• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images from Disney remake of Snow White and the Seven "Dwarves"

She’s not wrong, the original film is shite and doesn’t hold up well. But it’s fun seeing her just not giving a single PR shit and making Disney go
Halloween Omg GIF by Mickey Mouse

I hope she dials it up and starts talking about how Walt was an antisemite who hated work unions or something..

The film looks like hot trash just like every other Disney live action, but trying to attribute some of the stuff I have seen in this thread to it like "woke" agendas or whatever is just crazy to me. I just can't imagine going day to day through my life and being this upset about nonsense like this. Its not even a movie that is out yet. Its just people throwing hissy fits over production photos and backscene stuff with no editing. Get a grip.
I can't imagine getting upset about nonsense either, but here we are! Some people were so upset by Snow White that we're getting a remake that removes all the icky bits. Like seven dwarfs. Or women dreaming of love. Or a prince that saves the girl. Yuck!

"Woke" as a term is nebulous, overused and misused for sure. But I don't think that applies here. The film is obviously super politically correct, just from what was confirmed by Disney themselves or the involved actresses.

Some people take things too far, sure. But this thread is mostly just laughing at a bad remake and how it's mishandled in so many ways.

I'm surprised this thread specifically gets you. You've been around for a long time. I'd imagine you've seen worse on here.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I can't imagine getting upset about nonsense either, but here we are! Some people were so upset by Snow White that we're getting a remake that removes all the icky bits. Like seven dwarfs. Or women dreaming of love. Or a prince that saves the girl. Yuck!

"Woke" as a term is nebulous, overused and misused for sure. But I don't think that applies here. The film is obviously super politically correct, just from what was confirmed by Disney themselves or the involved actresses.

Some people take things too far, sure. But this thread is mostly just laughing at a bad remake and how it's mishandled in so many ways.

I'm surprised this thread specifically gets you. You've been around for a long time. I'd imagine you've seen worse on here.
He just wanted to pop in to tell us how superior he is. I'm surprised it took him this long.

Over the course of my life it has not been not often I feel like I am in an alternate universe from some of the crazies around me, but man it seems to be happening more and more lately.

The film looks like hot trash just like every other Disney live action, but trying to attribute some of the stuff I have seen in this thread to it like "woke" agendas or whatever is just crazy to me. I just can't imagine going day to day through my life and being this upset about nonsense like this. Its not even a movie that is out yet. Its just people throwing hissy fits over production photos and backscene stuff with no editing. Get a grip.

I regularly call out 'outrage' nonsense where people call something even vaguely diverse 'woke'. No, not every poorly written movie is bad because it's 'woke', no not every movie with a black, brown or asian cast has an 'agenda' and no a movie having a gay character does not make it 'woke propaganda'. Those kinds of criticisms are idiotic and get us nowhere.

But man, if there ever was an example where I can say "Yes, this is some woke nonsense", this would be it. I couldn't come up with a more perfect example of politics and idiology interfering with the creation of a movie.

• Snow White, a character from a 19th-century German Brothers Grimm story, described to have "skin as white as snow", portrayed by a latina actress from Colombian/Polish descent.

• The seven white dwarves being replaced by 'diverse magical creatures' as to not offend the 'little people community', whilst actually taking their jobs away.

• The prince being essentially removed from the story, speculated to be possibly entirely cut from the movie, and described by the lead actress as a 'stalker' and a 'creep'.

• The character of Snow White being completely changed to have no interest whatsoever in love or romance, and instead wanting to 'become the leader she knows she can be' (a.k.a. a girl-boss).

• The original film being openly mocked and derided by the lead actress, who said she only saw it once and did not like it whatsoever because it was 'outdated'.

Maybe it's just me, but I say you'd have to be pretty ignorant to witness all of that and say 'trying to attribute some of the stuff I have seen in this thread to it like "woke" agendas or whatever is just crazy to me'.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I regularly call out 'outrage' nonsense where people call something even vaguely diverse 'woke'. No, not every poorly written movie is bad because it's 'woke', no not every movie with a black, brown or asian cast has an 'agenda' and no a movie having a gay character does not make it 'woke propaganda'. Those kinds of criticisms are idiotic and get us nowhere.

But man, if there ever was an example where I can say "Yes, this is some woke nonsense", this would be it. I couldn't come up with a more perfect example of politics and idiology interfering with the creation of a movie.

• Snow White, a character from a 19th-century German Brothers Grimm story, described to have "skin as white as snow", portrayed by a latina actress from Colombian/Polish descent.

• The seven white dwarves being replaced by 'diverse magical creatures' as to not offend the 'little people community', whilst actually taking their jobs away.

• The prince being essentially removed from the story, speculated to be possibly entirely cut from the movie, and described by the lead actress as a 'stalker' and a 'creep'.

• The character of Snow White being completely changed to have no interest whatsoever in love or romance, and instead wanting to 'become the leader she knows she can be' (a.k.a. a girl-boss).

• The original film being openly mocked and derided by the lead actress, who said she only saw it once and did not like it whatsoever because it was 'outdated'.

Maybe it's just me, but I say you'd have to be pretty ignorant to witness all of that and say 'trying to attribute some of the stuff I have seen in this thread to it like "woke" agendas or whatever is just crazy to me'.
The beautiful moment when dwarves/little people are relegated and called "creatures." They just don't see beyond their own fart huffing noses.

TheMan

My main issue with the live action remakes is that animal characters translate terribly. Seeing as how this doesn’t feature animal protagonists this could still turn out ok. I think the question remains though- does the world need or want another Snow White adaptation?

jason10mm

Gold Member

Aren't these things that Kirsten Stewart "Snow White and the Huntsman" film did already? IIRC the huntsman kinda supplants the prince. And granted, if you take the OG tale the prince doesn't really even do anything other than swoon for SW:

"A while later, a handsome prince notices Snow White’s coffin while out hunting. The dwarves tell him her story and permit him to move her body to a grave. On the way, one of the coffin bearers stumbles, causing the bite of poisoned apple to fall out of her mouth. Snow White immediately wakes up. Delighted to see that Snow White is alive, the prince professes his love to her. He proposes, and she agrees to marry him. They invite everyone in the land to their wedding, including the queen."

so its really the PRINCE'S tale that needs updating, to warn young men to look deeper than looks when choosing a mate. Sure, the prince got lucky but most of us get burned. Snow White is really a cautionary tale FOR MEN, not a rousing inspiration to girls that a prince will come save them.

I'm kinda curious for the Disney film, how will they reconcile an equity based system of governorship with Snow Whites "hereditary" claim to the throne? Is Snow White just a common laborer picked on by the jealous elite who then rises up to overthrow the matriarchy? Or is she just a child of privilege herself who benefits from an oppressive system of nepotism to toss out one ruler and installer herself in her place without an election?

Eiknarf

Banned
I remember when they changed the word fat in some old book recently and the word they used was like 10x times more insulting, these people are fucked.
Ohhh yeah! Was that the original novel for Willy Wonka or Charlie and the Choc Factory? Or was it a Dr. Seuss book?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ohhh yeah! Was that the original novel for Willy Wonka or Charlie and the Choc Factory? Or was it a Dr. Seuss book?
Wonka, I believe. They are just burying some Seuss books. Not wholly without reason, mind you, some of the imagery is pretty dated and not really for kids today IMHO, better served for teen/adult level discussions of Seuss.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It was the Wizard of Oz books was it not? That the purple people eaters' thought was offensive, so they rewrote whole paragraphs.

Eiknarf

Banned
It was the Wizard of Oz books was it not? That the purple people eaters' thought was offensive, so they rewrote whole paragraphs.

I remember Wonka. Here:

What has changed?​

Sensitivity readers have combed over the works of Dahl, and smoothed over the edges of a notoriously sharp, spiky author, removing words and adding entire passages; Augustus Gloop is no longer “fat,” he’s “enormous” (still seems kind of mean, but ok), while Mrs Twit from The Twits is no longer “ugly,” just “beastly.”

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember Wonka. Here:

What has changed?​

Sensitivity readers have combed over the works of Dahl, and smoothed over the edges of a notoriously sharp, spiky author, removing words and adding entire passages; Augustus Gloop is no longer “fat,” he’s “enormous” (still seems kind of mean, but ok), while Mrs Twit from The Twits is no longer “ugly,” just “beastly.”
These people are truly retarded, or, they know what they're doing and the people who clap along like seals to these overseers are retarded. Low IQ shit through and through.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I remember when they changed the word fat in some old book recently and the word they used was like 10x times more insulting, these people are fucked.
I think that was one of the Willy Wonka books. But I know what you're talking about.

I find the left wing attitude towards the pushback against this film very hypocritical. People like @Nobody_Important come here to complain about how upset people are about this film and dismissing it all as nonsense.

The fact is that left wing people have been complaining about these exact same things for years which is why we end up with this woke mess. If it doesn't matter what race, gender or sexuality a character has then why do we need so much 'representation'?

If this kind of thing doesn't matter then let's go back to every hero being a straight, white man.
Every gay character can be an effeminate stereotype.
Every Muslim character can be a terrorist.
Every woman can be a busty blonde and be quiet.

Guess what, if that happens then all the progressives will complain.

We all know progressives care about this stuff so when they eye roll at right wing snowflakes they're fooling no one.

Darkmakaimura

I find the left wing attitude towards the pushback against this film very hypocritical. People like @Nobody_Important come here to complain about how upset people are about this film and dismissing it all as nonsense.

The fact is that left wing people have been complaining about these exact same things for years which is why we end up with this woke mess. If it doesn't matter what race, gender or sexuality a character has then why do we need so much 'representation'?

If this kind of thing doesn't matter then let's go back to every hero being a straight, white man.
Every gay character can be an effeminate stereotype.
Every Muslim character can be a terrorist.
Every woman can be a busty blonde and be quiet.

Guess what, if that happens then all the progressives will complain.

We all know progressives care about this stuff so when they eye roll at right wing snowflakes they're fooling no one.
I'm a weird looking, basically ugly Jewish person. I'm skinny with buck teeth and a fro.

I don't need representation. I don't want representation. I want to play male characters that look different than me.

Why must everyone need representation?

Darkmakaimura

You got yours, why you complaining??

Z6czhk7.jpg
Take away the glasses, make his hair darker and give him a little bit more hair and make his nose bigger and that's pretty much me.

I'm even as anxiety written and neurotic as he is.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Delayed a year, probably hoping the shitstorm has passed by then

Disneys-Snow-White-H-2023.jpg

Add a Brazzers logo to this
Wait is that picture real?

So did the King Dwarf, Peter Hayden Dinklage, prevent actual little people from working on a film even if they were acting as stand-ins for CGI, just because they're little people?

How fucking mean can you be? What a complete asshole.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Right, but they were originally going to be "magical creatures" rather than dwarves, whatever that meant. Now it's clear they're changing it to be closer to the original.
The guy spent weeks spreading that bogus image in the OT and now has to make up a story so he doesn’t lose all the followers he gained.

Wait is that picture real?

So did the King Dwarf, Peter Hayden Dinklage, prevent actual little people from working on a film even if they were acting as stand-ins for CGI, just because they're little people?

How fucking mean can you be? What a complete asshole.

He pulled up the very short ladder after his own climb to the top, no more easy roles for them to get a foot in the door anymore.

Last edited:

DanteFox

The guy spent weeks spreading that bogus image in the OT and now has to make up a story so he doesn’t lose all the followers he gained.
I have some bad news for you bro.... the images were real.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You have evidence/proof that he is lying? If so, provide such. We seem to have evidence that disprove your previous claims that earlier photos were fake from Disney themselves.
It was posted in this thread. They were always going to be CG and they were casting voice actors:
Instead of dwarfs, Disney will fill the void with a group of what they describe as “magical creatures,” according to casting sheets that TheWrap has seen. (They are currently looking for voice actors to give these creatures personality.)

bitbydeath

You think it won’t be delayed?
Because delays means it’s going to undergo changes from what they previously came up with. They might closer align to the source material now and have the prince be more prominent in it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You think it won’t be delayed?
Because delays means it’s going to undergo changes from what they previously came up with. They might closer align to the source material now and have the prince be more prominent in it.
All studios are delaying their 2024 movies to 2025 due to the strikes.

Mission Impossible, Deadpool 3, this. If the SAG strike doesn’t end soon Captain America 4 is the next to get delayed.

Toons

Very glad I held my tongue initially.

The early outrage seems very goofy now. Even if you dont wanna see this I don't see whats so objectionable about that image.

Also, Dinklage does NOT look good in hindsight.

Top Bottom