• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Pendlay rows for life! How am I just now discovering these after 22 years of lifting?

Levi

Banned
Do you guys use protein bars? Any recommendations, trying to find some I can snack on around regular meals.

Only worthwhile bar I know of is Quest bars. Most protein bars are packed with sugar and heavily processed, Quest not so much. Lots of fiber, so don't overdo it.

OG Kush

The only ab exercise that I full properly felt and gave me good results was the Bosu Ball Cable Crunch (Elliot Hulse video). It just stretched the abs so good. It just felt so right for me. No other ab exercise came close and got good development from it. Anyway back in my Uni/College town and gym here doesn't have a bosu ball. Anyone know any similar exercises? Tried to do with a stability ball only bodyweight but didn't feel it properly. Even bodyweight bosu ball crunches I'd get a burn.

sphinx

the piano man
Pendlay rows for life! How am I just now discovering these after 22 years of lifting?

that's what I love about this.

There are machines in gym I have no idea what they are for, or better said, I don't know what will happen over time if I devote time to them.

I try to introduce new accesory work every couple months and every time I do, I realize there is so many more things to learn.

It's nice to learn

grumble

If you can, go to a shoe store and try some Adidas shoes until you find a comfortable size. Then order the Adipowers in the same size because they're true to size.

Possibly a half size down, you want those shoes pretty snug even after they break in.

Sadetar

Mike Robertson is a very legit trainer, so if you're following that article I'd say you're on the right track. For some types of lower back problems front squats can be problematic because they have the torso almost totally vertical, which can put pressure on the spine, but in other cases they can be better than back squats because the abs/core can stabilise more directly and because of the leg angles allowing depth without turning the spine into an extended lever. If you were able to go to depth without pain or discomfort and could keep your arms up (which keeps the torso straight) then that sounds pretty good, but of course it's important to remain cautious when dealing with the lower back.

The only other thing I'd add is that if you're regularly front squatting and not back squatting it's a good idea to devote some extra effort to training the hamstrings/posterior chain, which aren't used much in front squats.
Yes, I read it all through from that site and tried to remember everything when I hit the gym. Good to hear that you think it is a legit page. They felt alright to me the first time I tried them, and I am going to give them another try on Tuesday. I have had problems with my back and those felt definitely better than the normal squat style. If I can get a hold of the physiotherapist I am going to also ask her opinion about them though. But so far so good.

Also thanks for the tip what I need to train on top of those. :D

Switching is always good!

I drink like close to 100oz of water a day, and I don't actively eat salt but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I don't know what's wrong with my legs. I haven't been wearing covers the past few months, but that's because it's so hot in my apartment :(

I guess I'll see how long between now and the next time is, and decide then. :/

Time for yoga!

Oh.
Awwww, kitty cat! :D

Hopefully your leg also gets better. Keep us updated how are you doing! We also want some proper comparison pics before your trip! :p

Crosspost from instagram, only 2kg difference but it's almost black magic what upping your carbs can do (at least for me). Guess i'll have to keep the extreme low carb for a cut, and eat somewhat normal in a bulk.
You learn something every day.

Also I don't have dark spots on my body, it's just a dirty mirror lol.

Foamroll!
I try to always do it after a heavy day of lifting.
Ooh! You look damn good like always! ;)

Also foamrolls are divine! I use them only like once a week, but they definitely make the difference.

Only worthwhile bar I know of is Quest bars. Most protein bars are packed with sugar and heavily processed, Quest not so much. Lots of fiber, so don't overdo it.
I am madly in love with Quest bars. Yesterday I just ordered four new boxes - good times ahead.

I know I don't really need them, but I definitely want them. They are handy to have around when I desire something sweet. They have also saved quite many working days and I am planning to have couple with me when I go to a vacation so I have something easy and healthy to eat on my bag on all times.

This new girl is making me miss lots of gym days. Need to balance it out.
Congratulations of the new girl! Hopefully she is worth it! ;)

ILoveBish

Picture it...

Just finished 3x180lb on overhead press... It's my 10th 1's week, i've done this 9 times prior and hit new records every single time.. I load up the bar, 45, 25, 5 and 2.5 per side.. double check the weights.. Get my belt on but only just on, check my music, set it to gym hype playlist.. song comes on, heart rate goes higher.. Tighten up the belt, get chalked up, and grab the bar.. Thinking, am i going to get this? What if i don't? If i don't, how will i tell fitgaf? You know what i'm going to do, lift this, then tell fitgaf... Music gets hyper overload.. Max out volume, then unrack the barbell.. Get my breathing in order, then go for it. Goes halfway up.. But im holding it and its not dropping, so i tighten up my entire body, give it everything i have, yell and push it all the way up. Got it. 200lbs overhead press, in the air, holding it steady.

That was a heck of a way to start my 10th 1's week. 1 down, 3 to go.

Sadetar

Picture it...

Just finished 3x180lb on overhead press... It's my 10th 1's week, i've done this 9 times prior and hit new records every single time.. I load up the bar, 45, 25, 5 and 2.5 per side.. double check the weights.. Get my belt on but only just on, check my music, set it to gym hype playlist.. song comes on, heart rate goes higher.. Tighten up the belt, get chalked up, and grab the bar.. Thinking, am i going to get this? What if i don't? If i don't, how will i tell fitgaf? You know what i'm going to do, lift this, then tell fitgaf... Music gets hyper overload.. Max out volume, then unrack the barbell.. Get my breathing in order, then go for it. Goes halfway up.. But im holding it and its not dropping, so i tighten up my entire body, give it everything i have, yell and push it all the way up. Got it. 200lbs overhead press, in the air, holding it steady.

That was a heck of a way to start my 10th 1's week. 1 down, 3 to go.
Splendid work my dear!

And oh the drama! <3

Go_Ly_Dow

Gym closed tomorrow due to public hol. And been ushered in to work tues-fri.

Considering hitting the gym dead on opening at 6:30 each morning.

Pakoe

Ooh! You look damn good like always! ;)

Also foamrolls are divine! I use them only like once a week, but they definitely make the difference.

Aww thanks you're too sweet.
Yeah foam rolls are a gift from the heavens, every time i feel something i just foamroll it and it's gone.

I swear I hate those octagonal plates. Makes deadlifting more difficult IMO.

My new-ish gym has those. It is really pushing me towards a lot more singles work with deadlifts. Also low rack pulls where the bar only "just" sits above the ground, so the dead stop doesn't push the bar backwards or forwards.

Did calf raises for the first time yesterday. Every step has soreness today. I know the calf discussion comes up pretty often, but I literally have no calf definition at the moment.

Do you guys use protein bars? Any recommendations, trying to find some I can snack on around regular meals.

As mentioned, Quest Bars are amazing. I also like Pure Protein-brand bars and that is what I ate before I got into Quest Bars.

Quest Protein Chips suck ass though. They're just too expensive for how few chips you get, they don't taste that great (the sea salt ones are basically plain as far as I can tell, although the BBQ ones were alright), and mine arrived mostly smashed up anyway.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Had a cheat day if you will yesterday. Upped my calories to about 3200 but all the increase was in foods I already eat every day. More peanut butter, Greek yogurt, and meat. Fun way to eat a little more with very little guilt.

EDIT: Also just bought 6 boxes of Quest Bars yesterday for 115 bucks! A few weeks ago we went to GNC and missed closing by 1 minute. The manager felt bad and gave me a 20% card that is good for your entire purchase. Score. I also noticed the nutritional info changed since last time a had them. Cookie dough used to be 160 calories and now it's 190. Hmm. Wonder if it's related to the law suit?

Levi

Banned
I like my calves. I would call them my best feature, which isn't saying much but it's all I've got. :)
tumblr_napynynVlt1tilz1ho1_1280.jpg

With the NFL season approaching, I'm getting more and more random comments from people asking if I am suiting up for the Broncos.

Jets all the way, baybeeeeee.

agrajag

Banned
Looks pretty good to me. Nothing terrible stands out to me, so maybe one of the more technical guys like Brolic can chime in.

Thanks, that's a relief!

I swear I hate those octagonal plates. Makes deadlifting more difficult IMO.

Yeah, they are a bitch. I hate whoever came up with that design.

My new-ish gym has those. It is really pushing me towards a lot more singles work with deadlifts. Also low rack pulls where the bar only "just" sits above the ground, so the dead stop doesn't push the bar backwards or forwards.

Yeah, those plates break up the flow of the sets. Sometimes I have to stop, realign the bar and get into position again, making it more like a bunch of one rep sets.

Is that 24 hr Fitness Miramar??? I go there once in a while (I usually go to Pines)

Yep!

agrajag

Banned
Nice we should be lifting bros :)

The Miramar location is ratchet though. Weights misplaced everywhere.

I'd be down! I mostly go late at night, when it gets even worse. Only two 2.5lbs plates in the entire gym that are impossible to find, I eventually broke down and bought my own. The Miramar one is five minutes away from where I live, so it works for me though..

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Feeling like complete shit but I still managed 365 4x8 for some hypertrophy today. Yawning and feel like sleeping during my entire workout :/

Feeling like complete shit but I still managed 365 4x8 for some hypertrophy today. Yawning and feel like sleeping during my entire workout :/
I find that some of my best workouts come on days when I go in feeling shitty. Like, I'll expect to feel weak in a lift, but instead I smash the shit, and it has a snowball effect for the rest of my session. It's weird how that works sometimes lol.

Sadetar

Ok, time for some serious talk about weight and looks.

When I started to work out, people were saying to me in real life that I better be careful or I will end up looking like a bulky dude. We all know that didn't happen and on the contrary I have a way more feminine shape compared to were I started. Now the same people are telling to me that I better look out or I will lose all the nice curves I am having at the moment... Especially so when I inform them I am still planning to lose at least around 15-20 kilos / 33-44 pounds.

It seems that people are totally unable to estimate how much I weight. Everyone I have asked have thought I must be something between 72-76 kilos / 158-168 pounds. I don't think that they realize that when I started to work out I weighted 108 kilos / 238 pounds meaning I was seriously obese. I have managed to lose quite much fat, but I still weight 89 kilos / 196 pounds - and my BMI still says I am obese. What comes to my weight, I am still huge and weight more than like half of the lads in here who have been working out for years (awful idea to be honest).

When people imagine a female who is 168 cm / 5 feet and 6 inches tall and who weights what I weight they generally don't think of my body type it seems. I must say I am bit puzzled, since I actually don't feel that particularly obese anymore and I nicely fit into regular clothes, but I assume it must be just because of the comparison of what I used to be. I start to look quite alright clothed, but I still need to work to look sexy when naked... a long way to go to that I am sure. I assume I must carry all the extra weight well, since I have managed to trick myself to believe that I nowadays actually look quite alright. But like said, I am still planning to burn the excess fat off just to be able to hit my goals - to be healthy and to have a nice feminine silhouette and curves on the right places.

I don't really even know why I needed to open up about this whole weight issue, but I guess it is because I don't want to start to be too satisfied about everything I have gained this far since there is still a lot more work to do. I also think I don't anymore realize how big I actually am still.

Aww thanks you're too sweet.
Yeah foam rolls are a gift from the heavens, every time i feel something i just foamroll it and it's gone.
Hahah, not really sweet, just honest. :p

Tomorrow is pilates and foamrolling. :D I am actually looking forward to it since even though it hurts like hell in the beginning it is like one of the only things that will open those knots on the back and side of my legs. :)

I find that some of my best workouts come on days when I go in feeling shitty. Like, I'll expect to feel weak in a lift, but instead I smash the shit, and it has a snowball effect for the rest of my session. It's weird how that works sometimes lol.
It is exactly the same for me as well. I go there feeling like a zombie and end up being the beast of my life. :D

I like my calves. I would call them my best feature, which isn't saying much but it's all I've got. :)
Good looking calves I must admit.

I haven't never even thought what would be my best features. If hair doesn't count I assume I would go with legs or the ass. :D

Arthos

Squat 485 lbs x 1. Went for 500 after this but failed half way up.

Nice! Seemed like you almost had it, too.

So I'm on week something of SL (probably like 6 or something, IDK) and it's fun. Still hate the overhead press and my bench is severely lacking. I can see myself having to deload. Such little strength. :(

Also not sure if I really want to bulk right now or cut. I don't have much mass or muscle (seriously, I don't) but am tired of the body fat I have. I'm not entirely sure what the % is but one thing that's keeping me from cutting is my large ribcage which I have no idea how to fix! Looks weird as my stomach kinda sinks in. Any ideas?

Not going to lie though, since doing SL I'm missing dips and the like. Also question: I'm pretty sure I have my deadlift form correct. Is it alright to have the upper back round a little bit? I'm not having problems with the lower which is good.

Leeness

Awwww, kitty cat! :D

Hopefully your leg also gets better. Keep us updated how are you doing! We also want some proper comparison pics before your trip! :p

My leg was better pretty much the next day, it just hurts like a motherfucker when it first happens. Like enough that I wake up screaming :(

Didn't work out this weekend lol. :( Busy and today was at a wedding all day (also meaning I ate way too much). Back to it tomorrow.

And your post you made on your weight just now, don't listen to anyone else! Just do you, whatever you want. You're not going to lose curves losing another 40lbs. So whatever you want to do, just go for it. You've accomplished a lot already and will continue to. :)

Go_Ly_Dow

Getting mentally prepped for the gym tonight, feel pretty strong, going to eat, lay down and get ready.

Love those rare days when you get a perfect nights sleep, feel refreshed and have the time to eat some serious food before workout.

Feels like its time to break some serious PRs!

ILoveBish

Neat know I'm not the only one who does this.

It's mental and physical. Very important to get your mind in check.

Love those rare days when you get a perfect nights sleep, feel refreshed and have the time to eat some serious food before workout.

Feels like its time to break some serious PRs!

I love those days, but today was not one of them.

For the first time, I've failed on my 1s week. On my 3x415lb set, last rep going up, right hand lost grip suddenly. I tried to get a stronger grip, got it up, but tore up my Palm pretty badly. I lost all grip strength on my right hand there. I tried for 465lb deadlift 3 times, each time I get it up, but then the right side feels 3x heavier then the left and I have to drop it.

I'll be honest, feels bad man. I felt like I should have taken the night off anyway but decided to go and finish up. Wish I waited. Oh well. I hope after I sleep I'll not be so whiny about it. Crap like this happens.

I'm going to continue on with bench and squat after I take a day or 2 off to recover, then rest up again and try for the deadlift once more. I know I can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom