• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yea the angle is fucked (I propped my phone on top of 2 plates) but I have a low bar setup with the bar on my rear delts. I wish I had those phone tripods so that I don't have to deal with struggle angles. I will probably record my last set of 5+ squats tomorrow to see if my form still holds up and to pull the bar further down as you suggested

It's not that you pull the bar down further, it's that you pull the bar into yourself instead of pushing on it. It's a hard cue to learn and I'm just starting to get it right.

Bring it Supes fans.

V8w6s7J.jpg

it hurts my discs just watching it
Tell me about it <_<, I am pretty sure my last week one was better because it didn't really affect my lower back at all, but I defiantly felt it in my lower back after this lift. That's why I decided to post it got to get the tough love from people who know more then me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wufei you really should get a Red Lantern onesie and cosplay as Atrocitus. You've arrived.

It's not that you pull the bar down further, it's that you pull the bar into yourself instead of pushing on it. It's a hard cue to learn and I'm just starting to get it right.
Shit well thanks for the description I'll definitely practice on how to learn to do that

man squats and deadlifts have so many cues to learn that its sometimes hard to keep up

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shit well thanks for the description I'll definitely practice on how to learn to do that

man squats and deadlifts have so many cues to learn that its sometimes hard to keep up

All 3 lifts really do and they matter a lot as you "get up there." A main reason I missed 500lb squat was not cueing my head up and back into the bar or engaging my ass.

Matugi

Tell me about it <_<, I am pretty sure my last week one was better because it didn't really affect my lower back at all, but I defiantly felt it in my lower back after this lift. That's why I decided to post it got to get the tough love from people who know more then me.

I feel you. It was hurting my back that really forced me to face my ego and realize I didn't know fuck all about deadlifting. I went down in weight, reevaluated, and am slowly building it back up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well I mean, you know, Red Lanterns are the superior lantern corps...
msgAPAi.jpg

ILoveBish

less than 10% at 35g. I think on the days I run I should eat some bread or something before. The exhaustion is tremendous

What about endurance? That comes back too?

Well, I started back up again after going on vacation. It's been four days since i started again. And I think you're right. I do snack on dark chocolate almonds rarely and have a banana in my protein shake.

Yes, once you're fully keto adapted, everything is back to normal, if you eat at or above maintenance, you will have a ton of energy for the gym.

So I finally figured out how to do intermittent fasting....

When I work at night for 12 hrs I wont bring or consume any food. I'll have my 8 hr feeding window when I wake up after

GrapeApes

Anyone done lowcarb while muscle building?

My energy sucks.

I've been using quick sources of carbs like 30 minutes before working out. I tried to lift on my easy day without carbs and it was terrible. Couldn't complete my routine that day. Other than that I try to keep less than 50. I usually get ~30 on non workout days and ~50 on workout days.
I thought about this last year and then forgot to mention it soon enough, but thought I'd see if among FitGAF there were enough people interested in a Fantasy Football league. I don't bother with the GAF leagues where it is all "strangers", but among a somewhat competitive but fun community like this, I could see it being a good time.

Just feeling it out. I know at least a few guys here dabble.

I'd fuck with that.

Leeness

I contact my physiotherapist today. I haven't talked with her since March (I have had work physiotherapist for summer). She was so happy for me that she was crying. <3 She is so adorable and she has been the most motivating person in my life what comes to sports and working out (I told her that as well). She will also call me on Thursday to talk a bit more about my gym program. Also my pilates trainer commented to me today after the class that it seems that I have lost weight every time I see her. Definitely a good day today! :D

That's all awesome! :D

Thanks honey! I am definitely going to keep cutting and see where does it take me. Even though I need to say that after this around half a year cut it is starting to be though sometimes. I have noticed I do small cheats more often than I used to. When I go to UK for a holiday I might just take that week off or at least not be too tight about the diet and continue after it like it never happened. I think I need it.

Good that your leg is starting to be better! And also after that feasting in the wedding I am sure you will loads of energy to do your work outs! :D

If you need it, go for it! I'd say you've definitely earned it :)

Lmao...I did not work out today. :( the cold that tried to get me a couple of weeks ago is trying again. Last time I worked out when I felt like this I made myself so fucking ill that night so I'm not going to try again... Will sleep instead. :/ Only 8 more days to my trip and I'll be damned if I'm sick for it! Going to focus on getting well (hopefully that is tomorrow but I'm not going to force it).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Since we're critiquing deadlift form, any input on these? Only Sean commented on my form so far :(

Looks more or less okay. Can definitely improve your ass shoots up at times before lifting, you need to take the slack out of the bar. Other than that, hard to tell from angle.

agrajag

Banned
Looks more or less okay. Can definitely improve your ass shoots up at times before lifting, you need to take the slack out of the bar. Other than that, hard to tell from angle.

Thanks. I tried taking the slack out of the bar, but it seems I do it the very first rep, which is kind of hard to see in the video, and when I start doing the subsequent reps my mind forgets that cue. I'll concentrate on that. What's a good cue for your ass not to shoot up?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks. I tried taking the slack out of the bar, but it seems I do it the very first rep, which is kind of hard to see in the video, and when I start doing the subsequent reps my mind forgets that cue. I'll concentrate on that. What's a good cue for your ass not to shoot up?

Pulling slack out of the bar.

Arthos

Peanut butter has a lot of calories and they shoot when you eat it with oats, or fruit or breads. Add something to your milk to make it tasty, could be whey powder or peanut butter. You also need cheese.

What Vince said. Fast food can be a quick and dirty way to increase your calorie intake. Me personally, I would do that in moderation because I would feel like a fat fuck doing that every day. Try to buy meat in bulk and invest in a slow cooker and cook a lot of fucking stews.

fast food breddah

Haha, thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to mix some stuff and see what I do with it!

You're not "supposed to be" eating any pre determined amount of calories. Where did you get that from?

I was just throwing out a number but before yesterday I assumed 24/2500 calories was enough to bulk. Didn't realize I needed more and that it was most likely my maintenance.

Had the worst day at the gym today and was failing everything. Going to have to rest more and try again on Wednesday! Totally sucks failing a set with a weight I've been able to do before! ><

Haha, thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to mix some stuff and see what I do with it!

I was just throwing out a number but before yesterday I assumed 24/2500 calories was enough to bulk. Didn't realize I needed more and that it was most likely my maintenance.

Had the worst day at the gym today and was failing everything. Going to have to rest more and try again on Wednesday! Totally sucks failing a set with a weight I've been able to do before! ><

If you're failing reps make sure next time you're getting at least 8hrs of sleep. You also need to eat more food

Arthos

If you're failing reps make sure next time you're getting at least 8hrs of sleep. You also need to eat more food

Planning on fixing that last one. In regards to the sleeping - I have difficulty sleeping more than 7 hours. My body usually goes "Wake up!" after 6 1/2 hours. It really sucks.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So just out of curiosity, I checked how much I could move using the leg press today. I've been doing squats, but this was just to see what the difference was. I was actually kinda surprised. I can currently squat an unimpressive 150 lbs. for 3X5, and I was able to leg press 250 lbs. without really much effort. I could have done more but I was running late, so I don't know how high it would have gotten.

But here's my question. I know that you can "lift" so to speak, more on a leg press than doing a squat because it's on an incline and you have addition support, etc. But I didn't think the difference was that big. I was expecting a few dozen lbs. more than anything, not a 100 lbs. difference.

Is there a formula or anything that shows how much you're supposed to be able to do on a leg press compared to squats?

agrajag

Banned
So just out of curiosity, I checked how much I could move using the leg press today. I've been doing squats, but this was just to see what the difference was. I was actually kinda surprised. I can currently squat an unimpressive 150 lbs. for 3X5, and I was able to leg press 250 lbs. without really much effort. I could have done more but I was running late, so I don't know how high it would have gotten.

But here's my question. I know that you can "lift" so to speak, more on a leg press than doing a squat because it's on an incline and you have addition support, etc. But I didn't think the difference was that big. I was expecting a few dozen lbs. more than anything, not a 100 lbs. difference.

Is there a formula or anything that shows how much you're supposed to be able to do on a leg press compared to squats?

The range of motion is also limited on a leg press, and you're not using any stabilizer muscles since it's on a rail. Which makes it much easier.

No Love

Banned
Finally getting to the point where I'm almost ready to post progress pics. Last 3 months have had some amazing progress. Definitely the biggest and strongest I've ever been, and almost the most cut too. Gotta get dat 10% body fat percentage and match up with the GAF-beasts.

ldcommando

Banned

No idea if a formula actually exists but the general rule of thumb on most gyms is to jam the biggest ammount of 45 lbs plates available and do the exercise with the littlest rom possible.

Look at this video for a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKI5-ppcYEk

Fistwell

If the weight is on an incline, the portion of the weight not supported by the incline is: sin(angle) x weight, where "angle" is the angle the incline is making with the ground. At 90° (vertical), you'd get all the weight. At 45°, you'd get 0.7071 x weight. That's only the geometrical aspect of it, there are certainly other factors coming into play.

slash3584

Hello fitness GAF, this is my first time posting here.

I'm thinking about starting a workout regime to lose some extra pounds I'm carrying since forever and gain some muscle, and I would like some pointers about it.

I plan to go to the gym at least 4 times a week to do maybe 45-60 min of weight training (biceps,triceps,back,shoulders,etc) and then 20 min of cardio (because I fucking hate cardio).

Is this a good workout to burn fat / gain some muscle, or should I first try to do lots of cadio and then do some weight training to gain muscle?

Also, would you recommend doing HIIT instead of the usual cardio exercises?

Petrie

Banned
Started the FitGAF Fantasy Football League this morning! 14-team (probably end up being less but wanted to allow for as many members as possible) standard scoring. Draft tentatively set late in the evening on Labor Day. I wonder if we could get Evilore to put a TAG on the line for the winner. Since I know he does post here and such.

Shoot me a PM or quote me if you want in, as I'm not sure I should publicly post the invite link even if I will absolutely leave the league itself public!

Matugi

Started the FitGAF Fantasy Football League this morning! 14-team (probably end up being less but wanted to allow for as many members as possible) standard scoring. Draft tentatively set late in the evening on Labor Day. I wonder if we could get Evilore to put a TAG on the line for the winner. Since I know he does post here and such.

Shoot me a PM or quote me if you want in, as I'm not sure I should publicly post the invite link even if I will absolutely leave the league itself public!

I can definitely do late in the day on Labor Day. Sign me up.

Rich!

Yoooo

So, I was 14.2 stone in May. Got a gym membership, and worked hard for a month or so. Just spent three weeks in hospital where I had gym access too and a decent diet...

Now I am 13st. Yes!

SeanR1221

That's my wife's birthday, what time are you thinking?

If I have to auto draft it won't be the end of the world.

the bulk is back yall

from now all the way through the winter

Taco Bells Cantina Power menu is just awesome...it's really only two items, but I'm getting 28g of protein for under 500 calories as a friggin drivethrough item. It's not an amazing source of protein or anything--I can fix up a drink with that much protein with two hundred less calories after all, but its nice to be able to mix things up, especially with a busy schedule.

This is the first time I'm hitting a gallon of water a day since I've started lifting. I've made great gains over the last two years of lifting but literally none of that time was I getting even close to the right amount of hydration. I'm going with creatine and a gallon of water a day now and I suspect the results should be pretty massive.

Fucking pumped for my workout tonight. I've got my squat belt, dip belt/chain, grip hooks for shrugs, chalk, lets woooorrrrrrk

Faiz

Planning on fixing that last one. In regards to the sleeping - I have difficulty sleeping more than 7 hours. My body usually goes "Wake up!" after 6 1/2 hours. It really sucks.

I hear ya man, that's been a curse all my life. It's hard for me to sleep more than 7 hours on a good night. Then throw in the aforementioned two year old. He was good to me last night and slept 7:30 pm - 6am, but I still only got a little over seven.

Helps of you can take naps too but I've not been able to incorporate them into the rest of my day.

I am sure that a good cheat ones in a while is needed. :p

Any photos of that glorious veiny monster that you are/were? ;)

Its hard to get a good selfie in good lighting. I need someone snapping pics because it works out much better

Has anybody gotten blood work done and had elevated liver enzymes? I got a call from my doctor last night and she wanted me to go in for another blood test to make sure I don't have Hep C....this kinda bugged me out. She told me to not workout for a few days prior to the test because it can elevate the liver enzymes. The day I took the test I binge drank all weekend than worked out hard for 2-2/12 hours with a chest/bi than HIIT on treadmill. Also took some Jack3d and creatine. So I am hoping that this is the reason for the elevated liver enzymes.

14? Most I have ever done is 12. I'm interested regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom