• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
wtf no deload ever? I take a deload week every fourth week (5/3/1). Half the time I take the full week off - no gym no nothing. I feel bigger and better every time.

bjb

Banned
Yeah dood, I would eventually just take a week off and relax. Let you body recover and then reevaluate how you feel. In the end, only you know your limits and what you are capable of. Sometimes that rest is what you need more than anything.

I second this. If you've had sufficient progress already, then there's nothing wrong with taking a week off to rest up both mentally and physically.

Petrie

Banned
realized the new 9-5 will make doing IF much more feasible should I choose. can eat all I want later in the day instead of working. may give it another go.

got through my first day, but man, being at work from 8-5/7-4 seems to kill most of my day. I'rm so used to most of my shifts being 5-6 hours max that it seems like I have no time at all once lifting gets in there.

may see if I can fit it into my lunch hour. what do you guys think?

balddemon

Banned
realized the new 9-5 will make doing IF much more feasible should I choose. can eat all I want later in the day instead of working. may give it another go.

got through my first day, but man, being at work from 8-5/7-4 seems to kill most of my day. I'rm so used to most of my shifts being 5-6 hours max that it seems like I have no time at all once lifting gets in there.

wouldn't lifting during your lunch hour cause you to rush your workouts? I've never been able to finish in an hour unless all I'm doing are the 3 compound workouts for the day. plus you don't have time to shower.
maybe you could split your workouts in two?

Cudder

If you have a gym really close to your work I would try to fit it in on your lunch break. An hour is enough to hit 2 body parts. And even if you are a bit rushed, it will force you to take minimal breaks in between sets and hit your muscle harder ;)

CrankyJay

Banned

I was a morning workout guy until I started IF. The. Switched to afternoons. Then again I can come and go from my office as long as I get 40 hours in.

Once you get settled in is there any way you can work earlier hours to get out earlier?

Otherwise you can do fasted morning workouts with BCAAs before and after until you break the fast.

kylej

Banned
got through my first day, but man, being at work from 8-5/7-4 seems to kill most of my day. it seems like I have no time at all once lifting gets in there.

Time to man up and wake up early as hell to go before work. It's the only way I find

Petrie

Banned
Yeah, went after work today but going at 5 was hell with crowds.

my gym is only 5 minutes away though, and I could fit my 5/3/1 lifts in pretty easily on lunch, I dunno. Guess I'll see what happens once I have a few weeks under my belt. Ideally I can skip damn lunch hour, leave earlier, and hit the gym like nobody's business. that or I'll likely cut down to a 2 or 3 day program. we'll see. What I know for sure is going right after work will not work long term, too many people. damn.

Guess getting up at 5ish might be my best option. we shall see.

Switch to 3 day a week two during your weekend and one during the work week before or after work. Boom done.

this is not a bad idea at all. my girl sleeps far later than me so pretty easily done. hmm

Noema

ok here are my squat form videos. explain to me what type of squat I'm doing (if you can), and what I'm doing wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3tDWlwWYyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJX3rkee6s

You are doing low bar mechanics with a high bar position (bar on the traps). Which is of course not ideal, because you end up with a non-vertical bar path (the bar path sways forward a bit at the bottom), with your center of gravity not over the middle of your foot.

If you are going to do high bar, your back has to be much more vertical, with your knees traveling forward and you drive up with your chest, not your hips:

Please refer to this video for the differences between low and high bar squats

In other words, your squat should look like the one in the middle, not the one on the far right:

squats.jpg

Now, I understand you are having ankle flexibility issues. Since high bar squatting requires more ankle flexibility than low bar, I would suggest maybe that you try doing low bar and see how that feels.

If you are unsure as to where the bar should be placed on a low bar squat, here's a detailed explanation.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, went after work today but going at 5 was hell with crowds.

my gym is only 5 minutes away though, and I could fit my 5/3/1 lifts in pretty easily on lunch, I dunno. Guess I'll see what happens once I have a few weeks under my belt. Ideally I can skip damn lunch hour, leave earlier, and hit the gym like nobody's business. that or I'll likely cut down to a 2 or 3 day program. we'll see. What I know for sure is going right after work will not work long term, too many people. damn.

Guess getting up at 5ish might be my best option. we shall see.

this is not a bad idea at all. my girl sleeps far later than me so pretty easily done. hmm

It's what I'm doing and it works great.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
what routine are you using to work on that schedule?

5/3/1 If you have the book it's page 61.

Training Three Days/Week You can use the 5/3/1 method by training either 3 or 4 days per week. This is determined by your schedule and what works best for you. Training four days a week seems to fall in line with most training programs. In my experience, either way works well. When I train three days per week, I get much more motivated to train the lifts, and I recover much better. Here’s how to do it:
Week 1
Monday
Wednesday
Friday
Military – 3x5
Deadlift – 3x5
Bench – 3x5
Week 2
Squat – 3x5
Military – 3x3
Deadlift – 3x3
Week 3
Bench – 3x3
Squat – 3x3
Military – 5/3/1
Week 4
Deadlift – 5/3/1
Bench – 5/3/1
Squat – 5/3/1
Week 5
Military/Deadlift - Deload
Bench – Deload
Deadlift - Deload
Week 6 (Begin cycle over again with new maxes)
Nothing changes with this program. Assistance work stays the same as it would with any normal training routine. Don’t try to overthink this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How have your midnight gladiator workouts been Alien? You getting used to it?

I'm day shift right now. It's a monthly rotation they lovingly call the rookie roster. You swap posts and shifts every month. Next month I'll be evening shift which also isn't bad at all. I've been off midnights for about 2 weeks now.

That said, the midnight working out was fine, but it's boring as hell with no one there. That shift sucks in general if you're not an antisocial shut in.

Which reminds me, I need to go the fuck to sleep.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuckin hell first time back at the gym in quite some time since I lost a lot of muscle and fat. Humbling experience. Ah well, this is probably my least impressive day from now on.

cryptic

You are rounding your back at the bottom, and by a fair amount. Keep your chest up!

Yeah that definitely sounds about right, thanks. My butt just tends to fall that way I wonder what I can do to fix it while still maintaining depth. I do feel the sweats might be a little restrictive but I'm not sure that it would be worth it to buy track pants for that.

NVM. I watched this video and it explained some things.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMqN6vveB0

Thanks because I was becoming complacent on my squat lately and wasn't really checking for those issues.

Mully

First day back at the gym after my sprained ankle ten days ago. I was able to deadlift 280 for 2 reps. I'm getting there. I can't wait to get to three full plates.

_Isaac

It seems like everybody does high bar whether they mean to or not and then Noema comes in and tells them that they're applying low bar mechanics to high bar squats. Nothing wrong with that, but it's crazy how common that is.

Noema

It seems like everybody does high bar whether they mean to or not and then Noema comes in and tells them that they're applying low bar mechanics to high bar squats. Nothing wrong with that, but it's crazy how common that is.

Probably because the high bar squat is the most natural form of squatting. You walk to the rack, you put the bar on your traps and you squat down and then up.

Low bar squats are sort of contrived in that they involve the manipulation of the hip and knee angles to augment the amount of musculature involvement in the movement, specifically the hamstrings, but they are hardly 'natural' in the sense that they have to be coached, as in "place the bar here ". It can also be rather uncomfortable if you don't have enough shoulder flexibility.

I certainly wasn't aware of the difference until I read Starting Strength. I started doing Stronglifts and of course Mehdi doesn't really explain the difference, so naturally I was doing high bar squats (with awful form because my cues were all wrong).

Demon Ice

Banned
Some of Rippetoe's quotes in the Starting Strength wiki are absolute gold:

On the ethics of meat eating:

Okay, have you ever been around chickens? They are stupid, uncooperative, inconvenient, ill-tempered creatures. They get what they deserve. Fuck chickens.

Testosterone levels peak in our mid-twenties, hold relatively steady for another decade, and then begin to fall like women’s clothes at the kinds of parties we don’t get invited to any more.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is there anything essential in the 3rd edition of Starting Strength that I'd be missing out on if I bought one of the cheaper, earlier editions?

Banglish

Alright guys how're these?

Squat
http://youtu.be/ePZdMSFwqzo

Am I still using high and low bar parameters?
I was trying low bar, tried to keep the bar under my traps, felt like it was slipping at some times, so I just shoved my elbows up a bit.
Seems like my back is too straight though, in the example Noema gives the low bar requires you to bend forward - having a hard time with that.

Press
http://youtu.be/4xw6utT8cr8

Clean
http://youtu.be/CYALmd7wX_U

Sorry the clean isn't from the greatest angle.
Looks like I'm not getting under the bar enough though huh.

Is there anything essential in the 3rd edition of Starting Strength that I'd be missing out on if I bought one of the cheaper, earlier editions?
I just received my 3rd edition in the mail, haven't started getting into it yet but in the preface Mark says that they made many additions and changes to it from the 2nd (which I have not read).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I just received my 3rd edition in the mail, haven't started getting into it yet but in the preface Mark says that they made many additions and changes to from the 2nd (which I have not read).

Hm, alright. I hope some of it is useful introductory stuff and not just targeted at hardcore lifters who've been doing this forever.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm going to attempt a muscle up with 25lbs hanging tomorrow! What the hell? I'm lean and mean right now. It's worth a shot. Wish me luck.

Banglish

Hm, alright. I hope some of it is useful introductory stuff and not just targeted at hardcore lifters who've been doing this forever.

Nah man it's meant as an intro to lifting. It's broken down nice and simple with great illustrations to aid in understanding of the movements.

Rookje

Man heavy deadlifts destroy my hands. (Doing 325 lbs) I don't wear gloves or use chalk, so maybe that's my problem.

Got 2 strawberry cheesecake boxes, 1 cinnamon and 1 peanut butter supreme, 1 chocolate peanut butter and a sampler box.

photo4fsao.jpg

Tried out a few so far, the chocolate peanut butter and the brownie I had already tried before, they are ok when microwaved. The strawberry cheescake was good, amazing with coffee. Cinnamon was also nice, the PBS and the almond sampler were delicious, the best so far. Can't wait to try out the rest.

Also 40 pieces of the hyped cookie dough bar are arriving tomorrow.

Also got me 2 boxes of these:

photo1cbs11.jpg

Everyday is cheat day on this cut.
except it's not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom