• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I love lifting on a 18 hour fast and getting everything in after. My body seems to respond well to this particular eating pattern.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Stronglifts 5x5 is starting to get really tough. Gains definitely aren't where I was hoping they would be, but still some progression from when I was doing a 3x5 routine just due to the two extra sets.

I'm up to 205 on squats, but it's getting mighty difficult. Those last few reps in the fifth set today were rough. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do 210 next session.

I failed the fifth rep on my last two sets for overhead presses at 100 lbs. last session, so I'll be doing it again in a couple of days, but not sure I'm going to be able to hit all of my reps. My form got pretty sloppy on those last two sets the previous session.

Bench press is doing OK. I'll finally be back at 135 lbs. my next session, and 130 wasn't bad at all this time, so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to break past that previous plateau.

I'm still at 110 for bent over barbell rows, but they are super easy, so I think I have a while before I hit a wall on this exercise.

Anyway, I'm coming up on a year since starting weight training in a couple of weeks, so that's a pretty cool milestone. I'm glad I was able to stick to it and make weight training a part of my life. I certainly don't foresee ever giving it up. While my progression hasn't been fast by any means, I'm relatively satisfied with gradually being able to up the weight. I wish my newb gains would have taken me a little bit further, but such is life! Maybe I'll try one those bulk and cut routines that a lot of you guys do.

While my progression hasn't been fast by any means, I'm relatively satisfied with gradually being able to up the weight. I wish my newb gains would have taken me a little bit further, but such is life!

Such is life indeed (still, damn the FitGaf progress thread :( )

Keep it up, we'll get there.

Pathos

Banned
I felt like a little beast at the gym today. The only thing I am thinking at the moment is that when I squat, my knees keep very interesting crunchy noises. Is this normal? My physiotherapist just checked my form and went it through till he was satisfied with it and I do think I got it so there shouldn't be any problems with it (he wont' let me have hips on parallel or under that though).
When people are squatting and having knee problems, the culprit is almost always shaky/wobbly knees. When you squat, do your knees come together/start wobbling? To fix this, remind yourself to self-consciously push your knees out when squatting down AND when you squat back up. Also, make sure your feet are not too narrow and they point outwards also. Wait, you don't go to parallel? That also fucks up the knees.

I'm quickly approaching 3 plates on DL and Squat. I'm 20 lbs away on DL and 40 from Squat, both with great form.

Lifting is glorious. I can't wait for the next year to post a photo of 1 year progress. I want that vascularity.

Cooter

My wife posted the photo I used to start the progress thread on Facebook. lol at some of the people who commented. Older married women have no shame.

I can't get past 6 reps on chinups, does adding more work sets help me progress or what is a good recommendation for bodyweight exercises?

I love lifting on a 18 hour fast and getting everything in after. My body seems to respond well to this particular eating pattern.

What I like is that I don't get the shits right when I arrive to the gym. The other day I had some oatmeal because damn I was hungry and I had to skip my accessory exercise at the end because I'm not sitting on those toilets. They are not dirty, but they are singled out in a way that you feel like a fish in an aquarium, and one has no door.

Sadetar

My wife posted the photo I used to start the progress thread on Facebook. lol at some of the people who commented. Older married women have no shame.
Hahahah, I have noticed the same thing with older married men. Especially the one at work always tries to sweet talk me to share a hotel room with him (he seems to be only half joking).

When people are squatting and having knee problems, the culprit is almost always shaky/wobbly knees. When you squat, do your knees come together/start wobbling? To fix this, remind yourself to self-consciously push your knees out when squatting down AND when you squat back up. Also, make sure your feet are not too narrow and they point outwards also. Wait, you don't go to parallel? That also fucks up the knees.
Hey and thanks for the input! My knees don't shake or wobble at all, they stay nicely balanced and don't go together - the only problem seems to be the somewhat crunchy noice. My physiotherapist went through my form and he seemed to be happy with it but said I can't go to parallel because of my back. He informed me that I can think of changing the depth perhaps later in the autumn if I have managed to get rid of the back pain, nerve pain reflecting to leg and numbness in the leg.

I am still thinking of continuing to do the squats since it doesn't hurt at all - it just sounds bad. Or do you think I should just skip it totally?

:(

Today was the first day that I wasn't able to hit the number of reps I needed to keep progression going for deadlift day. I keep track of my progress on the 5/3/1 spreadsheet by Poteto. I'm on the 3rd week of the 3rd cycle.

I needed 7 reps of 135kg as I hit 7 of 130kg last week (I actually hit 130kg 8 times last month but this calorie deficit is killing me).

I managed 4. Fucking gutted. I actually nearly failed on the very 1st rep, but I stepped back, refocused and tried again.

However I did do 15 minutes of HIIT sprints before going to the gym so maybe a little fatigue is playing a role here. Still, not happy.

despire

Today was the first day that I wasn't able to hit the number of reps I needed to keep progression going for deadlift day. I keep track of my progress on the 5/3/1 spreadsheet by Poteto. I'm on the 3rd week of the 3rd cycle.

I needed 7 reps of 135kg as I hit 7 of 130kg last week (I actually hit 130kg 8 times last month but this calorie deficit is killing me).

I managed 4. Fucking gutted. I actually nearly failed on the very 1st rep, but I stepped back, refocused and tried again.

However I did do 15 minutes of HIIT sprints before going to the gym so maybe a little fatigue is playing a role here. Still, not happy.

You needed 7 reps? What? Doesn't sound like 5/3/1 to me. The required reps on the 3rd week are 5, 3 and 1 on each respective set like the name implies.

Also why did you do HIIT before lifting weights? Pretty stupid and probably the reason why you failed.

Yeah, I think you've misread the 5/3/1 program if you're needing 7 reps to progress as per the program guidelines. The most reps you ever need is 5 (although you can of course go for more/should try to go for more reps on your last set). I basically completely agree with despire's post, HIIT before lifting is a great way to be wiped out before you ever pick up a weight. Do the HIIT after lifting and you'll be able to lift more.

You needed 7 reps? What? Doesn't sound like 5/3/1 to me. The required reps on the 3rd week are 5, 3 and 1 on each respective set like the name implies.

Also why did you do HIIT before lifting weights? Pretty stupid and probably the reason why you failed.

It's 1 plus any more you can get in according to the book. If I lifted 120 8 times on the first week, then 130 7 times on the 2nd, then to keep it up, I needed at least 6 reps of 135 on the 3rd week. But seeing that 6 reps would give me a progression of 0.49%, I wanted 7 to give me 3.85%. Have I been doing it wrong?

I only started doing sprints for 15 minutes twice last week and was fine. I wouldn't normally do both on the same day, but I'm into the last 2 weeks of a weight loss plan and wanted to give it a try.

despire

It's 1 plus any more you can get in according to the book. If I lifted 120 8 times on the first week, then 130 7 times on the 2nd, then to keep it up, I needed at least 6 reps of 135 on the 3rd week. But seeing that 6 reps would give me a progression of 0.49%, I wanted 7 to give me 3.85%. Have I been doing it wrong?

I only started doing sprints for 15 minutes twice last week and was fine. I wouldn't normally do both on the same day, but I'm into the last 2 weeks of a weight loss plan and wanted to give it a try.

This doesn't make any sense. That's not 5/3/1. I don't even know what that is.

You haven't read the book, have you? Buy it and read it because it explains important things like how to actually do the program. If you're going to commit in to a program you should at least understand how to do it.

CrankyJay

Banned
FitGAF, I hang my head in shame...let myself go over the last year or so...I want to re-enlist in your ranks and lose this weight, again...

FitGAF, I hang my head in shame...let myself go over the last year or so...I want to re-enlist in your ranks and lose this weight, again...

Get back on the saddle, brah! No reason you can't do it and maintain it. It's not shameful to admit you've fallen off. Many, many people do it, but only the ones that really care get back into it again.

CrankyJay

Banned
Get back on the saddle, brah! No reason you can't do it and maintain it.

Used an injury (that apparently I still have - back pain and/or piriformis) as an excuse to stop...figured I might as well just work through it. Pretty embarrassing that I was in great shape so my wife bought me all of these large/tall-slim t-shirts that I can't even fit into anymore. So that's my immediate goal...be able to fit back into clothes I haven't even opened yet. =(

This doesn't make any sense. That's not 5/3/1. I don't even know what that is.

You haven't read the book, have you? Buy it and read it because it explains important things like how to actually do the program. If you're going to commit in to a program you should at least understand how to do it.

Taken straight from the book :

"The Last Set

Whichever option you choose, you’ll notice that the last set of the day reads, “or more reps.” This is where the fun begins. The last set of the day is the all-out set. You’ll be going for as many reps as possible."

And a quick google search and I find it here :
http://www.lift.net/workout-routines/wendler-5-3-1/

and here :
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/52-most-common-531-questions/

and here:
http://theswole.com/concept/531-jim-wendlers-theory-of-strength/

and so on.

What's your problem?

despire

Taken straight from the book :

"The Last Set

Whichever option you choose, you’ll notice that the last set of the day reads, “or more reps.” This is where the fun begins. The last set of the day is the all-out set. You’ll be going for as many reps as possible."

And a quick google search and I find it here :
http://www.lift.net/workout-routines/wendler-5-3-1/

and here :
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/52-most-common-531-questions/

and here:
http://theswole.com/concept/531-jim-wendlers-theory-of-strength/

and so on.

What's your problem?

The last set of the 3rd week says to do "1 or more reps". This means that one rep is enough.

You write that you need 6 reps because the book says so which it doesn't. Nowhere in the entire program do you need to get 6 reps on anything (except maybe assistance lifts).

Booties

Banned
So I pulled my right hamstring yesterday while running the bases at my baseball game yesterday. I've been doing Strong Lifts which means I'm kinda fucked since squats are part of every workout. I think the only lift I could come close to doing right now is bench, but even that would hurt as I clench my legs. Any recommendations for things to do in the mean time? I know I should probably take it easy and do nothing, but between my vacation the other week and 4th of July weekend I have already missed way too much time.

Lirlond

So I pulled my right hamstring yesterday while running the bases at my baseball game yesterday. I've been doing Strong Lifts which means I'm kinda fucked since squats are part of every workout. I think the only lift I could come close to doing right now is bench, but even that would hurt as I clench my legs. Any recommendations for things to do in the mean time? I know I should probably take it easy and do nothing, but between my vacation the other week and 4th of July weekend I have already missed way too much time.

Dumbell curls and rows? Not ideal but better than nothing.

The last set of the 3rd week says to do "1 or more reps". This means that one rep is enough.

You write that you need 6 reps because the book says so which it doesn't. Nowhere in the entire program do you need to get 6 reps on anything (except maybe assistance lifts).

No, I didn't say that I needed 6 reps "because the book said so". Look at what I typed.

I said I needed 7 in order to keep progressing based on the last set of week 1 and 2, using the Poteto 5/3/1 spreadsheet. I was quite clear in what I was saying. And I'm totally aware that I only needed the 1 rep as per the guide.

No need to jump down my throat accusing me of not reading a book that I've read several times, following a program I've been doing pretty well at since last year.

despire

No, I didn't say that I needed 6 reps "because the book said so". Look at what I typed.

I said I needed 7 in order to keep progressing based on the last set of week 1 and 2, using the Poteto 5/3/1 spreadsheet. I was quite clear in what I was saying. And I'm totally aware that I only needed the 1 rep as per the guide.

No need to jump down my throat accusing me of not reading a book that I've read several times, following a program I've been doing pretty well at since last year.

Ok then, I misunderstood you but your posts weren't that clear to me. Didn't mean to jump on your throat either.

I'd just recommend going by the program and being happy hitting those prescribed reps and not making any own "progressions" based on earlier weeks. You can't expect to keep hitting those high reps forever, eventually you're going down to the minimum reps.

Ok then, I misunderstood you but your posts weren't that clear to me. Didn't mean to jump on your throat either.

I'd just recommend going by the program and being happy hitting those prescribed reps and not making any own "progressions" based on earlier weeks. You can't expect to keep hitting those high reps forever, eventually you're going down to the minimum reps.

OK, no worries.

I just didn't really expect to have such a drop in my progress but maybe you're right about doing some HIIT before hand. I'm currently concentrating more on losing just a bit more weight for the next 2 more weeks, but at the same time I want to keep my strength numbers at least the same or better (which I was until today), but it's proving pretty difficult on a calorie deficit.

I'm starting a bulk for the first time in a few weeks. Do people tend to notice more energy and better results after being in calorie deficit for so long?

Booties

Banned

Yeah I should be able to do dumbell stuff no problem. I'll try some body weight stuff (dips, pushups, pull ups, etc) as well to keep my shape. Just sucks that I can't use the bars because I am 8 weeks in and I'm on the edge of really good numbers.

Booties

Banned

Yeah I should be able to do dumbell stuff no problem. I'll try some body weight stuff (dips, pushups, pull ups, etc) as well to keep my shape. Just sucks that I can't use the bars because I am 8 weeks in and I'm on the edge of really good numbers.

Cooter

Used an injury (that apparently I still have - back pain and/or piriformis) as an excuse to stop...figured I might as well just work through it. Pretty embarrassing that I was in great shape so my wife bought me all of these large/tall-slim t-shirts that I can't even fit into anymore. So that's my immediate goal...be able to fit back into clothes I haven't even opened yet. =(
The same thing happened to me in my late twenties. I re-tore my ACL after spending lots of money and time rehabbing. Got depressed because I couldn't play basketball and threw my hands in the air and said fuck it. Stopped going to the gym and lived off fast food. I was slowly gaining fat and it was starting to show. I saw my uncle and he straight up said I'm getting fat. I knew I was but to hear someone I respect tell me really pissed me off. I decided when I get home I was going to change that. That was 5 years ago and the rest is history.

Hey! At least you have a kick ass before photo to put next to the finished product in a year or so. :) Welcome back. Now get to work!

Pakoe

Heavy DLs. Lots of pull ups with weight and without. Also try getting a couple handheld coil loaded squeezers if you're serious. I did hundreds upon hundreds a day when I was a teenager. I can't help but think they contributed to my out of proportion forearms.

Heavy DL's and pull ups are always on my list, but i will look at the grippers thingy thanks!

keezy

I have a pair of these.
https://www.grip4orce.com/

I have the stiffer pair. I love them on arm days. The thing with using these is that you won't be able to do as much weight as usual. You're grip/forearms tire out quicker than you biceps. Until you get used to it :p

TylerD

Waiting for the only squat rack in this goddamn gym....fml

There are 3 and a smith machine at mine and I have yet to see any of the 3 racks being used when I need to use them. That smith machine sure is popular though!
--

After 3 weeks of SS and 9 workouts, my 5rms are:

Squat = 105lbs (+30lbs)
Deadlift = 170lbs (+20lbs)
Bench = 140lbs (+25lbs)
Overhead Press = 80lbs (+10lbs)
Power Clean = 95lbs (+10lbs)

I have dropped 10 lbs of cheater help on my pull-ups doing (3x8) and added 10 lbs to my bentover barbell rows as well.

Slow and steady and feeling stronger. Oh, and having motivation to get enough sleep is helping me a ton as well.

despire

Contributed to the progress thread. It's a good thing that it's not a "summer cut" thread because I wouldn't have been able to post if it was
3AQmK.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That progress thread really shows what happens when you get a bunch of like minded people together and share information. We've all helped each other get where we are in one way or another. And I've been to other fitness forums and this one is still the best I've found so far. I like that there's such a variety of goals here and there's a few people who really read and learn and put that information to the test so the advice given by some of the bigger regulars here isn't typically horse shit.

That progress thread also shows how lonely it is being a powerlifter, lol. I seem to be the only one focused on pure strength. It exactly mirrors my gym.

Hiz_95

I'm starting a bulk for the first time in a few weeks. Do people tend to notice more energy and better results after being in calorie deficit for so long?

Better results definitely. More energy will depend on a bunch of factors, I feel bloated a lot initially transitioning from a cut to a bulk.

Cooter

That progress thread really shows what happens when you get a bunch of like minded people together and share information. We've all helped each other get where we are in one way or another. And I've been to other fitness forums and this one is still the best I've found so far. I like that there's such a variety of goals here and there's a few people who really read and learn and put that information to the test so the advice given by some of the bigger regulars here isn't typically horse shit.

That progress thread also shows how lonely it is being a powerlifter, lol. I seem to be the only one focused on pure strength. It exactly mirrors my gym.

Well said.

lol at your second paragraph. It's true. I think it mirrors most gyms. I've been to at least a dozen gyms and powerlifters are few and far between. Shit, at my gym I may be one of 3 that seriously focuses on lifting heavy and pushing my limits. And look at me, I'm far from even being considered a powerlifter's distant 3rd cousin.

Cudder

I started 5x5 today.

Using the app on my phone alongside my workouts, it really works wonderfully. Again, it feels weird to deload so much weight, but I hope in a few months I'll surpass where I was doing my own 3x5 program.

Example: I'm starting my squats at 135lbs, even though a few weeks ago I did 5 reps at 350. Need to start low and get my body used to squatting 3x a week. Plus since I'm squatting 3x a week the weight will go up 3x as fast as when I did my own thing.

And the app tells you when it's appropriate to drop from doing 5x5 to 3x5 and then to 3x3 to keep the gains coming.

Really looking forward to how this all turns out.

It's also the very first time I'll be following a routine other than something I cooked up.

Well said.

lol at your second paragraph. It's true. I think it mirrors most gyms. I've been to at least a dozen gyms and powerlifters are few and far between. Shit, at my gym I may be one of 3 that seriously focuses on lifting heavy and pushing my limits. And look at me, I'm far from even being considered a powerlifter's distant 3rd cousin.

At my 24hr Fitness the percentage is def 75-80% bodybuilders who may/may not be on gear...

Cooter

I generally assume anyone bigger than me is on gear and anyone smaller than me just does cardio/do they even lift?/is lifting with terrible programming.
Haha. I know they're out there but when I meet or see a guy my size putting up bigger numbers than me I'm gonna be a little pissed. My defense mechanism will probably go straight to they're on gear!

Better results definitely. More energy will depend on a bunch of factors, I feel bloated a lot initially transitioning from a cut to a bulk.

Well that's good.

I'll probably bring the calories in slowly, like +200 each week. Maybe I'll start getting some pre workout shakes as well to help with energy levels.

Third day of this leangains 16/8 protocol and the first day I've worked out...

...it was surprisingly easy. I was expecting to feel hungry / tired but I didn't feel slightly hungry all day and the workout wasn't a problem at all. I suspect I might feel differently on leg day, but I can only cross that bridge when I come to eat.

Now to cram a bunch of food down my gullet.

Oh, and those of you that "do" green tea, how much am I supposed to be taking? Do you just make it like normal tea and have a few cups during the day?

CrankyJay

Banned
The same thing happened to me in my late twenties. I re-tore my ACL after spending lots of money and time rehabbing. Got depressed because I couldn't play basketball and threw my hands in the air and said fuck it. Stopped going to the gym and lived off fast food. I was slowly gaining fat and it was starting to show. I saw my uncle and he straight up said I'm getting fat. I knew I was but to hear someone I respect tell me really pissed me off. I decided when I get home I was going to change that. That was 5 years ago and the rest is history.

Hey! At least you have a kick ass before photo to put next to the finished product in a year or so. :) Welcome back. Now get to work!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom