the Palidins with Dark Knights/Bow Knights. Attacked them in a way that blocked them from getting to my weaker units and just generally survive. Then on the next turn kill the boss.

sulik

So Gamestop just sent me a new special edition, since the first one I got was somewhat crushed. Pretty cool of them, but this one is even more crushed than the first one.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I want to make a thread to see if there is a majority on Gaf that had their first FE as Awakening and love it while hating Fates, but Europe should weigh in too I guess. The dumbest complaint from such a person I've read was that the characters were all 1-dimensional, like fuck, what was Awakening then?

Azuran

Banned
I want to make a thread to see if there is a majority on Gaf that had their first FE as Awakening and love it while hating Fates, but Europe should weigh in too I guess. The dumbest complaint from such a person I've read was that the characters were all 1-dimensional, like fuck, what was Awakening then?

I honestly don't see how someone can love Awakening but completely hate Fates. This game pretty much does everything better that's not subjective.

Draxal

I honestly don't see how someone can love Awakening but completely hate Fates. This game pretty much does everything better that's not subjective.

Chars/Story, obviously that's subjective (especially characters); but oof conquest and revs stories are bad and longwinded, awakenings was thin, but stuff like dimensional baby gates ...

Alot of fire Emblem fans also suffer the first fire emblem I played is the best and that's how all fire Emblem should be symptoms as well.

FE4 and Sigurd forever!

Lynx_7

Story and characters are subjective. While I do at least like Conquest's characters a bit more than Awakening's (which I'm fond of), the latter had a better plot imo. While many will argue it's too generic or whatever, at least it was well executed and presented and kept me interested all the way through. Conquest had some good individual moments but most of them were unfortunately sabotaged by too many contrivances and shoddy character motivations. Gameplay and design in general are infinitely superior and there's no arguing that, though. Hell, it's maybe my favorite SRPG in general as far as that's concerned.

I can't speak for Birthright yet since I'm currently taking a break from it. Maybe that one has a better story than Awakening. Revelations I have no idea when I'll even play it considering I'll probably be too exhausted of FE for a third go (besides, there are other games within the franchise which I'm currently more interested in trying/revisiting).

Moonlight

Banned
Alot of fire Emblem fans also suffer the first fire emblem I played is the best and that's how all fire Emblem should be symptoms as well.

FE4 and Sigurd forever!
what are you talking about, there's no such thing

i mean how can anyone ignore the fact fire emblem 7 is absolutely the greatest srpg ever made and that lyn by extension is the best lord ever

My first Fire Emblem was Sacred Stones. It's the bestest Fire Emblem of all the times because all the women were Strength-screwed and would lose their minor Speed advantage over the men and then some for trying to pick up anything heavier than a frying pan thanks to their poor Constitution, making them absolutely terrible by endgame when they can't damage anything with a Defense stat.

Shoutout to even betterest Fire Emblem Blazing Sword's Lyn who zero-damaged the final fucking boss with a weapon designed to kill the final fucking boss.

...I don't think I'm doing this right.

Top Bottom