• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Banned
So, thinking about my shoulders.

Are Front and Back enough worked via compound exercises like bench, overhead press. upright rows and weight row machine etc, or do I need to dedicate? Mids are worked via lateral raises.

RoeBear

What do you guys think about creatine? Yay or nay?
There's some in my pre workout. I don't buy extra.

Just downloaded my fitness pal today. Apparently I'm getting 4600 calories a day. It's funny when I see people trying to stay at under 2000. I just had my 6th meal and I'm still hungry :(

BumRush

Shows are one of the hardest things to do imo. It's not like a test where your can just show up. You're putting all your hard work on display. So if you don't think it's up to snuff others might not too. For bodybuilding everything is exposed, and you're asking others to judge you. It's not that easy even for guys that look great.

Yeah I'm definitely not saying it's easy, Roe. I just know you're both training hard to get there.

So, thinking about my shoulders.

Are Front and Back enough worked via compound exercises like bench, overhead press. upright rows and weight row machine etc, or do I need to dedicate? Mids are worked via lateral raises.

Depends on what your goals are. For aesthetics, no you'd need to do more. For strength training, compounds are probably fine for shoulders. In the past I did a ton of supplementary shoulder work, but that was for a "look"

SeanR1221

Just downloaded my fitness pal today. Apparently I'm getting 4600 calories a day. It's funny when I see people trying to stay at under 2000. I just had my 6th meal and I'm still hungry :(

Living the dream.

There's the counting calories is hard thread right now going on in the OT section and some dudes are eating 1200. 1200!!! I get that they're sedentary all day but still I couldn't even imagine eating that little and calling it a day.

RoeBear

Yeah I'm definitely not saying it's easy, Roe. I just know you're both training hard to get there.
Yeah I realize now I took your post completely the wrong way. People lately around me have been jerks about me quitting the show that's next week when I only gave myself 8 weeks to prep. But of course these were people uninterested in shows and all that in the first place.

That app is pretty good for calorie counting and nutrition tracking but that's about it. I don't trust its recommended calorie intake nor believe that I only burned 300 at the gym today doing arms for 80 minutes.

BumRush

No worries, Roe. You look great, and you're training hard. I'm sure I speak for everyone here saying we'll be fired up when you do compete.

4,500 calories a day? Lol. Are you burning that off training or are you putting on serious muscle right now?

ILoveBish

Since i couldn't get the last day of 1s week during work this week, went in at 2am and got every single rep in easy, and had plenty in the tank. The deload is what it is, but im itching to go heavier, my goodness. Also pump in bench day is best pump for me hands down, everything looks so good. Oh well, will still go up slowly so that i don't overdue it like i did last time, im still all about cutting fat first right now.

Oh and when i walked into my 24 hour fitness, they had 4 huge power cages with rubber plates there! I can start working on oly lifts soon, going to have to check chocos list to see if he has any listed there.

I eat 1500-1700 calories a day and weigh 243.5lbs, lift plenty heavy with 5/3/1 and i have to force myself to eat, i'm never hungry at all. The difference is i'm fully keto adapted and doing IF. Its been amazing. If i was eating carbs i'd be starving all the time too, its why i don't bother with them.

Feeling really beaten up today. Even after I made sure I had eight hours sleep, which almost never happens.

Really not looking forward to how I'm going to feel towards the end of the tour. =/

BumRush

Feeling really beaten up today. Even after I made sure I had eight hours sleep, which almost never happens.

Really not looking forward to how I'm going to feel towards the end of the tour. =/

Keep pushing psycho. I'm sure you feel like shit but how good will you feel when the tour is over and you made it your bitch?

Adding a ton of stretching to the mix today which should hopefully ease up things a bit. Did some foam rolling last night before bed too... which was uncomfortable.

It's all my fault anyway. I had forgotten when it was starting so by accident I had already done three days without a rest day beforehand.

Alright fit bros, I did my first crazy 8 circuit yesterday with... somewhat underwhelming results.

It's supposed to be 2 to 3 circuits of this:

• 60 Jumping Jacks
• 15 Spiderman Pushups
• 30 Walking Lunges (15 per leg)
• 20 Spiderman Climbs/Lunges (10 per side)
• 45 second Wall Squat (don't rest hands on your legs)
• 60 second Plank
• 10 Burpees
• 50 High Knees (25 per leg)

But all I was able to pull off was one circuit of this:

• 60 JJ
• 12 PU
• 30 WL
• 6 S-ML
• 20 s WS
• 15 s P
• 10 B
• 30 HK

Since I literally hadn't exercised (beyond a few power walks here and there) in at least 8 months though, maybe that's too be expected. But is only doing one circuit of a reduced amount going to help me? If I stick with it for a couple of weeks, can I reasonably expect to see some progress in those exercises, or is it too little to make a difference?

A few other notes:

- I was hungover and hadn't eaten anything when I did it, so that perhaps contributed as well. I maybe could have powered through parts of a second circuit had I been feeling better (I'm going to attempt this today)

- I'm somewhat sore today, so hopefully that means it at least had some effect

- My wrists were killing me during the pushups. Is there some altered technique for pushups where I'm not putting all of the blubbering weight from my torso on joints of my wrist?

- Maybe most importantly of all... can anyone recommend a good pre-workout stretch routine for this type of circuit? I did a few stretches yesterday before starting, but nothing I had really thought out... and probably because of that, I hurt my left hamstring during one of the exercises.

I really hope my somewhat pathetic performance yesterday doesn't automatically mean I should give up - it would be really nice to know that if I stick with it I'll start developing more energy and strength within the next few weeks. But I need reassurance, because I'm assuming there's some threshold that has to be crossed before exercise makes tangible difference, and I'm not sure if I reached it yesterday.

- My wrists were killing me during the pushups. Is there some altered technique for pushups where I'm not putting all of the blubbering weight from my torso on joints of my wrist?

Push Up Stands: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=push+up+stands

I really hope my somewhat pathetic performance yesterday doesn't automatically mean I should give up.
Don't be silly. At the beginning almost anything you do is going to make a difference.

One thing I would say about your routine is that spiderman pushups / spiderman climbs aren't exactly beginner moves if you're out of shape. They're bloody effective, but you would have taken a lot out of yourself doing those, which would explain reduced performance on a lot of the other stuff. I'd temporarily replace those with something else, then add them back in as you're able to do more.

Wolfe

Living the dream.

There's the counting calories is hard thread right now going on in the OT section and some dudes are eating 1200. 1200!!! I get that they're sedentary all day but still I couldn't even imagine eating that little and calling it a day.

Yeah if I'm lucky each of my 3 main meals is at least 1,200 calories. I can't deny that this sounds rather rad though:

I eat 1500-1700 calories a day and weigh 243.5lbs, lift plenty heavy with 5/3/1 and i have to force myself to eat, i'm never hungry at all. The difference is i'm fully keto adapted and doing IF. Its been amazing. If i was eating carbs i'd be starving all the time too, its why i don't bother with them.

I mean even just the thought of money saved from the the fact that less money is being spent on food makes this super enticing to at least try out. Gonna have to do some research.

2100-2200 calories a day seems like my sweet spot. Never leaving me hungry and feel good. Going to continue this deficit until I plateau than drop to 2000. Slow and steady wins the race.

BumRush

I really hope my somewhat pathetic performance yesterday doesn't automatically mean I should give up - it would be really nice to know that if I stick with it I'll start developing more energy and strength within the next few weeks. But I need reassurance, because I'm assuming there's some threshold that has to be crossed before exercise makes tangible difference, and I'm not sure if I reached it yesterday.

Dude, come on. One day in, please don't even entertain giving up. I'm surprised you actually did that much on day one, TBH. Just stay with it. After a week you'll feel better, after a month you'll feel even better, etc. Keep with it, and try not to work out hungover, it's not a good baseline for a beginner.

Push Up Stands: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=push+up+stands

Don't be silly. At the beginning almost anything you do is going to make a difference.

One thing I would say about your routine is that spiderman pushups / spiderman climbs aren't exactly beginner moves if you're out of shape. They're bloody effective, but you would have taken a lot out of yourself doing those, which would explain reduced performance on a lot of the other stuff. I'd temporarily replace those with something else, then add them back in as you're able to do more.

Dude, come on. One day in, please don't even entertain giving up. I'm surprised you actually did that much on day one, TBH. Just stay with it. After a week you'll feel better, after a month you'll feel even better, etc. Keep with it, and try not to work out hungover, it's not a good baseline for a beginner.
Awesome, thanks for the encouragement guys. I just finished a second go today - I was able to get the full 15 pushups in this time (not Spider-Man pushups... I'm not going to even attempt those for a couple of months), and 10 Spider-Man climbs (up from yesterday's 6). I was more thorough in my stretching too, so I didn't hurt as much during the routine.

I was still only able to pop off one circuit though, and with all of my resting time, it took me about 25 minutes.

I also coincidentally walked by a $5 jump rope and $10 resistance band at Target yesterday... but I didn't bite. I'm thinking this crazy 8 circuit might be more effective if I take a day off in between, especially at first since I'm using muscle groups that have been so long-neglected that they are essentially dust at the moment. I'm thinking a jump rope + resistance band routine might be good on tuesdays and thursdays? Or maybe that's biting off too much right at first, I don't know. I'm going back to target next weekend though, so I could buy the equipment then if I decide it would be worthwhile.

Adding a ton of stretching to the mix today which should hopefully ease up things a bit. Did some foam rolling last night before bed too... which was uncomfortable.

It's all my fault anyway. I had forgotten when it was starting so by accident I had already done three days without a rest day beforehand.

Your gym have one of these? just started using the one at mine and I think its helps tremendously with stretching

240i_Stretch_Trainer_revised_07.2010__21075_zoom.jpg

2100-2200 calories a day seems like my sweet spot. Never leaving me hungry and feel good. Going to continue this deficit until I plateau than drop to 2000. Slow and steady wins the race.

Just started cutting a week ago and decided to start with 2300, think I'll just slowly start dropping that every week or every other week and hopefully that can keep me from plateauing like i normally do

Also the amount off aesthetics and strength displayed on this page between Roe and Brolic is quite amazing and inspirational

Chocobro

Oh and when i walked into my 24 hour fitness, they had 4 huge power cages with rubber plates there! I can start working on oly lifts soon, going to have to check chocos list to see if he has any listed there.

- I actually only have CaliforniaStrength's clean and snatch tutorial or learning progression there. It's really simplified and I don't necessarily think it quite cuts it (for me) because there's a lot of other technicalities that really affect the lifts.
- However I have made a playlist for Chinese weightlifting technique last month.
The squat tempo video(s) is the main reason I had to decrease in weight for my HBBS and work back up again. Feels better to me.
- Here's a pretty detailed write-up of the Ma Strength Seminar (LXJ, LH, and Coach Yu Jie and Coach Ma) they had in NYC which I didn't get to go to. Fast, low, close, timing/rhythm, and stable is important in Chinese WLing.
- Here are Tommy Kono's lecture on WLing technique, but I haven't watched it yet. I did watch the lecture he did on WLing technique at Arnolds 2005 though. Seems to emphasize the stuff the Chinese coaches does. I think he was ahead of the time in terms of WLing technique in America. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6.
- If you want to learn the snatch, here's the general progression some Asian coaches use. As Kirk said, they don't really learn clean technique because once you get the snatch timing, clean timing will come more easily whereas the opposite (learn clean first then snatch)will take longer.
- If you want there are a bunch Klokov videos, that covers what he does in his seminars, I can upload for you to download.

But if you only want to do the power clean and none of the others, I'm sure Rippetoe's section on the power clean will work.
Despite reading a whole lot over the last four months about WLing technique, I have yet to start self-teaching the snatch because I don't think I can trust myself in correcting the faults on the spot and I currently don't have the time I had when I was just job searching, lifting, reading, and not having to cook. My main (and maybe only) concern at the moment is how the starting position is supposed to feel, other than that I think I can learn the snatch. You don't want to continuously build on top of imperfection when perfection is needed in such technical lifts. I wish I can train under a Chinese WLing coach.

Sorry for the bombardment of information. Information on Chinese WLing isn't really on the YouTube because...Google stuff is banned there lol. Plus WLing in general isn't that popular on YT when compared to powerlifting. If you don't want to go through all of the stuff in the above post, just PM me about the Klokov videos to watch and Gret Everett's book to read about the oly lifts.

Compared to learning the oly lifts, powerlifting lifts are easy to learn.

Go_Ly_Dow

my weight as increased but my chest definition appears to have shrunk!

may be fat although it no longer sticks out of my clothes as much so think i've lost general 'mass' in that area.

Go_Ly_Dow

only had 2 meals today and had a very decreased appetite but just about managed to shovel down a fuck ton of pasta despite feeling bloating from the start

feels good man
not really it feels terrible but need dem calz!

MrMuscle

Another week done with my 7 day a week program and im feeling really good. Ive upped my calories to 3200 a day (around 170g protein, 430g karbs and 90g fat). Weight is stable between 89 and 90kg and I keep an eye on my bodyfat with skin fold calipers. Im not religious about it, but i prefer to stay pretty tight. And so far im happy with my shape.

Aside from all that it is fantastic fun to train every day.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Any of you guys taking multivitamins? I try to eat balanced but I wouldn't mind taking a supplement here to help me along.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I keep expecting my strength to plateau but shit, my body will have none of it.

Chest day:

225x10
255x8
275x6
295x4
315x5 I believe this is a PR.

BONUS 120sX7 on incline DB

ILoveBish

- I actually only have CaliforniaStrength's clean and snatch tutorial or learning progression there. It's really simplified and I don't necessarily think it quite cuts it (for me) because there's a lot of other technicalities that really affect the lifts.
- However I have made a playlist for Chinese weightlifting technique last month.
The squat tempo video(s) is the main reason I had to decrease in weight for my HBBS and work back up again. Feels better to me.
- Here's a pretty detailed write-up of the Ma Strength Seminar (LXJ, LH, and Coach Yu Jie and Coach Ma) they had in NYC which I didn't get to go to. Fast, low, close, timing/rhythm, and stable is important in Chinese WLing.
- Here are Tommy Kono's lecture on WLing technique, but I haven't watched it yet. I did watch the lecture he did on WLing technique at Arnolds 2005 though. Seems to emphasize the stuff the Chinese coaches does. I think he was ahead of the time in terms of WLing technique in America. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6.
- If you want to learn the snatch, here's the general progression some Asian coaches use. As Kirk said, they don't really learn clean technique because once you get the snatch timing, clean timing will come more easily whereas the opposite (learn clean first then snatch)will take longer.
- If you want there are a bunch Klokov videos, that covers what he does in his seminars, I can upload for you to download.

But if you only want to do the power clean and none of the others, I'm sure Rippetoe's section on the power clean will work.
Despite reading a whole lot over the last four months about WLing technique, I have yet to start self-teaching the snatch because I don't think I can trust myself in correcting the faults on the spot and I currently don't have the time I had when I was just job searching, lifting, reading, and not having to cook. My main (and maybe only) concern at the moment is how the starting position is supposed to feel, other than that I think I can learn the snatch. You don't want to continuously build on top of imperfection when perfection is needed in such technical lifts. I wish I can train under a Chinese WLing coach.

Sorry for the bombardment of information. Information on Chinese WLing isn't really on the YouTube because...Google stuff is banned there lol. Plus WLing in general isn't that popular on YT when compared to powerlifting. If you don't want to go through all of the stuff in the above post, just PM me about the Klokov videos to watch and Gret Everett's book to read about the oly lifts.

Compared to learning the oly lifts, powerlifting lifts are easy to learn.

Awesome, will be checking them out for a starting base. I've never done a oly lift before, but now that i have access to all those goodies, i'll do what i can to go 1 day a week for them.

Another week done with my 7 day a week program and im feeling really good. Ive upped my calories to 3200 a day (around 170g protein, 430g karbs and 90g fat). Weight is stable between 89 and 90kg and I keep an eye on my bodyfat with skin fold calipers. Im not religious about it, but i prefer to stay pretty tight. And so far im happy with my shape.

Aside from all that it is fantastic fun to train every day.

your username is apt.

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Three Complete

This was a surprise to me. I was expecting it to be relatively easy... well, as easy as Sufferfest stuff gets anyway. It was not. By the third set I was starting to think that I might have to bail on it before too long. Lactic acid build up was huge and my form was starting to get really bad on the sprint sections. Managed to just about stick with it though. First time I've done that one and I'm in no hurry to go back.

Fight Club
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1555088-Sufferfest-Fight-Club

The relatively predictible and steady Suffering of the first two stages gives way to a stage designed for scrappy, aggressive racing. Expect Cadel Evans, in one of the final races of his career, to give it a go for victory today.

Cadel Evans isn't really racing, he's not tough enough.

6 days to go, legs no worse than yesterday... so it's hard to tell if that's a result of all the stretching today or they've just sort of hit a stable level of agony.

ILoveBish

Tour of Sufferlandria - Day Three Complete

This was a surprise to me. I was expecting it to be relatively easy... well, as easy as Sufferfest stuff gets anyway. It was not. By the third set I was starting to think that I might have to bail on it before too long. Lactic acid build up was huge and my form was starting to get really bad on the sprint sections. Managed to just about stick with it though. First time I've done that one and I'm in no hurry to go back.

Fight Club
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1555088-Sufferfest-Fight-Club

6 days to go, legs no worse than yesterday... so it's hard to tell if that's a result of all the stretching today or they've just sort of hit a stable level of agony.

You are likely just getting used to the pain.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Had a hell of a workout.

5/3/1 squats for time
5x10 rack pulls
Weighted pull-up pyramid: BWx5, +10x4, +25x3, +35x2, +45x1

All pull-ups done slow and controlled with a one-second hold at the top.

Traps, back, and forearms are torched.

iddqd

The wife came home with two packages of Ferrero Rocher
16fr.jpg

And three of KINDER BUENO.
bueno-440x273.jpg

I feel like a Heroin addict that lives in a Poppy field.
As soon as I'm tired, overworked or the weekend comes, my willpower fades and that crap will get eaten.
Will I get a lightning bolt in my face if I throw that shit away? Food donations?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I had a shitty, no energy workout.

Thursday I did 3x5 at 210 for squats, and now I did 2x2 and 1x3 at 215. For context a few weeks ago I did 3x5 at 220.

Bench press? 190x3, 185x3, 180x3 all feeling much heavier than last week.

And that's all I was able to finish, along with warm up sets in over an hour and a half. Super lethargic today.

Making good on my new lifestyle choice to get swole as hell by summer and be as healthy as I can. (Some would call it a new year's resolution, but I'm not going to limit it to 2015. :p)

Today was my off day/cheat day, as I had a downtown brunch with the roommies and am enjoying libations. Was reflecting on the past two weeks and wanted to check in.

FWIW, I'm both jogging and weight training 5 days a week, not drinking, and not eating meat. These restrictions are lifted on my allocated cheat days, to break up monotony. I should take a more scientific approach and notate tangible goals, but I'm pretty sure keeping on this track will be very beneficial. I'm not counting calories, but I've drastically cut down my portion sizes; and I'm carefully selecting my food for good nutrition.

Feels good gaf. :)

Are you normally vegetarian? If you're looking to eat healthy and workout then meat is usually a great part of your diet. If you other reasons that's fair enough though.

I cut 30 pounds over last year. Still not where I want to be but I can definitely tell the skin is loose in some areas. How long does it take for loose skin to tighten up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom