• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do anti-inflammatory pills like ibuprofen negatively affect muscle growth? Is there any downside specifically in the context of working out in using them? I don't use them because I'm sore, I use them once in a while for other reasons but wanted to make sure they didn't have a negative impact on my gains.
Not that I know of. In fact, I can see a case for them being beneficial.

Fox318

I feel like I have lost all confidence in my squat. I just don't trust my back or the weight feels heavy regardless of how heavy it really is.

Like the yipps or something.

My back isn't in pain I'm just constantly thinking about it and I don't trust it. I guess I've got it in my head that my form was wrong. I don't know.

Used to be my favorite exercise and now I feel like o can't do it anymore. I have no idea why.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I feel like I have lost all confidence in my squat. I just don't trust my back or the weight feels heavy regardless of how heavy it really is.

My back isn't in pain I'm just constantly thinking about it and I don't trust it. I guess I've got it in my head that my form was wrong. I don't know.

Used to be my favorite exercise and now I feel like o can't do it anymore. I have no idea why.

Happened to me too and I'm sure it's happened to most people. It's just something you have to work though. What worked for me was restructuring my squat from the ground up. Takes time, but it worked.

This often happens because of all of the information on the Internet. It's a blessing and a curse.

Fox318

Happened to me too and I'm sure it's happened to most people. It's just something you have to work though. What worked for me was restructuring my squat from the ground up. Takes time, but it worked.

This often happens because of all of the information on the Internet. It's a blessing and a curse.
I agree with you there. Plus the trainers I have tell me different things.

I think part of it was I read that I need to come down faster with my hips because most people do a squat like a leg press.

I went from doing 5 sets of 5 at 220 to not feeling confident with 45 pounds on my back.

Chin ups seem to be effective, just need to cut and get extra crispy

NxYcH72l.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Also, heavy squats are always heavy no matter how strong you are. If that makes sense.

I actually made a post about that a long time ago. The "feeling" always changes, and is something to be overcome and adapted to.

Chin ups seem to be effective, just need to cut and get extra crispy

NxYcH72l.jpg

Effective for what? You're not flexing your back. And a cut IMO is the last thing you need. You need more muscle, not less fat. But do you.

Holy shit I was about to post this. I'm struggling with 197 lbs after a huge deload a couple months ago from 215 because my form was too bad. But as the weight approaches what I was lifting before my form is deteriorating again. Just today I failed because it felt too heavy on my back. I just can't maintain a proper back angle throughout the whole movement, the descent is fine and I can reach depth, but on the ascent the hips always rise first and that throws the weight to the front. Supposedly it is because I'm not involving my core enough, but even if try I just get a tight torso that still leans horizontal during the ascent. I just don't understand and it's making dread squatting more and more.

I actually made a post about that a long time ago. The "feeling" always changes, and is something to be overcome and adapted to.

Effective for what? You're not flexing your back. And a cut IMO is the last thing you need. You need more muscle, not less fat. But do you.
Well I don't want mich more muscle, I'm not rebuying suits *again*. Soi guess I'll keep on doing me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Brolic just cracks me up.

___

Speaking of the vein train, this big one that runs down my shoulder and arm should make an appearance in another 2 weeks. I had forgotten all about it. Funny how quickly we get used to our self image.

Nelo Ice

Banned

So I'm not the only one lol. Every time I squat I don't feel I'm doing it right even if I'm told my form is fine and I'm hitting parallel or atg. Then like the weight gets heavier and it's like am I still doing it right?!

Also reading through previous pages looks like I should definitely try to keep doing curls in my workouts. I'm currently on GSLP and I usually forgot to do them before squats/DLs. I somehow usually remember to curl after squats/dls but I'm usually too wiped to do them or I try and I can only do a few reps with proper form.

Speaking of which what assistance/iso exercises do you guys like to do? Currently feel like my OHP and bench may stall again. I weight about 138lbs more or less. My first attempt at 100 lb OHP only lasted 2x5 and was only able to get to 1x2 on the last set. As for bench I only got 1x4 before realizing going for that last rep would have probably meant a roll of shame.

Second week of keto and my water weight is gone and the crappy poops have started. Looks like I'm good to go.

I need to start making my chocolate protein fiber muffin things.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well I don't want mich more muscle, I'm not rebuying suits *again*. Soi guess I'll keep on doing me.

Not like you're gonna turn into the hulk overnight.

Brolic just cracks me up.

___

Speaking of the vein train, this big one that runs down my shoulder and arm should make an appearance in another 2 weeks. I had forgotten all about it. Funny how quickly we get used to our self image.

My bluntness goes one of two ways, humor or anger, works the same way in "real life" too.

And if I ever saw a vein I'd think something was wrong. Lol.

Lol I don't mean to sound like one of those "if I do a squat I'll get huge" people, since I've actually slimmed down in some areas after doing 5x5, but I am getting to the stitching limits on some things I can't rebuy, and I reaaaaaaaallly do not want to do that again.

Vaporak

Hey fitness gaf, I've got another newbie question. In the OP, and other places I've read, the Deadlift is recomended to do only 1 set of 5, instead of 3 sets of 5 like other barbell exercises. Why is this? I've been doing my Deadlifts 3x5 since getting introduced to them that way.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Does anyone have a good workout playlist on spotify or music to recommend so I can make a playlist?

I usually end up listening to the same stuff or using the default workout playlists but I'm getting tired of it. Not to mention I question many of the song choices that spotify or users pick for the workout playlists.

Hey fitness gaf, I've got another newbie question. In the OP, and other places I've read, the Deadlift is recomended to do only 1 set of 5, instead of 3 sets of 5 like other barbell exercises. Why is this? I've been doing my Deadlifts 3x5 since getting introduced to them that way.

It's because the workout plan in the OP has you doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout. It's very tough to both with the same intensity, so deadlifts, which are done second, are done with much less volume.

ILoveBish

Does anyone have a good workout playlist on spotify or music to recommend so I can make a playlist?

I usually end up listening to the same stuff or using the default workout playlists but I'm getting tired of it. Not to mention I question many of the song choices that spotify or users pick for the workout playlists.

What genre?

ILoveBish

When it comes to squats, I've learned to go more by feel. When you feel the bar completely centered going down then up, you're likely on the right track. You don't want the weight shifting in any direction at all. Don't over think the cues. Getting oly shoes helped a lot for me personally, as did getting a belt. But I do my first 3 warm up sets on every lift raw, then the next 3 using belt/chalk if needed. That way my raw strength keeps increasing even if slowly. Squat gets really hard really fast. But it's still worth doing without question.

I usually listen to rock, metal, hip, rap. Basically if it has a guitar or beat along with lyrics that hype me up, I'll listen to it for my workout. I'm open to other genres since recently I've started using some instrumentals.

I listen to trance and edm in general, so I'm of no help to you on this lol.

Second week of keto and my water weight is gone and the crappy poops have started. Looks like I'm good to go.

I need to start making my chocolate protein fiber muffin things.

All aboard the keto train. I'm making this soon:

http://m.sugarfreemom.com/3bj18nw/articles/21110/Low-Carb-Pumpkin-Cheesecake-Mousse

Will report back with results. I'm all out of cream cheese.

Anyone wear knee sleeves / wraps for squats?

My knees are starting to make horrible clunking noises when I squat and it's really beginning to concern me. It doesn't hurt, but I'm sort of half waiting for my knee to dislocate or something (my left knee used to dislocate regularly if I twisted it in any way).

bchamba

My knees are starting to make horrible clunking noises when I squat and it's really beginning to concern me. It doesn't hurt, but I'm sort of half waiting for my knee to dislocate or something (my left knee used to dislocate regularly if I twisted it in any way).

I regularly wear knee sleeves and even though I bough them 1-2 sizes down they still don't do anything besides keeping my knees warm.

Chocobro

Anybody ever have the bar uneven on your back when squatting? I have poor mobility in my right shoulder so I can't get the bar as low as it is on my left shoulder causing it to be uneven. I've never noticed until I started to film myself because it's always felt even on me. I've tried having my brother even it out on my back before unracking and when he does only then does it feel uneven. It's never affected me on warmups like this or on 90%+ lifts. Think it's worth spending extra time stretching out my right shoulder before squatting?

Also that bottom right pic isn't from the bottom of my squat.

Might as well mobilize your right shoulder.

My shoulders are uneven mostly due to minor scoliosis. My right shoulder is slightly lower and a bit forward than my left shoulder. It's most noticeable when I bench, one shoulder gets out of position mid-set sometime. It's less noticeable when I squat because the bar is on my traps.

siddhu33

Cheat day today...feels good man. What isn't so good though is the ridiculous amounts of soda around the house, keeps making me want to go get a 2l bottle and drink it! i dont crave it as much though, so thats good.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Session 4 done. Still need to eat better but this program... every time I finish my work sets I am astonished that I managed it as I still cannot fathom increasing weight so regularily. My inexperience plays a part but dang...

Also a proud moment yesterday. Caught myself bending forward on one of my reps during the last set of squats, promptly corrected and sat back down into position.

Bowser

I don't have any, although I'm looking into getting some myself. The three I've heard the most about are the Slingshots ($65), the Rehband 7051s ($80), and the SBDs ($90). Doing a little research, the SBDs seem to be universally recommended as the best/most effective, but they are only sold at http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/sbd-knee-sleeves-p/sbd-knee-sleeves-pair.htm in the US and the most common sizes (S-L) aren't in stock.

Here's a video on the difference between the Rehbands and SBDs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04Ab6adT20

Might give the Rehbands a shot, my knees tend to get pretty sore when I get to my squat work sets. If I'm not mistaken, Cooter has a pair.

GrapeApes

I've heard SBD actually add a couple pounds to your squat since they are so tight. I use Titan knee sleeves. They're serviceable but one knee sleeve has gotten stretched out. Haven't even had them for a year. I just have to pull one up further. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hard to tell from the video since it's from behind but it looks like you're crossing your wrists and holding that way?

Yep. Here is another angle.
http://youtu.be/nB41s6rbN_w

Yeah I had to switch to BB grip eventually myself, just feels sooo mush better

I had to do the same. Wrists were taking too much of a beating.

Have you been doing beach security on weekends Brolic?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008325

Lol, no.

And I wear sleeves, but I save them for when I need them. (Knees are getting sore, or I'm in for a taxing day).

ILoveBish

I had to break my fast 3 hours early this morning, just struggling. Deadlift yesterday likely did me in. Oh well. If the cage is open when I get to the gym today, then it's squat day, otherwise it's bench day.

Sadetar

Hooray for me. Exactly one year ago I first time in my life set a foot on the nice floor of a gym. From that on I have been somewhat consistent (Christmas time when gym was closed and a holiday week aside). A year and one day ago if someone would have said to me that it would become a habit and I would miss going there I wouldn't have believed. I have been happily surprised about how easy it has been. This is definitely only the beginning.

I have managed to heal my herniated disk but now I am dealing with piriformis syndrome. I better be able to heal that within couple months and start doing glute bridges and Romanian deadlifts again. It would be nice for a change to have some injury free quality time. I am also slowly planning to change my work out routines and perhaps stop doing pilates and do something else instead when I am feeling better. Going to gym three times a week would be awesome, but then I would need to figure out new gym programme. What do you think, is it alright to squat three times a week with low weights for the time being?

Have you been doing beach security on weekends Brolic?
Hahahah. Loved your comment. :D

I love the dude who commented the average gaffer could shove a drunk dude as easily as that cop did.

People have no concept of strength.
Yeah. That man on the video was a total beast. I can't imagine that many Gaffers in general would be able to do that. I don't think that even all of us from here could do it to be honest. Some for sure, but not all, at least not that easily.

I have also always imagined Brolic is huge, but I have no idea how big he really is. Brolic, do you mind telling how tall are you and how much you weight just for reference?

Fixed a mechanical flaw in my squat with the help of a very strong powerlifter in my gym. So damn pumped to do back squats again next monday. It feels good fixing shit in your form.

My cycling challenge on Saturday has obliterated my knee and wrist. Adding that to the shoulder injury I already had, it looks like I'm going to be off the weights for a few weeks. I think I can probably do curls with my right arm, and that's about it.

Evo X

So how do you guys handle the whole wardrobe situation? Do you constantly keep buying new stuff, or wait until you reach your "final form" then do a whole lot of shopping at once?

Some of my favorite shirts don't fit me anymore and my jeans are getting super tight.

I thought, no big deal, I'll just replace them. But today I found the worst thing.

I started lifting right as winter started and now that spring is here I decided to take my motorcycle for a spin.

Well, it turns out that I've gotten so wide that I can barely zip up my jacket. This is gonna be a problem, as this is a fitted $700 leather racing jacket, not some $10 tee that I can keep swapping every time I go up a size.

What do I do GAF? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom