• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Keep on it bro.

Have you had your testosterone medical stuff done yet?

Yes - I am low and have been receiving shots for 3 weeks. I've felt some sort of change, which is unusual, as most people it takes at least a month to feel a change but my energy level is through the roof, and it's been great.

Kinda been confusing as to where all this depression shit is coming from. But I'll be goddamned, I wake up at 2am and cry about shit, not even important shit. Like, a band I used to love whose singer died - sure, time to cry for a half hour about how sad life is. It's really concerning.

I've been seeing a therapist as well but she's convinced I'm not depressed and going to be just fine. I just don't know. On 0 medication.

Jhriad

Also, is anyone here planning on playing Destiny on PS4? Figured id ask seeing as it is a game forum. Would be nice to have someone to team up with now and then with the same interests. My PSN is TheMrMuscle, go ahead and add me if you like.

PSN ID: Jhriad

I'll be on a lot I'm sure. Everyone please add me as well. :)

rokkerkory

Ate 2 medium sized bowls of white rice today (for first time in weeksss). Felt weird afterwards, super duper full and stuffed and uncomfy.

I dun like white rice at all.

Astral

Well that would depend on ur overall weight right?

2lbs off 120lbs at 12% would be noticeable

Oh yeah my bad. I'm 128. It's low as shit but I wanted to cut as much fat as possible before I started a slow bulk. 126 is as low as I'm willing to go though.

J. Bravo

Yes - I am low and have been receiving shots for 3 weeks. I've felt some sort of change, which is unusual, as most people it takes at least a month to feel a change but my energy level is through the roof, and it's been great.

Kinda been confusing as to where all this depression shit is coming from. But I'll be goddamned, I wake up at 2am and cry about shit, not even important shit. Like, a band I used to love whose singer died - sure, time to cry for a half hour about how sad life is. It's really concerning.

I've been seeing a therapist as well but she's convinced I'm not depressed and going to be just fine. I just don't know. On 0 medication.

maybe you're taking steroids in your sleep

Leeness

Destroyed one of the goals I had when I started working out! I know it's not much, but climbed to the top of Notre Dame (422 stairs up and down). Easy peasy.

JnlVEbJ.png

Sadetar

This was a big change for me too. I think I might have to invest in a nice jacket at this rate. I even notice it with general the air condition settings, makes my fingers chilled.
I feel you there. I have bought a new jacket and I definitely need to buy a new winter jacket as well. I am even thinking of investing to a new blanket. :p I guess I better just get used to this then.

I have never tasted alcohol. When growing up i did track & field and to me even as a kid, i didnt think alcohol and sports went together. Especially not the drinking culture we have here in Norway. So i stayed away from it completely. Being 35 now im sure it wouldnt hurt to drink a glass of wine now and then. But Im happy with water :)
Wow. That is refreshing to hear! I drink a glass of something occasionally around once or twice a year. I haven't never been drunk or anything though. I assume that Finnish drinking culture is quite much the same as in Norway - it annoys me sometimes that I need to explain to people why I am not drinking. Why on earth people who drink don't need to explain why they need to drink then too...

I also don't understand that why smart non smoking people turn into idiotic loud obnoxious smoking individuals when they drink.

Alcohol is awful, good on you for dropping it. I was never much of a drinker, the last time I was intoxicated was two years ago. I haven't had a single drink since then and I actively avoid it along with carbonated beverages. For me the more annoying part about hanging out around bars would be the constant cigarette breaks. I can't even stand next to someone who just had one, let alone stand in their circle while they are actively smoking. No fucking way. Not now, not ever.
<3 I think we need to get married.

GAF, could use your advice.

I'm male, age 29, 6'1". About a year ago, I was a solid 180-190lbs, and had been for nearly 10 years.

After a horribly indulgent summer and nearly a year at my first 'career' job (read: sedentary office setting, sitting all day, couldn't find time to work out properly, began eating like shit due to becoming too busy and being lazy), I hit 210 or so. Freaked me out. That was like a month ago.

I said, fuck it, I'm nearly 30, and made lots of changes. I was already eating decently (low amounts of junk, no pop, etc.), but decided to do even more: cut drinking beer down to 1-2x a week, stopped eating after 8pm whenever possible, cut tons of carbs out (still eating some, don't worry), upped my water intake, and began hitting the gym again (3-4x a week, 40 mins of cardio coupled with 30 mins. of beginner's weightlifting) with either a protein shake and/or a protein-focused dinner afterward.

A month later, I feel and look better, and am happy. But just weighed in today at 224 lbs. I'm gaining 2-3 lbs. a week. Is this really muscle and not fat?

I'm officially at the lowest end of 'obese' according to most BMI calculators, but that can't be right....right? People call me 'thin' for fuck's sake.

Is this normal at the start of a workout/diet change? Is my body taking a couple months to recalibrate itself, so to speak?

Is the most efficient way to quick/safe/healthy weight loss to up one's cardio?

I'm going to read over the OP to see if it answers some of my Q's, but wanted to post to start a discussion as well.

Thanks!
I don't know about things in general but when I started to work out more seriously it took me 2-3 months before the weight actually started to drop. After that the progress has been somewhat rapid and very satisfying.

Like said, just keep at it and do what makes you feel good!

Ummm... and any chances to get pics? :p

Destroyed one of the goals I had when I started working out! I know it's not much, but climbed to the top of Notre Dame (422 stairs up and down). Easy peasy.
:D That is so awesome to hear! Attagirl!

I am waiting to go to York Minster. It isn't as high as Notre Dame, but I am also planning to climb up to the tower that is 200 feet high. :) I better be in good enough shape to do that.

Poor babe. Hopefully it will get better when you stick with the shots. All the best of luck! You will get over it!

Go_Ly_Dow

Give it a few months and hopefully it does the trick.

Sounds like hormonal imbalance. May do the trick.

Force yourself to make the gym trip no matter what!

velociraptor

PLS HELP

my hands. my poor hands... broken skin everywhere

calluses everywhere

now i'm in medical school and i have to see and examine patients. however the fact many examinations involve touch is pretty bad for me. bacteria can harbour and reside in the broken skin/calluses

it's like whenever i pick up a barbell i get calluses. i tried wearing gloves but i'm not sure if they're making any difference. perhaps i should try better gloves instead of £5 gloves? lol

what can i do to make my skin baby smooth again? the roughness of my hands is bothering me greatly. there has been a time where I haven't lifted for an entire month and my hands are just as bad as eve.r

Yes, gloves can make a big difference, but they have to fit properly. Straps too.

Beyond that though, all you can really do is file them and moisturise.

Imm0rt4l

My skin has gotten pretty tough from deadlifting without gloves. To be fair I haven't deadlifted anything over 500lbs in a while. I don't take any special kind of care of my hands really.

MrMuscle

PLS HELP

calluses everywhere

now i'm in medical school and i have to see and examine patients. however the fact many examinations involve touch is pretty bad for me. bacteria can harbour and reside in the broken skin/calluses

it's like whenever i pick up a barbell i get calluses. i tried wearing gloves but i'm not sure if they're making any difference. perhaps i should try better gloves instead of £5 gloves? lol

what can i do to make my skin baby smooth again? the roughness of my hands is bothering me greatly. there has been a time where I haven't lifted for an entire month and my hands are just as bad as eve.r

Are you sure you are gripping the bar correctly? Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

velociraptor

Yes, gloves can make a big difference, but they have to fit properly. Straps too.

Beyond that though, all you can really do is file them and moisturise.
I guess gloves that fit true to size are better than oversized gloves, right?

Filing has made the calluses on my hands worse.

Far better that they fit properly, otherwise they tend to microfold and make things worse. Most here will tell you to just let your hands toughen up though... which is not something I ever really went for.

_Isaac

So what is AMRAP exactly? I think it stands for As Many Reps As Possible, but isn't that a little dangerous? I assume you just keep going until you fail, but I imagine that'd be weird on something like a bench press where you're stuck under the bar. Do you always do AMRAP with spotters?

Gintamen

PLS HELP

calluses everywhere

You can always try using moisturizing cream after the workout. Keeps my hands nice and soft. I use foam grips or folded paper used to wipe away the sweat from cardio machines on back days, helps with the pain, weight and calluses. :D Or those ones.

Pete Rock

To those of you with Thera-canes or similar implements: Any specific recommendations?
I love the Body Back Buddy, used it every morning for about two years now. I find it most beneficial hooked behind your shoulder from the top, from under/around your lats, and then into the lower part of the traps/lats and the back erectors near your mid/low back. The little nibs along the inside and outside of the S curve also come in surprisingly handy. I tend to use the pointy oval end more often than the smaller circle end, although it lets you get in tighter places, it doesn't protrude as deeply.

So what is AMRAP exactly? I think it stands for As Many Reps As Possible, but isn't that a little dangerous? I assume you just keep going until you fail, but I imagine that'd be weird on something like a bench press where you're stuck under the bar. Do you always do AMRAP with spotters?
Whenever I bench heavy (like an untested 3 x 5 or amrap) I have a spotter on that last set, for sure. The point is to attempt as many reps as you can possibly complete in a safe manner without hurting yourself. When your form breaks down to the point where pushing the rep is counter productive to development is when I tend to quit, but that is generally something I only feel is really intense on OHP because that is my weakest and the hardest to "keep it together" for me personally. Squats and deadlifts always felt no pressure because you can easily dump it safely at all times, same on bench because you have a spotter.

Are you sure you are gripping the bar correctly? Check this out:
Yep that technique has saved my hands. No gloves no problems.

Chocobro

Yes, that's what it stands for. I'll just copy and paste an excerpt from Izzy's review of Greyskull Linear Progression program (a program that uses AMPRAP).

...on the third set, you&#8217;re going to do as many reps as possible (AMRAP). On these AMRAP sets, you&#8217;re supposed to stop when you&#8217;re sure the next rep will result in either dangerous technique or a failed rep. For powerlifting purposes, I never recommend training to failure. It erodes confidence and leads to bad technical habits. That said, with practice, you&#8217;ll be able to stop right when the next rep would be failure. Getting used to reading RPEs will go a long ways towards helping you integrate autoregulation into your training when you&#8217;re an intermediate.
RPE = Rated Perceived Exertion

_Isaac

I love the Body Back Buddy, used it every morning for about two years now. I find it most beneficial hooked behind your shoulder from the top, from under/around your lats, and then into the lower part of the traps/lats and the back erectors near your mid/low back. The little nibs along the inside and outside of the S curve also come in surprisingly handy. I tend to use the pointy oval end more often than the smaller circle end, although it lets you get in tighter places, it doesn't protrude as deeply.

Whenever I bench heavy (like an untested 3 x 5 or amrap) I have a spotter on that last set, for sure. The point is to attempt as many reps as you can possibly complete in a safe manner without hurting yourself. When your form breaks down to the point where pushing the rep is counter productive to development is when I tend to quit, but that is generally something I only feel is really intense on OHP because that is my weakest and the hardest to "keep it together" for me personally. Squats and deadlifts always felt no pressure because you can easily dump it safely at all times, same on bench because you have a spotter.

Yep that technique has saved my hands. No gloves no problems.

Yes, that's what it stands for. I'll just copy and paste an excerpt from Izzy's review of Greyskull Linear Progression program (a program that uses AMPRAP).

RPE = Rated Perceived Exertion
That's a smart way of looking at it. Thanks, guys. That's very helpful. Unfortunately, I always go alone, so getting a spot is going to be a bit of a pain.

Anybody using a protein powder that they think tastes fairly good?

I bought this kind
3a74ebe4f5.png

last time and it tastes pretty bad, although I'm able to get it down. I also tried the vanilla flavored kind of the same brand and it was even worse lol.

Any recommendations? I need to order again soon and I've been trying random 2 lb containers to try to find one that tastes decent (if that even exists).

Pete Rock

I've been meaning to put this together for a while now. Here is a collection of all the tools I have found to be incredible for recovery. I can't even refer to them as "valuable" because to me they are priceless, I use them every morning in conjunction with yoga practice. Inversion Table with Boots, Body Back Buddy, 8' D-Ring adjustable strap, foam blocks, The Stick and all Rumble Roller products. Only thing not pictured is my yoga mat which I stand on when at my laptop desk and not actively practicing.

<3 I think we need to get married.
As long as you can imagine exchanging vows under the squat rack, committing to a hard-bodied liquid-motion dance-machine lifestyle until death do us part, then I think we'll do just fine (;

Happy weekend! Fasted all day yesterday, stayed up raging throughout the night and finished this morning at 8AM with a chicken fried steak, hash brown and scrambled egg dish with three pancakes for dessert. With boysenberry syrup. Gearing up to kill a large pizza covered in mayonnaise and hot sauce later tonight with a friend. Awwww yeee. Life is amazing! Thanks for inspiring me to be a little less uptight and enjoy myself on the diet front MrMuscle!

I bought this kind
3a74ebe4f5.png

last time and it tastes pretty bad, although I'm able to get it down. I also tried the vanilla flavored kind of the same brand and it was even worse lol.

Any recommendations? I need to order again soon and I've been trying random 2 lb containers to try to find one that tastes decent (if that even exists).

I use GNC Whey Gold Standard. It's fairly expensive but it blends well with milk or water. Taste is okay but you don't have any issues with lumps.

Can anyone recommend a tasteless whey protein to put into juice or Gatorade?

I've been meaning to put this together for a while now. Here is a collection of all the tools I have found to be incredible for recovery. I can't even refer to them as "valuable" because to me they are priceless, I use them every morning in conjunction with yoga practice. Inversion Table with Boots, Body Back Buddy, 8' D-Ring adjustable strap, foam blocks, The Stick and all Rumble Roller products. Only thing not pictured is my yoga mat which I stand on when at my laptop desk and not actively practicing.

As long as you can imagine exchanging vows under the squat rack, committing to a hard-bodied liquid-motion dance-machine lifestyle until death do us part, then I think we'll do just fine (;

Happy weekend! Fasted all day yesterday, stayed up raging throughout the night and finished this morning at 8AM with a chicken fried steak, hash brown and scrambled egg dish with three pancakes for dessert. With boysenberry syrup. Gearing up to kill a large pizza covered in mayonnaise and hot sauce later tonight with a friend. Awwww yeee. Life is amazing! Thanks for inspiring me to be a little less uptight and enjoy myself on the diet front MrMuscle!
tried that once.
all it felt was blood rushing to my head than my back getting better

Enfinit

I bought this kind

I've been using this stuff, and it's unbelievably delicious. Like it actually tastes really good, if you're into chocolate milkshakes.

image_24374_original_X_450_white.jpg

It's also surprisingly cheaper than most other proteins, and (from what I've seen) it offers more protein per serving than its competitors. It's a triple whammy.

I've been using this stuff, and it's unbelievably delicious. Like it actually tastes really good, if you're into chocolate milkshakes.

http://store.bbcomcdn.com/images/store/prodimage/prod_24374/image_24374_original_X_450_white.jpg[img]

It's also surprisingly cheaper than most other proteins, and (from what I've seen) it offers more protein per serving than its competitors. It's a triple whammy.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it probably mixes very well with milk I'm assuming, which is what I usually mix with. It seems a bit pricey on Amazon compared to some other brands but it looks like it was mostly being sold by third party sellers which could have something to do with it.

SeanR1221

So my jeans feel the most snug they ever have, and my belt I wear around my waist is on the last hole.

But my weight lifting belt is on the second hole (for context, at my lightest I had it down to the third hole, at my heaviest, it just barely reached the first and I thought Id need to get a new belt.

So my weight belt feels quite good, but jeans tighter and my pants belt tighter.

Now, I tend to wear my weight belt a little higher, with the middle going across my belly button, and I wear my jeans a little lower.

I admit, I've been eating a good bit to keep up with SS, especially all the squatting, but nothing TOO crazy. between 2600-2800 calories a day, around 75g of fat, 300 g of carbs, 200g of protein. Usually I'm pretty close to that.

Maybe I'm just getting fatter than I think? Scale isn't moving in any crazy directions, I dunno. Or maybe my ass and legs are just growing more?

Enfinit

Hmm, it probably mixes very well with milk I'm assuming, which is what I usually mix with. It seems a bit pricey on Amazon compared to some other brands but it looks like it was mostly being sold by third party sellers which could have something to do with it.

I use milk the majority of the time, however it surprisingly doesn't taste much different when used with water. Just the consistency really changes.

I've never bought it online, I actually pick it up at my local Walmart. It's usually around $20 for a five-pound can.

damn all that shit looks like it would feel so dayum good

I told you guys I don't mess around! My portion of this meal was 9 slices and 7 doughnuts.

mmmmmmmmm

keezy

image_24374_original_X_450_white.jpg

It's also surprisingly cheaper than most other proteins, and (from what I've seen) it offers more protein per serving than its competitors. It's a triple whammy.

ISO-100 is excellent. By far my favorite protein.

ILoveBish

Finally back to the gym, took a week off. Got to my 185x5 on overhead press and just did the whole thing as singles and got all 5. With the cut I am on, I'm very happy I even got it 5 times. Since I no longer care about setting new pr's, been really dialing in form. Feels great and so glad to not have the stress and worry of having to hit a new high. Just lift baby.

Good to see you back from the ban brother. Keep strong, eat plenty. I hope you are not still cutting calories, you should be eating plenty and lifting heavy. You are going to be the best you've ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom