• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bored at work is why God gave us Monster Hunter 4U.

(But yeah, sometimes).

Hah, still gotta pretend like I'm actually doing work sadly . Otherwise I would bust out my 3DS and start playing through majora's mask.

Faiz

Hah, still gotta pretend like I'm actually doing work sadly . Otherwise I would bust out my 3DS and start playing through majora's mask.

Honestly I think I have an easier time concealing the 3DS than I do any exercises. I've had so many snide comments and looks from insecure people just from doing some push ups, stretches, and band-pulls in my office.

J. Bravo

My friend and I would do dips at the front desk when we worked at a gym. During the slow hours no one gave two shits since its a goddamn gym. lol.

Fox318

I'm gonna eat 50 calories a day til I reach my goal weight.

7YgskXv.jpg

Nevermind

DOWN

Banned
Since I'm on spring break almost two weeks, I signed up at Planet Fitness and someone set off the Lunk Alarm about ten minutes in. Also, I don't really sweat from activity (a hot environment seems so be what it takes for me, so basically no sweating in a cool gym even an hour in), so I feel odd standing there wiping a dry seat and then walking up to another one to find it wet with someone else's sweat still. Oh well.

That reese's krispy kreme pic made me glad that i don't live in the US. Wouldn't have resisted such a thing.

Since I'm on spring break almost two weeks, I signed up at Planet Fitness and someone set off the Lunk Alarm about ten minutes in. Also, I don't really sweat from activity (a hot environment seems so be what it takes for me, so basically no sweating in a cool gym even an hour in), so I feel odd standing there wiping a dry seat and then walking up to another one to find it wet with someone else's sweat still. Oh well.

..You're supposed to wipe the seat after you're done?

That sounds like one of those magical things that everybody is supposed to do but no one does, like, say, re-racking weights after use.

That sounds like one of those magical things that everybody is supposed to do but no one does, like, say, re-racking weights after use.

I actually put a towel down anywhere my sweaty body is going to hit. So I lay on one on the bench, put one on a seat etc.

Then a quick wipe to be sure it's dry when I leave. But I don't really use gyms in public aside from hotels, so I have no idea of etiquette.

manfestival

I really hate running and any sort of long endurance slowburn cardio exercise. Do you guys think turning to plyometrics and HIT would be a good suitable replacement? I would rather do short intense cardio exercises but I want to increase my endurance in the process

ILoveBish

I hit the gym and some dude who looked like he was on crack was in front of the cage. I asked if he was using the cage and he yelled that he just got it. I just laughed at his seriousness and went to do bench instead. I finished bench with 5x210, last rep being a grind but got it. I looked and the guy had left the cage.

I don't like doing 2 days of compounds in one day, but so many people are using the cage these days, and there is only one in the entire gym, so when it clears, I have to use it. I go and start doing squats and got 5x305 pretty easily.

As far as cleaning stuff at the gym, I won't use a bench without cleaning it first.

Also real talk, the picture of the doughnuts do nothing for new. Looks nasty actually.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I always re-rack the weights. As for wiping things down I do that before I start my workout.

I really hate running and any sort of long endurance slowburn cardio exercise. Do you guys think turning to plyometrics and HIT would be a good suitable replacement? I would rather do short intense cardio exercises but I want to increase my endurance in the process

What sort of endurance do you want? If you want to be able to run / cycle long distances then HIIT will only go so far to help. You'll be fitter, for sure, but your muscles wont adapt to deal with the demands of long distances / durations.

That's especially true of running.

Well, I just started weight training, and I want to vent my experiences with someone. I can tell no one in my vicinity really cares when I’ve tried to broach the subject, so I’m gonna do it here instead. Warning: incoming wall of text, feel free to ignore.

Anyway, I’m puny as fuck. Pretty much never did any lifting before in my life. And I don’t know the first thing about this stuff (but I’m getting fascinated with the subject and doing some research online). Also, my body coordination is horrible, so I need someone very patient to show me how to do each move, which is why I recruited a personal trainer to help me put together a routine and show me how everything is done, starting from a couple of weeks ago. So far, I’m having a lot more fun than I expected. I expected to hate it and that I would dread going every time, but I look forward to going to the gym each day I do.

So the trainer put together three routines for me: one full-body routine, one lower body routine and one upper body routine. Ideally, I should do them each once per week, but I’m finding it hard to find the time to go more than twice most weeks. I really enjoy the program. I think many people here (where you seem to be really into starting strength and 5X5 powerlifts) will think the rep range is too high for many of the exercises (6-8 for the compound movements at the start of the routines, 10-12 for some of the auxiliary exercises and 12-15 for a few other exercises). But I like it this way. Well sort of, because the high rep exercises always kill me above ten or so reps, but I guess that is sort of the point? From what I’ve read, that’s how you can really break down the muscles and get some hypertrophy?

Anyway, the full-body routine starts with barbell deadlifts. Two sets in low rep range, and two sets in a higher rep range (of course with lighter loads). And let me just say: I fucking love deadlifts! Nothing makes me feel more manly than hurling these giant pieces of metal off the floor. And afterwards I’m sweating like crazy. I just love how it hits your whole body. I sweat almost as much after one set of deadlifts as I do after 30 mins of cardio. And I have to grunt like a fucking animal in my last reps. Sorry to anyone else in the room! Anyway, I’ve only had time to do this routine two times on my own, but I feel like I progress relatively quickly. At first, I was scared of just lifting the bar with two 5 kg plates, but I was lifting 50 kg in no time. I think I will add 5 kg to the bar every time I do the full body work-out, for as long as I can keep hitting the reps while doing so. 50 kg is nothing to most guys, but for it feels really good. :) Sometimes I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be doing at the top of the lift. Should I bring my shoulders back? Or squeeze the lats? I need to make sure to ask the trainer next session we’re doing deadlifts. Only thing is I’ve read online that it can be quite risky, and that you risk hernia. But I should be ok as long as I check my form at the start of each rep and make sure I don’t round my back right? Another thing, there seems to be some controversy about whether the shoulders should be slightly in front of the bar at the start of the lift, or straight above the bar at the start of the lift. Different people say different things online. Why does it matter? Is it about how much back to use in relation to legs? Is it just a function of your bodily proportions? Anyway, my trainer told me to keep the shoulders straight above the bar. I should ask him about this too. And make sure to really let the bar come to a full stop between each rep. (Sometimes I see some guys who talk a lot about cross-fit in the gym. Not really sure what cross-fit is, but they seem to have some pretty bad habits. They start out with pretty good form, but each set they get progressively worse the more reps they crack out. And they don’t let the bar come to a full stop at the bottom. Just touch and go, without resetting the form. And the back becomes increasingly rounded for each set they are doing.)

Then I do leg press. Two sets in low-rep range and two sets in middle rep range. Not really a lot to say about that. On my second time I hit my reps with 100 kg load, which felt pretty cool I guess. I guess that’s the appeal of this exercise. Putting on a lot of plates to feel ultra-buff.

Then standing dumbbell press superset with dumbbell lateral raises in a mid-rep range. I fucking suck at these shoulder exercises. For the presses I start out with 5 kg dumbbells, but won’t hit my reps in my last set, where I need to go to lighter dumbbells. For the raises I can barely hit my reps with 3 kg dumbbells. For the presses, I have a really hard time stabilizing my core through the movement. So I really need to work on that.

Then dumbbell bench press, which is pretty fun. I like how the blood soars into my chest after the last set. Again I’m using pitifully low weights. I think my pecs are even weaker than my shoulder. Just pitiful.

Then sitting rows on cable machine for high reps. Not much to say about this, except that the last reps of the sets nearly kill me. For some reason, my lower arms get quite exhausted, so I guess that could mean that I’m sort of cheating and letting the arms take too much of the load?

Then lat pulldowns for 10-12 reps. I feel pretty sure I’m doing this wrong, because it doesn’t really feel like they hit the back a lot. By the end of the sets I again feel more exhausted in my lower arms. That’s the full-body workout.

Lower body workout starts with barbell squats for sets of 6-8 reps. I’m fucking weak on barbell squats. I can do just fine with just the bar, but the first time I went on my own, I got cocky after that, so I added another 10 kg for a total of 30kg, and I miserably failed my fifth rep. Couldn’t get up from the deep position. I suck at them but I fucking love them too. Next time I went I did well with 25 kg. So next time, I will try 30 kg again! You will go down 30 kg barbell!! :< :< :/ I just love that feeling of thinking that I may die when I’m at the bottom of the movement. Not knowing whether I will be able to stand up again or not. It’s like a real-life Souls game boss, after you got them down to half health and really don’t want to die and lose all that progress. Feels fucking good. After my last set I can’t walk for a couple of minutes. Fuck yeah!

Then we have goblet squats, to hit the front parts of the legs a bit more, for intermediate-to-high reps.

And then MORE DEADLIFTS! Fuck yeah!! Higher rep range than on full-body day, so I lower the weight a bit.

And then sumo deadlifts. Fuck yeah! Really hits my hamstrings real good.

And then some lunges with one foot behind me on a chair or bench or something, for high reps. I’m supposed to them with weights, but my balance is so fucking bad that just hitting my reps with bodyweight is a huge ordeal. I’m literally shaking after maybe just five reps. I hate them. I love them.

And then I do hip extensions on my back on the floor for high reps. This one is pretty easy to me. I really like the burn during the last few reps, but compared to other high-rep exercises I do, I find it a lot easier. I have a feeling that a month from now, they will be too easy for me. Is there a safe way to add some weight or something to make them harder? I know I can do them with one leg, but I’m too weak for that. But I guess it’s nice with a high-rep exercise that makes me feel good rather, than like I want to kill myself in the last reps.

Then leg curl machine for high reps, which I don’t really like. It just feels like a really awkward movement somehow. I am told to hold for a second when I’m at the back (full bend) of the movement, but after the first half of my sets I can’t even get that far back. Is that an indication that I should lower the weight, or should I just accept a smaller range of movement for the last reps in each set? It doesn’t really get better if I lower the weight a bit. I still feel unable to do the full range of motion at the back of each set.

Finish up leg day with weighted one-legged calf raises. Feels good, man.

After my first leg day I couldn’t walk for four days. Stairs were the bane of my existence. Felt bad, man.

Then upper body day. Start with barbell bench press. Did I mention my chest is fucking weak? Because it’s fucking weak. I’m supposed to start with two sets for high reps, which I do with just the bar. And it’s mostly fine. Then two sets for low reps (6-8). I add just 2.5 kg on each side of the bar, but still I’m unable to do more than five reps in each set. My chest fucking sucks. Did I mention it sucks? Usually my left side fails first. This happens in almost all of my exercises for upper body. My left side fucking sucks :(

Then incline barbell bench press for intermediate reps. I forgot down to write down what angle the bench should be. I will have to ask next time. 30 degrees, or slightly lower fine? Again, my left side lets me down. You suck left side of my body!! :<

And then I do some kind of rowing variation with a barbell. This one is really easy for me. Don’t know why. It’s one where I stand on the ground and lean forward. The angle between my back and the floor is supposed to be pretty low. Below 45 degrees by quite a bit. I pull the bar up, with an underhand grip, from fully extended arms towards my stomach. The bar doesn’t touch the ground until after the set is complete. Anyone knows what this row variation is called in English? Dunno, this one is really easy for me. Maybe I’m cheating somehow? Pretty soon the special pre-loaded short barbells they have at my gym for this one (and for biceps curls I think) will be too light for me. Then I guess I will have to use a deadlift bar?

And then I do some kind of back exercise on the cable machine, where I lean back slightly and pull a rope to my face or something.

And then I do assisted pull-ups for intermediate reps. These fucking kill me. Regardless of how much assistance I put in, I will be pretty much dead after my first set. My second and third sets are always pathetic compared to the first one. According to my routine I’m only allowed to rest for 60 seconds between sets, but I don’t see how such a thing is even possible. Even if I cheat and rest an extra minute, I still can’t do the latter sets properly.

And then sitting dumbbell presses. Did I say before that my shoulders suck? They fucking suck. Especially left shoulder. Fuck you, left shoulder. I will break you down and force you to behave, one day.

Then I do some kind of front dumbbell raise thingy for sets of 10-12 reps. I was far too fucking cocky with the weights I chose here today. Everyone could witness my shame as I started cheating more and more with my form, not keeping my back and core stable. And then they witnessed my shame as I had to lower the weight for each following set. By the end to punish myself for my insolence I did a drop set with lower and lower weights until exhaustion with each weight. By the end I was standing there with 1 kg dumbbells. A sorry sight :(

Last exercise of this day is for the core. I think it’s called Pallof press. I dunno, you use a cable machine and press out your arms out (and bring them in again) for high reps, while your core is supposed to keep you from rotating towards the weight. First you do your reps with the cable machine to your one side, and then you do it with the cable machine to your other side. And again, my left side is much weaker than the right side. I didn’t even think that was possible for the core. My left side transcends all logic and physics in its quest to keep me down, it seems. Anyway, this exercise is a lot harder than it looks. By the end of my sets, I was grunting out really loud again. Everyone else at the gym must hate men. Fuck them.

Anyway, I’m kicking myself for not starting going to the gym earlier in my life. It’s actually all kinds of fun. And I feel great afterwards. I tried a bit a year ago, but then I had a really shitty routine with a lot of machines and stuff. Wasn’t enjoying it much at all. Much more fun with free weights!

Oh, and it should take a couple of months or so before I start seeing visible results, right? Just so I don’t get disappointed and discouraged by lack of visual results. But at the end of today’s session, it actually looked like my shoulders were a bit bigger than they were when I started out. Probably my imagination, though. The rest of my body is still a pitiable mess.

Wow, that sure is a wall of text. Sorry guys.

Then I do some kind of front dumbbell raise thingy for sets of 10-12 reps. I was far too fucking cocky with the weights I chose here today. Everyone could witness my shame as I started cheating more and more with my form, not keeping my back and core stable. And then they witnessed my shame as I had to lower the weight for each following set. By the end to punish myself for my insolence I did a drop set with lower and lower weights until exhaustion with each weight. By the end I was standing there with 1 kg dumbbells. A sorry sight :(

Bro. For reals.

No one at the gym is paying attention to how much weight you're lifting. And nearly no one is paying attention to you form. If they're regulars, they've their own stuff to pay attention to.

Chill. No reason to beat yourself up over stuff like that.

Bro. For reals.

No one at the gym is paying attention to how much weight you're lifting. And nearly no one is paying attention to you form. If they're regulars, they've their own stuff to pay attention to.

Chill. No reason to beat yourself up over stuff like that.

I know, just spicing up my language a bit :)

Yeah... I can't read that. lol

I'm going to assume that you're just a bit rambly and if you actually need help on something specific then you'll ask specifically.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The only time I've broken concentration if a fine ass honey is being all fine and shit. Outside of that, I have never fixated on another persons workout, like, at all. Maybe glance if a dude is putting up crazy weight.

sphinx

the piano man
I have to admit... sometimes if someone is doing something very very weird, I do think "what in the world is he doing??"

happened to me today,

I have to admit... sometimes if someone is doing something very very weird, I do think "what in the world is he doing??"

happened to me today,
Tuesday, I saw a guy deadlifting. But he was gripping on the holes in the plates. Because he was only using 1 plate (and a ten, 155lbs). I don't know what that's about.

Sadetar

I have totally non-excisting butt if looked straight from the back. Any exercise to make that pitiful thing wider or is it all about genetics? If so I think I just need to continue burning the extra fat and get a smaller waist that would make the ass hopefully look a bit bigger.

Today also finally went up with the weights on squats. Didn't feel bad at all. Next time I am going to use the lighter bar and if it still feels good I am just going to start to use the regular one. I just wish I could work out like normal people do. I am so fed up with these injuries.

Had one of those bioimpedance measurements done today. Not any of those at home crap but with a somewhat better machine. I know they are not 100% accurate but this is basically the best I can get. The machine should be pretty good as it's the one they use in clinics and hospitals around here and it was calibrated last week.

Anyway for the results..

- I was one cm longer than I thought.

- Bodyfat%: 17,9.

I had myself figure it would be way over 20% but I'm not really qualified in any way to make that estimation. Most of the calculators online give me around the same number anyway so I guess it's the best estimate I can get.

-Weight: 83,7 kg

-Fat mass: 15 kg

Basically my muscle mass was over the "normal range" for a caucasian man of my age. Bodyfat levels were within normal range but a bit in the upper portion. Waist-hip ratio was 0,87 (a bit on the higher end). Muscle balance was good between limbs but I had relatively more muscle mass in my legs compared to normal. Comparatively my torso was lagging just a little bit.

The machine also told I was 2% dehydrated (ECF/TBF and ECW/TBW) which according to the man measuring me would translate in up to 15-20% drop in training ability. I haven't been able to get as much drink this week as I would've liked and it was visible here. Also apparently my training volume, amount of sleep and food aren't in balance which also contributes to the dehydration levels. I've been on minus calories since january so maybe this is expected.
Now I am curious were did you have this done and how much did it cost. Did it tell you how much of pure muscle mass you have on you? :D

Nice numbers I need to say. I might want something like that done when I have hit my goal weight just to see where I would really be. At the moment I know I lack with sleep and proper food. I have also always had hart time drinking enough. I am never thirsty.

Been putting in quite some work on my mobility recently and my squats almost feel natural to me now. Because of my hips and ankles squatting has always felt "wrong". Even squatting normally without weights has felt like a movement i wasnt built to do. So its nice to be able to fix that.

Here is a video from last nights workout. Still a tiny bit of hip tuck at the bottom, but man it has gotten a lot better!
I watched the video and also went through your pics on instagram. I admit I was laughing so hard to couple of the posts in there. :p

But yeah, on another note you look damn good like always and I am so jealous of that flexibility of yours. Also I wouldn't have recognized you from the earlier pics. The beard suits you.

252 lbs as of this morning. Celebrated with biscuits and gravy.
Biscuits and gravy... you hopefully didn't mix those two now did you?

Does anyone else here get bored at work and start doing random body weight exercises to pass the time? I work in a small office with only 4-5 people (they each have their own office) and I really only have about 2 hours of work at the most.

I can only browse NeoGAF and Reddit so much before I get bored in my chair and just start squatting and bending rulers to learn how to engage lats in a bench.
Sounds familiar. I usually just do walking lunges while I wonder around hoping nobody sees me.

Cool, a fellow spiltter on FitGaf.
Hahahah, seriously, if I would be as flexible and awesome as you are, I would also be a show-off. <3

The only time I've broken concentration if a fine ass honey is being all fine and shit. Outside of that, I have never fixated on another persons workout, like, at all. Maybe glance if a dude is putting up crazy weight.
I am quite much the same. There needs to be some totally fine ass or a manbeast for me to pay attention. I also admit I have once stared at so bad camel toe it was somewhat annoying. I wasn't the only one looking at it though. I think she could have put on some underwears or picked not as sheer work out pants at least.

I have once in a while had a word with people just to ask can I work in or can they unrack their weights before leaving. Also short discussions about form have taken place with people I know, but generally I assume that most people just do their thing and then are out.

SeanR1221

Two missed gym days now :/

So Monday I woke up and threw up. Ran a fever, chills, didn't leave the couch.

Tuesday, still kinda crappy. Whole body ached and no appetite.

Wednesday and today I just get these waves of nausea and have NO appetite. That's the worst part. I'm forcing food otherwise id end up eating under 1000 calories for the day.

This really sucks, I want it to pass.

I got a shocked look from a co worker when I said I haven't drank any beer in the past two years because I refuse to drink calories. Not sure she was impressed by the dedication or how much of a boring man I am.

People in an office environment really don't understand any diet that is not endorsed by Dr Oz anyways.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
And.....the worst part of a cut bears its ugly head today during chest day.

Bench is down slightly and everything was more difficult. Blah

ILoveBish

More of the drivers at work are coming to me for meal advice. Even they cant ignore the gainz and want on the train. They are sad when i tell them i eat all my food in a 4 hour window. That concept is difficult for them to grasp. "BUT YOU HAVE TO EAT ALL THE TIME TO KEEP METABOLISM UP".

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
More of the drivers at work are coming to me for meal advice. Even they cant ignore the gainz and want on the train. They are sad when i tell them i eat all my food in a 4 hour window. That concept is difficult for them to grasp. "BUT YOU HAVE TO EAT ALL THE TIME TO KEEP METABOLISM UP".
Welcome to my world. The world where borderline obese people tell me how not eating all day is unhealthy.

ILoveBish

Welcome to my world. The world where borderline obese people tell me how not eating all day is unhealthy.

Yep. I've set a trend tho, at least after all the bitching, they all get 0 calorie energy drinks. There used to be 20+ high calorie rock stars in the bin a day, now its 20+ 0 calorie ones lol, PROGRESS. One dude from that alone has lost 30lbs in 2 months.

Wednesday and today I just get these waves of nausea and have NO appetite. That's the worst part. I'm forcing food otherwise id end up eating under 1000 calories for the day.

Been there last month. Really sucks. Just have to wait it out.

Yep. I've set a trend tho, at least after all the bitching, they all get 0 calorie energy drinks. There used to be 20+ high calorie rock stars in the bin a day, now its 20+ 0 calorie ones lol, PROGRESS. One dude from that alone has lost 30lbs in 2 months.

Kinda surprised that they didnt go cray with all the fat Keto takes. Tends to drive normal diet folks up a wall something fierce. Heck, most people still think 2 eggs a day is the quickest road to a heart attack at 30.

Sounds like the time i had salmonella. I assume you went to a doctor already?

Sadetar

Awwww, Sean, poor babe. Hopefully you feel better soon!

I got a shocked look from a co worker when I said I haven't drank any beer in the past two years because I refuse to drink calories. Not sure she was impressed by the dedication or how much of a boring man I am.

People in an office environment really don't understand any diet that is not endorsed by Dr Oz anyways.
I honestly really don't appreciate the drinking culture. When did it become normal to drink till you are totally drunk but if you don't drink any alcohol you actually need to explain to everyone why you don't...

I guess I am also just utterly boring human being
and not pregnant years in a row like some may think.

In my world borderline obese people tell me how I will end up looking like a dude if I continue going to the gym.

ILoveBish

Kinda surprised that they didnt go cray with all the fat Keto takes. Tends to drive normal diet folks up a wall something fierce. Heck, most people still think 2 eggs a day is the quickest road to a heart attack at 30.

I don't even mention keto for themselves, i just want people to get a grasp on what they eat first, count calories, avoid sugar and starches and go from there. Keto is not for everyone, since most will not be dedicated enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom