• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally assume anyone bigger than me is on gear and anyone smaller than me just does cardio/do they even lift?/is lifting with terrible programming.

Haha. I know they're out there but when I meet or see a guy my size putting up bigger numbers than me I'm gonna be a little pissed. My defense mechanism will probably go straight to they're on gear!
lol I do the same thing really.

But on another note, everyone smaller than me thinks I'm on gear so eh.

There is this ONE guy at my gym though. I've known him since I lifted there. We are the same height, and he is a bit bigger than me, noticibly sometimes and he's also a bit stronger. It infuriates me watching him sometimes lol. It's like I'm always playing catch up when he's around.

I have the stronger bench though, so it's whatever. That's the only lift that matters right?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lol I do the same thing really.

But on another note, everyone smaller than me thinks I'm on gear so eh.

There is this ONE guy at my gym though. I've known him since I lifted there. We are the same height, and he is a bit bigger than me, noticibly sometimes and he's also a bit stronger. It infuriates me watching him sometimes lol. It's like I'm always playing catch up when he's around.

I have the stronger bench though, so it's whatever. That's the only lift that matters right?

The real kicker is when you realize your arms are shorter than his.

Lol.

There's a big BBer at my gym and dude is a beast, and on a bunch of shit. The only lift he's got me on is bench though, and his arms are T-Rex arms.

I have no doubt though with his muscle mass that if he went to strength focus it wouldn't take him long to get strong as hell.

Here's a video of him working. He's the one spotting. Also a really good dude.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10200206285751760

Leeness

LOL. Was going to work out today, but I have now decided that I'd rather get home from work, climb into my PJs and eat an entire pint of ice cream.

Fuck being a woman!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LOL. Was going to work out today, but I have now decided that I'd rather get home from work, climb into my PJs and eat an entire pint of ice cream.

Fuck being a woman!

Tough love incoming.

This has nothing to do with being a woman, it's simply being lazy.

This is why I'm wary of being telling others it's "okay" to skip a workout, because now you've done it twice in a row, think it's okay, and have even excused it away. This is exactly why people can't stick to "working out" you're on the wrong path right now, and if I remember right, you've been here before.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck being a woman!

Do you still have time? Go work out if you can. Just get it done, don't turn this day into a loss.

That progress thread really shows what happens when you get a bunch of like minded people together and share information. We've all helped each other get where we are in one way or another. And I've been to other fitness forums and this one is still the best I've found so far. I like that there's such a variety of goals here and there's a few people who really read and learn and put that information to the test so the advice given by some of the bigger regulars here isn't typically horse shit.

That progress thread also shows how lonely it is being a powerlifter, lol. I seem to be the only one focused on pure strength. It exactly mirrors my gym.

Don't worry, once I get big enough, I will go back to powerlifting.

Leeness

Tough love incoming.

This has nothing to do with being a woman, it's simply being lazy.

This is why I'm wary of being telling others it's "okay" to skip a workout, because now you've done it twice in a row, think it's okay, and have even excused it away. This is exactly why people can't stick to "working out" you're on the wrong path right now, and if I remember right, you've been here before.

Do you still have time? Go work out if you can. Just get it done, don't turn this day into a loss.

Men would change their tune if they hemorrhaged from the crotch and felt like they'd been kicked in the stomach by a horse for five days a month :p

Maybe I'll do 20 minutes or something but when my stomach hurts so much I'm breathing like I'm in labour and getting cold sweat, I'm generally not a happy person.

I worked out six days last week and will work out Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday this week. Be nice :p

Pizoxuat

I seem to be strongest right before my cycle starts, or maybe I am just so ticked off about cramps that I feel like pushing additional weight. Then have to take it easier on my heaviest bleeding day. But I always feel better after working out.

blackflag

I seem to be strongest right before my cycle starts, or maybe I am just so ticked off about cramps that I feel like pushing additional weight. Then have to take it easier on my heaviest bleeding day. But I always feel better after working out.

I'm strongest like 2 weeks after my cycle starts

edit: Oh we talking about menstruation. Disregard.

:D

Zoe

Yeah, know your limits, and my yoga instructors always say to not do inversions during that time, but it's really not that different from trying to recover from DOMS. Inactivity makes it worse.

J. Bravo

^^^ i assumed steroids or hgh too hahaha.

I ran today for some endurance/hiit today. i think that it was the first time i ran more than a mile in 5 years, since my senior cross country season lol. it went pretty well other than a shoulder cramp.

Teggy

It doesn't generally with mine. :( I've tried before and ended up throwing up... :(

Yeah, my wife gets cramps so bad that basically she has to be between the bed and bathroom for a day or so, so I can't hold it against you. You can be strong and not have the pint of ice cream, though.

iddqd

Question for the 5/3/1 Wendler folks (or people that know it)

I've been doing the program and I'm starting my sixth cycle, I've been using the BLACK IRON BEAST page to calculate all the sets and things.. http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
But changing the cycle leads to NO change in weight on the barbell.
Normally it should change now to 55% or then 60% of my max effort, but everything just stays the same as in the last two cycles.
Any ideas why?

Am I not supposed to go up in the last cycles? Do I have to re-calculate my max effort or do I just increase my max numbers a bit and go from there?

(hope this is understandable)

Sadetar

Men would change their tune if they hemorrhaged from the crotch and felt like they'd been kicked in the stomach by a horse for five days a month :p

Maybe I'll do 20 minutes or something but when my stomach hurts so much I'm breathing like I'm in labour and getting cold sweat, I'm generally not a happy person.

I worked out six days last week and will work out Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday this week. Be nice :p
Awwww. Poor babe. Go for a long nordic walk or something light like that if you can. They usually made me feel better.

Thank gods I don't bleed generally at all.<3

There's nothing wrong with T-rex arms!
Indeed there isn't. (How about gorilla arms though? Mine are about as long as my legs are...)

J. Bravo

Indeed there isn't. (How about gorilla arms though? Mine are about as long as my legs are...)

i want dem monkey arms. mine are completely average in relation to my height. long arms would help me a lot playing basketball and i'd probably have bigger hands lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Question for the 5/3/1 Wendler folks (or people that know it)

I've been doing the program and I'm starting my sixth cycle, I've been using the BLACK IRON BEAST page to calculate all the sets and things.. http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
But changing the cycle leads to NO change in weight on the barbell.
Normally it should change now to 55% or then 60% of my max effort, but everything just stays the same as in the last two cycles.
Any ideas why?

Am I not supposed to go up in the last cycles? Do I have to re-calculate my max effort or do I just increase my max numbers a bit and go from there?

(hope this is understandable)

It's not the "5/3/1 Wendler program" it's simply 5/3/1.

Seems like I'm saying this about random programs and people trying to do them very week or so now.

Get the book, you don't even know why you're doing what you're doing, or the essence of the program. You're cheating yourself.

Don't be afraid to read and learn.

As for BIB, it's a good rep max calculator, that's about it.

Levi

Banned
Looking into the 5x5 app to start strength training (also reading Starting Strength, both thanks to this thread). I am 100% not ready for overhead presses. Should I just do 2 of the three workouts when it comes up, do more of the two that I am doing, or substitute overhead presses with something else?

Thanks for your input.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking into the 5x5 app to start strength training (also reading Starting Strength, both thanks to this thread). I am 100% not ready for overhead presses. Should I just do 2 of the three workouts when it comes up, do more of the two that I am doing, or substitute overhead presses with something else?

Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by not being ready? Is the bar too heavy?

I imagine doing the exercise with dumbbells until you have enough strength for the bar should suffice. Also, if your gym has one of those shorter straight barbells, that should be good, too.

Sadetar

i want dem monkey arms. mine are completely average in relation to my height. long arms would help me a lot playing basketball and i'd probably have bigger hands lol.
Hey, I don't really need mine that much (I anyways pretend to be a short girl and ask people to give me all the stuff I need from the higher selves) so I could donate you couple inches.

iddqd

It's not the "5/3/1 Wendler program" it's simply 5/3/1.

Seems like I'm saying this about random programs and people trying to do them very week or so now.

Get the book, you don't even know why you're doing what you're doing, or the essence of the program. You're cheating yourself.

Don't be afraid to read and learn.

As for BIB, it's a good rep max calculator, that's about it.

Your point is valid and I feel dumber because I bought the book a while ago and never really touched it.
I felt the program was simple enough to just go by articles and forum posts. UNTIL NOW!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Your point is valid and I feel dumber because I bought the book a while ago and never really touched it.
I felt the program was simple enough to just go by articles and forum posts. UNTIL NOW!

If you're even remotely interested in a program I'd get the book. You don't have to do the program, but learning different takes on how to train will make you better as a whole. I've bought 5/3/1 and 5/3/1 for powerlifting and I've bought Steve Pulcinella's iron sport strength method and I'm getting ready to buy 10/20/life by Brian Carroll.

On top of that I'm constantly watching lifting videos and reading articles on Efts and sometimes (rarely) Tnation. Always keep learning.

moocow

Around when did you bigger guys start using something for wrist support on ohp? I did 150 3x5 today, and Its getting tough. I think I can ride it out till I hit bodyweight at ~ 165, but I might look into getting something after that.

Yo......read the book. Its a short read but it took me a couple of times to understand 5/3/1

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Around when did you bigger guys start using something for wrist support on ohp? I did 150 3x5 today, and Its getting tough. I think I can ride it out till I hit bodyweight at ~ 165, but I might look into getting something after that.

If you think you're ready get them. There is no set time.

LaneDS

At least compromise with yourself and skip the ice cream! I say this as someone who is very, very good at eating pints of ice cream. Not working out (or working out a reduced amount) on an off day seems alright, but don't go all the way and skip the workout plus go down the bad eating hole. You'll feel better for it ultimately, I think. Good luck!

Levi

Banned
What do you mean by not being ready? Is the bar too heavy?

I imagine doing the exercise with dumbbells until you have enough strength for the bar should suffice. Also, if your gym has one of those shorter straight barbells, that should be good, too.

New to weight lifting and overhead presses are intimidating. Good idea on using dumb bells instead. I'll do that until I get the confidence for the bar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Where do you get the 5/3/1 book? I know it's probably not good for beginners like myself, but I'm interested in reading about the program.

I found a page for it on Amazon, but it didn't have any buying options.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks!

Also, a question for you:

I've got th 13mm one and I use Adidas adipowers. Love both of them.

What makes the adipowers good in your mind? I've seen a lot of people post about them/wear them in various weight lifting communities, but I've never understood why. They look like they offer a lot of heel support and cause your heel to be at an angle slightly higher than the rest of your foot. Is that the case, and if so, why is that good for lifting?

Leeness

Yeah, my wife gets cramps so bad that basically she has to be between the bed and bathroom for a day or so, so I can't hold it against you. You can be strong and not have the pint of ice cream, though.

Yep. :( I'm going to be good I decided and not get ice cream ;_;

Awwww. Poor babe. Go for a long nordic walk or something light like that if you can. They usually made me feel better.

Thank gods I don't bleed generally at all.

I don't even want to do that. I want my heat pack. ._.

Also lucky!

At least compromise with yourself and skip the ice cream! I say this as someone who is very, very good at eating pints of ice cream. Not working out (or working out a reduced amount) on an off day seems alright, but don't go all the way and skip the workout plus go down the bad eating hole. You'll feel better for it ultimately, I think. Good luck!

I decided to compromise, yes. ;_; Goodbye delicious ice cream...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks!

Also, a question for you:

What makes the adipowers good in your mind? I've seen a lot of people post about them/wear them in various weight lifting communities, but I've never understood why. They look like they offer a lot of heel support and cause your heel to be at an angle slightly higher than the rest of your foot. Is that the case, and if so, why is that good for lifting?

Helps you achieve depth easier, it's stable as hell and grips the floor well.

I used to squat barefoot/in vibrams. Switched to these and love them.

Where do you get the 5/3/1 book? I know it's probably not good for beginners like myself, but I'm interested in reading about the program.

I found a page for it on Amazon, but it didn't have any buying options.
I'm using the Amazon app but click on see all buying options and choose the Jim Wendler one. It's free shipping for Prime members

keezy

I'm starting to save up and invest on a belt and weightlifting shoes. I love my Chucks but I want to have a dedicated weightlifting shoe. Anyone tried this belt?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=5853

And the Nike Romaleos?

http://images.footlocker.com/pi/76927461/zoom/nike-romaleos-ii-power-lifting-mens

There's only one weight lifting belt that's acceptable to buy.... Cardillo's.
http://www.cardillousa.com/
This is the one I have.
belt01_1.png

I've always wore wrestling shoes to train in. You can't go wrong with that thin flat sole. I'll never wear any other shoe especially when I deadlift/squat. If you go this route make sure the soles are rubber instead of suede. Some wrestling shoes have a suede bottom and if they get wet you're SOL. Also if they have a strap at the top try them on and see if you like that feature. My first pair was made by addidas and has that strap, it was pretty annoying.
10268670.jpg

CBTech

So, did my first day following the routine in the OP. Unless I decide to go to an actual gym, I'm using dumbbells instead of barbells for the bench presses, deadlifts, and squats. Kind of annoying that my apartment complex's gym doesn't have any barbells. Guess they want to avoid people getting accidentally hurt as much as possible. Whatever, it will work for now.

My main issue is my weak, puny body unable to do the pull-ups. I don't have a partner, so I can't do assisted pull-ups, nor do I really have any other assist methods in the gym. I guess I could try to use the seat thing I did my bench presses on. As a quick solution, I used one of the machines where you pull down on the handles from a sitting position. I think it roughly covered what I needed to do with the pull-ups. Could I use that machine until I get to the point of doing pull-ups or would you all recommend another method?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There's only one weight lifting belt that's acceptable to buy.... Cardillo's.
http://www.cardillousa.com/
This is the one I have.
belt01_1.png

I've always wore wrestling shoes to train in. You can't go wrong with that thin flat sole. I'll never wear any other shoe especially when I deadlift/squat.
10268670.jpg

Gonna disagree on the belt. EFTS has great quality belts. Especially their P2 belts.

As for shoes a raised heel helps immensely with the squat, with or without mobility issues.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Helps you achieve depth easier, it's stable as hell and grips the floor well.

I used to squat barefoot/in vibrams. Switched to these and love them.

Interesting. Does it actually elevate your heel a bit compared to the rest of your foot? That's the impression I'm getting from looking at the form factor.

I, too, used to squat in vibrams, but switched over to Chuck Taylor's in late May.

A little over a week ago I took a video of my squats and it looks like my heel is coming off the ground somewhat (http://youtu.be/g9uK9sIDQ9E?t=11s). I can't tell if it's actually my heel lifting up (it certainly doesn't feel like it) or just how the shoe looks. I never saw my heel come up when I squatted in vibrams, so I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I could switch back, but I think it actually feels a bit better to squat in chucks.

Any tips on keeping those heels stuck to the ground?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Interesting. Does it actually elevate your heel a bit compared to the rest of your foot? That's the impression I'm getting from looking at the form factor.

I, too, used to squat in vibrams, but switched over to Chuck Taylor's in late May.

A little over a week ago I took a video of my squats and it looks like my heel is coming off the ground somewhat (http://youtu.be/g9uK9sIDQ9E?t=11s). I can't tell if it's actually my heel lifting up (it certainly doesn't feel like it) or just how the shoe looks. I never saw my heel come up when I squatted in vibrams, so I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I could switch back, but I think it actually feels a bit better to squat in chucks.

Any tips on keeping those heels stuck to the ground?

Yeah, that's exactly what it does, in fact, I know a few dudes who squat in combat boots religiously for the same effect, even if I don't agree with it.

As for your heel issue I'm not you and I'm not your coach so I'm wary advising anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's exactly what it does, in fact, I know a few dudes who squat in combat boots religiously for the same effect, even if I don't agree with it.

As for your heel issue I'm not you and I'm not your coach so I'm wary advising anything.

Interesting! I never thought that raising the heel would be beneficial, but it makes sense. It's always easier to squat down and keep your feet flat on the ground on an incline, like a hill, for example. Understood about not wanting to give advise.

Since I took the video, I think I'll throw it at as a more general form check request:

http://youtu.be/g9uK9sIDQ9E?t=11s

Any feedback from anyone would be appreciated, as always. This was my fifth set of five rep low bar squats at 185 lbs. taken a little over a week ago.

Sadetar

I have been meaning to ask from you darlings that have you encountered same kind of problems as I have. My friends are well aware that I am working out and trying to eat clean and healthy. Some of them nowadays refer to my eating habits as "annoyingly healthy" and don't seem to understand that I do it to feel better. I have also two friends that I feel that they try to pressure me to drop it: They buy chocolate bars just for me when they aren't even eating any, they ask me to hang around always on the days when they know I have scheduled to go to gym and on both cases they always try to say that come on, you can skip it once / you can eat it this time - yet they offer sweets and treats all the time and ask me to skip my work outs constantly and seem to be annoyed when I don't.

To me it is really annoying to quite often refuse to chill with them just because of working out and I even feel quilty when I constantly say that I am not eating those even if you bought them specificly for me. I am honestly a bit confused why they have turned from being really supportive and nice to total douches. Any similar experiences?

I don't even want to do that. I want my heat pack. ._.
Ugh. I hate heat. I don't want to sweat without any proper reason. Also I just burn in the sun so summer isn't really my favourite.

Cudder

So, did my first day following the routine in the OP. Unless I decide to go to an actual gym, I'm using dumbbells instead of barbells for the bench presses, deadlifts, and squats. Kind of annoying that my apartment complex's gym doesn't have any barbells. Guess they want to avoid people getting accidentally hurt as much as possible. Whatever, it will work for now.

My main issue is my weak, puny body unable to do the pull-ups. I don't have a partner, so I can't do assisted pull-ups, nor do I really have any other assist methods in the gym. I guess I could try to use the seat thing I did my bench presses on. As a quick solution, I used one of the machines where you pull down on the handles from a sitting position. I think it roughly covered what I needed to do with the pull-ups. Could I use that machine until I get to the point of doing pull-ups or would you all recommend another method?

Using dumbbells defeats the whole purpose of doing SS. You're essentially not doing the routine in the OP. You can continue on if you like, but you're going to stall VERY soon. And don't apartment gyms dumbbells only go up to about 60lbs anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom