• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you set up for bench, you both pinch your shoulder blades together and tuck your legs pretty far back. When no weight is on the bar, this gives the effect of pushing you horizontally up the bench. However, the weight on the bar acts as a counterbalance, and the result is it pushes your back up, creating the arch that you see 99.9% of power lifters have. When you have your legs just 90 degrees, you aren't getting any extra power for your lift from your lower body. However, when you tuck them back and push off with your heels, you're getting the added bonus of using your legs and some glutes to add explosiveness to the lift.

This picture gives a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about, although personally I keep my foot flat as opposed to up on my toes and push through my heels.

Bench-press-form-1.jpg

Yea and heels up is illegal in some powerlifting meets (like IPF)

When you set up for bench, you both pinch your shoulder blades together and tuck your legs pretty far back. When no weight is on the bar, this gives the effect of pushing you horizontally up the bench. However, the weight on the bar acts as a counterbalance, and the result is it pushes your back up, creating the arch that you see 99.9% of power lifters have. When you have your legs just 90 degrees, you aren't getting any extra power for your lift from your lower body. However, when you tuck them back and push off with your heels, you're getting the added bonus of using your legs and some glutes to add explosiveness to the lift.

This picture gives a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about, although personally I keep my foot flat as opposed to up on my toes and push through my heels.

Bench-press-form-1.jpg
Ohhhh wow I had no idea about this at all. I've been benching with my legs just at 90 degrees this whole time. o_o

Matugi

Yea and heels up is illegal in some powerlifting meets (like IPL)

Yeah, I'm not aware of all the rules because I'm not competing (yet) but I keep my heels down anyway because I don't have a problem creating the arch with heels up. But some people with longer legs will need to go heels up depending on how far back they tuck their legs.

OG Kush

Currently going Greyskull LP. On the 3rd set it always says go for max reps you can (Ideally 6-10 reps) but what if that weight I can only do the normal 5 reps?

Zero2kz

Anyone have experience giving blood and what the effects are on your weight lifting regimen?

I gave blood today, and I was originally planning on lifting after work. I don't feel any different from the donation, but it would obviously be best for me to just take the day off from heavy lifting just in case.

For those who have gone through this, is there any noticeable difference in performance at all during the weeks after giving blood?

Anyone have experience giving blood and what the effects are on your weight lifting regimen?

I gave blood today, and I was originally planning on lifting after work today. I have no noticeable effects from the donations, but it would obviously be best for me to just take the day off from heavy lifting just in case.

For those who have gone through this, is there any short-term noticeable difference in performance at all?

I wish I could give blood ;_;.

I imagine, though, if they take quite a bit, you might wanna take the day off? Mind you, if you don't feel dizzy or faint then you might be okay.

Zero2kz

I wish I could give blood ;_;.

I imagine, though, if they take quite a bit, you might wanna take the day off? Mind you, if you don't feel dizzy or faint then you might be okay.

Oh I plan to take the day off just in case. They took a pint of blood. But I believe it takes 5+ weeks for all of your red blood cells to be reproduced. Was unsure if this causes any short term noticeable effect on stamina/strength.

I gave blood today, and I was originally planning on lifting after work. I don't feel any different from the donation, but it would obviously be best for me to just take the day off from heavy lifting just in case.

For those who have gone through this, is there any noticeable difference in performance at all during the weeks after giving blood?

I donate blood regularly either with standard donations (just a single pint of whole blood) or a "double red" donation (they take out twice as many red blood cells as a standard donation, but pump all the other stuff back into you along with some saline-type solution). I always take that day off from lifting (although I have lifted before donating blood and have had no issues) and usually wait 24 hours to lift again. I've never noticed any issues besides the fear that the vein they stuck the needle in will burst when doing a heavy deadlift or whatever... but that seems to just be in my head as it hasn't ever happened, although I still avoid heaving deadlifts on the day after donating.

Anyway, you should be fine. For sure you won't see any issues weeks later and at worst you'll be a bit lethargic in the few days after the donation. Have you ever donated blood before at all? I will say, double red donations are the fucking shit, you literally walk out more hydrated than when you walk in due to the extra saline they pump into you... and then you still get to fucking smash their snack section afterwards as a free bonus.

grumble

Oh I plan to take the day off just in case. They took a pint of blood. But I believe it takes 5+ weeks for all of your red blood cells to be reproduced. Was unsure if this causes any short term noticeable effect on stamina/strength.

Some impact on maximal effort, not a huge deal. Take the day off, eat well and you'll be fine. Thank you for donating blood.

Pete Rock

Currently going Greyskull LP. On the 3rd set it always says go for max reps you can (Ideally 6-10 reps) but what if that weight I can only do the normal 5 reps?
On GSLP the idea is that you reset for that exercise when you fail five reps on the AMRAP (third) set. So next time when you add weight and only get 4 reps, you rest from that point and "start over". But it's not really black and white like that, because you should be hitting more reps at the lower weight ranges which you have previously surpassed. This is why it is important to write these things down. He describes the "ideal" AMRAP ranges for the various exercises, ie squats high teens deadlifts low teens.

There will be a very sharp falloff point. For example, I can squat 25 reps at 225. Last time I failed and reset at 335. I was in the high teens up until about 295, then only 12 reps at 315, etc until I could only do 4. That's just the way it is.

OG Kush

On GSLP the idea is that you reset for that exercise when you fail five reps on the AMRAP (third) set. So next time when you add weight and only get 4 reps, you rest from that point and start over. He describes the "ideal" AMRAP ranges for the various exercises, ie squats high teens deadlifts low teens.

There will be a very sharp falloff point. For example, I can squat 25 reps at 225. Last time I failed and reset at 335. I was in the high teens up until about 295, then only 12 reps at 315, etc until I could only do 4. That's just the way it is.

But as in i'm not failing to get 5 reps, but I'm not getting more than 5 reps if that makes sense? Am I doing the routine fine if I can't get more than 5 reps on a certain exercise? Maybe I need to re-read the book

Pete Rock

But as in i'm not failing to get 5 reps, but I'm not getting more than 5 reps if that makes sense? Am I doing the routine fine if I can't get more than 5 reps on a certain exercise? Maybe I need to re-read the book
Sorry for the egregious edits on my post, I kept adding details and I realize that was not ideal.

It does sound like you are either not pushing yourself hard enough, which I doubt because you are here talking about it - or more realistically, you started too close to your last de-load/reset point from another program.

My calculated 1RM on squats was 360 lbs before I started GSLP and I think my first squat sets were at 205 or so, if that gives you any frame of reference. I imagine your margins were clipped a little close on either end which is why you are not dumping out 10+ reps on the third round.

Ate like shit all weekend. Still bloated

Hamptons - 3
Host Samurai - 0

Dat strength doe. Crazy how much I shocked my body by filling it with carbs for 2 days. Been on that 1600-1800 cals + HIIT everyday.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't posted a form check in a while. Thoughts on my deadlift?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6KDucem7Q&feature=youtu.be

Should I be concerned about feeling a stretch in my upper abdomen when deadlifting at near max weights? It's not a pain, just a stretch, and it only happens when I'm going very heavy. Otherwise, I don't feel anything else (except my fucking shins which I rescrape every week lol).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. I managed to knock out my 5x5 squat session at 210 lbs. today despite struggling at 205 a couple of days ago. I think focusing even more on sitting back and breaking at the hips may have helped a bit. It honestly seemed easier than 205 lbs. did a couple of days ago, but the last two sets were still pretty rough, so I'm not confident I'll be able to hit two plates before I have to do a deload, unfortunately. Oh, well! I'll see how 215 lbs. goes on Friday.

In the meantime, my OHP sucked today. I failed two of the total 25 reps at 100 lbs. last session, and the stronglifts 5x5 program has me doing the same weight again. Problem was I couldn't even get the weight up at all today without an initial leg boost, so I can't even count that rep. The weight seemed unusually heavy, so I decided to drop it by 25% down to 75 lbs. and work my way back up.

Did deadlifts at 210 lbs. today, too, and oh boy were they rough. The gym I go to on week days has these damn hex plates, which causes me to have to reset every rep. Not sure if I'll be able to do 220 lbs. next time deadlifts are on the docket.

Bench-press-form-1.jpg

Wow I didnt know I have to kick my feet and heels back for the arch.

Will be doing this from now on.

Matugi

I can't tell but do you keep your heels on the ground or not? It doesn't look like it, or at the very least it looks like they're raised a little. Just curious.

It's also funny, there was one of the Moronic Monday threads on Reddit a few weeks ago and I was downvoted to hell for advocating arching your back and tucking your legs on bench press. Ever since /r/fitness became a default sub it's become filled with people who don't understand biomechanics, at all.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can't tell but do you keep your heels on the ground or not? It doesn't look like it, or at the very least it looks like they're raised a little. Just curious.

It's also funny, there was one of the Moronic Monday threads on Reddit a few weeks ago and I was downvoted to hell for advocating arching your back and tucking your legs on bench press. Ever since /r/fitness became a default sub it's become filled with people who don't understand biomechanics, at all.

I force my heels to the ground and yes, they contact.

Chocobro

I noticed that you don't fully bring the bar down on your bench.

Was it because of the amount of weight there, or is it a matter of good form?

My bench lifts have always lacked behind my squat and DL so I'd like to know more of how to get those numbers up.

Assuming I understand what you're saying, I'm going to say it's just a bad camera angle. If Brolic is benching like he is in his older video, then he is benching with full ROM.

My shoulder pain (impingement?) has gone down from about an 8/10 to about a 5/10. I don't feel it as much when I'm not working out, but I experienced some pain in a dead hang position on a pull-up bar and other full extension movements.

A quick google search led me to this link (http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/5-ways-to-make-bench-pressing-more-shoulder-friendly/)...can anyone attest if this is sound advice to manage my pain? I haven't done any pressing for about a week and a half now.

Are there any other exercises you guys recommend while I recover? I know when I'm ready to bench, I'll need to re-evaluate my form, that's a given and probably what landed me in this mess in the first place.

Imm0rt4l

My bench lifts have always lacked behind my squat and DL so I'd like to know more of how to get those numbers up.
I'm sure its touching his chest. Ideally you want to have a decent arch in your back which should reduce ROM a bit depending on the arch. Also to keep your shoulders/rotator cuffs healthy.

Matugi

I'm sure its touching his chest. Ideally you want to have a decent arch in your back which should reduce ROM a bit depending on the arch. Also to keep your shoulders/rotator cuffs healthy.

Yeah, these are basically the primary reasons why you want that arch.

shit. i should have been cognizant sooner of the arch in my back. i feel like i just benched too much/long, that by the time i started improving my form my should was already destined to get borked.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm taking a week off from heavy DLs. Last week finished at 445x3x5. This week I'm just doing 365x3x5. Tell me I'm not cheating myself guys. The ultimate goal is to rest and come back stronger next week but I just feel like a lazy POS right now. Blah....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

The bar most definitely touches my chest. Also look at my arms.

Assuming I understand what you're saying, I'm going to say it's just a bad camera angle. If Brolic is benching like he is in his older video, then he is benching with full ROM.

Yep, that's exactly the same.

Imm0rt4l

I'm taking a week off from heavy DLs. Last week finished at 445x3x5. This week I'm just doing 365x3x5. Tell me I'm not cheating myself guys. The ultimate goal is to rest and come back stronger next week but I just feel like a lazy POS right now. Blah....
Rest is good man. Fwiw I hit pr's on deadlift after as many as 2 weeks off, but thats my anecdote.

I havent pr'd in a long fucking time though with my extended stay in snap city and all. Tfw 3 plates now feels like 4. All my gains :'(

werks

Banned
Does anybody use truenutrition's custom protein shake? Here's my current PWO shake:

Dextrose (40g), Whey Protein Isolate Microfiltrated [Milk] (30g), PeptoPro – Hydrolyzed Caseinate [Milk] (25g), Micellar Casein [Milk] (15g), Creatine Monohydrate (5g), L-Leucine Powder – Instantized (5g), Caffeine Anhydrous Powder (200mg)

Cudder

Ordered a 5lb Mocha Cappucino ON Whey tub and a 5lb Cookies n Creme MTS Whey yesterday, should be here tomorrow based on shipping estimates. supplementsource.ca seems pretty legit.

Heysoos

So guys, some months back I bought a Bowflex PR1000. It was dumb of me, but I was using the excuse that it'd be cheaper than paying for a gym. Which at the time it made sense with the ridiculous pricing of Gold's. Regardless, mistake is done. I may as well find some use for it until I can find a buyer on Craigslist! What's some decent accessory work I can do with it? I'm still doing SL5x5, so anything I can do on that to supplement my core lifts, or something that just works really well with a machine like that. Thanks. :)

Revenant

so potentially dumb question. I've been using my fitness pal to track all my food to go along with lifting/exercise. I put in all my stuff (6'5" 204 lbs, sedentary yada yada) and set the macros to 40 protein 40 fat 20 carb which gives me

79g fat
23g sat fat
127g Carb
204g Protein
the goal here is to lose body fat percentage, I was and am fairly active with cardio sports before starting lifting about a month ago and I have a couple of questions

- If i'm hitting around 23 g of sat fat is that ok, or is that too high? I'm usually at or close to the limit for fat and sat fat

- as for the carbs, I normally clock in below 127. Admittedly I seem to hear all about low carb for losing body fat it seems but I don't feel like this leaves me much for fruits and veggies unless i'm mistaking the quantity of carb for the quality of carb (love dem green beans). So is the lower carb total important or if its fruits and vegetables is it a bit of pass as far as going closer to that 127g total

-as of right now I'm usually eating 2-3 eggs a day, 2-4 servings of liquid eggwhites, a serving 1/2 serving of various cheeses. 1-3 serving of cottage cheese and then chicken/turkey/ your various deli meats (mostly lean) as well as a cup of milk mixed with protein powder Then the rest is fruits/vegetables and of course the occasional dietary slipup.

So am I on the right track here or being an idiot? Also is there a good site or guide for recipes or just even various foods that can help me add a bit of variety that someone could possibly recommend?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Servbot24

Banned
Here's my progress from mid january to today:

jB65zxsdgVXwm.jpg

Not all that great for exercising 6 times a week and eating pretty healthy. Probably should get on a weightlifting plan instead of just going on random weights til i'm tired.

Here's my progress from mid january to today:

jB65zxsdgVXwm.jpg

Not all that great for exercising 6 times a week and eating pretty healthy. Probably should get on a weightlifting plan instead of just going on random weights til i'm tired.

Lookin' good man. What routine are you doing now in regards to weight training?

Yeah Darth is finally doing some quad work, and Cooter is starting arms :/

Your traps are huge.

I heard Brolic is going to start doing barbell work soon.

Ughhh I'm at work right now and I'm planning on lifting after work at 8am but I have a meeting at 4pm and shift work at 7pm for 12 hrs. I'm wondering if I should take preworkout but I want to at least sleep for 4hrs and I'm worried that I'll be so hyped when I go home.

imalreadydead.jpeg

Servbot24

Banned
Lookin' good man. What routine are you doing now in regards to weight training?

I basically just do various forms of bench press, curls, deadlifts, pull down, and random other stuff the gym has. Once I've gone through them all I do it a second time. If I have any energy left over I'll go again. Which I'm guessing is wrong, and I should be doing all my sets for one lift at a time.

I basically just do various forms of bench press, curls, deadlifts, pull down, and random other stuff the gym has. Once I've gone through them all I do it a second time. If I have any energy left over I'll go again. Which I'm guessing is wrong, and I should be doing all my sets for one lift at a time.

Generally, yeah, you want to finish one lift before moving on to the next, although swapping back and forth between sets for just two lifts isn't unheard of (it is known as a "super set"). Also, I think 3 sets tends to be the minimum for any program I've ever seen. But, to be honest, if you're happy with where you are at and how you're progressing then I see no reason to change things. I'd be happy with your results if I had your aesthetics.

Officially yes, you should be doing a proper weightlifting plan.

Off the record, I don't think it'll matter what the hell you do ;)

AEREC

So I'm trying to drop 15-20 pounds over the next few weeks and someone recommended a tilapia diet that basically consists of 3 weeks of the follwing routine everyday:

5am: 5oz tilapia, 3/4 cup sweet potato and 3 asparagus spears
8am: 5oz tilapia, 3/4 cup sweet potato and 3 asparagus spears
11am: 5oz tilapia, sweet potato and asparagus spears
1pm: 30 min high intensity cardio
3pm: 5oz tilapia, 3 asparagus spears
6pm: 5oz tilapia, 3 asparagus spears
8pm: apple

My only concern is tilapia is a really unhealthy fish and the only way to get it cheap is to buy it farmed...is there another meat I could substitute it with that's high in protein, low in fat? Chicken?

RoeBear

So I'm trying to drop 15-20 pounds over the next few weeks and someone recommended a tilapia diet that basically consists of 3 weeks of the follwing routine everyday:

My only concern is tilapia is a really unhealthy fish and the only way to get it cheap is to buy it farmed...is there another meat I could substitute it with that's high in protein, low in fat? Chicken?

This looks pretty much like the diet of a friend that is getting ready for a show. If you want a healthier fish go for salmon. but you're going to lose weight pretty fast with this.

The asparagus is going to act like a diuretic so you won't keep much water on you.

Chicken, lean cut beef, pork, tuna, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom