• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images from Disney remake of Snow White and the Seven "Dwarves"

just gonna leave this here

They would easily, easily get away with these types of big changes much more if they had really good comedic writers and turned this movie into something like Princess Bride. Instead they choose to upset certain audiences who don't want these types of changes, every single time, with inconsistent quality between movies.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just add add a bit of digital aging to Rachel Zegler's face in the movie and she'd be the perfect evil queen.

Dexero

Here is her description from the original fairy tale.

The Brothers Grimm: Grimms' Fairy Tales
And so the little girl really did grow up; her skin was as white as snow, her cheeks as rosy as the blood, and her hair as black as ebony; and she was called Snowdrop.

I'm upset they changed the name.
Snowdrop is a translation mistake

Her name in german is

Schneewittchen​

Which translates to « white as snow » or… snow white.

Snowdrop never made sense anyway.

Salz01

I don’t understand the comment about 1930’s and it shows…. I mean lots of people like Snow White. It’s pretty simple and harmless. Most probably watch it for the dwarves anyways. Disney in its current state deserves the state its in. Hiring insufferable people…

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Snowdrop is a translation mistake

Her name in german is

Schneewittchen​

Which translates to « white as snow » or… snow white.

Snowdrop never made sense anyway.
Probably should stick with the original German for the new movie.

Jsisto

Can’t wait for the new ending where the prince is based and respects snow whites personal boundaries and chooses to hang with the boys instead of pursuing her. So she dies, but she low key dies like a true girl boss. No cap.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Amidst the lush greenery of Verdant Hollow, Snow White shared her days with the seven dwarfs. While they unearthed gems, she seemed to be living a life of innocent solitude, often seen singing with birds or dancing with forest creatures. Her life appeared to be the epitome of fairy tale simplicity, a beacon of purity in a world of complexity.

Rumors of Snow White's beauty and apparent innocence reached the corners of the kingdom. Prince Charming, spellbound by these tales, ventured to Verdant Hollow, hoping to woo Snow White and offer her a life of royalty. As he approached the cottage, he imagined a life with the maiden, filled with love, laughter, and the joy of shared simplicity.

Arriving at her abode, he was met with a sight he hadn't expected. Snow White sat leisurely, counting a pile of gold coins. Her demeanor was not of the docile maiden he'd heard about, but of a woman in command.

"Snow White," began Prince Charming, "I've journeyed far to witness your beauty and offer you true love."

Snow White looked up, a smirk playing on her lips. "True love? Such fairy tales are passé. What use do I have for such fleeting emotions?"

Just as the Prince was about to profess his sincerity, Dopey, in his characteristic clumsy manner, stumbled in, dropping a tablet. As it landed face up, a splash screen blared in neon: "Snow White's Exclusive Content." Glimpses of explicit images, provocative poses, and lurid captions flashed before the Prince's horrified eyes. The maiden of the forest wasn't just a modern woman; she was audaciously embracing the digital age's underbelly with an OnlyFans page.

“This," she said with a sly grin, picking up the tablet and letting the screen's garish light play on her face, "is the new age, Prince. Where intimacy is commodified and affection is but a transaction. Men, like you, think they can buy affection, attention, even love. But you're only useful for one thing: monthly subscription payments. This platform," she waved the tablet for emphasis, "has more princes than you can fathom, each clamoring for attention, each thinking a few coins can buy them a piece of someone's soul."

She leaned closer, her voice dropping to a chilling whisper. "In your fairy tales, men saved women. But now, we don't need saving, not by the likes of you. Your chivalry, your proclamations of love – they’re obsolete, relics of a time gone by. In this world, love is a currency we no longer value. It's been replaced by likes, shares, and digital coins. What's a prince in the face of that?"

Snow White leaned back, letting the weight of her words settle, "Love? An outdated concept, Prince. But loneliness? That's the booming business of this age. And business," she smirked, "is good."

Prince Charming, his vision of romance and love shattered, retreated slowly, the weight of her words pressing down on him. The once-bold prince slinked away, a shadow of the man who had entered Verdant Hollow, forever changed by Snow White's dark revelation.

ItsGreat

I am gutted for the actor playing a Dwarf at the back. He was in loads of great Carling beer ads here in the UK. And also had a small part in Micro Men the story of the Sinclair Spectrum.

Imagine getting signed up for a Disney film and getting caught up in this mess. Rather than getting your mug seen for the right career building reasons.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just add add a bit of digital aging to Rachel Zegler's face in the movie and she'd be the perfect evil queen.
MPLG41A.jpg

What if she IS the evil one and Gal as the supplanted queen has to go on an adventure of redemption?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
..... no, she's not. Theres a strike going on, so she isn't even supposed to be advertising

That footage was from Sep 2022 but has only recently gotten attention.

Last edited:

Toons

I thought Disney was tired of losing money? It's not too late to suck this thing up the abortion vacuum.

Disney doesn't make most of their money off of their movies.

Most of the folks fighting this culture war against them haven't realized that yet.

In 22, only 6% of their revenue was films. The movies are commercials.

Disney makes money off of merchandise, ad revenue and parks.

Walk around and see how many kids you see with something marvel, something Mickey, or something mandalorian on them. You'll realize quickly how this works for them. Who makes them more money, a 30 year old who takes his gd to see an MCU movie twice a year, ot the 45 year old with three kids who bought them all spider man backpacks, a Disney plus subscription, and some elsa dolls?

Hoping their movies fail is going to accomplish very little, for one because most of them won't, and for two because the ones that do will ultimately only hurt them in an immediate sense. Even this film, and all the remakes, are commercials for an IP they've been milking for decades. They appropriated a German folklore, made it into an ip in the 40s, and you can STILL buy merch based on it. The remakes reignite talk of the brand that they benefit from.

Some will buy merch of the original in protest, some will reminidce about how good that one was, more will talk about it regardless... Disney wins either way lol, its their movie both times. Disney has set themselves up to be virtually too big to fail, and 90% of the individuals who don't enjoy what they've been doing lately will still give them money somehow by purchasing something else they own.

All they are doing is widening their market to the modern age, folks who have no overlap with the generation X and Y that are more fond of their older more "traditional" content. But either which way you go then get the money.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I saw Heart of Stone on Netflix... It wasn't bad... Wasn't great either. I enjoyed it. There's plot holes a plenty but I found myself wanting to know how the ending would come about. For once, the hero preaching monologue served a purpose.

Goalus

I love this!
I hope similar interviews with the main actresses emerge in the lead-up to The Marvels. This - and the diverse reactions to these interviews - is what I consider actual entertainment.

FunkMiller

I'm very glad Rachel Zegler is coming out and saying what she is. Good for her.

If she wasn't, then this movie probably wouldn't be the absolute trash fire it's going to be at the box office, and I'd be very disappointed.

winjer

Gold Member

Bloody hell, she is annoying to watch and hear.

But what I find it strange is that they are so intent in not making a Snow White movie, whilst using the name.
They changed things so much, it's pretty much a different story, different characters. They could easily call it something else and avoid the backlash.

BlackTron

Disney doesn't make most of their money off of their movies.

Most of the folks fighting this culture war against them haven't realized that yet.

In 22, only 6% of their revenue was films. The movies are commercials.

This is true but I love how it blew up in their face with Star Wars when they couldn't even sell the toys to kids during the sequel trilogy debacle. Now there's a case study on how to completely ruin an IP. Even the prequels were outstanding kids commercials. It's sad that characters like Jar Jar will get a spot in nicer figure lineups but not ST characters lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
The destruction and distilling of their own brands continues. Just crazy to me how this company went from having a vault intended to keep their IP's profitable and desired, to basically whoring out every single IP they can. I'm so glad they are paying the price for it with continued merchandise, park and box-office declines.

Last edited:

Toons

Bloody hell, she is annoying to watch and hear.

But what I find it strange is that they are so intent in not making a Snow White movie, whilst using the name.
They changed things so much, it's pretty much a different story, different characters. They could easily call it something else and avoid the backlash.

That would be pointless.

The point is to get people talking snd thinking about snow white again. New IPs are a risk, most of them don't take off. They already own the lions share of the products surrounding anything even barely connected to snow white.

They don't own the idea, of course, but they were the first to monetize it, and the biggest. Anyone can make a snow white movie but it's going to get lined up against Disney's.

Including their own re adaptation. So whether you like the new one or prefer the old one; they still win the game. Even if this film loses them money, their original snow white IP(its funny even calling it this because its not something They created originally anyway) will continue to be not only profitable but will probably get a boost from this. From a business standpoint there is zero reason at all to make a new IP, and thats why these remakes get made. Even if they are meager successes, they win. If they are flops, they win. If they are box office juggernauts like Lion King they win big

winjer

Gold Member
That would be pointless.

The point is to get people talking snd thinking about snow white again. New IPs are a risk, most of them don't take off. They already own the lions share of the products surrounding anything even barely connected to snow white.

They don't own the idea, of course, but they were the first to monetize it, and the biggest. Anyone can make a snow white movie but it's going to get lined up against Disney's.

Including their own re adaptation. So whether you like the new one or prefer the old one; they still win the game. Even if this film loses them money, their original snow white IP(its funny even calling it this because its not something They created originally anyway) will continue to be not only profitable but will probably get a boost from this. From a business standpoint there is zero reason at all to make a new IP, and thats why these remakes get made. Even if they are meager successes, they win. If they are flops, they win. If they are box office juggernauts like Lion King they win big

The idea that all publicity is good publicity is not a sound concept.
All this controversy, over so many Disney movies and shows, just ads to the feeling that the brand is bad.
Consumers lose confidence in the Disney brand and start buying from other outlets.
The latest's Disney earnings call was a disaster, with many IPs failing to meet profitability.
More and more people are starting to avoid anything Disney, because the brand has become to be seen as crap.

Toons

The idea that all publicity is good publicity is not a sound concept.

It is when you own the entire market for whatever you're discussing.

If we're talking about snow white or similar things there is no actual competition. Its all Disney. In rare cases like with Pinocchio, other brands can beat them at their own game like del toro did, and thats well and good but by and large, its gonna be a disney product either way.

All this controversy, over so many Disney movies and shows, just ads to the feeling that the brand is bad.
Consumers lose confidence in the Disney brand and start buying from other outlets.
The latest's Disney earnings call was a disaster, with many IPs failing to meet profitability.
More and more people are starting to avoid anything Disney, because the brand has become to be seen as crap.

Everyone's been hurting. Disney is hurting the least tho, because the bulk of their intake isn't from their films, but from merch and parks and they don't really have any competition on those planes.

I dont follow earnings calls, im just telling you what their priority is. Theres a reason they keep making these, and itd not because they expect them all to make 2 billion dollars.

Top Bottom