• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz

Where are you getting numbers like 88.18 lbs from? The 18/100ths of a pound part, I mean.

As a wild guess I would assume converting from kg?

Not sure about his routine but mine will often spit out numbers like this and I round up to the next 5/10. So on my plan 88.18 would be 90. This is just a guess that his routine is similar to mine in this regard.

Also a very reasonable guess.

I asked for some recommendations in here the other day for some effective in-home, equipmentless workout routines. The suggestions were good - except for the fact that all of them required equipment :p

I know this is far from ideal. I'm gone 12 hours every day for work, don't have a car, refuse to pay $70/month for my local gym, and I don't even have a television to watch damn workout DVDs on. I'm moving in a few months, and reconfiguring my daily schedule and making sure I'm close to a reasonably priced gym.

I need something to keep my body from turning to a melting popsicle in the interim, though. After a good 45 minutes of googling, I found two things that are what I'm after - I just want some opinions as to whether or not doing one of these circuits (say, five times a week) will actually be effective in some way. I don't want to start this if I'm just following some hodgepodge routine cooked up by a random jpeg artist in search of clicks.

Anyway, here are the two I'm looking at right now:

anigif_enhanced-3120-1420054854-3.gif

and

Would doing four or five circuits of either of these five days a week be worth my while?

Would doing four or five circuits of either of these five days a week be worth my while?

The problem with this kind of routine is that I see no sense of progression. If you're doing the same thing everyday you're not going to see much change, no matter how fast you try to do it. I would say to try to increase the number of reps by 1 every time you complete the goal in each exercise. Also, needs pullups.

BumRush

I asked for some recommendations in here the other day for some effective in-home, equipmentless workout routines. The suggestions were good - except for the fact that all of them required equipment :p

I know this is far from ideal. I'm gone 12 hours every day for work, don't have a car, refuse to pay $70/month for my local gym, and I don't even have a television to watch damn workout DVDs on. I'm moving in a few months, and reconfiguring my daily schedule and making sure I'm close to a reasonably priced gym.

I need something to keep my body from turning to a melting popsicle in the interim, though. After a good 45 minutes of googling, I found two things that are what I'm after - I just want some opinions as to whether or not doing one of these circuits (say, five times a week) will actually be effective in some way. I don't want to start this if I'm just following some hodgepodge routine cooked up by a random jpeg artist in search of clicks.

and

They'll definitely help, for sure. If I was doing equipment-less I'd focus on doing circuits of pushups, squats, crunches, burpees and mountain climbers. IF POSSIBLE, I'd highly recommend investing in a jump rope, a cheap resistance band and / or a door jam pull up bar (which can do a lot of other things).

The problem with this kind of routine is that I see no sense of progression. If you're doing the same thing everyday you're not going to see much change, no matter how fast you try to do it. I would say to try to increase the number of reps by 1 every time you complete the goal in each exercise. Also, needs pullups.

And this, for sure.

Bowser

and

Hm, missed your first post. I used to do this one bodyweight routine affectionately dubbed the "bodyweight crazy 8". It's as follows:

• 60 Jumping Jacks
  • 15 Spiderman Pushups (www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKBeHALPsSU)
  • 30 Walking Lunges (15 per leg)
  • 20 Spiderman Climbs/Lunges (10 per side)
  • 45 second Wall Squat (don't rest hands on your legs)
  • 60 second Plank
  • 10 Burpees
  • 50 High Knees (25 per leg)

Repeat this circuit 2-3x with 1 min rest in between. What I like about this is it definitely leaves you smoked, but you can also track your progression, at least in terms of cardiovascular endurance. When I first did this circuit way back when, I could barely get through 2 rounds in 20 minutes, and after months of working out/getting in shape, I can get through 3 rounds in under 20 minutes.

In fact, when you start, limit yourself to 20 min and see how many rounds you can get. Once you can get 3 rounds within 20 minutes, start trying to get through 3 rounds as quick as possible.

I'm not necessarily looking for progression in the sense that I want to master these specific exercises, or am looking to track and increase something like lift numbers. Eventually, sure, but for now I just need a baseline to get my cardiovascular and muscular systems into rudimentary shape.

I probably can't even do a pullup at this point.

They'll definitely help, for sure. If I was doing equipment-less I'd focus on doing circuits of pushups, squats, crunches, burpees and mountain climbers. IF POSSIBLE, I'd highly recommend investing in a jump rope, a cheap resistance band and / or a door jam pull up bar (which can do a lot of other things).
A jump rope would be doable, definitely. Is that going to be exponentially more beneficial cardio standard jumping jacks?

The book I suggested for you involves little to no equipment.
Was that the prison workout thing? I love the concept and read more into it, but there's no way I'd be able to do half of the stuff in that book at the moment. I'm basically starting from ground zero here, as it's been... jesus, three or for years since I was into a serious gym routine. It has just taken this new sedentary job and lifestyle to kick me back into action - but I'm not going to try something like that right off the bat.

EDIT: Bowser, that seems exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll read more into it... thanks a ton!

Bowser

EDIT: Bowser, that seems exactly like what I'm looking for. I'll read more into it... thanks a ton!

No problem - I've definitely moved more into lifting now, but I used to do a lot of bodyweight circuit / metabolic conditioning type stuff when I began my weight loss journey just to up my cardiovascular endurance.

I second the suggestion to grab a jump rope as well. Doesn't cost much ($10-20?) and it's a great tool to use in metcon workouts.

Also, you can modify that circuit if some things are too hard (which I had to when I started). For example, I just did regular pushups until I could build to doing spider-man pushups, did burpees with no push-up and then moved to burpees where each rep only counted if your chest hit the floor, etc.

Was that the prison workout thing? I love the concept and read more into it, but there's no way I'd be able to do half of the stuff in that book at the moment. I'm basically starting from ground zero here, as it's been... jesus, three or for years since I was into a serious gym routine. It has just taken this new sedentary job and lifestyle to kick me back into action - but I'm not going to try something like that right off the bat.

I've not done it myself, but my understanding is that all of it has progression from bog standard push ups upwards to much harder moves. Much like this:

Not entirely sure why that's so small when it's zoomed, but that's the biggest I could find.

Edit - Apparently because they want you to buy the big version. Still, it'll give you an idea of progression options.

ACE 1991

Moving out the parents house (I graduated from college in May) into Philly, found a really cheap 24/7 gym... Then I find out there was a shooting at the gym 4 years ago. Gonna scare my muscles into growing

ILoveBish

Back from gym, 330lb squat too easy. Wanted to throw on more weight to the bar so bad. But keeping the deload program going. I freakin love first set last, I do 3 sets of 10 of the warm up rep and it kills me, so good.

Also, now on the 6th belt hole on my gym belt. Just a week ago, 5th was tight.

Matugi

Yeah, whatchu mean? My friend and I DL in oly shoes. Although I just switched back to Chuck Taylors last workout.

deadlifting with a raised heel puts you at a deficit which means you have to reach down further to grab the bar. when you sit back to pull the slack out your hips will be artificially higher. whatever works for you i guess but you're losing a fair amount of strength when you deadlift with a raised heel

Just want to say how having a good setup for the deadlift (pulling the slack out of the bar, keeping everything tight, acting like the bar is stuck to the floor and your pushing your legs, humping the bar at lockout) really does help especially when you stall. After 3 times of stalling those cues finally hit me and now I just crushed 320 lb x 6 (with a belt assist tho). I suggest watching Alan Thrall's How To Deadlift and the deadlift video that Brolic posted one time (forgot the name) for those that are having trouble with the deadlift.

Funnily enough, we don't get those either.

You can kinda see why the US might have an obesity problem!

(Also, portion sizes when I was in Vegas blew my mind)

Chocobro

deadlifting with a raised heel puts you at a deficit which means you have to reach down further to grab the bar. when you sit back to pull the slack out your hips will be artificially higher. whatever works for you i guess but you're losing a fair amount of strength when you deadlift with a raised heel

- My comment wasn't totally serious, it was me joking with the beginning part lol. Anyway, you aren't on a 0.75 inch deficit though. The extra ROM is based off the middle of your foot and with the oly shoes, it isn't that much. It's very minor. There is a compromise in DLing in oly shoes, it's just up to the individual. More quad activation and easier on the back, but slightly less glutes/hamstring activation with the slight change in angles.
- Rippetoe talked about it in this article.
- I think it can be used as a training tool, not so much for when you are competing. If you aren't competing, I don't think it matters if you are pulling less.
- Garrett from Massthetics shared his thoughts on deadlifting in oly shoes in two videos; one and two, not that you need to watch it but he drew schematics and did math comparing both.

EDIT: I will have to see how DLing in flats again go. I was DLing in adipowers for about the last five to seven months until last Sunday. I don't think it's fair to knock it if you didn't fully understand the biomechanics and didn't try it yourself; unless you did try it for a prolonged time, then fine lol.
I think it also really depends on people's morphology. Some people pull better in flats, some people in oly shoes. I'm done editing, extra thoughts came into my mind after posting.

ILoveBish

I like using oly shoes on DL, gives me a better lift at the start. When I do the initial pull, I feel a lot stronger pushing down on my legs. That's just how it is for me tho. You need to find what works for you.

I do heavy trap bar lifts as part of my powerlifting routine (I have a history of back problems so I'm avoiding heavy deadlifts while I build some more strength). Added a 1" platform last night to add some deficit to the lifts. Holy cow, even though I've been doing trap bar lifts for months, adding the deficit makes a huge difference. My quads and calves are on fire today.

So, yeah, do deficit trap bar lifts. As long as the deficit isn't so high that you arch your back.

Hm, missed your first post. I used to do this one bodyweight routine affectionately dubbed the "bodyweight crazy 8". It's as follows:

• 60 Jumping Jacks
  • 15 Spiderman Pushups (www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKBeHALPsSU)
  • 30 Walking Lunges (15 per leg)
  • 20 Spiderman Climbs/Lunges (10 per side)
  • 45 second Wall Squat (don't rest hands on your legs)
  • 60 second Plank
  • 10 Burpees
  • 50 High Knees (25 per leg)
Hoo boy - I just did a test run of this to get a feel for some of the exercises (I haven't done a burpee since grade school, for example). This shit is going to break me at first, which is exactly what I need. I have a feeling I'll be able to achieve the good-feels post-workout sensation from this at the very least.

Pretty sure my form was wack on quite a few of these, so I'll have to watch some videos just to get a refresher. I'll give it my first proper go on Saturday, probably.

EDIT: My original plan was to do this Mon-Fri once I officially start the routine, but is that a good idea? Should I maybe do Mon - Wed - Fri for this and do jump rope Tue and Thurs?

I got there, just about, but I ended up eating later than intended, which means starting later tomorrow.... and having to eat fast again. Tomorrow I need to make a plan on what I'm eating before I get to my feeding period.

ILoveBish

I got there, just about, but I ended up eating later than intended, which means starting later tomorrow.... and having to eat fast again. Tomorrow I need to make a plan on what I'm eating before I get to my feeding period.

This is why I eat the exact same thing everyday. Never need to think about food, it's always ready and macros are already done.

I'd rather not be working out if that was the decision I'd have to make. I enjoy cooking / eating random recipes too much. I just need to not work 16 hour days and get a bit more time for planning.

ILoveBish

I'd rather not be working out if that was the decision I'd have to make. I enjoy cooking / eating random recipes too much. I just need to not work 16 hour days and get a bit more time for planning.

I should add that I do this because I'm on a cut, once I go to a recomp where I have a lot more calories to play with, I'll have more of a variety. My main concern is a flat stomach. Nothing else matters to me.

Certain things in life I feel are with being obsessive about. Fitness and diet are some of them.

Depends if you let them affect the rest of your life I guess. I obviously spend a ton more time training than most (averages about 15 hours a week), but a nice side effect of that is that I don't have to let worrying about get in the way of the rest of my life with regard to eating out with the family etc.

I went down the calculate every macro, weigh every gram route about 5 years ago and the hassle of it wasn't worth the results for me. I can made do just with ballparking everything now... and I'm much happier for it (and fitter, though probably not as pretty).

But horses for courses and all that. I've got a lot of respect for those willing to go to extremes for aesthetics, even if it's not for me... any more at least.

My god dude - I thought my 12 hour days were a good enough excuse to never cook and toggle my daily meals between pizza and chicken salad. Mad respect for that dedication

The perils of running a business. It happens from time to time, much as I'd like to avoid it. I'm lucky in that my wife was kind enough to cook me something whilst I did my time on the turbo trainer tonight and then I took over knocking up two other meals. :)

One bad thing, probably only going to get 4 hrs sleep tonight, and I start this tomorrow:

http://www.thesufferfest.com/uncategorized/the-tour-of-sufferlandria-9-days-of-suffering/

Nine days of some of the hardest turbo trainer workouts you can do (doing it for charity before anyone says I'm insane!)... and I'm going to try to keep doing a bit of upper body work every other night too! :D

The perils of running a business. It happens from time to time, much as I'd like to avoid it. I'm lucky in that my wife was kind enough to cook me something whilst I did my time on the turbo trainer tonight and then I took over knocking up two other meals. :)

One bad thing, probably only going to get 4 hrs sleep tonight, and I start this tomorrow:

http://www.thesufferfest.com/uncategorized/the-tour-of-sufferlandria-9-days-of-suffering/

Nine days of some of the hardest turbo trainer workouts you can do (doing it for charity before anyone says I'm insane!)... and I'm going to try to keep doing a bit of upper body work every other night too! :D
“The course is carefully balanced between agony, misery and despair." <-- hahaha, sounds like a fun time. Despite not knowing what the program specifically entails, I can't imagine starting something like that on such low levels of sleep (or ever).

Best of luck though brother! I'll look forward to reading your updates in this thread

TTOOLL

Again, pretty solid but maybe too much! Squat / Bench / DL should be the focus of your workout if you're trying to gain weight / muscle so I'd do 5 sets of those. Also, add OHP. Otherwise, looks good and 5 days a week is solid. Let us know you're progress, and good luck!

Thanks, mate! What is OHP?

Where are you getting numbers like 88.18 lbs from? The 18/100ths of a pound part, I mean.

Converting from the superior metric system ;)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Tried DLs for the first time in months. Started with snatch grip and did 405x1, I recorded it and I didn't keep a perfect arch which is what I look for. I kept it with 385. Did regular DLs 405x4x2 to see how the adductor felt and it was good. Legs are dead from squats yesterday but my weak links are my lowerback, hamstrings, and flexibility. I tried sumo but just pulling slack off the bar and attempting the pull hurt.

iddqd

I've added more Volume to my 5/3/1 routine and OH BOY is it fucking me.

I had the feeling that I could do more and starting reading about BEYOND 5/3/1 as well as the internets general assessment that 5/3/1's biggest problem is the lack of Volume.

Having now added more work (joker sets, first set last, bbb), I can barely do one assistance work at the end and three sets of Tabata are a super pain.

Should have done this months ago but "stick to the program" was a louder voice than "you are coasting"

Wolfe

I don't like that camera angle, makes the bar look like it's about to fall off your back lol. Aside from that awkwardness it looks solid, legs look stable throughout the movement, good shit.

Press 115x5 (warning- extreme upshirt)
http://youtu.be/KT6ymeSX0NY

One issue I have with this is that your elbows appear to be flaring out a bit, maybe it's the camera angle/position again but if not try to keep them at 45 degrees. You're keeping everything tight right? Other than that nice job on the weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom