• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

danthefan

So guys, need some advice. I was doing Starting Strength and I've hurt my knee to the extent doing squats is now out of the question for the time being. They're sort of the most important part of the program so is it worth going on without them, is there some other program I can follow, will I get benefits from just doing upper body stuff?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All done my first session with Steve. It was awesome. I'm in the pizza shop across the street now getting the "iron sport burger" (a pound of meat, an egg and an onion ring) but here are some quick things

- we squatted today. He brought my stance in. Put the bar almost between a high and low bar. Told me to stop squeezing my ass because it was creating tension and made me think I was deeper than I am. Told me to stop thinking in absolutes and as long as the foundations were there, just squat. I worked up to a really easy 315 and then did 275 x2x5

-Then we did glute bridges. Holy. Shit. These are intense. I'm definitely putting them in my
Programming.

- we finished with some glute ham raises.

- steves a real nice guy. Serious but nice. A lot of knowledge. We bullshitted for a little between sets and he had some great stories about his time with guys like Coan and Tate.

- no pictures. I didn't wanna come off as a fanboy.

- bought two shirts though :)

That's awesome bud. Happy for you. What a great opportunity.

Definitely looks like you haven't benched in 5 months dude...jesus.

Very impressive.

Roe, you look awesome brother

Thanks man, goes to show you don't lose it that much if you keep doing like exercises. I've still been overhead pressing and doing chest flys. Plus I was benching over 400 pretty easy before stopping due to shoulder issues.

Looked awesome.

If you're worried weigh yourself holding the bar, then weigh yourself without the bar. Subtract the numbers and see what you get.

Very much addons to the point where if you're a beginner I wouldn't even sweat them.

Thanks man.

Szu

Damn I just got to say I love opinions. One guy is telling me man you really need to get leaner you'd look a lot better. Then proceeds to start mentioning physique pros. I still haven't done any competitions.

Then a coworker, who's nationally qualified asks if I'm doing the show next weekend saying all I need to do is cut water. The show is probably going to be pretty small, but still wouldn't enter.

Got up to 100x8 on dumbbell shoulder press today so I celebrated with a selfie. And I hit 203.5 in weight!

Yeah definitely an opportunity I'm happy to have. It's crazy how knowledgable he is.

Now it's time for my Iron Sport burger

Awesome!!! Holy shit, that's a lot of beef.

Yeah, I'm talking to the both of you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That just looks too easy. Are you sure you were benching? Looks like you were taking a nap.

Lol. It was easy, however, my shoulder still feels very iffy. So I'm just slowly progressing. Doubt I'll even bother checking 1 rep max in the near or far future. Like I said, at is point bench is only there to help my log press.

Damn I just got to say I love opinions. One guy is telling me man you really need to get leaner you'd look a lot better. Then proceeds to start mentioning physique pros. I still haven't done any competitions.

Then a coworker, who's nationally qualified asks if I'm doing the show next weekend saying all I need to do is cut water. The show is probably going to be pretty small, but still wouldn't enter.

Got up to 100x8 on dumbbell shoulder press today so I celebrated with a selfie. And I hit 203.5 in weight!

beastly

That reminds me.

Once I went to GNC and bought a box of quest bars and the lady was like "well if you sign up for a card I can knock ten bucks off your purchase and drop the box of bars from from 35 to 25." Quest bars are buy 3 get 1 free though so if you buy a box of 12 it pretty much comes out to 25. I told her that and she was said " I guess I can open the box and scan the bars individually if you want". Stupid fucking idiot of course thats what I want, all the other employees do it automatically

So I just hit 315x8 on bench.

Dafuq

Thoughts:
1.Weights aren't calibrated
2. I took 2 consecutive days off from the gym
3. I'm carbed up like a motherfucker
4. The bar I used today isn't one I'm used to. The others are thicker.

Haven't benched in 5 months. Shoulder still feels iffy. That said, I'm not pushing bench hard anyway, it's just an accessory for my log press. Gonna do paused bench for a while. Did an easy 5 at 315 paused today.

http://youtu.be/2GWKKCLEzo8

dopeness on both accounts, always like readying about the progress made

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Two Complete

Started to ramp up the pain today. Basically 45 mins at the limit, followed by 20 mins of HIIT followed by 15 mins at the limit again. Legs are really suffering now, doing my best to stop them cramping by stretching them out every 15 mins or so. Also did my arm day on weights... still not entirely sure that was a good idea. :D

The first long stage of the Tour will require Sufferlandrians to face off not just on the road, but also in the dirt and snow. Endurance, skill and speed will all be tested. The (in)famous Pain Shakes shall be served. Cold.

Blender
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1548093-sufferfest-blender

Still have pain from weights on Wednesday, but it was managable. Decided to go above the target power at the end to see if I could... and I did, but only just.

7 days to go, and from now on, the legs are going to suffer more and more as they're never going to get a chance to recover.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Jesus dude, you look amazing. Hope I can get a build like yours.

RoeBear

I'm doing a bodybuilding show this year. No chickening out this time. Going to pick out one and plan it out. Can't wait.

Nice I'm doing the almost exact same thing. I've already talked to the guy that I want to hire for my prep. I'm going to do physique instead of bodybuilding though to start off with.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dopeness on both accounts, always like readying about the progress made

Thanks brah.

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Two Complete

Started to ramp up the pain today. Basically 45 mins at the limit, followed by 20 mins of HIIT followed by 15 mins at the limit again. Legs are really suffering now, doing my best to stop them cramping by stretching them out every 15 mins or so. Also did my arm day on weights... still not entirely sure that was a good idea. :D

Blender
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1548093-sufferfest-blender

Still have pain from weights on Wednesday, but it was managable. Decided to go above the target power at the end to see if I could... and I did, but only just.

7 days to go, and from now on, the legs are going to suffer more and more as they're never going to get a chance to recover.

Is that a contest or something? Trying to figure out WHY someone would do that.

I'm doing a bodybuilding show this year. No chickening out this time. Going to pick out one and plan it out. Can't wait.

Sweet man, make sure someone takes video of you on stage.

I'll cue the montage music

Almost posted a certain video, almost.

Is that a contest or something? Trying to figure out WHY someone would do that.

Well, there's a prize draw for those that finish, but more than anything, it's for charity. It's raising money for the Davis Phinney Foundation in aid of Parkinson's disease treatment and education.

http://dpf.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1123701

Like anything particularly hard in life though, a lot of people simply do it because they can. Pushing PRs, running marathons, 100 pushups, endurance challenges, century rides. Why not? :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, there's a prize draw for those that finish, but more than anything, it's for charity. It's raising money for the Davis Phinney Foundation in aid of Parkinson's disease treatment and education.

http://dpf.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1123701

Like anything particularly hard in life though, a lot of people simply do it because they can. Pushing PRs, running marathons, 100 pushups, endurance challenges, century rides. Why not? :)

I guess I spent enough of my life being cold/hot wet and miserable that I don't know why anyone would do it to themselves on purpose.

Always a massive difference in choosing to do it vs having to. I mean hell, I'm sure your routine in particular can get massively painful, but you do it, in the hope that it takes you closer to your aims.

For me, physiological adaptation aside, just knowing that I can deal with the pain and push myself that hard (out of choice) makes a massive psychological difference in events (and to the rest of my life for that matter).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Always a massive difference in choosing to do it vs having to. I mean hell, I'm sure your routine in particular can get massively painful, but you do it, in the hope that it takes you closer to your aims.

For me, physiological adaptation aside, just knowing that I can deal with the pain and push myself that hard (out of choice) makes a massive psychological difference in events (and to the rest of my life for that matter).

Maybe that's it. I already know I can be miserable if I have to. Fuck that though.

Maybe that's it. I already know I can be miserable if I have to. Fuck that though.

Plus there's the whole, "never feeling more alive". I don't think I've ever got miserable pushing myself that hard, because, well, I'm still healthy enough to do it.

I imagine the purest misery will be the day I know I can't. It was nearly taken away from me once before because of a DVT and I can't tell you how depressed the idea made me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thing looks like it's 50 pounds when you do it. Can't wait to see that 250.

Lol thanks man , gonna wait a bit before biting that off though. This new routine is taking it out of me. The sandbag is actually 210lbs, but I rounded down. Weighed it last week.
Plus there's the whole, "never feeling more alive". I don't think I've ever got miserable pushing myself that hard, because, well, I'm still healthy enough to do it.

I imagine the purest misery will be the day I know I can't. It was nearly taken away from me once before because of a DVT and I can't tell you how depressed the idea made me.

More power to you bud. After 5 years of sucking (really,really sucking) I'll take comfortable every day of the week.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Darth doing a show. Roe possibly doing the same. Brolic carrying dead bodies hundreds of feet. This place is fantastic!

RoeBear

I had been away for a while and realized you're Darth! How have things been? Why have you NOT done a show yet????
Shows are one of the hardest things to do imo. It's not like a test where your can just show up. You're putting all your hard work on display. So if you don't think it's up to snuff others might not too. For bodybuilding everything is exposed, and you're asking others to judge you. It's not that easy even for guys that look great.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Darth doing a show. Roe possibly doing the same. Brolic carrying dead bodies hundreds of feet. This place is fantastic!

FitGAF is best GAF.

Also you guys just missed it. This guy posted a total ego,lift in the group Sean and I are in on FB and I smashed him. He eventually called the moderator on me and I laughed it off basically saying "oh shit he called dad on us" the mod "liked" my comment right before deleting the dudes entire post. I wish I had saved it.

At least Sean got to see it.

SeanR1221

It's great motivation. You wanna keep pushing yourself to let fitgaf know what you're doing.

FitGAF is best GAF.

Also you guys just missed it. This guy posted a total ego,lift in the group Sean and I are in on FB and I smashed him. He eventually called the moderator on me and I laughed it off basically saying "oh shit he called dad on us" the mod "liked" my comment right before deleting the dudes entire post. I wish I had saved it.

Yup. I recommend you guys check out the page. It's a pretty nice place.

This link should work

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1382685178623051

Sadetar

I slept so badly and was ready to skip the gym. Then I came here and saw Roe's photos and just needed to drag my lazy ass there. It ended up being really good. :D

Even though I noticed that I am getting slight lower back pain while doing dumbbell bent over row. Can anyone link me a valid video to show how is it done properly? Pretty please.

Nice, climbing the ranking ladder.
If asked from me, you have been quite high all the time. You look absolutely amazing!

All done my first session with Steve. It was awesome. I'm in the pizza shop across the street now getting the "iron sport burger" (a pound of meat, an egg and an onion ring) but here are some quick things

- we squatted today. He brought my stance in. Put the bar almost between a high and low bar. Told me to stop squeezing my ass because it was creating tension and made me think I was deeper than I am. Told me to stop thinking in absolutes and as long as the foundations were there, just squat. I worked up to a really easy 315 and then did 275 x2x5

-Then we did glute bridges. Holy. Shit. These are intense. I'm definitely putting them in my
Programming.

- we finished with some glute ham raises.

- steves a real nice guy. Serious but nice. A lot of knowledge. We bullshitted for a little between sets and he had some great stories about his time with guys like Coan and Tate.

- no pictures. I didn't wanna come off as a fanboy.

- bought two shirts though :)
Sounds totally awesome! :D

Hahah, any quick tips for glute bridges that he shared with you? :p

I am also totally jealous of that burger of yours! Glorious.

Making this 200lb sandbag my bitch. Once I hit 3x5 and 225 foot walk with it I'll make a 250lb bag.

200lb bag over 48" bar 3x3

http://youtu.be/jZb34Zm5kRU
You make that look way easier than it really is.

I am yet starting to understand why some people need to cut the body in pieces before getting rid of it...

Hahahah, this is exactly what I am thinking! :D

SeanR1221

Sounds totally awesome! :D

Hahah, any quick tips for glute bridges that he shared with you? :p

I am also totally jealous of that burger of yours! Glorious.

He had me put my back up against a bench instead of doing them from the floor. Actually my back is bruised from putting pressure against it lol. Not much else to say besides that. Pretty much lift your hips up, the weight shouldn't touch the ground on the way down and bang out a 4x12

And yes. The burger. I estimated between the burger and fries it was a good 3500 calories.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
He had me put my back up against a bench instead of doing them from the floor. Actually my back is bruised from putting pressure against it lol. Not much else to say besides that. Pretty much lift your hips up, the weight shouldn't touch the ground on the way down and bang out a 4x12

And yes. The burger. I estimated between the burger and fries it was a good 3500 calories.

I tried them like that and it was uncomfortable as hell. Can't find a good way to do them.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Even though I noticed that I am getting slight lower back pain while doing dumbbell bent over row. Can anyone link me a valid video to show how is it done properly? Pretty please.

I'm interested in seeing this too. My lower back doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure if it's good for my quads to be touching my abs.

You're there, and will continue

9n22XYl.gif

_Isaac

FitGAF is best GAF.

What was the gist of his post?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What was the gist of his post?

He basically uracked and reracked 405 a few times coming no where close to even his upturned nose and was insinuating it was a 405 press. It was akin to those videos you see of a dude with every plate in the gym on the leg press and he does quarter rom calf raises.

I called him out for it being nothing more than an "ego lift."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom