• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchamba

Good to know. Would you agree with my instructor that I should stay at the same weight and increase reps? Or do you think it's not really much of a problem and I should go back to 3x5 and increase weight.

I would probably increase reps until you start to become more stable because you definitely don't want to have that issue when the 5 reps become hard with heavier weight. Try to also hit those stabilizers in your back with pull ups and rear delt flys. I think flat dumbbell presses would also help out your stabilizers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm sure with your frame and genetics you're good for it.

And I'm just glad I can train legs, even if it takes a while to get back where I once was.

Hope you're right. 700lbs is legit strong at any weight and even better sub 300/280 body weight.

I'm glad you can train legs too. You've taken a beating, so it's great you're finding stuff you can do and working around your issues. I can only imagine your potential if your chosen career didn't beat you into the ground.

Progression pic time cuz fuckit, im proud/starving, even if this is more diet related than fitness related. All with loose stomach at same time of night cuz no point cheating comparison pix.

Day 0, january 6, 95kg
ucqV3a0.jpg

Day... 28, february 3, 87kg

Today, day... 62, 82kg

Curiously, weight loss resulted in the appearance of a larger back. Noice.
Pretty damn happy with the shortcut so far. Gon' keep hitting no more than 1500kcal daily and see how close we can get to 10%. If/when we reach 15%, new shortcut starts.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
lol, don't starve yourself too much. youll lose the weight but itll be with muscle too and thats no good. cant believe 1500 calorie days are a thing even though i go with 1600 when cutting on a rest day. also, any recs on cardio? im tried as hell after my workout but wanna get my endurance up... HIIT is a no go cause ill die after any session.

Chocobro

My bench has been pretty shit lately and I decided to measure my biacromial distance to calculate where I "should" be gripping. It's a lot narrower than I thought it would be. I was gripping a tiny bit more than 2x my biacromial distance so I guess that explains a lot.

I'm a bit curious how you guys determined your bench grip width. Trial and error to see what feels strongest? Or used 1.5x your biacromial distance and played around with it from there?

RoeBear

Pull ups are substantially easier after just 2 weeks on a cut. It always surprises me.
Of course it is you're already way lighter! Good job though :)
Progression pic time cuz fuckit, im proud/starving, even if this is more diet related than fitness related. All with loose stomach at same time of night cuz no point cheating comparison pix.

Day 0, january 6, 95kg

Today, day... 62, 82kg

Pretty damn happy with the shortcut so far. Gon' keep hitting no more than 1500kcal daily and see how close we can get to 10%. If/when we reach 15%, new shortcut starts.
Yeah 1500 cals a day is super low unless you're like 4'8''.

On a brighter side, all of my complaining over the weekend was for nothing. Today I did legs and my veins were crazy. I've never had so many while working my legs out. I pretty much had my shorts hiked up like running shorts the whole time I was at the gym!

Day 0, january 6, 95kg

Today, day... 62, 82kg

Nice! Right now I have more or less the body fat like your second pic. I should cut down some more calories too.

Evo X

In 4 months of lifting, I've doubled my benchpress, tripled my arm strength, and quadrupled my leg strength.

I think now is a good time to start cutting and reset before trying a clean bulk in the future. Need to get rid of this belly before beach season.

Anyone know of a good diet & exercise plan that can help me achieve that while maintaining my strength levels?

I think I will look pretty good if I lose ~10 lbs of fat. What's a reasonable time frame to accomplish that?

yogloo

I just tried iso sensation 93 Cafe Brazil protein powder.
God Fucking Damnit. This is the best protein I have ever tasted. It tastes like friggin frappucino. I'm actually looking forward to drink it again.
I would rate it 9.5/10 in terms of taste.
Previously I have tried:
On double chocolate 6.5/10
On banana strawberry 6/10
Previously I would rate on double chocolate a 7/10. But this is so good that it makes me dread finishing my leftover on.

sphinx

the piano man
Today I did legs and my veins were crazy. I've never had so many while working my legs out. I pretty much had my shorts hiked up like running shorts the whole time I was at the gym!

I was about to post about this :p yesterday for the first time ever I saw my veins on my arms during workout, left one to be precise.

I had never noticed even a glimpse of veins.

is there a meaning to vascularity?? am I doing something right or wrong or neither?

My bench has been pretty shit lately and I decided to measure my biacromial distance to calculate where I "should" be gripping. It's a lot narrower than I thought it would be. I was gripping a tiny bit more than 2x my biacromial distance so I guess that explains a lot.

I'm a bit curious how you guys determined your bench grip width. Trial and error to see what feels strongest? Or used 1.5x your biacromial distance and played around with it from there?
I make sure my arms are 90 degrees when they come down. Not sure where I heard that from but it seems to be the most comfortable and strongest position for me.

despire

Of course it is you're already way lighter! Good job though :)

Yeah 1500 cals a day is super low unless you're like 4'8''.

On a brighter side, all of my complaining over the weekend was for nothing. Today I did legs and my veins were crazy. I've never had so many while working my legs out. I pretty much had my shorts hiked up like running shorts the whole time I was at the gym!

Not necessarily. It depends on training as well. For example Lyle McDonald's RFLD works super well even though it's just around 1100kcal for most people, because the training volume is kept so low. Most people don't lose muscle on that diet if they do it right.

BumRush

I was about to post about this :p yesterday for the first time ever I saw my veins on my arms during workout, left one to be precise.

I had never noticed even a glimpse of veins.

is there a meaning to vascularity?? am I doing something right or wrong or neither?

It means you're getting ripped, son!

andycapps

Watched Layne Norton's video recently on how to do a proper squat, and I'm realizing I might have been missing some details up to now. Did squats and front squats on Sunday and I'm still feeling the DOMS. Don't think I'd been getting full depth up till then due to long femurs making it difficult, but getting it now and feels like a totally new exercise.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Bodybuilding.com teamed up with Arnold Schwarzenegger to release his blueprint that he used on a cut during his prime. In the video he goes through various topics but also addresses ways to stay motivated and hungry. I found it really inspirational and I am now definitely more determined than ever to lean down before I leave to Europe at the end of May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcM9CZMMDkU

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Watched Layne Norton's video recently on how to do a proper squat, and I'm realizing I might have been missing some details up to now. Did squats and front squats on Sunday and I'm still feeling the DOMS. Don't think I'd been getting full depth up till then due to long femurs making it difficult, but getting it now and feels like a totally new exercise.

Aside from the product placement that was actually a pretty legit video. My low-bar squats have been going up but I never quite feel like my glutes are activating properly on the ascent. Always feels like my back and quads are doing most of the work.

Gonna try to incorporate some of his cues tomorrow.

BumRush

really? is it a sign of some kind of progress?

Absolutely, it means you're gaining lean muscle and cutting fat. A lot of it has to do with genetics, but if you've never been vascular and you are now, it definitely means progress. Drinking MORE water, eating clean with high protein content and doing HIIT will all increase your vascularity.

Absolutely, it means you're gaining lean muscle and cutting fat. A lot of it has to do with genetics, but if you've never been vascular and you are now, it definitely means progress. Drinking MORE water, eating clean with high protein content and doing HIIT will all increase your vascularity.

This means I'll never have a lot of veins. Oh well not a big loss imo.

BumRush

I'm genetically not a very veiny guy. I'm sure I'll show some more as I keep lowering my bf% but it'll never be anything super impressive. Which is fine for me. Its not something I think about.

I'm the exact opposite. Good genetics when it comes to BF% and vascularity.

Sadetar

Day 0, january 6, 95kg

Today, day... 62, 82kg

Really nice lookings pics from the cut! You look great now. :D Just make sure to keep the muscles. :p

Askelmittari.
Hahahah, duly noted and kiitos. :D I wasn't that far off... ;)

me either but damn it, I want to get it this summer.

Getting closer and closer.
Oooooh. I am so waiting to see the results!

really? is it a sign of some kind of progress?
Definitely progress. Awesome work! :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Think I've hit a point in my training where I don't have to adhere to a program and train myself successfully. I'm gonna start doing max effort on one lift, and the similar lift I'll push volume not based off of percentages, but how I feel for the day. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's new for me.

So the two lifts I'm pushing now are deadlift and bench press. So OHP and squats are now volume.

Today I did OHP 3 sets at top and last rep amrap. Final set was 225x6 after two previous at same weight for 5. Then did 3 sets of 10 at 135. Also added in high rep low weight wide grip upright rows.

Top sets in the video. Log in description. A ton of volume and my upper back smoked.

http://youtu.be/94DW_eBIQa4

BumRush

Think I've hit a point in my training where I can not adhere to a program and train myself. I'm gonna start doing max effort on one lift, and the similar lift I'll push volume not based off of percentages, but how I feel for the day. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's new for me.

So the two lifts I'm pushing now are deadlift and bench press. So OHP and squats are now volume.

Today I did OHP 3 sets at top and last rep amrap. Final set was 225x6 after two previous at same weight for 5. Then did 3 sets of 10 at 135. Also added in high rep low weight wide grip upright rows.

Top sets in the video. Log in description. A ton of volume and my upper back smoked.

http://youtu.be/94DW_eBIQa4

If you're at this place and you're serious about shows and shit, why not get a trainer?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If you're at this place and you're serious about shows and shit, why not get a trainer?

Huh? Not sure I'm understanding you. If I know how to train myself, why would I need a trainer? I got is far without one and educating myself. Most I would want is a training team/partner and those are hard to find.

ILoveBish

After having lunch, I felt a lot better and hit the gym. Got 370x5 on deadlift and felt really strong. Back at 1400 calories and hopefully fixed sleep schedule.

Pyrokai

Hey guys....a little confused here.

I've made some remarkable changes in the past two years, and I've almost achieved what I want. Have a couple questions right now because I'm starting to get confused and don't really know what to do from this point forward.

I'm currently 175 lbs. My build is ALMOST what I want. I'm in pretty decent shape but I still have some fat I'd like to get rid of but I'd also like to put on some more muscle.

However, 175lbs. is pretty much what I've wanted as far as my weight. Essentially, I'd like to be the exact same weight I am right now but I want to have more muscle and less fat.

I know that's basically what everyone says, but I'm trying to bulk and then cut, right? But I don't want to bulk another 10 pounds. I really can't afford a new wardrobe right now and my pants are already a bit snug. So what can/should I do if I want to put on muscle?

If I bulk to put on more muscle, for say, 3 months and put on--let's say 10-15 pounds, then cut until I'm 175 again will that essentially get me what I want? Or is there another way to do this?

It's hard for me to describe what I want. I like where I'm at. I just want more muscle and less fat.

Hey guys....a little confused here.

I've made some remarkable changes in the past two years, and I've almost achieved what I want. Have a couple questions right now because I'm starting to get confused and don't really know what to do from this point forward.

I'm currently 175 lbs. My build is ALMOST what I want. I'm in pretty decent shape but I still have some fat I'd like to get rid of but I'd also like to put on some more muscle.

However, 175lbs. is pretty much what I've wanted as far as my weight. Essentially, I'd like to be the exact same weight I am right now but I want to have more muscle and less fat.

I know that's basically what everyone says, but I'm trying to bulk and then cut, right? But I don't want to bulk another 10 pounds. I really can't afford a new wardrobe right now and my pants are already a bit snug. So what can/should I do if I want to put on muscle?

If I bulk to put on more muscle, for say, 3 months and put on--let's say 10-15 pounds, then cut until I'm 175 again will that essentially get me what I want? Or is there another way to do this?

It's hard for me to describe what I want. I like where I'm at. I just want more muscle and less fat.

How is your current diet look like? Seems that you might be able to go up on protein and cut some carbs or fat, could help you stay the same weight while going through some body recomposition. Something like keto? I don't know those are my best suggestions. Others in here are much more knowledgable than me.

Just out of interest, why do you care about your actual weight? Is it for sports / competition purposes? I mean as a cyclist I simply can't put on too much weight... it's a massive negative, so it's all about power to weight ratio for me.

If it wasn't for that though, I don't think I'd care about any particular numbers as long as I looked how I wanted to look.

BumRush

Huh? Not sure I'm understanding you. If I know how to train myself, why would I need a trainer? I got is far without one and educating myself. Most I would want is a training team/partner and those are hard to find.

Oh my bad brolic, I read your first sentence to mean you could NOT train yourself any longer...too beastly, need professional help

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh my bad brolic, I read your first sentence to mean you could NOT train yourself any longer...too beastly, need professional help

Yeah, I worded it poorly. I meant I don't have to adhere to a program.

I would like to find a dedicated strongman team to train with, but the closest to me are in St. Louis which isn't too bad and Paducah Kentucky which is a bit of a haul.

Pyrokai

Just out of interest, why do you care about your actual weight? Is it for sports / competition purposes? I mean as a cyclist I simply can't put on too much weight... it's a massive negative, so it's all about power to weight ratio for me.

If it wasn't for that though, I don't think I'd care about any particular numbers as long as I looked how I wanted to look.

Well, to be honest, I don't really care. From the get-go, I've just wanted to always be 180 pounds of solid muscle, lol. Like, I want most of that weight to be muscle with very little fat. That's what I've been striving for for a few years now.

I feel like that's within my grasp, and that's really the only reason. I know it's corny. But otherwise, I know it's more worthwhile to be concerned with what I look like rather than what I weigh.

I'm honestly thinking of just doing a bulk for 3 months and then cut for 3 months and see where that gets me. I'll bulk on a 40p/30c/30f diet and see where I'm at in the middle of June. Then, if I'm happy with the muscle I've put on, I'll focus almost entirely on cutting by doing a different routine (to spice things up) but also eating a bit less so that I'm actually losing some fat.

How does that sound?

Oh, and:

How is your current diet look like? Seems that you might be able to go up on protein and cut some carbs or fat, could help you stay the same weight while going through some body recomposition. Something like keto? I don't know those are my best suggestions. Others in here are much more knowledgable than me.

Is it even possible to gain muscle while on keto? I don't think I could find/afford enough food to gain weight while on keto.....and I know insulin spikes after a workout are what help your body store/build muscle. So....is it possible? My current diet is pretty good. I keep a good p/c/f ratio MOST days. I always make sure to get lots of protein.

Is it even possible to gain muscle while on keto? I don't think I could find/afford enough food to gain weight while on keto.....and I know insulin spikes after a workout are what help your body store/build muscle. So....is it possible? My current diet is pretty good. I keep a good p/c/f ratio MOST days. I always make sure to get lots of protein.

You can, of course, but it's not the ideal strategy.

Sounds like you have a plan for bulking / cutting... next step would be giving it a try.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Do anti-inflammatory pills like ibuprofen negatively affect muscle growth? Is there any downside specifically in the context of working out in using them? I don't use them because I'm sore, I use them once in a while for other reasons but wanted to make sure they didn't have a negative impact on my gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom