• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

So I only managed a double at 375 on deadlifts today, and that's my last lift for three weeks or so, but that's beside the point:

I am absolutely fed up with my college gym. I get people telling me to lift more quietly. I am forced to use mats while deadlifting, which are an inch thick and don't allow me to pull from the floor, because they are afraid these weights from the mid 1990s will crack. I am told that I'm not allowed to drop my deadlift from the top of the lift, even when there's 350+ on the bar, and instead I have to lower the bar all the way to the ground, putting me at risk for injury, despite multiple PL federations being fine with dropping from the top. And now, today, IN BETWEEN REPS OF MY 375 set, I am told that I am not allowed to deadlift in socks only. I have been deadlifting this way for the better part of a year, in front of staff and other gyms, and never had a problem with it. It is proven that being closer to the floor is biomechanically better for your back, where I have a history of injuries. But now it's suddenly not okay? I am more experienced than just about anybody that walks through that door, and I am pound-for-pound one of the strongest people in the gym; I pose no injury risk to myself nor others by deadlifting barefoot. There is no chance I will slip because I lift in high-grip socks. There is no way I drop the weight on my foot because IT'S A FUCKING BARBELL. There's no way I slip and swing the weight at anyone because IT'S 350+ POUNDS AND IT'LL FALL STRAIGHT DOWN.

But what's worst of all is that they have NO policy against wearing 5 Fingers. So while I cannot deadlift barefoot, people are allowed to swing fucking dumbbells around with minimal protection to their feet. What's more dangerous?

I pay a shitton in student fees to go to this gym. I can't afford to go to another gym, and I'll be wasting $50+ a month if I do, so I don't know what to do. I asked the staff about deadlift socks and they maintained their dogma of "athletic shoes only". I don't know what to do at this point. I follow every one of their stupid rules from lifting quietly to signing up to use cardio machines (lol cardio), I don't bother anyone in the gym and keep to myself -- the least I should be allowed to do is deadlift in what is the safest fashion for me.

Any advice?

If it's a 24 hour gym, start going at nights. Usually no one will care.

Matugi

If it's a 24 hour gym, start going at nights. Usually no one will care.

I wish. It's my university gym.

My options are basically Chuck Taylor's, my 0.6" Adidas Powerlift 2.0s, or my 0.75" Wei-Rui Warriors. I hear that oly shoes help engage the quads more, but I don't want to create any additional deficit (although my weakest part for deadlift is off the floor and not the lockout)

Chocobro

Hi FitGAF, i have a problem. I'm extremely inflexible and always have been. I'm very tall and a bit overweight, and it feels like I've been sitting in a chair for the last 30 years (I didn't do much or any exercise when I was younger)

I can't bend forward 90 degrees with a straight back. When lying on my back I can't put my leg straight up without it hurting (I had a psychical therapist who was flabbergasted by this). I can't bend my foot upwards towards my shin more than like 10-20 degrees. When I stretch by "squatting", lying on my back with my feet flat on the wall, I can't touch my ass to the wall. I can't sit down in a squat without standing on tiptoes. Trying yoga was a disaster.

Obviously this means I have problems with my lifts. I can't squat even down to 90 degrees. I can't deadlift at all because I can't hold on to the bar on the floor with my back straight (if the bar was 4-5 inches higher I probably could though). Obviously many other exercises also suffer. What do I do? I'm currently in a 3day split with deadlifts, squats, and bench respectively on each day, plus appropriate auxiliaries. On deadlift day I try to do them with low weights to practice but it's pretty much impossible. I have a stretch routine I do before I start lifting and it helps a little, but not enough.

So what do I do? Is there a good routine for inflexible people that helps me work towards being able to do things like deadlifts?

In addition to what the others have said, take a look at Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 routine. The OP has a link to my Evernote page and has a list of YouTube videos on mobility stuff. It also has my own personal pre-hab warm-up routine, just as an example of what I do, not something I would recommend if you're as mobile as I am.

ILoveBish

My options are basically Chuck Taylor's, my 0.6" Adidas Powerlift 2.0s, or my 0.75" Wei-Rui Warriors. I hear that oly shoes help engage the quads more, but I don't want to create any additional deficit (although my weakest part for deadlift is off the floor and not the lockout)

I do deadlift in my oly shoes and prefer it. To me, it's more explosive off of the ground. I was weaker out of the gate in chucks. YMMV.

J. Bravo

i dont think you're supposed to deadlift in oly shoes. i trained with the world record holder in squat and deadlift in the 162 (I think) weight class a few times, and he was wearing the socks u speak of to deadlift, and had some nice adipowers to squat in.

Matugi

I do deadlift in my oly shoes and prefer it. To me, it's more explosive off of the ground. I was weaker out of the gate in chucks. YMMV.

I'm just gonna go ahead and invest in some Chucks and experiment. I have to take a deload week anyway as I build my strength back.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
God damnit.

I might've injured my elbow joint somehow during the last few sessions. Can't do a curling motion without some pain. Time to take a break and visit my doc.

I deadlift barefoot. Feels good to me.

Unrelated, if you had around a week before a show... what would you do to get that little bit more ripped? I don't have a show, but I do want to look at my leanest for the weekend after next. Diet is on point, and still working out... just wondering if I might be best adding a little something in (can't do more cardio), or if I should just dump the calories another chunk and hope my body holds onto the muscle as best it can.

ILoveBish

I deadlift barefoot. Feels good to me.

Unrelated, if you had around a week before a show... what would you do to get that little bit more ripped? I don't have a show, but I do want to look at my leanest for the weekend after next. Diet is on point, and still working out... just wondering if I might be best adding a little something in (can't do more cardio), or if I should just dump the calories another chunk and hope my body holds onto the muscle as best it can.

Reduce water intake? Saunas?

Sadly I don't have access to a sauna and I don't think reducing my water intake will be a good idea as I will be spending the entire weekend cycling in fairly hot weather.

TheBear

So, most protein powders are usually milk products (Whey/Casein anyways). There's no reason to be afraid of it if you're lactose intolerant, you just have to pay attention to the ingredients. The one you listed is missing lactase, the enzyme that allows you to process lactose if you're intolerant. Most of the bigger companies will include it in their mix so that people like you and I can actually use their product without ill effects. ON, and Dymatize as far as I know include lactase in their protein powders. Keep an eye out and you'll avoid the digestive discomfort.

OK so keep an eye out for powders with Lactase added. Great thank you!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Elitefts emailed. My rack and bench shipped. UPS is supposed to call to set up a delivery date. Excited.

Damn dude, ridiculously impressive how you hold great form at that weight. With the path you're on I can see you hitting 300 this year.

May have to try this. I'm a huge fan of sweet potatoes.

I'm at full mast after seeing your post FE..

MikeTysonFUCKOFF.gif

Swoledebeest

If commenting everytime you OHP makes me a brolic groupie, fuck it, I guess I'm a brolic groupie. 260 lbs like a hot knife through butter.

300 by YE would be amazing

Thanks guys. Not counting my chickens before they hatch. A lot could happen in the next 40lbs.

I'm only 20lbs from my all time max.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Paused db bench keeps going up, 3x5x77.5s. Couldn't get the sixth rep I wanted on the last set, though.

To add to my dumbbell kick, and because nothing better was available, I did 1x5x100s for deadlifts. Felt the same, except you can't drop the weight at the top.

Rounded things out with leg press, pull-ups and dips. Leg press feels unnatural and horrible as you might expect. Craving squats on Friday.

Sadly I don't have access to a sauna and I don't think reducing my water intake will be a good idea as I will be spending the entire weekend cycling in fairly hot weather.

Don't reduce your calorie Intake drastically. If you throw your body off a routine of when and where it's calories come from you risk your body burning to much Glycogen which will make your muscles not look full. At this point I would do a front loading approach to your carbs getting lower till the day right before where you will hit about 25% of your normal intake. Do the same with sodium

Mr. X

Try stir-frying. Just as easy and quick.

Definitely the easiest. Pour soy sauce and sriracha all over it while frying it up.

Or,
grill up the chicken
Steam the broccoli and add some cheese, mayo or hot sauce (whatever your macros allow)
Bake the sweet potato in the microwave and mash it up.
Pretty quick too and super tasty.

Basic, but good option for your sweet potato:

http://www.amazingpaleo.com/2012/08/18/roasted-rosemary-sweet-potatoes/

Easy, not all that quick, but worth it for my 800g of post workout sweet potatoes. Confirmed to be tasty. =)
This was delicious but didn't do the sweet potato. Got to try that sweet potato next.

3phemeral

I finally got confirmation that what I'm seeing are my abs already. I honestly did not expect them out so soon. I've likely been underestimating my progress because who is ever happy with how they look.

I really think the 20X range is going to be where things become more obvious to me. Right now I'm eating 1-300 calories more in the evenings and not fasting on purpose because I don't want my body getting used to the fasting and negating the effects.

Thing is adapting really quick nowadays. Need a really solid monthly plan to follow, and it looks like I'll be busy all week again.

I can't wait to get to this point. It seems the more weight I lose, the more I'm surprised about where there are additional pockets of fat left. It's like, I'm a much smaller person underneath all that body fat than I even thought possible. Reading things like this really helps me keep on track, though. Sometimes the slow change can get to a point where it's practically imperceptible, which can sometimes lead you to second guess yourself.

Every single iPhone workout tracker app is garbage in their own special ways. Strong is the closest to good, in that you can easily add reps/sets/weight and repeat routines. Also it isn't weird as fuck about making it clear what separates a "workout" and "routine." Almost every other app makes that process so convoluted.

Wulfric

Hi FitnessGAF, I've been lurking in this thread for a few days and ran into a discrepancy between what myfitnesspal and the 1percentedge calculator are telling me to consume for a workout day. The former is telling me to consume 2800 (after entering a workout). 1percent is saying 2200 (at 20% over TDEE). According to my food dairy, I managed only 1550 calories even after two glasses of milk, OJ, and peanut butter in the mix. I was really wolfing stuff down to reach that number today, but apparently I should be eating more?

I suppose I'll say a little about myself:
Height: 5'5 ft
Weight: 140 lbs
Goal: Upper body strength. Not necessarily "big", I just don't want twigs for arms anymore.
Current Training Schedule: I take an early morning jog twice a week. I'll do a few sets of push ups and use the dumbells as well.
Current Equipment: A set of 20 lb dumbells and a pair of Adidas. I can start using the university gym in five weeks.

I'm also taking a weight training class in the fall, so I'm trying to develop good habits for that. Most of the information in the OP was new to me. Prior to this week, my fitness plan was basically "Avoid Doritos and soda".

OK so keep an eye out for powders with Lactase added. Great thank you!

Yup, you don't even have to look all that far. Optimum Nutrition (ON) is held in high regard for their protein powders, and here's their ingredients/nutrition:

100-whey-facts.jpg

There's an important ingredient listed, for both of us lol.

Generally drinking calories isn't a beneficial way to lose weight, but I do like tasty drinks myself. Here's a few to consider:

Kaizen (If you can obtain it, it's easyish to get in Canada): http://www.kaizenprotein.com/nutrition.html
Dymatize ISO-100 (Please don't buy it from their site at that price wtf): http://www.dymatize.com/protein/iso-100/5lb
ISOPure (Two varieties to suit your needs):http://www.theisopurecompany.com/product/isopurecoffee.html
http://www.theisopurecompany.com/product/isopurezerocarb.html
(edit)I forgot this one:
http://www.canadianprotein.com/bulk-whey-protein-isolate.html

Generally all these shake mixes aren't cheap, and most of the calories probably come from fat if anything (although not always). Also, you may want to consider how much "1 serving" is. Some products list 2 scoops as the serving amount, and 21-22 servings per container. If you feel like you can get away with just having 1 scoop, then suddenly your serving amount just went way up. You may want to consider messing around with adding milk or low cal frozen yogurt to get the shake to the consistency that you'd like.
Thank you!

ILoveBish

I can't wait to get to this point. It seems the more weight I lose, the more I'm surprised about where there are additional pockets of fat left. It's like, I'm a much smaller person underneath all that body fat than I even thought possible. Reading things like this really helps me keep on track, though. Sometimes the slow change can get to a point where it's practically imperceptible, which can sometimes lead you to second guess yourself.

Today I was just pumping gas and when I looked at my car, my reflection had my bicep vein out in full force, looked really good. I just don't see myself like this, it's like I'm inside someone else's body at times. I still feel like a super obese dude. Going to be a while till I get over all of the damage done mentally from the obesity.

And yeah, charges are slow, you really need to take pics for comparison sakes.

Anybody here not use protein powder? I'm going to try to stick to real foods and ditch the supps for the next month. I'm still going to eat like a horse but just try and get rid of all the processed nonsense.

I only use protein powder for my breakfast smoothies. Everything else is regular food. Its just really convenient.

Don't reduce your calorie Intake drastically. If you throw your body off a routine of when and where it's calories come from you risk your body burning to much Glycogen which will make your muscles not look full. At this point I would do a front loading approach to your carbs getting lower till the day right before where you will hit about 25% of your normal intake. Do the same with sodium

Cheers. I've never really tracked sodium (I eat very little of it), but I'll see where I am with it over the next few days.

Edit - Ha, turns out I hadn't been as bad as I thought on my holiday. Lost a kg overnight, which means that I had just taken on a lot of water (this makes sense, I was drinking like a fish because the heat was ridiculous over there.)

1,4kgs of chicken, rice and some cocnut milk...

https://instagram.com/p/5uvsouv8Xl/

You have a recipe for what you've put on the chicken there? Looks delicious.

DOWN

Banned
Does just about everyone cycle calories and carbs? Like more on working days, less on rest days? And if yes, to what degree?

MrMuscle

Thanks, I reckon I can work out something pretty similar. :)

Edit - Actually, it's quite close to Nando's flavouring based on the ingredients.

Swoldier Dan

Neo Member
Hi FitnessGAF, I've been lurking in this thread for a few days and ran into a discrepancy between what myfitnesspal and the 1percentedge calculator are telling me to consume for a workout day. The former is telling me to consume 2800 (after entering a workout). 1percent is saying 2200 (at 20% over TDEE). According to my food dairy, I managed only 1550 calories even after two glasses of milk, OJ, and peanut butter in the mix. I was really wolfing stuff down to reach that number today, but apparently I should be eating more?

Goal: Upper body strength. Not necessarily "big", I just don't want twigs for arms anymore.
Current Training Schedule: I take an early morning jog twice a week. I'll do a few sets of push ups and use the dumbells as well.
Current Equipment: A set of 20 lb dumbells and a pair of Adidas. I can start using the university gym in five weeks.

I'm also taking a weight training class in the fall, so I'm trying to develop good habits for that. Most of the information in the OP was new to me. Prior to this week, my fitness plan was basically "Avoid Doritos and soda".

I'm like you but 5'6" and 140 lbs (up from 128 lbs a month and a half ago). I had to drink mass gainers to meet my daily caloric targets, and eat a lot more on heavy lifting days.

One thing I'll note for the smaller guys (I'm one of you). You may not need anywhere near the calories the calculators suggest for bulking. Just watch the scale and carefully modify your diet as you go. Friends of mine have ended up putting on three or four lbs a week... which is fantastic if you want to get fat, but not so much use if you're trying to put on muscle without too much fat.

Unless you're a freakbeast (you're not) or on gear then you really don't need to put on any more than 1lb a week.

Wurst

Hello GAF,
I’ve been hitting the gym since September and got some nice gains. I've been doing a 4-split, skipping the leg day occasionally *cough* I didn't really put much thought in my Routine, just used one that I thought made sense.

Due to time constraints (and promise of massive gains) I'd now like to Switch to a 5x5 Routine.

Height: 180
Weight: 78

Current Training Schedule (I had trouble translating them from German)
Day 1 (Back, Abs)
Deadlifts (220lbs)
Row
Lat Pull to chest
Butterfly Reverse
Ab machine (?)
Lateral Raises
Crunch
Diagonal Crunch
Heels to Heavens

Day 2 (Shoulder / Biceps)
Military Press (77lbs)
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curls (cant say for sure)
Scott Curl
Dumbbell Curls
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Cablecurl

Day 3 (Chest / Triceps)
20 Pushups
Bench Press (132lbs)
Pushdowns
Pushdowns one handed
Butterfly
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Day 4 (Leg / Abs)
Squats (165lbs)
Leg press
Calf press
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Abs same as day 1

I'd really like to see what GAF thinks of this workout and if it was any good.

Goal:
Well, I'd really like to gain some muscles and weight. I'm pretty lackluster in the chest and leg Department. At the same time, i want to get rid of the fat around my waist.

I'm eying the StrongLifts 5x5 from the OP, though I want to add a few additonal excercises per workout (3 just doesn't feel enough)... especially Abs. Is this possible? What would you recommend?

BumRush

Elitefts emailed. My rack and bench shipped. UPS is supposed to call to set up a delivery date. Excited.

Thanks guys. Not counting my chickens before they hatch. A lot could happen in the next 40lbs.

I'm only 20lbs from my all time max.

The rack and bench, then your home gym is complete for a while?

Does just about everyone cycle calories and carbs? Like more on working days, less on rest days? And if yes, to what degree?
I don't. But I'm also a type 1 diabetic with half of a thyroid that only works about 5% and I have very strict eating routines to compensate.

I eat only enough to keep my fat% steady while I gain. I gain slow but I won't need to lose 40+ lbs to cut for summer. I only adjust by fractions for cutting and gaining (I can't call it a bulk).

I shoot for about 1lb per month of lean muscle and I think that's huge for someone like me. I'm 210 right now and 6'3". I would need to lose about 12lbs to be right for summer which I think would make me too skinny at 13% body fat at that weight.

I'm an off-case though. You may benefit from cycling. I would only require more or less meds if I do and risk some serious health issues if I rolled over 3k calories in a day and swung my caloric intake daily. My usual is about 2.7k to 2.8k which certainly isn't much but I'm only a few hundred calories of a window between gaining, sustaining and losing so I literally measure everything that goes into my mouth. Then I adjust my meds to compensate for any changes.

Its a slow process but I barely have to do much to cut and I gain consistently, strength goes up consistently so I'm happy. Granted I wish I could hit 4k calories and beast out but that's a pipe dream hahaha! I'd wreck my kidneys with meds if I tried :p

leakey

Started incorporating OHP yesterday. Tried 3x5 at 75lbs. Definitely feeling it in my shoulders today, in a good way. Rest day today. Is it bad if I continue to do bodyweight exercises on an off day if I got the time?

rokkerkory

Started incorporating OHP yesterday. Tried 3x5 at 75lbs. Definitely feeling it in my shoulders today, in a good way. Rest day today. Is it bad if I continue to do bodyweight exercises on an off day if I got the time?

Body weight on off day sounds good to me. I used to do pushups like crazy on my off days.

Don't worry about tracking your daily TDEE. Instead, weigh yourself regulary (once a week is good), and always under the same conditions (i.e. first thing in the morning, wearing just underwear).

Eat the same amount of calories each day, and if you notice your weight stall 2 weeks in a row, bump up your daily calories by 300-500 calories.

TDEE calculators don't actually work, they are too many variables to consider. They're only really good for estimating your starting point.

Bit-Bit

Sup guys, I visit this thread from time to time to see how some of fit gaf members are going along. Over the past year, I've seen some mighty impressive results and improvements from a lot of yall. This thread also keeps me pumped up for fitness throughout the week. So I Just wanted to drop in and say KEEP IT UP!

BumRush

Hello GAF,
I’ve been hitting the gym since September and got some nice gains. I've been doing a 4-split, skipping the leg day occasionally *cough* I didn't really put much thought in my Routine, just used one that I thought made sense.

Due to time constraints (and promise of massive gains) I'd now like to Switch to a 5x5 Routine.

Height: 180
Weight: 78

Goal:
Well, I'd really like to gain some muscles and weight. I'm pretty lackluster in the chest and leg Department. At the same time, i want to get rid of the fat around my waist.

I'm eying the StrongLifts 5x5 from the OP, though I want to add a few additonal excercises per workout (3 just doesn't feel enough)... especially Abs. Is this possible? What would you recommend?

Hey Wurst...I'd suggest giving Stronglifts 5X5 a shot vs. just doing a workout that you dreamed up.

You can most certainly do abs in addition to the provided workout and even add assistance lifts as well. There is no harm in adding a little, just don't remove or substitute from SL5X5's plan.

p.s. just as an FYI...if you have a flabby stomach, doing abs isn't going to help. Address your diet as well.

Sup guys, I visit this thread from time to time to see how some of fit gaf members are going along. Over the past year, I've seen some mighty impressive results and improvements from a lot of yall. This thread also keeps me pumped up for fitness throughout the week. So I Just wanted to drop in and say KEEP IT UP!

Thanks man! You too.

Takuan

Fit-GAF, I have roughly 4 weeks to look a bit better than I currently do. I'm a 6'4" 210 ectomorph, and my flab is all in my belly. It's not really that bad in the morning on account of my metabolism, however after eating, the gut is real. I wouldn't mind so much if my upper body wasn't as scrawny as it is.

For the past few days, I've done some or all of the following:

• Push-ups
  • Dumbell shoulder press
  • Stationary bike (no longer than 20 minutes, this is a must because I'm currently rehabbing/strengthening my knee)
Started watching House of Cards recently and may start using the rowing machine in my building's gym. I also play basketball once a week.

GOAL: Development in the traps/neck area, shoulders, and mid/upper back. Visible abs.

NOTES: I only have access to free weights. I cannot do a pull-up.

I'm confident I can at least begin to see results in the 4-week time span with hard effort, solid rest, and dietary discipline (this is the really the hardest), but figured Fit-GAF could offer some helpful pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Bowser

Got back yesterday from a week in the Pacific Northwest (first time visiting Portland/Seattle). Didn't give a damn about macros or calories the whole week, ate like a boss. Checked my weight yesterday, ended up putting on 8 lbs in 7 days lol. Already lost 5 of that as of this morning. Water weight's a crazy thing.

Szu

They wouldn't take no for an answer :(

My in-laws are the worst. I get lured into their home and they ambushed me with steak, chicken, fried rice, and ice cream. Then, they tell me that any leftovers might be thrown away because they don't eat this stuff. They only have it there when we visit.

Yes, I'm actually complaining about having a good relationship with my-laws and free food.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
My in-laws are the worst. I get lured into their home and they ambushed me with steak, chicken, fried rice, and ice cream. Then, they tell me that any leftovers might be thrown away because they don't eat this stuff. They only have it there when we visit.

Yes, I'm actually complaining about having a good relationship with my-laws and free food.

Ice cream and cake are just the worst at family gatherings. Not because they're hard to resist or anything, but because someone will always bring you a bowl of it and then guilt trip you when you say no lol.

Fuck em. I spent all of the last two days being offered various cakes, biscuits, sandwiches etc. Only so many times I can say no before in my opinion it's the other person just being rude.

If you want to eat, eat. I don't have to eat with you for you to have permission.

yogloo

I find business trips worse than family gatherings. Nobody takes no as an answer, even worse when you are trying to get on their good side. All the unlimited alcohol and food. During family gatherings you can always do take aways for excess stuff and eat them slowly over time.

I find business trips worse than family gatherings. Nobody takes no as an answer, even worse when you are trying to get on their good side. All the unlimited alcohol and food. During family gatherings you can always do take aways for excess stuff and eat them slowly over time.
You can actually use it as a test of someone's character. Offer someone a chewing gum stick and then if they say no, hold it there. If they take it, they're WEAK, and should be mistrusted. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom