• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

10641054_659017218576_5750683395556571337_n.jpg

Wooo! Can't believe I scored these for 99.99

Thanks Chocobro!

Zero2kz

Fuck me. I thought my whole body was sore because of my back. But it just hit me like a truck. The shivers, sweating, aches and pain and my stomach feels like shit. I think I am about to ruin my 14 year streak of not getting sick (not counting booze induced sickness).

Am I already dead?

Sadetar

Today at the university gym I met so many colleagues. Most of them I have been working with during this summer and they just polite nodded my way and I nodded back. Then there was a lad, who hasn't been at the same job the whole summer (but will continue this winter) and I felt like I was air to him. When I went to fill my water bottle I just said hi to him when I was walking past and he looked at me puzzled, after a while smiled and said that he didn't recognize me at all. I know there has been a huge change in the last three months and I am definitely going to take that as a compliment. ^_^

Oh, OH! I also did front squats today! Awesome exercise. I am definitely going to take the time to master them. First time my lower back didn't have any pressure when doing squats and I managed to go low enough easily. I didn't find them that uncomfortable (at least not yet, I just used wooden stick at the gym to practise). Also I noticed that my mobility is quite alright and I don't think I am going to have issues with arms. I managed to keep them what I think is the right position. If you are doing front squats on regular basis, I would like to hear your opinion about them. I think they will be worth my time, but then again I am a newbie. :D I also read this through and watched the videos. Is that a good source to try to learn them from?

Local market near me is selling their own freshly made almond butter for $5 a pound. I am in heaven.
And I am utterly jealous. :p

The only thing I would recommend against is any kind of heated classes--I think they're bunk. I can sweat buckets even in a room actively being cooled.
Hahah, I am exactly the same. I better stay away from them. :D

I guess I'm not a dude Petrie.

This explains everything.
No, you are not a dude - you are Quadzilla. :D

10641054_659017218576_5750683395556571337_n.jpg

Wooo! Can't believe I scored these for 99.99

Thanks Chocobro!
Oh those are so cute! I want them now as well!

Strength training does increase testosterone, that is one of the advantages. It's a brief increase but that can make a huge difference. That, and eating properly after fasting or dieting hard take me from zero libido to horndog.

I may have low testosterone, most of the time I'm fatigued and my latest blood results did not give any indication of high blood sugar or related metabolism issues other than a bit high blood pressure. So it's either that or more likely my fucked up sleep habits. I need to work on that first before even considering doing stuff with hormones.
It has the same effect to me as well. ;)

I also need to get my sleeping schedules on check since I have lately been sleeping around 4-5 hours per night for around 4-5 nights per week. I have still been doing surprisingly well at both work and at the gym, but I know I am not even near my 100%.

actually, I gotta mention this...started going to the gym regularly 3x a week since the beginning of july...and my libido has gone through the roof.

has anyone else who has recently started working our or started back up notice this?
Hahah, well I have been like a total hornball ever since I started to go to gym 5 months ago... I am fairly sure all of you have noticed this already though. ;)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Don't know why, but I had this impulse to jump off 5/3/1 BBB and go back to Starting Strength today. Well, not really go back as I've never done the program proper. I started doing a haphazard full body split, followed by Madcow, followed by 5/3/1, and even though I've made some okay progress I'm not anywhere I want to be strength-wise. My squats and deadlifts are seriously lacking compared to my bench and press. Decided I would remedy that and start anew. I've been through some tough shit (illnesses and injuries) over the past year, all of which haven't helped with progress, but I think really focusing on the major lifts will help me accomplish my strength goals.

Anyway, I began running SS today. Would you say I deloaded too little/too much/just enough? I went based off my current 5-rep maxes:

Bench 180x1x5 to 135x3x5
Squat 195x1x5 to 135x3x5
Deadlift 250x1x5 to 190x3x5
Press 115x1x5 to 85x3x5

Never done power cleans so I'm just starting with the bar I think.

Good idea/bad idea?

Wish me luck!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, OH! I also did front squats today! Awesome exercise. I am definitely going to take the time to master them. First time my lower back didn't have any pressure when doing squats and I managed to go low enough easily. I didn't find them that uncomfortable (at least not yet, I just used wooden stick at the gym to practise). Also I noticed that my mobility is quite alright and I don't think I am going to have issues with arms. I managed to keep them what I think is the right position. If you are doing front squats on regular basis, I would like to hear your opinion about them. I think they will be worth my time, but then again I am a newbie. :D I also read this through and watched the videos. Is that a good source to try to learn them from?
Mike Robertson is a very legit trainer, so if you're following that article I'd say you're on the right track. For some types of lower back problems front squats can be problematic because they have the torso almost totally vertical, which can put pressure on the spine, but in other cases they can be better than back squats because the abs/core can stabilise more directly and because of the leg angles allowing depth without turning the spine into an extended lever. If you were able to go to depth without pain or discomfort and could keep your arms up (which keeps the torso straight) then that sounds pretty good, but of course it's important to remain cautious when dealing with the lower back.

The only other thing I'd add is that if you're regularly front squatting and not back squatting it's a good idea to devote some extra effort to training the hamstrings/posterior chain, which aren't used much in front squats.

Zero2kz

Update, I think I have ebola (kidding). I am able to manage if I lay down for an extended period of time, but any attempt to stand I get profuse sweating, lose my hearing and get extreme vertigo. So I cant really go to the store to get medicine, and I have none here.

If I dont make it, do some curls in the squat rack in my honor.

SeanR1221

So, I did some fairly light deadlifts at the end of my workout today, and recorded the first couple of them.

Let's see how it went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hOL8l5YJWo&feature=youtu.be
The lowering part looks a bit like I'm lowering too fast/like I let my waist collapse for a moment, and it felt like I fixed it for the following set. Anything that looks dangerous now otherwise?

You have a very poor start position. You're basically in a squat. You want to sit back more, shoulders slightly over the bar, ass up a little

Deadlift-Form-Starting-Position.jpg

Szu

Update, I think I have ebola (kidding). I am able to manage if I lay down for an extended period of time, but any attempt to stand I get profuse sweating, lose my hearing and get extreme vertigo. So I cant really go to the store to get medicine, and I have none here.

If I dont make it, do some curls in the squat rack in my honor.

For you, I'll do seated dumbbell curls in the squat rack.

Szu

Last week, I tweaked the right side of my back. It was starting to feel better, then I tweaked the left side However, it wasn't as serious because I felt great today.

During a set of OHP, I tweaked the back of my neck. Then, the pain just kept nagging me throughout my workout.

During my third set of dragon flags, I thought to myself.

"I'm getting too old for this shit."

You have a very poor start position. You're basically in a squat. You want to sit back more, shoulders slightly over the bar, ass up a little

Speaking of deadlifts. Does it matter if i decided to tighten when i am in the deadlift position ready to pick up the bar vs tighten while standing up and then get in position?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of deadlifts. Does it matter if i decided to tighten when i am in the deadlift position ready to pick up the bar vs tighten while standing up and then get in position?
I believe you can't properly brace your core from the start position.

Leeness

Good for you for doing it!

I am going to check the yoga classes and do either it or pilates. I think I am going to switch between them to be honest. At least pilates has worked really well for me this far. :)

Are you drinking enough and making sure you get enough salt as well? Also I think it can be if your blood circulation in your legs is bad. Then it happens especially during night when you are sleeping and/or laying down. You could try to get up to the ball of your feet and down again 30-50 times quite quickly before bed. Some people say it helps. Try to keep your legs warm too.

If these doesn't help I suggest you to contact a doctor.

Switching is always good!

I drink like close to 100oz of water a day, and I don't actively eat salt but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I don't know what's wrong with my legs. I haven't been wearing covers the past few months, but that's because it's so hot in my apartment :(

I guess I'll see how long between now and the next time is, and decide then. :/

Time for yoga!

Oh.

MBR

Banned

So, basically I want to keep my butt up more and straighten my legs a bit to make my back more parallell with the floor?

SeanR1221

So, basically I want to keep my butt up more and straighten my legs a bit to make my back more parallell with the floor?

Butt up more, but you don't want your back parallel with the floor. You want your shoulders slightly over the bar, and the bar touching your shins. You also don't want your knees shooting over the bar.

Matugi

Don't know why, but I had this impulse to jump off 5/3/1 BBB and go back to Starting Strength today. Well, not really go back as I've never done the program proper. I started doing a haphazard full body split, followed by Madcow, followed by 5/3/1, and even though I've made some okay progress I'm not anywhere I want to be strength-wise. My squats and deadlifts are seriously lacking compared to my bench and press. Decided I would remedy that and start anew. I've been through some tough shit (illnesses and injuries) over the past year, all of which haven't helped with progress, but I think really focusing on the major lifts will help me accomplish my strength goals.

Anyway, I began running SS today. Would you say I deloaded too little/too much/just enough? I went based off my current 5-rep maxes:

Bench 180x1x5 to 135x3x5
Squat 195x1x5 to 135x3x5
Deadlift 250x1x5 to 190x3x5
Press 115x1x5 to 85x3x5

Never done power cleans so I'm just starting with the bar I think.

Good idea/bad idea?

Wish me luck!

I think you deloaded fine. I've read that you want to deload to ~60% of your max, give or take, for five reps so the progression maintains it's linearty and you don't stall too early. That being said, I'm not sure if SS is the program for you or if you'd be better off with a 5x5 program.

Butt up more, but you don't want your back parallel with the floor. You want your shoulders slightly over the bar, and the bar touching your shins. You also don't want your knees shooting over the bar.

I always strive to get into this position but can never quite manage it... I think I severely lack the flexibility. It's a major pain in the ass, so I'm working on stretches as much as possible to try and improve this.

SeanR1221

I always strive to get into this position but can never quite manage it... I think I severely lack the flexibility. It's a major pain in the ass, so I'm working on stretches as much as possible to try and improve this.

I think if you have the basics down, you're good. That picture has a person with the ideal limb length and leverages I'd imagine

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Confirmed T-Rex arms. I have to get the sleeves for the tux taken down when I go in later this week to pick it up.

All I hear is you bitching about being built genetically superior for the bench press. Glass half full sir!

SeanR1221

It's always kind of a shame when you see someone squat 135 and barely hit depth.

Then it gets worse when they throw on 225.

Then even worse at 275.

And 315 their ass is in orbit.

There should be a big ego check box at the entrance

Pakoe

Crosspost from instagram, only 2kg difference but it's almost black magic what upping your carbs can do (at least for me). Guess i'll have to keep the extreme low carb for a cut, and eat somewhat normal in a bulk.
You learn something every day.

Also I don't have dark spots on my body, it's just a dirty mirror lol.

Have an odd knot in one of my calf muscles after leg day. Plenty of hydration. This ever happen to you?

Foamroll!
I try to always do it after a heavy day of lifting.

agrajag

Banned

Yeah, I think my arms just aren't long enough to get into the perfect position.

It's always kind of a shame when you see someone squat 135 and barely hit depth.

Then it gets worse when they throw on 225.

Then even worse at 275.

And 315 their ass is in orbit.

There should be a big ego check box at the entrance

lol there's 3 DYEL dudes at my gym that come in and do the worst squats I've ever seen. First guy throws on 2 plates and does 1 squat while going an inch down. He continues to just keep throwing on more plates and never hits anywhere near parallel. The next slightly smaller guy gets under it and at least makes the attempt to try and go down but always ends up getting stuck and having to have the spotter bars stop him. You would think he would then lower the weight but NOPE he just keeps trying to do weight that he can't

Fury Sense

Hey FitGAF, looking for workout advice.

I'm a skinny dude. I run 2-5 miles daily and do ab ripper x from p90x every other day. I can flex to see roughly a 4-pack of abs.

I determined that I want to strengthen my upper body, and aesthetically, I want my chest muscles to stick out farther than my stomach when I'm relaxed.

Sounds simple enough, but I only want to do weightless/bodyweight exercises.

Right now my best idea is pushups+pullups+dips. What else can I and should I do?

CrankyJay

Banned

I'm a skinny dude. I run 2-5 miles daily and do ab ripper x from p90x every other day. I can flex to see roughly a 4-pack of abs.

I determined that I want to strengthen my upper body, and aesthetically, I want my chest muscles to stick out farther than my stomach when I'm relaxed.

Right now my best idea is pushups+pullups+dips. What else can I and should I do?

I just can't imagine you getting a bigger chest until you are doing some heavy weight lifting and eating a shitload and/or cutting down your running to actually build muscle.

Versace

Look up Convict Conditioning.

I just can't imagine you getting a bigger chest until you are doing some heavy weight lifting and eating a shitload and/or cutting down your running to actually build muscle.

There has been some research lately that suggests weighted push ups can be quite effective in buidling strength.

Cudder

Your muscles won't grow doing the same (low) weight every workout.

Go_Ly_Dow

hitting your chest effectively is very difficult to do with body weight exercises.

you need to do bench press, incline press to start out

Fury Sense

Quick responses, thanks guys. I'll check out Convict Conditioning, and take a look into my diet. For me, the aesthetics aren't a high priority as long as I can still build strength. I really want to build some good habits and be able to exercise anywhere any time without any equipment.

edit: I do want mass, but I don't really need too much. I'm just flatter than a... you know what I'll end that sentence there.

CrankyJay

Banned

Quick responses, thanks guys. I'll check out Convict Conditioning, and take a look into my diet. For me, the aesthetics aren't a high priority as long as I can still build strength. I really want to build some good habits and be able to exercise anywhere any time without any equipment.

edit: I do want mass, but I don't really need too much. I'm just flatter than a... you know what I'll end that sentence there.

Check back in case Brolic replies. I believe he was a runner at one point. He could shed some light on this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You totally should. Going to the gym and lifting weights is great and all, but don't listen to anyone who says you can't build muscle mass or gain a ton of strength just doing body weight stuff. As long as you do a proper progression program and aren't just doing bullshit like speed pushups and crunches, you can get proper ripped and strong as hell, all without having to worry about injuring yourself.

Sure, you won't look like Mr. Olympia, nor will you be deadlifting 700 lbs., squatting 500 lbs., or benching 400 lbs., but you can easily move onto training with weights once you've reached an advanced level with calisthenics. You'll be in a much better place to start, to boot.

Is it ok to work out with a slight hangover or headache?

Sure, why not? Depending on how heavy you're going, the strain may worsen your headache, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Do you guys use protein bars? Any recommendations, trying to find some I can snack on around regular meals.

Chocobro

Do you guys use protein bars? Any recommendations, trying to find some I can snack on around regular meals.

The regulars here like Quest Bars. I have no clue if they still eat them because I haven't seen a Quest Bar post ever since the Quest protein chips came out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Quest bars are popular for sure, although there's some litigation surrounding it that I think hasn't been resolved.

Honestly, the better idea would simply be to eat better meals, though. Personally, I can't understand why people plan to snack.

MBR

Banned
Yeah, I see. Not parallel, but more angled toward the floor than I currently am. Thanks. I have DL's tomorrow and will record and watch em, might upload that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom