• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Kiro

I just started Nohr. Chapter 7 was harder than all of Birthright. Took my 6 or so attempts, that damn poison skill.

Rutger

Banned
I've been spending more time on Lunatic Conquest Chapter 10 than I'd like to admit, it's lived up to its reputation.
On my most recent run I decided to experiment a bit and managed to defeat two of the Birthright characters before the boss did his thing. Camilla died the next enemy phase, but things were feeling a little more manageable. Time to rework my strategy again, haha.

This is a great map though, I can't think of many times I've struggled this much in the series. Going into Lunatic blind certainly isn't helping, I could have done some things differently beforehand that could have helped, oh well. I'll just have to keep at it.

Birthright beaten!

Ryoma basically solo'd the last chapter. Holy shit is he brokenly OP.

I'm surprised they killed off Elise. Xander I saw coming, but sweet little Elise? Such is the darkness of war, and I'm actually glad they went through with that. Lilith, Flora, and Azura too... damn. Gunter never came back either, and Kaze very nearly bit the bullet. This FE didn't pull any punches.

People say the story sucks, but I don't think it does. It's not the BEST FE story, but it's a step up from Awakening and Sacred Stones (which are at the bottom of the narrative pile). It's a fairly cliche story about overthrowing an evil king with some extra family drama added in via the Nohr siblings, and it works well enough for what it's trying to do. The locations, maps, and general atmosphere were fantastic, by far the best in any Fire Emblem game, both aesthetically and mechanically. The Ice Tribe village stands out as the most beautiful map in the series, and the Nohrian cities all have this very unique nightlife atmosphere to them. Both Hoshido and Nohr were very different from the norm, and on a purely visual level very different from most standard RPGs with a very strong focus on color (white and red for Hoshido, black and purple for Nohr) that is carried throughout the entire game.

Overall, I'd put Fates just below Path of Radiance for the best FE game. I very much enjoyed my time with it and
now am going to undub the game and play through it again as a female until my next paycheck comes in and I can move onto Conquest.
I agree about it not being bad...
I just think its draw out far to long for the short story its telling, was expecting some kind of plot twist but there really wasn't one. I do wish that the stakes started sooner... Like you fight Camillia twice and neither time she as so much gets wounded? Then all of a sudden in hte last like 3 chapters there are suddenly plot related deaths, it just felt a bit surreal after having so many fights with the rest of Nohr siblings and they don't amount to anything.

ChrisD

Turn 17, Chapter 11 is down! Was smooth sailing for all but the last two turns which were total nail-biters. Seven Units I managed to kind of uuuhh forget about all flew down from the top-left. Both Sakura and Azura were in the middle of the rush. I started moving people, transferring, Pairing Up, it was insane. :|

Ok, Hoshido/11 had me playing extra safe and took me about 18 turns and 2.5 (!) hours. I just didn't want to get killed by that Killer Lance that the boss had. That, and I decided to keep Takumi benched so that Setsuna could level up a bit. I probably could've lessened the amount of time it took to complete it if I brought him. I also didn't want Reina to hog the exp too much. Ah well.

How long did it take for you guys to complete Chapter 11 Birthright?

Moonlight

Banned
Chapter 12 Conquest mission spoilers:

What the heck is up with
the reinforcements arriving? What's the trigger? Sometimes they arrive as soon as turn 7, but once they arrived as late as turn 12. It makes a huge difference for how hard this chapter actually is and the fact I still can't tell what the hell is attracting them is kind of annoying me.
Requoting in case anyone has an answer. It's legitimately baffling me.

Shun

Requoting in case anyone has an answer. It's legitimately baffling me.

They will usually come after killing a certain amount of enemies or after moving to a certain position to the map. The best advice would be to go through the right side and having the other half or third of your team fending off the archers. Your enemies will not break pots so you can use that to limit the amount of attacks they deal to a single enemy.

Miker

Ok, Hoshido/11 had me playing extra safe and took me about 18 turns and 2.5 (!) hours. I just didn't want to get killed by that Killer Lance that the boss had. That, and I decided to keep Takumi benched so that Setsuna could level up a bit. I probably could've lessened the amount of time it took to complete it if I brought him. I also didn't want Reina to hog the exp too much. Ah well.

About 45 minutes or so, mostly due to the constant reinforcements. I turtled near the bottom right of the map because the tempest on the left didn't do a lot to keep enemy flyers away.

Taruranto

Conquest 23 done.

After a messy start near the lake, it was actually a smooth sailing despite the ballistas constantly shooting on my guys.
Takumi
was also pretty easy, since Benny is pretty much a rock.

Speacking of Benny, I married him and Azura and they make somehow and OK couple. I'll probably replace Arthur with Azura's child since he's too behind and just can't hit an enemy. Percy completely outclasses him anyway.

OceanBlue

as painful as it can be sometimes, I like having stat growth be fixed upon character join (or whatever the actual conditions are). Not worrying about RNG as much within individual battles because getting screwed is spread out through the entire game.
As far as I've seen, stat growths for characters are fixed on the start of the map. You can't manipulate the RNG to change level ups mid-map but you can restart maps to get better growths.

Did you guys keep Percy as a Wyvern Lord or re-class him to Berserker? I've got Mozu!Percy and he is good, not great, but I keep reading that he's the best child unit. His growths are fantastic but he's lacking a lot of strength. Is that because of the wyvern or his mom?

Ala Alba

Turn 17, Chapter 11 is down! Was smooth sailing for all but the last two turns which were total nail-biters. Seven Units I managed to kind of uuuhh forget about all flew down from the top-left. Both Sakura and Azura were in the middle of the rush. I started moving people, transferring, Pairing Up, it was insane. :|

About 45 minutes or so, mostly due to the constant reinforcements. I turtled near the bottom right of the map because the tempest on the left didn't do a lot to keep enemy flyers away.

I actually found that the non-reinforcement enemies only seem to charge you if you play too defensively. If you consistently advance across the map, the enemies will wait until you lure them out.

Delio

Why did no one tell me Percy was adorable! Totally dragging him with my main fighting team. Dunno if im getting any other kids atm.

Why did no one tell me Percy was adorable! Totally dragging him with my main fighting team. Dunno if im getting any other kids atm.

Percy's great, already paired him up with another kid too.

I like that the kid's S rank boils down to
awkward friendship with hints of romance

As someone who was all about #TeamNohr leading up to the game coming out, having just gotten really attached to all the Hoshido characters has made picking Conquest this time around kind of a super bummer.

Been enjoying Conquest on normal/classic, which still is challenging and I've had several retries on some of the more infamous stages. Up to stage 17 or 18. Arthur and Effie remain great, the former being especially entertaining and the latter dominates in battle. With the charactr roster generally restored it seems time to see who to hook up with who and finally trigger some S-supports, including for my avatar. Could use some Paralogues for exp/support.

Ready to go with favorites Effie, Beruka, Selena, Nyx each with one of Avatar and bros Arthur, Keaton, Silas, maybe Xander. But then not all are yet available to each given limited support building (unless one constantly replays that no-experience free DLC). I'm just going by perceived nice match, not by stat spreadsheets.

Looking forward to going right into Revelations after this.

I was starting to get some weird anxiety once I started getting more and more characters, but it's gone now that's I've decided that garbage characters like Silas can go fuck themselves, even if they have children. You can stay under leveled, I'm not gonna worry about keeping you viable.

diaspora

I just married my first two characters and got the
hyperbolic baby dimension
story. It's the same as the original i read about a few months back. If there was anything that needed a full top-to-bottom re-write it was this.

pariah164

WVW69i7kEXQxw01Occ

Let's GO.

Draxal

I was starting to get some weird anxiety once I started getting more and more characters, but it's gone now that's I've decided that garbage characters like Silas can go fuck themselves, even if they have children. You can stay under leveled, I'm not gonna worry about keeping you viable.

Silas is one of the best chars in the game (really great class).

Im starting to enjoy Felicias nervousness. Everytime she talks its hilarious.

I have B support with her though. Shes cool but I dont wanna S support her.

Cindro

This game's soundtrack is so phenomenal that it's made me want to go back and listen to the OST of older games in the series. I remember really liking the music in the first western release FE game, but the GBA sound chip is so grating and hard to listen to.

So I'm soliciting recommendations! What are your favorite game soundtracks from the Fire Emblem series?

Draxal

This game's soundtrack is so phenomenal that it's made me want to go back and listen to the OST of older games in the series. I remember really liking the music in the first western release FE game, but the GBA sound chip is so grating and hard to listen to.

So I'm soliciting recommendations! What are your favorite game soundtracks from the Fire Emblem series?

PoR/RD. I love FE4's soundtrack; but it's incredibly dated now.

Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance. I even bought the soundtrack releases that came out last year

8 discs of phenomenal music

I like the lame choices. My top 2 are the main theme and Victory is Near. I hum them a lot, although Azura's dumb song is super catchy.

diaspora

Silas is one of the best chars in the game (really great class).

Silas is fucking hilarious.
Corrin not remembering him when Silas thought they were best friends slayed me. Even better was when I realized this was with MCorrin, with FCorrin it'd be even funnier. He's nice to Mozu though.
I'm sure he gets better later on, but lol.

Silas is fucking hilarious.
Corrin not remembering him when Silas thought they were best friends slayed me. Even better was when I realized this was with MCorrin, with FCorrin it'd be even funnier. He's nice to Mozu though.
I'm sure he gets better later on, but lol.
He has really cool hair but he's basically the Jeb Bush of my squad. Get out of here Silas, I'll turn into a Paladin myself.

Like always having some trouble with pairings so it is making me not want to start the conquest at all.

Any good eugenics suggestions that doesn't ruin my chance to get all the children?

ChrisD

Don't Speak Her Name and id Purpose from Awakening. Two of my favorite game tracks period.

Top Bottom