• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 slices? How big are these slices?

They are actually smaller than the "usual" slices too. This is the bread:

Arnold_Product_Sliced_Specialty_StoneGround100WW_LG.png

I'd say the width is about 4 inches.

Chocobro

From what I understand in conventional setup your heels should be directly underneath your hip socket so your legs are straight up and down, which for me ends up being about 1.5 foot width of space.

Kind of like how on OHP setup, your forearms should be at 90' to the bar. If they are angled in or out you need to adjust to get them straight. Depending on how fat your quads/hamstrings are you need to adjust for the visual taper effect and imagine the line of your skeletal structure running under all that meat.

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I guess while I'm at it, is there anything I should fix in my deadlift? I'm still working my way back to my old 5 rep maxes prior to my 4-5 week break. Yesterday's DLs and last week's DLs with side angle. I actually started DLing with adiPowers just to try them out, I might stick with it.

freshair

I'm going to have to post a video of me deadlifting for a form check because I can't tell if I'm using my lower back to lift (incorrect) or if I just feel it in my lower back afterwards (correct?).

ILoveBish

Just 125g???? Shiet
I'm stuck at 135 on OHP and I've been eating close to 200g of carbs on lifting days

I did:

200lb ohp
255lb bench
455lb deadlift
380lb squat

On 17g net carbs a day. The carbs aren't everything. Food is fuel.

Anyone with 12+ size feet and is looking for weightlifting shoes, you can get the red adiPower from the adidas website for $140. If you sign up for their email list, you get an additional 15% off making it $119. Another steal.

Damnit, my shoe size has shrunk, size 13 used to be tight, now it's loose after losing so much fat. I've been meaning to go try on a pair of these shoes so when a deal comes I'll know what size to get, but been too busy. Where should I go to try them out?

You can do what some call micro bulk and cut. Since you are bulking, you bulk until you notice your abs are starting to leave and then you cut again. Then you repeat.

Yeah I could give this a go but would I gain strength this way too? I was originally planning on bulking till I hit 18% bf.

Also, how quick do you get up to your surplus calories?

Chocobro

Damnit, my shoe size has shrunk, size 13 used to be tight, now it's loose after losing so much fat. I've been meaning to go try on a pair of these shoes so when a deal comes I'll know what size to get, but been too busy. Where should I go to try them out?

adiPowers are true to size so if you know the size you wear of any Adidas shoes, the same size will fit you (this idea will also apply to Nike Romaleos). I went to a local store and tried on a random pair of recent Adidas shoes and size 8.5 was a nice snug, so I got the adiPowers in 8.5. Omar Isuf and another FitGAF member here recommended getting half a size smaller; so if I were to follow that piece of advice, I would have to get a size 8.
It is highly unlikely you are able to find a pair of weightlifting shoes in a store to try on and buy. The market isn't big enough for stores to have inventory of them; but with CrossFit being more "popular", who knows. It is usually people that does Olympic lifts would invest in a pair.

ILoveBish

adiPowers are true to size so if you know the size you wear of any Adidas shoes, the same size will fit you (this idea will also apply to Nike Romaleos). I went to a local store and tried on a random pair of recent Adidas shoes and size 8.5 was a nice snug, so I got the adiPowers in 8.5. Omar Isuf and another FitGAF member here recommended getting half a size smaller; so if I were to follow that piece of advice, I would have to get a size 8.
It is highly unlikely you are able to find a pair of weightlifting shoes in a store to try on and buy. The market isn't big enough for stores to have inventory of them; but with CrossFit being more "popular", who knows. It is usually people that does Olympic lifts would invest in a pair.

Fantastic. I'll go this weekend hopefully.

Pete Rock

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I guess while I'm at it, is there anything I should fix in my deadlift? I'm still working my way back to my old 5 rep maxes prior to my 4-5 week break. Yesterday's DLs and last week's DLs with side angle. I actually started DLing with adiPowers just to try them out, I might stick with it.
If they feel good I would say stick with your current setup. In my opinion you could sit back/down into them more and get your pelvis a little closer to the bar as I have been suggesting to Mr Oogie Boogie.

You both have a really high starting position, yours is a little more extreme. That's kind of more in line with a strict pendalay row starting position than a DL position in my experience, but again I skew the opposite and tend to need my butt lower to even get things started in the right direction.

I think the view at 3:30 on this video illustrates it the best. Your glutes travel forward and backward significantly more than they move up and down. Again, if it feels good and it works for you (trains the body parts you intend to) by all means, don't change it for me. Just what I am noticing! I think with the angles you have established you will be working your back significantly more than your glutes and hams.

Edit: as far as the shoes, I would suggest barefoot but if you like the heel then you like it, end of story! I also took a look at your squats and WOW those are outrageously quality. Great form, insane depth, kudos to you!

Also whoever runs the house music selection at your gym isn't too shabby. These two tracks are on my workout mp3 player as well!

Disclosure - Latch (feat. Sam Smith)

Sebastian Ingrosso & Tommy Trash - Reload "when you want to get off the ground, but gravity pulls you down" if that isn't a DEADLIFT anthem I don't know what the fuck is

Week 6 of starting strength complete!!
Awww yeee, great to see you back under the bar Sean!!!

SeanR1221

Thanks Pete. Happy to be back. It's amazing how quickly it all comes back.

Squaring 3x a week is getting though! Can't keep that up too much longer.

SaskBoy

Went to the gym for the first time in almost a year. So weak (but I was weak before) but I feel like my form was good. I did squat and bench press today, will do dead lifts and OHP on Saturday.

What's some good things to eat for breakfast before lifting in the morning? I just had some fruit today and I don't think it was enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Twinkie diet.

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Except it wasn't a Twinkie diet.

Some examples of what he ate:

November 12
Pumpkin Spice Donut
Coffee
Protein shake
Onion Rings
Steak
Broccoli
Macaroni and Cheese
Baked potato casserole
Dynasty Lychees
Baby carrots
Peanut butter cookies
2% milk

October 29
Hostess cupcake
Coffee
Sesame chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Egg roll
Chicken nachos
Broccoli
Lemon zingers
Kit Kat

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/11/16/the-twinkie-diet/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This guy shadow boxing next to me while I'm deadlifting is cracking me up. I almost lost it a couple times!

Sadetar

It seems I am late for the party! Time flies so fast these days even if I have been an extremely good girl. The fever is gone so I have been back to my normal working out routine this week. Yay! I also booked myself into a noobie yoga where we should go through five different yoga types one at a time. (I just noticed that I am going to miss the last session since I am in UK on that time though.) Hopefully the class will help me to decide what kind of yoga I would like to do in the future.

Now when the autumn is here I have also noticed I have been freezing extremely much. I haven't never before in my life had this problem. I was thinking am I getting a bit too little energy and added it a bit. Does anyone else know anything more about this? Should I just get used to it or should I get worried?

As a total sidenote I quite innocently walked into a store to buy make up cleansing gel and walked out with 200 euros shoes. They are knee high green combat boots and I would like to think they are quite rad. :p

On another note I am back to spamming pics so this is me after the pilates class this week. I think my legs are getting a bit leaner compared to what they used to be.
20140902_193541.jpg

FE, looking like a real beast there!

Thanks, got to go with that, works with so many shirts I bought recently.
Ooh! Pics! :p We (or at least I) demand photographic evidence of this!

Haha yeah, and there is only a couple of months between the pictures.
That is just mindblowing! Breathtaking job - but I am sure you are already aware of that. :D

Byyyyye FitGAF! Waiting for a plane. :)

Thank you for putting up with my neuroses and freak outs. I do really appreciate all the help you give and I do try and incorporate some of your advice even if you think I'm not.

See you all in two weeks!
OOooh!

I hope you have an epic trip! <3

Take loads of photos!

I'm going to add the program Cooper recommend above! I might be be able to do some of it on my trip too. Should be fun. I'll be walking lots too so nothing to worry about while I'm on my trip.
Hahah, I am not worrying that you would go wild - on the contrary loosening it a bit could be just good for you. :)

Hey guys, if you are looking for some new tshirts or tanks check out http://www.paragonfitwear.com/ I love the fit and feel of the shirts, so figured id give you a heads up (i am in no way affiliated with them.)

DB24C2CC-951E-4622-8D75-2F36B4374236_zpsgjnjfutd.jpg
F3336848-3992-4DAD-A03C-751C0B91B957_zpsyamlf9zb.jpg
I think everyone in here should start to use eenie meenie little shorts like you are. ;)

So I got a personal trainer about 2 months ago, after many months of trying to work out and doing shit.
Just remember your rest days, especially when you are just getting used to it.

All in all that sounds totally great though! Good luck with your journey and I am waiting to see some photos. :D

Wait until I upload a picture I took of a killer watch I'm going to recommend to everyone wearing nothing but tidy whiteys!!
That sounds very reasonable recommendation. I think everyone should try it out.
Ron-Swanson-is-excited.gif

Please don't you may put Sadetar in the grave.
Oh, it would be totally worth it!
Elf.gif

Bleepey

Why did no one tell me the salsa classes were filled with a surplus of hot girls? Hell why didn't I think of it. Tonnes of cuties there. Sure my time could be better spent hitting the treadmill or weights but still.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Should I do HIIT immediately after lifting? I'm gonna go ahead and try it tomorrow to see if I can keep up with this insanity.

Dany

Banned
I do HIIT every day before lifting. Thats what I read awhile ago.

Though I do it every other day since I can't maintain my energy from HIIT everytime.

Chocobro

If they feel good I would say stick with your current setup. In my opinion you could sit back/down into them more and get your pelvis a little closer to the bar as I have been suggesting to Mr Oogie Boogie.

You both have a really high starting position, yours is a little more extreme. That's kind of more in line with a strict pendalay row starting position than a DL position in my experience, but again I skew the opposite and tend to need my butt lower to even get things started in the right direction.

I think the view at 3:30 on this video illustrates it the best. Your glutes travel forward and backward significantly more than they move up and down. Again, if it feels good and it works for you (trains the body parts you intend to) by all means, don't change it for me. Just what I am noticing! I think with the angles you have established you will be working your back significantly more than your glutes and hams.

Edit: as far as the shoes, I would suggest barefoot but if you like the heel then you like it, end of story! I also took a look at your squats and WOW those are outrageously quality. Great form, insane depth, kudos to you!

Also whoever runs the house music selection at your gym isn't too shabby. These two tracks are on my workout mp3 player as well!

Disclosure - Latch (feat. Sam Smith)

Sebastian Ingrosso & Tommy Trash - Reload "when you want to get off the ground, but gravity pulls you down" if that isn't a DEADLIFT anthem I don't know what the fuck is

Thank you so much for your analysis, I really appreciate it. 1) I agree we have high hip position. I think it's just how it is after following Mark Rippetoe's steps and due to our morphology. One of these days, I should make some models with different limb lengths and see how different the DL setups would be (or maybe use some Google-fu). 2) I was DLing barefoot before, I liked it and here's how they looked if you are curious. My friend started DLing in Oly shoes so I decided to give it a try since last week. It felt about the same to me and it's more convenient to keep them on haha. 3) This is for my own curiousity and nothing else, but I was wondering how your end position will be after following this test by Dr. Stuart McGill (with your hands closer to the shins like where the bar is in a normal DL setup, not just below the knees as shown in the video).

Thanks for the squat compliment! It's after months of obsessively tweaking it to how it is now lol. I'm still not happy about them though, my bar path isn't as vertical as I would like. Sometimes I feel the weight shift close to around the balls of my feet and you can see that if you follow the bar path. But I'll just squat on and try not be obsessive about the details; as long as the weight is over my mid-foot at the bottom it should be OK.

The university gym music is whatever the students or (student) workers puts. We can plug in our own phone to the speaker to play our own music or play Pandora. Personally I don't really listen to it, I block it (and outside distractions) out and continue mentally visualizing my lifts and focus.

Sadetar

Bah, more squats for you. Don't lose your thighs. ;)
Hahah, ok sir. I will promise to work more with them.

I don't honestly want to lose thighs at all - I just want to burn of the excess fat and get the shape with tight muscles. :p

As a total sidenote I found couple shots of me while I am, it seems, browsing dah intrawebzies. I don't look as manly from behind as I thought, but then again my waist and ass are still lightyears away from where I would like them to be. They are quite interesting pics working out wise. Shame I don't have comparison photos from earlier on from behind. And even if I would actually have them, first of all I am fairly sure I wouldn't want my nude buttocks on the forums and secondly I am even more sure it wouldn't be particularly proper thing to do in general. But I definitely do have more waist than I did earlier this year. Yay!

Why did no one tell me the salsa classes were filled with a surplus of hot girls? Hell why didn't I think of it. Tonnes of cuties there. Sure my time could be better spent hitting the treadmill or weights but still.
Ooh. I think you hit a jackpot there my dear. Also yoga and pilates classes seem to be awesome places to see ridiculously hot chicks. University gym is swarming with sexy meat as well.

Azulsky

Now when the autumn is here I have also noticed I have been freezing extremely much. I haven't never before in my life had this problem. I was thinking am I getting a bit too little energy and added it a bit. Does anyone else know anything more about this? Should I just get used to it or should I get worried?

This was a big change for me too. I think I might have to invest in a nice jacket at this rate. I even notice it with general the air condition settings, makes my fingers chilled.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I do HIIT every day before lifting. Thats what I read awhile ago.

Though I do it every other day since I can't maintain my energy from HIIT everytime.

You must be a warrior or doing HIIT wrong. It honestly feels like 3 works outs done in one sitting.

Done properly HIIT should wreck you. I can't imagine doing it before lifting would be a particularly good idea.

It honestly destroys me to the point that I find it difficult to walk down a flight of steps, which is why I'm gonna try to do it after lifting. I don't have to deadlift tomorrow so I might have some energy in reserve for that extra push.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If I went longer sure, I do 10-15 minutes. Run and jog equal amounts of laps.

Hmmm, I do the same, 5 reps on a bike. I do 20 seconds max at 15 resistance and a 1:20 resting, wish I had more time to rest cause I'm dead. After the 5th one, I'm glad I don't have to do it again for a couple of days.

By max I mean you go so fast that you can't do it anymore after 20 seconds and need to rest to repeat.

You shouldn't be "running", you should be sprinting to the point where you can't move after.

I don't think you're doing hiit.

Yup. Most people utterly neglect the high intensity part of high intensity interval training. Try lifting weights after doing the Tabata or Gibala protocols. Not going to happen.

Dany

Banned
You shouldn't be "running", you should be sprinting to the point where you can't move after.

I don't think you're doing hiit.

I meant sprinting for two laps and jogging to recover for two laps. then go at it again. Should I literally sprint until i cannot and jog and try again? Isn't one purpose of HIIT is that it can be repeatable in sets?

Trust me, at the end of those 15 minutes i am done, it takes me a bit to get back into it but i do.

You shouldn't even be able to jog to recover realistically. Maybe it's different on a bike (I've never tried it running), but I can barely move my legs towards the end. I'm usually hunched over the handlebars weeping for the rest periods.

Do you mean 2 laps of an oval, as in 400 metre ones? If so we have different definitions of sprinting. Full on sprinting should leave you knackered long before that.

Personally HIIT is a difficult thing to define because everyone seems to have a different idea of how long or intense the sessions should be. Honestly i think as long as you're not just doing straight cardio it should be ok (even though i personally enjoy adding cardio into my routine).

Dany

Banned
Do you mean 2 laps of an oval, as in 400 metre ones? If so we have different definitions of sprinting. Full on sprinting should leave you knackered long before that.

Personally HIIT is a difficult thing to define because everyone seems to have a different idea of how long or intense the sessions should be. Honestly i think as long as you're not just doing straight cardio it should be ok (even though i personally enjoy adding cardio into my routine).

I do 400 metres hard sprinting and then 400 metres jog afterwards for 3 sets.

a lap at my gym is 1/8 miles. Its an intense session no doubt but I do it in addition of lifting weights

Man it feels nice to have pullups back in my routine again. I'm a bloated and gross 220 from my NYC vacation (should be about 210-213) but I was repping them out easily. Gonna have to switch to weighted pullups as I finish cutting.

My abs are starting to poke through despite the bloat though. can't wait.

This has been by far the slowest cut I've ever done. It was more of a recomp really. Usually with 2-3 months I can get down to single digits, but I've been taking my time this go around. That and I've cheated way more than usual.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man it feels nice to have pullups back in my routine again. I'm a bloated and gross 220 from my NYC vacation (should be about 210-213) but I was repping them out easily. Gonna have to switch to weighted pullups as I finish cutting.

My abs are starting to poke through despite the bloat though. can't wait.

This has been by far the slowest cut I've ever done. It was more of a recomp really. Usually with 2-3 months I can get down to single digits, but I've been taking my time this go around. That and I've cheated way more than usual.
Looking back I think my slow cut was by far my most satisfying and warranted my best results. Definitely takes laser like focus to get back on the your strict routine after so many cheats but each time you do you feel like you can accomplish anything!

Who has completely cut out alcohol from their life?

I'm thinking about quitting cold turkey for about until the end of the year to see how it will affect my performance/body composition. For the record I drink socially usually twice a week and get shitfaced probably at least twice a month.

ILoveBish

I'm thinking about quitting cold turkey for about until the end of the year to see how it will affect my performance/body composition. For the record I drink socially usually twice a week and get shitfaced probably at least twice a month.

I've had 2 or so drinks past 3 years. Easy to give up when you think about what is important to yourself.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You shouldn't even be able to jog to recover realistically. Maybe it's different on a bike (I've never tried it running), but I can barely move my legs towards the end. I'm usually hunched over the handlebars weeping for the rest periods.

BROTHER!!!! YOU FEEL THE SAME PAIN I DO!!!!

Its really easy to be honest. Instead of drinking beer I just take shots, its a lot less but probably even more harmful for gains. Luckily I rarely drink now.

I basically never drank. Recently i've started having the occasional drinks with my friends but it's very rare and i don't drink much. I'm a pretty funny and confident guy without drinking so i usually have a lot of fun without it. It's just never seemed necessary and the fact that it helps with my weight is just a bonus.

I'm a big real ale fan, so that's not going to happen. I don't drink like a student or anything, just the odd beer here and there. Never more than say, 4 bottles in a night (and that would probably be a heavy night for me).

Pakoe

After all these years of excessive drinking, i finally stopped 1,5 years ago. The hangovers were starting to get too much and seeing as it had major influence on my health and fitness it was the best thing to do. Also stopped smoking, which was basically what kept my hands full when i went out partying lol. This meant i had to stop partying all together, but it doesn't really bother me anymore. I'd rather be in the gym in the weekends in stead of at a party anyway.
Now i'm not gonna lie, i still do some drugs now and again (i'm from the netherlands, so it's legal) but that has absolutely no negative influence on me. If anything it helps in my bulk.

Go_Ly_Dow

24 and stopped drinking after new years.

Still a student too but never feel temped to get wasted. Will go out, socialize and happily enjoy a glass of coke.

Yea weed def isn't part of this purge.

Another factor into me cutting out alcohol is that even at 31 years old, my coworkers see me as this frat party boy who loves to drink. Fuck that noise

Bowser

I wouldn't say I have completely cut alcohol out of my life, but I have drastically reduced how much I drink. I would say I probably have no more than 3 drinks a week, where as back in my college days I was crushing as much as a 12-pack of shitty light beer as part of the "pregame" before heading out to bars lol

MrMuscle

I have never tasted alcohol. When growing up i did track & field and to me even as a kid, i didnt think alcohol and sports went together. Especially not the drinking culture we have here in Norway. So i stayed away from it completely. Being 35 now im sure it wouldnt hurt to drink a glass of wine now and then. But Im happy with water :)

Zero2kz

I have...for the most part. I sometimes would have 1-2 beers when eating out with some friends. Not always though, so it is usually once every 3 months. I always feel like shit afterwards, so it is getting more and more uncommon to drink for me.

grumble

You don't have to cut it out entirely. Having an occasional drink isn't bad for you or your fitness at all. Getting shitfaced is though.

keezy

The only time I drink is when I'm in Vegas. I'll have some wine when I'm out at a steakhouse. Other than that, I don't drink at all. I always feel like shit after. I don't see a point honestly.

You don't have to cut it out entirely. Having an occasional drink isn't bad for you or your fitness at all. Getting shitfaced is though.

I agree with this. I mean, alcohol isn't a big part of my life, but I probably have 1-2 drinks per month at some random social event (birthday dinner, weddings, etc). I usually try to factor the calories into my macros as best as possible on these occasions, but there aren't enough calories in two beers to really hurt me much either way as sparingly as I consume them.

CrankyJay

Banned

Sadly, I'm going on my annual guy's trip up to Toronto for the film festival and this is basically what my entire weekend will entail...movies, booze, food.

Cut starts Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom