• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images from Disney remake of Snow White and the Seven "Dwarves"

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It is when you own the entire market for whatever you're discussing.

If we're talking about snow white or similar things there is no actual competition. Its all Disney. In rare cases like with Pinocchio, other brands can beat them at their own game like del toro did, and thats well and good but by and large, its gonna be a disney product either way.

Everyone's been hurting. Disney is hurting the least tho, because the bulk of their intake isn't from their films, but from merch and parks and they don't really have any competition on those planes.

I dont follow earnings calls, im just telling you what their priority is. Theres a reason they keep making these, and itd not because they expect them all to make 2 billion dollars.
Park attendance is down too. Streaming numbers are down. Just because they aren't as down as some others doesn't mean all the shitty content they've been making hasn't had an effect. It clearly has.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

If we're talking about snow white or similar things there is no actual competition. Its all Disney. In rare cases like with Pinocchio, other brands can beat them at their own game like del toro did, and thats well and good but by and large, its gonna be a disney product either way.

Everyone's been hurting. Disney is hurting the least tho, because the bulk of their intake isn't from their films, but from merch and parks and they don't really have any competition on those planes.

I dont follow earnings calls, im just telling you what their priority is. Theres a reason they keep making these, and itd not because they expect them all to make 2 billion dollars.

Their movie and streaming divisions are losing money and clients.
If Disney continues to produce so much low quality products, it will hurt their whole brand and even parks will start to lose clients.

Dural

Universal now has the second most visited park in Orlando (number 3 in North America and number 5 worldwide) with Islands of Adventure, and with Epic Universe opening in 2025 with Super Nintendo World and a new Wizarding World I guarantee Disney is worried about how it will impact their attendance.

Trunx81

4L2TXtM.jpg

Haint

Barbie's going to make like 2 billion at the Box Office (think its at 1.3 right now) and is literally "She boss, down with the patriarchy" the movie. The general market loves this stuff, Queen Z knows what she's doing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Universal now has the second most visited park in Orlando (number 3 in North America and number 5 worldwide) with Islands of Adventure, and with Epic Universe opening in 2025 with Super Nintendo World and a new Wizarding World I guarantee Disney is worried about how it will impact their attendance.
Maybe they should not screw over annual pass residents like they did, as well as raise prices at insane levels, on top of expensive parking that used to be included, all while having some side-eyed looks from families (the demographics you are targeting to attend) when it comes to children.

Toons

Perhaps, but universals gonna be in the same boat when this new Harry Potter adaptation comes. Gurantee you its not going to look exactly like the originals in terms of demographics, and the same folks who are against Disney's current direction will be turned off of universal.

The main thing thats happening is Disney's prime demographic has shifted, and so their content is shifting to match it. It happens every new generation, and will continue to.

We've already seen that entertiabemtn with more modern concepts of thinking can be lucrative and very much so. You have to also consider that not everyone watches every Disney movie anyway. Theres gonna be plenty who don't care about this but will go see Deadpool 3, or a kid who won't care about dp3 but will see wish. The point is that this movie generating this controversy now not nearly as catastrophic to Disney as some think, because snow white gets nothing without them anyway. Im all for more competition of the likes of pinochio.

Toons

Barbie's going to make like 2 billion at the Box Office (think its at 1.3 right now) and is literally "She boss, down with the patriarchy" the movie. The general market loves this stuff, Queen Z knows what she's doing.

Barbie is progressive but its also smartly written and relatable to a large market that is often overlooked. And yes that is women. Boomer women are seeing it, young women are seeing it, and everyone in between.

Zeigler is a kid. Shes 22, she's going to say stupid stuff. They all do. That will make her public enemy #1 on a site where the majority of users are males over 35, but elsewhere with a younger demographic who are already far removed from their predecessors she will probably be recieved far better, and thats who they are going for.

Not a chance this does anything close to barbie numbers tho

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
So did they forget to ask her what she thinks of Snow White before casting her?

Never seen an actress talk with such disdain about the character she's portraying. And now we end up with someone who not only looks nothing like the titular character but openly talks about how much she hates the fairy tale, the message it conveys and how bad it all was.

How did she land this role? Seriously?

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
So did they forget to ask her what she thinks of Snow White before casting her?

Never seen an actress talk with such disdain about the character she's portraying. And now we end up with someone who not only looks nothing like the titular character but openly talks about how much she hates the fairy tale, the message it conveys and how bad it all was.

How did she land this role? Seriously?
All that she is doing is saying exactly what she is told to say.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Perhaps, but universals gonna be in the same boat when this new Harry Potter adaptation comes. Gurantee you its not going to look exactly like the originals in terms of demographics, and the same folks who are against Disney's current direction will be turned off of universal.

The main thing thats happening is Disney's prime demographic has shifted, and so their content is shifting to match it. It happens every new generation, and will continue to.

We've already seen that entertiabemtn with more modern concepts of thinking can be lucrative and very much so. You have to also consider that not everyone watches every Disney movie anyway. Theres gonna be plenty who don't care about this but will go see Deadpool 3, or a kid who won't care about dp3 but will see wish. The point is that this movie generating this controversy now not nearly as catastrophic to Disney as some think, because snow white gets nothing without them anyway. Im all for more competition of the likes of pinochio.
You're not making a lick of sense. What does shifting demographics have to do with anything? Snow white is old as hell and the demo has shifted ten times over. Nobody asked for this. Nobody wants it.

simpatico

The more interviews I see of this actress, the happier I am that this movie is being made.

1. Disney will lose money
2. Disney will lose mindshare and credibility (moreso)
3. The actress playing Snow White will carry the failure for the rest of her career like a scarlet albatross of failure.

Last edited:

Toons

Who do you think all those Disney movies target?

They don't all target the same folks.

Disney's animated works are largely recognized as family films but the primary audience especially for these princess ones are young girls. Those are the folks that get their merch, clothes, etc etc.

For tween boys and up they have marvel and star wars. For young kids of any gender they have the preschool cartoons and such, Mackey mouse clubhouse and what not.

For adults they have abc and Hulu, and some nat geo stuff on Disney plus.

Toons

You're not making a lick of sense. What does shifting demographics have to do with anything? Snow white is old as hell and the demo has shifted ten times over. Nobody asked for this. Nobody wants it.

They don't have this stuff up for funsies dude.

They didn't give her her own dedicated greeting spot with an actress to "be" her so kids can hug her that has been there for decades.

Heck, I'm pretty sure they had both ariels running around for TLM(can't confirm that tho)

Snow white is a universally known character. If they didn't think they could benefit from doing this they wouldn't be doing it.

Their park numbers going down are because everything else is more expensive. Multiple films have proven now that most people aren't all hyped up about the culture war. Most of the parents doing to see these movies don't give af, they just want their kids to sit down for 90 minutes while they snore. And any kid alive today knows who snow white is, but certainly wasn't around when it was new.

Now, this movies changing a lot about the story, that much is obvious. But thats been done successfully other times; see the Alice and wonderland remake with Johnny depp, that but the movie through a creepy dark tim button filter snd somehow did a billion dollars. I dont think this movie will achieve that but to say no one at all will be interested is laughable. Snow white is a huge IP for a reason.

As for Zeigler, again, their targwt market(probably tween to young adult women) isn't going to be looking at this clips and say "ugh, when did women get like this? Baby we need to go back to older days!!" Thats now what ANY girl in that market is feeling right now. Do they have their finger on the pulse? I dont think so, not necessarily, but its not going to be the same reaction as here.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

They don't have this stuff up for funsies dude.

They didn't give her her own dedicated greeting spot with an actress to "be" her so kids can hug her that has been there for decades.

Heck, I'm pretty sure they had both ariels running around for TLM(can't confirm that tho)

Snow white is a universally known character. If they didn't think they could benefit from doing this they wouldn't be doing it.

Their park numbers going down are because everything else is more expensive. Multiple films have proven now that most people aren't all hyped up about the culture war. Most of the parents doing to see these movies don't give af, they just want their kids to sit down for 90 minutes while they snore. And any kid alive today knows who snow white is, but certainly wasn't around when it was new.

Now, this movies changing a lot about the story, that much is obvious. But thats been done successfully other times; see the Alice and wonderland remake with Johnny depp, that but the movie through a creepy dark tim button filter snd somehow did a billion dollars. I dont think this movie will achieve that but to say no one at all will be interested is laughable. Snow white is a huge IP for a reason.

As for Zeigler, again, their targwt market(probably tween to young adult women) isn't going to be looking at this clips and say "ugh, when did women get like this? Baby we need to go back to older days!!" Thats now what ANY girl in that market is feeling right now. Do they have their finger on the pulse? I dont think so, not necessarily, but its not going to be the same reaction as here.
I don't think all of this was in response to me. Perhaps you forgot to tag some others. I stand by what I said that nobody wants to see this. Granted I'm going purely on internet reaction but any "side" I've looked at lately has the same negative response. The only people I've seen not negative are you and DeafTourette DeafTourette but he's up for anything that race swaps regardless of the source material. Just as long as a poc isn't turned white. That would be too much in a fantasy setting.

And tweens may not directly care about source material accuracy but they aren't the ones paying for this stuff are they? Many recent Disney films have bombed. People site barbie as a big woke movie that's doing gangbusters but it certainly wasn't advertised as that. And the barbie ip is much larger than snow white. The transformers movies made huge bank for gods sake based purely off the ip alone.

Last edited:

Toons

I don't think all of this was in response to me. Perhaps you forgot to tag some others. I stand by what I said that nobody wants to see this. Granted I'm going purely on internet reaction but any "side" I've looked at lately has the same negative response. The only people I've seen not negative are you and DeafTourette DeafTourette but he's up for anything that race swaps regardless of the source material. Just as long as a poc isn't turned white. That would be too much in a fantasy setting.

And tweens may not directly care about source material accuracy but they aren't the ones paying for this stuff are they? Many recent Disney films have bombed. People site barbie as a big woke movie that's doing gangbusters but it certainly wasn't advertised as that. And the barbie ip is much larger than snow white. The transformers movies made huge bank for gods sake based purely off the ip alone.

Race swaps have never been that big of a deal to me. These are film as art using real people, and in my mind, any recreation of an original that feels like it has to preserve the racial purity of it for any reasons other than historical accuracy, is approaching it in a superficial and overdramatic angle. I think actor talent and thematic resonance should be far more important.

I wouldn't even have an issue with occasional poc to white characters, if it weren't for the fact that has a long and one sided history of actual oppression attached to it. But there's examples where it has worked in modern times. Ras al ghul, and Bane from the dark knight movies both swap from explicit poc characters to white actors in the movies, but its done in an honest way that makes sense for the story and the actors do good. So its fine. We've also gotten movies like Noah, exodus and gods of Egypt that have continued the trend. I sidnt see any of those, but I heard some folks liked noah.

For stuff like Hamilton they obviously were being artistic with the portrayal and the whole thing is presented more as a play reciting events, and they prioritized getting folks who could sing and dance.

Things like that cleopatra I have an issue with, as that has influence from some fringe political movements that I think should be left out of casting decisions. But other than that? Idris Elba as Hiemdall? High evolutionary? MCD Kingpin? Im fine with all of them.

Barbie was advertised as a Barbie movie, and while it obviously didn't give its entire message away ot was pretty obvious what was going on. But beyond that, its continued success in its subsequent weeks where everyone knows the full picture shows that it isn't a fluke. Its just resonating with people, and its likely going to end up bign the highest grossing fil of the entire year.

The last transformers film, while I enjoyed it, did not enjoy nearly the successes of irs predecessors hox office wise; and both Barbie, little mermaid, guardians of the galaxy and Oppenheimer have trounced it.

Box office is a tricky thing to predict, and I think if you told anyone that the winners of the summer would play out that way 8 months ago no one would've believed you.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Race swaps have never been that big of a deal to me. These are film as art using real people, and in my mind, any recreation of an original that feels like it has to preserve the racial purity of it for any reasons other than historical accuracy, is approaching it in a superficial and overdramatic angle. I think actor talent and thematic resonance should be far more important.

I wouldn't even have an issue with occasional poc to white characters, if it weren't for the fact that has a long and one sided history of actual oppression attached to it. But there's examples where it has worked in modern times. Ras al ghul, and Bane from the dark knight movies both swap from explicit poc characters to white actors in the movies, but its done in an honest way that makes sense for the story and the actors do good. So its fine. We've also gotten movies like Noah, exodus and gods of Egypt that have continued the trend. I sidnt see any of those, but I heard some folks liked noah.

For stuff like Hamilton they obviously were being artistic with the portrayal and the whole thing is presented more as a play reciting events, and they prioritized getting folks who could sing and dance.

Things like that cleopatra I have an issue with, as that has influence from some fringe political movements that I think should be left out of casting decisions. But other than that? Idris Elba as Hiemdall? High evolutionary? MCD Kingpin? Im fine with all of them.

Barbie was advertised as a Barbie movie, and while it obviously didn't give its entire message away ot was pretty obvious what was going on. But beyond that, its continued success in its subsequent weeks where everyone knows the full picture shows that it isn't a fluke. Its just resonating with people, and its likely going to end up bign the highest grossing fil of the entire year.

The last transformers film, while I enjoyed it, did not enjoy nearly the successes of irs predecessors hox office wise; and both Barbie, little mermaid, guardians of the galaxy and Oppenheimer have trounced it.

Box office is a tricky thing to predict, and I think if you told anyone that the winners of the summer would play out that way 8 months ago no one would've believed you.
I disagree. I think it was quite easy to see barbie was going to make money. Not money to the degree it has maybe but the marketing push was absolutely huge. The film being "woke" in this case I don't think has done anything positive or negative to it. It's apparently just really well made film for what it is.

Edmund

Used to have a tiny crush on Rachel Zegler when I watched West Side Story. I was a musical theatre actor in training then and loved her performance.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Disney's animated Snow White goes into public domain (in the US) in 2032 so they gotta do something to protect "their parts" of the story. Pulling the names of the dwarves and whatever elements they want to protect and slapping them on to a somewhat different narrative is probably part of their anticipated legal defense (they can claim those elements across ALL stories, not just ones strictly following the OG film, something like that). The next 10-20 years is gonna dump a lot of stuff into PD that should be interesting to watch, we are getting into the "modern era" for a lot of stuff. A version of Superman or Batman, using ONLY the first year or so of comics as source and having to explicitly avoid anything developed later, would be wild to see.

Amory

The more interviews I see of this actress, the happier I am that this movie is being made.

1. Disney will lose money
2. Disney will lose mindshare and credibility (moreso)
3. The actress playing Snow White will carry the failure for the rest of her career like a scarlet albatross of failure.
Meh. The movie probably won’t do well for Disney, I agree with that, but the actress isn’t gonna have any marks on her. It’s a throwaway project to feed the Disney Plus fire, with good pay and the usual media people will praise it whether it’s good or not.

Didn’t she basically say she doesn’t like the classic Snow White story or characters? She’s not looking at this as a meaningful moment in her career, and she’s probably right not to

simpatico

Meh. The movie probably won’t do well for Disney, I agree with that, but the actress isn’t gonna have any marks on her. It’s a throwaway project to feed the Disney Plus fire, with good pay and the usual media people will praise it whether it’s good or not.

Didn’t she basically say she doesn’t like the classic Snow White story or characters? She’s not looking at this as a meaningful moment in her career, and she’s probably right not to
The long term memory of society has to kick in at some point. At least you'd hope.

Lambogenie

Her interviews remind me of when Devil may Cry was doing the rounds trashing original DMC. The exact same trashing of the previous, great originals with this incredibly arrogant and savior attitude.

NickFire

If the original story was so bad they should have the balls to make an entirely new story with a different name. Even if I thought the story sucked I'd at least respect the intellectual honesty.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
If the original story was so bad they should have the balls to make an entirely new story with a different name. Even if I thought the story sucked I'd at least respect the intellectual honesty.
They want to have their cake and eat it too. That worked out really well for Star Wars. Shit on the og characters while using them to draw in the fans.

Last edited:

Hudo

Wonder if she said the same thing during the audition.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

EXCLUSIVE: Branding experts warn Rachel Zegler backlash could RUIN Disney's big budget Snow White remake and predict executives will be having 'crisis talks' in order to win back fans ahead of 2024 release​

• Rachel, 22, caused uproar online after admitting she 'hated' the original movie
  • The West Side Story actress insisted her Snow White would 'not be dreaming about true love' in the upcoming film
  • PR and marketing executives warned her comments could have a 'negative' impact on the movie's success when it is released in March 2024
  • READ MORE: Snow White star Rachel Zegler is slammed as a 'fake feminist' and accused of 'gaslighting' Disney fans

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
She’s kind of annoying. She said some real stupid shit about the IP she is now apart of, and now plays the victim. Death threats aren’t cool though. She has a right to be pissed about that.
Welcome to the internet. The greatest victim cudgel to latch onto and shift focus.

Us plebs were getting those on the internet long before the normies discovered it on the smart devices, and especially before the privileged victims.

Top Bottom