• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Hey guys! Trying to go in mostly blind, I've restarted birthright twice so far:

First time was Hard/Classic. Got to chapter 12, Azura was dead. I'd lost Rinka during the prologue and she came back so figured she was important enough to not actually die. Whoops!

Second time i did Normal/Classic. Jesus Christ this is a boring option. I got further but at what cost? There's like half as many enemies, they have no skills and while it was a good way to probe the game I could already see myself dropping the game.

So finally i'm doing it on hard again. Damn chapter 7, you hard. I'm Str/Clumsy, Mercenary because the Hero armor is oh so cool looking in this game(played with seals on my normal playthrough). I have a couple of questions:

1) At what level does Azura stop learning skills in her base class

2) What does paring up actually do this time? Is it just for stat boosts? I don't notice very much blocking going on this time around.

Hey guys! Trying to go in mostly blind, I've restarted birthright twice so far:

First time was Hard/Classic. Got to chapter 12, Azura was dead. I'd lost Rinka during the prologue and she came back so figured she was important enough to not actually die. Whoops!

Second time i did Normal/Classic. Jesus Christ this is a boring option. I got further but at what cost? There's like half as many enemies, they have no skills and while it was a good way to probe the game I could already see myself dropping the game.

So finally i'm doing it on hard again. Damn chapter 7, you hard. I'm Str/Clumsy, Mercenary because the Hero armor is oh so cool looking in this game(played with seals on my normal playthrough). I have a couple of questions:

1) At what level does Azura stop learning skills in her base class

2) What does paring up actually do this time? Is it just for stat boosts? I don't notice very much blocking going on this time around.

1) level 35 I think

2) Block Dual strikes and slight stat boost

Other than the theme, which has inexplicably drawn powerful emotions from me ever since I first heard it, this is probably my favorite Fire Emblem theme. Also, all of the pre-Awakening recruitment themes are fantastic. Thracia's in particular just hits this heavy mood of like, resolve in the face of despair that I love.

8m894RN.gif

Please clap remember me.

But TBH I do put him to use by getting him to work with supporting Mozu.
That's actually what I use him for in Conquest lol, but I don't need that in Birthright.

Draxal

Other than the theme, which has inexplicably drawn powerful emotions from me ever since I first heard it, this is probably my favorite Fire Emblem theme. Also, all of the pre-Awakening recruitment themes are fantastic. Thracia's in particular just hits this heavy mood of like, resolve in the face of despair that I love.

Chapter 2's (Uprising in Agustria)'s my favorite, always loved that song.

Always loved Ephraim's gaiden song in Sacred Stones as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-uJVBnBtwI

Lombax

Banned
Evening GAF.

Quick question. I enjoy playing as tanks in RPGs. What is the best Tanking class in Birthright?

thank you.

Evening GAF.

Quick question. I enjoy playing as tanks in RPGs. What is the best Tanking class in Birthright?

thank you.
In theory it's the Knight class, but they have issues actually tanking because their poor movement means that, unless you move your army at their pace, they won't really be doing much actual tanking. They also have the potential to take more damage because their poor speed means they're liable to be double attacked.

Great Knight (which is a promotion option of the Cavalier and Knight options, but I'd suggest going Cavalier over Knight) and Wyvern Lord are probably the most effective at being tanky and actually doing tanking.

Edit: While you can select these for your avatar's reclass option at the beginning of the game, the only Cavalier you can get in Birthright is Silas (though you can reclass the butler Jakob to Great Knight, you won't get him for a long time if you play as a dude though) and the only Wyvern unit is Scarlet.

Moonlight

Banned
That's the one with all the jars, right? I think the reinforcements show up once you get far enough north in the map.

They will usually come after killing a certain amount of enemies or after moving to a certain position to the map. The best advice would be to go through the right side and having the other half or third of your team fending off the archers. Your enemies will not break pots so you can use that to limit the amount of attacks they deal to a single enemy.
Okay, good to know! Was growing fearful there were invisible rolls going on in the background or something. I can play around this. Thanks!

WVW69i7kEXQxw01Occ

Let's GO.
Best hair + colour combo.

Shun

Evening GAF.

thank you.

The main character. Or Great Knight/Paladin. Or Camilla. In Birthright. Main character and Silas. And Scarlet.

Knight can tank but it is so offensively hindered by speed and lack of movement that other options are much better.

You can also "tank" with Vantage and Sword/Magic users so long as you are under 1/2 HP. Once you're under 1/2 HP and you do a lot of damage or reliably critical, that's much better than any tank you need.

Lunar15

I'm outrageously bad at this game lol.

Haven't been able to play much, got to level 9 Conquest. Restarted a bunch on my way to the boss, finally got to him, but he killed corrin. I still can't remember to be aware of attack stance and defense stance.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Probably been asking a dozen times so sorry, is there a good reference for boons and talents. Looking for a little more than is in the OP. Hate that they make you choose the talent from the get go.

Anustart

I'm up in my castle looking at weapons and I'm clueless. Don't know what's better than what :( seems most of em disable skills, not that I know any skills tho.

Draxal

Haven't been able to play much, got to level 9 Conquest. Restarted a bunch on my way to the boss, finally got to him, but he killed corrin. I still can't remember to be aware of attack stance and defense stance.

Join the club, I find new ways to be bad at this game.

Moonlight

Banned

It honestly makes me feel better to hear about other veterans having trouble because I am also awful at the game right now, lol.

Made it to the end of the chapter, but lost a soldier because i didn't realize there was an enemy in attack range to my bow user. God damn it, those are the absolute worst kind of deaths!

Times like these where I wish I just set it to casual ._.

I actually found that the non-reinforcement enemies only seem to charge you if you play too defensively. If you consistently advance across the map, the enemies will wait until you lure them out.

That chapter was strange because I sent Jakob in a tile where he should've lured one of them, but they didn't take the bait. I also heavily limited using Reina that chapter since I didn't want her soaking up all of the EXP. I also wanted to level Setsuna, who was level 4 when I started IIRC. I neglected to bring Takumi, so a lot of my killing options were really limited.

All in all, while I slowly advanced and took forever that map, I got some great growths, so I count that as a plus. I'm trying to limit myself from using challenges.

Yo okay I've got a question for my Conquest run that I'm doing now. Who is a good wife for Silas? I haven't picked anyone for F!Corrin yet so that's a possibility but I'm not sure a +Str Corrin is really going to be that helpful for him and it also seems like a potential waste of their strengths. I was thinking Selena might be good but I'm also considering her for Xander and Laslow, the former because Xander looooves speed and the latter because it was my favorite Awakening ship. Any thoughts?

Draxal

Yo okay I've got a question for my Conquest run that I'm doing now. Who is a good wife for Silas? I haven't picked anyone for F!Corrin yet so that's a possibility but I'm not sure a +Str Corrin is really going to be that helpful for him and it also seems like a potential waste of their strengths. I was thinking Selena might be good but I'm also considering her for Xander and Laslow, the former because Xander looooves speed and the latter because it was my favorite Awakening ship. Any thoughts?

Xander wants Berserker Charlotte, he's becomes insanely strong with that. Selena is recommended for him in Shep's guide.

Rutger

Banned
Conquest Chapter 10, turn 10 enemy phase.
Selena failed to dodge a single attack and died...
In retrospect, I shouldn't have weakened the first guy on player phase, I had a good enough wall set up so she wouldn't have been attacked as much.

Damn is it painful to see that all the main threats were gone and I would have been able to survive that last turn, but the lord is not special, I have to go for it again.

Flandy

I've got a friend who really wants to play as female corrin but also wants to see Azuras romance. Could she just look it up and youtube and not miss anything? Is the dialogue up to A+ rank the same? Telling her she should just rank up to that and then watch S on youtube lol

I've got a friend who really wants to play as female corrin but also wants to see Azuras romance. Could she just look it up and youtube and not miss anything? Is the dialogue up to A+ rank the same? Telling her she should just rank up to that and then watch S on youtube lol

Describing the S supports as a "romance" is stretching the definition a bit. You can't have a romantic support with Azura if you're playing a female avatar, as expected, but she wouldn't miss anything by just watching it on youtube.

Chase17

Was about 40 minutes into birthright chapter 16. Was a fool and let Corrin get destroyed by a magic attack. Don't have the time to try again tonight.

Only getting through about a chapter a night. Hopefully I can make some significant progress this weekend (which may not happen if I get too caught up with the Pokémon VC games).

Conquest is going to be brutal for me.

Miker

My avatar has attack boon and defense bane and has a RES stat of 3 at level 15 lol. Drives me crazy. :\

:( He also has a luck of 11, which is his bane. Something must've gone terribly wrong in the RNG. I'm wondering if I didn't accidentally choose speed as my bane, but that doesn't sound right.

I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't a character that I bring along every chapter. He's gonna start getting doubled by enemy units sooner than later. I think I would take your res of 3 over my speed.

Flandy

Describing the S supports as a "romance" is stretching the definition a bit. You can't have a romantic support with Azura if you're playing a female avatar, as expected, but she wouldn't miss anything by just watching it on youtube.

Yeah she got up to chapter 6 and is considering restarting as Male to see her romance but she'd also rather not play as Male. So does romance not start until S rank then? Wouldn't miss much by just looking at it on youtube?

Jims

Oh, Kaden. Why do you get 40%'d three times in a row? And could you please stop killing everything that attacks you, so others can tank a few hits? Thanks, buddy.

This game gives me some serious Radiant Dawn vibes, in a good way. The Hoshido crew reminds me a lot of the Dawn Brigade, in terms of the squishy units it gives you, as well as what it seems like you're up against. I admit, there's a part of me that feels like Intelligent System is trying to have their cake and eat it, regarding the Hoshido/Nohr drama. Because they want to hype, "YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE A SIDE" with the story decision... But every time I meet up with the Nohr characters, I give them a nice scientific little bump on the head, and they go on their way. Having to defeat Camilla should mean something.

I don't necessarily think they have to go the complete opposite direction and force your team to murder your previous family. There just doesn't seem to be any stakes or consequences to the decision Corrin has made so far. Maybe things change later? Seems like they're treating the problem with kid gloves so far.

Yeah she got up to chapter 6 and is considering restarting as Male to see her romance but she'd also rather not play as Male. So does romance not start until S rank then? Wouldn't miss much by just looking at it on youtube?

Granted I'm playing female as well, but I've paired up every single unit in my army and the supports are not very good. It's not romance like WRPGs or stuff like that where the story changes and all that jazz, it's just literally a handful of lines and stat bonuses. Can't say for certain but I highly doubt you'd miss much by just youtubing or reading a transcript.

Whew I just got my ass handed to me on Conquest chapter 24. After more than an hour and a half I lost Niles and Shigure. I defeated the boss
Hinoka
already and all I needed to do was seize, but I didn't have anyone close enough to do it and the mass reinforcements that spawned as soon as I approached the boss took Niles and Shigure down.

RESET

Bleh, I think that's it for me tonight. I probably won't try to rush next time.

Granted I'm playing female as well, but I've paired up every single unit in my army and the supports are not very good. It's not romance like WRPGs or stuff like that where the story changes and all that jazz, it's just literally a handful of lines and stat bonuses. Can't say for certain but I highly doubt you'd miss much by just youtubing or reading a transcript.
The romance in FE is of almost no storytelling value. The fun is all in the eugenics of planning out optimal children.

Lunar15

This game's soundtrack is so phenomenal that it's made me want to go back and listen to the OST of older games in the series. I remember really liking the music in the first western release FE game, but the GBA sound chip is so grating and hard to listen to.

So I'm soliciting recommendations! What are your favorite game soundtracks from the Fire Emblem series?

Radiant Dawn

The Devoted
On Glory's Wings
Dark Traveler
Divine Healing
Ascent

Path of Radiance

Crimea Attacks
Against the Black Knight
Power Hungry Fool
Change of Scenery
With Us!

Bonus: FE4: Final Holy War Orchestrated

I really love Awakening and Fates' soundtracks though, quite possibly more than the old ones!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The support convos are all (usually) platonic all the way up until A rank. Only the final S rank is guaranteed to get bow-chicka-wow-wow at all. And the ramp up from "i love you" to marriage proposal always happens so quick that you could get whiplash every time.

So yeah, a few minutes minutes on YouTube is going to give her exactly what restarting her game will do for her.

Top Bottom