• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
today something cool happened to me..one guy was teaching another guy how to do squats in the power rack. I come in and ask how long they'll take they say 10 minutes, I wait.

they finish and the trainer asks what I am going to do I say OHP.. the guy asks if his buddy can work in, I said "sure". I warm up and they were staring at me, like, I was going to show the newb how to do an OHP... I was very uncomfortable, I can't teach shit to anyone. and specially OHP, which gave me a 6 month injury due to bad form (way too wide grip, which I've changed ever since)

I start doing my reps and the trainer starts saying "see, that's how it's done, great extension, perfect path upward from the bar, blablabla"

I was like "ooooh shut up, lol you make me blush". hahahaha

^_^

:D

By the way, what's "working in"? I hear it mentioned all the time, but I don't really do public gyms so I've never had a chance to work it out in the real world.

:D

By the way, what's "working in"? I hear it mentioned all the time, but I don't really do public gyms so I've never had a chance to work it out in the real world.

Taking turns sharing a common item (like a bench or squat rack). Taking turns doing sets basically. Can be fine but if one person wants to OHP and one wants to squat it can take awhile to unrack and rerack weight.

Sadetar

today something cool happened to me..one guy was teaching another guy how to do squats in the power rack. I come in and ask how long they'll take they say 10 minutes, I wait.

they finish and the trainer asks what I am going to do I say OHP.. the guy asks if his buddy can work in, I said "sure". I warm up and they were staring at me, like, I was going to show the newb how to do an OHP... I was very uncomfortable, I can't teach shit to anyone. and specially OHP, which gave me a 6 month injury due to bad form (way too wide grip, which I've changed ever since)

I start doing my reps and the trainer starts saying "see, that's how it's done, great extension, perfect path upward from the bar, blablabla"

^_^
tumblr_lme7z9Imgt1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Hahah, that is awesome! :D No need to be too modest - you are starting to get fangirls. ;)

sphinx

the piano man
I will do some OHP form-check video for fitgaf to check,, I think they were overestimating what I was doing.

Not to sell myself short but OHP is not my forte.., high bar squat I can do decently, there I would probably, maybe, dare speak out my opinion or give advice, and only if I am absolutely certain something has to be changed and I know how to explain it.

I respect (real) certified trainers way too much to pretend I am at their level.

Right, you guys can have some endurance related success for once! Far too much pure brawn in this thread. :p

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day One Complete

Today was a two parter, thankfully with an easy warmup... nothing compared to the crushing misery that some of the other days will bring.

Grunter von Agony wants a classy peloton this year, so Elements of Style sets riders up with the form, efficiency and style critical to 9 days in the saddle. And then The Long Scream rips it to pieces with a 30 minute time trial through the Sufferlandrian flatlands.

Part One - Elements of Style
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1538177-Sufferfest-Elements-of-Style

Not a lot to say about this one. Mostly form drills, nothing too challenging.

Part Two - The Long Scream
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1538380-sufferfest-the-long-scream

Far more like the usual Sufferfest fare. In pain within 10 minutes and then dealing with it for the rest of the ride. Pretty much just under the limit of what's rideable for that sort of timescale. Leg DOMS from Wednesday's leg day hurting like hell, but thankfully my heart and lungs are feeling great so I was able to manage the opening and smash it at the end. Showing loads of records, but sadly that's a glitch. I'm fairly certain I beat my 30 minute power output PR though.

8 days to go, and it only gets harder from here. Tomorrow I do the prescribed ride, and I'm going to throw arm day on top of it... because why the fuck not.

\o/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have said this once and I will say it again: give them time! First time I was like meh, second time it was ok and now when I have destroyed nearly a whole package I am thinking I definitely need to order more of them. So S'mored and Cookie Dough are now my favourites. <3
I bought 2 boxes! I think that's a large enough sample size. Just not my favorite. I taste coconut for some reason and I hate coconut.

sphinx

the piano man
Sadetar, I know you are part of Fitgaf's europe team,

where do you buy Quest bars? are you paying a big premium to get them?

I am still considering getting them from their online store but price is kinda sorta steep.

^_^

Since you're super pro at OHP, you can help me out. =D

So how do you determine your grip width? I'm trying to keep my forearms perpendicular to the bar, but I never have any idea where that is exactly and I probably fiddle around with it too long for my own liking. I also want to make sure for the sake of keeping unnecessary stress off my elbows since they're injured right now.

sphinx

the piano man
Since you're super pro at OHP, you can help me out. =D

So how do you determine your grip width? I'm trying to keep my forearms perpendicular to the bar, but I never have any idea where that is exactly and I probably fiddle around with it too long for my own liking. I also want to make sure for the sake of keeping unnecessary stress off my elbows since they're injured right now.

as stated in Starting Strength, 3rd edition page 81, just outside shoulders.

some things I try to keep in mind are:

.- avoid overarching your back (excessive layback), if that happens that a sign you are reaching your max and form is taking a hit.
.- make sure bar starts at chest height and your arms are fully extended when the bar is up, anything else is half-assing it, which is bad.

buy the book, it really helps alot, everything is there, very clear

also post videos and fitgaf will make sure to help.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
as stated in Starting Strength, 3rd edition page 81, just outside shoulders.

buy the book, it really helps alot, everything is there, very clear

I can't echo this enough. You'll reduce a lot of injury risk if you follow the book. I used to wing it and have gotten hurt on both squat and bench press.

Not worth it, do the warm-up sets too.

Speaking of Smith Machines... I stopped doing standard BB shrugs because there was no safe way for a person of my height to do heavy shrugs in a squat rack. The catchers/rests are too high to let the bar rest low enough in my hands. So I have been doing them in the Smith.

Today I saw my friend, who's my height, doing them in the squat rack. Then I saw he was standing on a stand to help him get the weight far enough above the rack to do the lift.

I feel like an idiot now.

Imm0rt4l

So I just hit 315x8 on bench.

Dafuq

Thoughts:
1.Weights aren't calibrated
2. I took 2 consecutive days off from the gym
3. I'm carbed up like a motherfucker
4. The bar I used today isn't one I'm used to. The others are thicker.

leakey

Congrats dude, damn. I just hit 155lbs doing 5x3 today. Finally getting the gripping/bending the bar thing down. Arms feel great.

BumRush

Dafuq

Thoughts:

Really impressive dude. How big are you?

Cooter

Really impressive dude. How big are you?
He's a bad man. About 195-200.

It's obvious to me Imm0rt4l you were using a 15lb bar so don't go getting a big head. Nonetheless you never cease to impress me. Nice work.

Sadetar

Sadetar, I know you are part of Fitgaf's europe team,

where do you buy Quest bars? are you paying a big premium to get them?

I am still considering getting them from their online store but price is kinda sorta steep.
I don't know is it proper for me to throw around links, but I use iHerb. I order a punch of stuff from there and compared to Finland everything is cheap (even after customs).

You can find their selection from here, if you are interested.
Also if you want, I can throw you a code that will give you 5/10 dollars out of your first order depending how much you spent. (You can find millions same kind of codes online, but mine will give me benefits and others won't... Just being honest.) :D

I have used that place for ages and everything has worked brialliantly well.

I have also once ordered from their own site when there was the sales after black Friday, but generally I have calculated that it is cheaper to get it from iHerb.

I bought 2 boxes! I think that's a large enough sample size. Just not my favorite. I taste coconut for some reason and I hate coconut.
Hahah, ok, that should be enough to do the trick... and coconut? What I taste is more like cinnamon. That is odd.

SeanR1221

Dafuq

Thoughts:

Nice mang.

Do you like a thicker bar for bench? I've always preferred a thinner one.

Yuck. Ok I read the myFitnessPal app wrong. I need 500 calories, 130 grams of carbs.

Given that 130g of carbs would equal ~533kcal... nothing. It's not possible. :p

That aside, potato? Short of sugars and the like there's very little out there that's pure carbohydrate. Most stuff has some protein in it.

I suggest not worrying and just getting some carb heavy calories in (rice, pasta, oats, tapioca etc).

RoeBear

Damn I just got to say I love opinions. One guy is telling me man you really need to get leaner you'd look a lot better. Then proceeds to start mentioning physique pros. I still haven't done any competitions.

Then a coworker, who's nationally qualified asks if I'm doing the show next weekend saying all I need to do is cut water. The show is probably going to be pretty small, but still wouldn't enter.

Got up to 100x8 on dumbbell shoulder press today so I celebrated with a selfie. And I hit 203.5 in weight!

Imm0rt4l

Mirin Roe

Nice mang.

Do you like a thicker bar for bench? I've always preferred a thinner one.
I like the thinner one. I'm not sure if makes it easier but it seems to be the case as it creates slack.

Speaking of which is that what the difference is between a regular bar and a deadlift bar? I train a commercial gym so i just assumed that they're all standard.

It's obvious to me Imm0rt4l you were using a 15lb bar so don't go getting a big head. Nonetheless you never cease to impress me. Nice work.
Haha

Definitely something funky going on with the weights today for sure. Maybe the others are texas bars?

Szu

Makes sense to me. That means he did 285 lbs. Disappointing, he should turn in his Immortal card.

RoeBear

Fuck em up RoeBear.

Yeah a big motivation for me lately has been these high school tools that have been coming to the gym lately. saw them all swinging 50 lb dumbbells for one arm curls today. They all follow an older guy who looks decent and does his form correctly on most everything, but he never corrects or helps them realize they can't do the weight.

Mirin Roe

I like the thinner one. I'm not sure if makes it easier but it seems to be the case as it creates slack.
Thanks man, means a lot.

We have thin ones at our gym and I hate squatting with them cause they don't have big ridges like most squat bars.

SeanR1221

Mirin Roe

Speaking of which is that what the difference is between a regular bar and a deadlift bar? I train a commercial gym so i just assumed that they're all standard.

Haha

Definitely something funky going on with the weights today for sure. Maybe the others are texas bars?

Dunno, I'd assume thinner? Maybe the knurling is different?

---

Roe, looking fantastic man. Definitely ranking up there with the aesthetic fit Gaf crew

ILoveBish

Roe you seriously look incredible. I don't think I have the cooter style genetics to have a body like that when all said and done.

Also mirin immortal.

Fitgaf is really going places, damn.

Cooter

Roe you seriously look incredible. I don't think I have the cooter style genetics to have a body like that when all said and done.

Also mirin immortal.

Fitgaf is really going places, damn.
Haha. Cooter style? That's a new one.

Dude Roe. Trapmaster Jr. Those things are a sight to behold! Looking great. 203 and that lean? Shit. How tall are you again?

RoeBear

Haha. Cooter style? That's a new one.

Dude Roe. Trapmaster Jr. Those things are a sight to behold! Looking great. 203 and that lean? Shit. How tall are you again?
6 foot. Even though I decided not to do the show next week, I still kept dieting like I was, just with more carbs around 400/450. And I hit traps hard today, cause my workout partner gave me the all clear. Before he had told me they were too unbalanced for my shoulders lol.

Mr. X

Last night went up in weight on deadlifts and squats. Lunges, leg extension, leg curl all lower than normal afterwards but they're all addons right?

Happy my legs arent super tight/stiff.

SeanR1221

Haven't benched in 5 months. Shoulder still feels iffy. That said, I'm not pushing bench hard anyway, it's just an accessory for my log press. Gonna do paused bench for a while. Did an easy 5 at 315 paused today.

http://youtu.be/2GWKKCLEzo8

Looked awesome.

Yall seriously got me worried about the bar width. There's bar I don't like and do like for benching lmao

If you're worried weigh yourself holding the bar, then weigh yourself without the bar. Subtract the numbers and see what you get.

Last night went up in weight on deadlifts and squats. Lunges, leg extension, leg curl all lower than normal afterwards but they're all addons right?

Happy my legs arent super tight/stiff.

Very much addons to the point where if you're a beginner I wouldn't even sweat them.

3phemeral

Damn I just got to say I love opinions. One guy is telling me man you really need to get leaner you'd look a lot better. Then proceeds to start mentioning physique pros. I still haven't done any competitions.

Then a coworker, who's nationally qualified asks if I'm doing the show next weekend saying all I need to do is cut water. The show is probably going to be pretty small, but still wouldn't enter.

Got up to 100x8 on dumbbell shoulder press today so I celebrated with a selfie. And I hit 203.5 in weight!

Ese5sMO.jpg

You look absolutely amazing. I want to get somewhere close to this build.

SeanR1221

All done my first session with Steve. It was awesome. I'm in the pizza shop across the street now getting the "iron sport burger" (a pound of meat, an egg and an onion ring) but here are some quick things

- we squatted today. He brought my stance in. Put the bar almost between a high and low bar. Told me to stop squeezing my ass because it was creating tension and made me think I was deeper than I am. Told me to stop thinking in absolutes and as long as the foundations were there, just squat. I worked up to a really easy 315 and then did 275 x2x5

-Then we did glute bridges. Holy. Shit. These are intense. I'm definitely putting them in my
Programming.

- we finished with some glute ham raises.

- steves a real nice guy. Serious but nice. A lot of knowledge. We bullshitted for a little between sets and he had some great stories about his time with guys like Coan and Tate.

- no pictures. I didn't wanna come off as a fanboy.

- bought two shirts though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom