• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Yup. And with an extreme amount of exercise you can eat an insane amount.

Like what Michael Phelps was eating.

phelps-diet%5B1%5D.jpg

While this isn't a good idea, I do tend to do a fair amount of "zig zag" dieting in which I would eat a ton (way over my daily caloric intake) for 1-2 days before going eating a fairly low calorie diet for the next 5-7 days. Talking about hitting the protein macros and that is it. Carbs and fat as necessary. Repeat as necessary.

Good work man. That strong bulk has paid off.

thanks boss!

Bowser

phelps-diet%5B1%5D.jpg

2000 calories worth of energy drinks a day, holy fuck. That's like nearly 20 cans of Red Bull :|

While this isn't a good idea, I do tend to do a fair amount of "zig zag" dieting in which I would eat a ton (way over my daily caloric intake) for 1-2 days before going eating a fairly low calorie diet for the next 5-7 days. Talking about hitting the protein macros and that is it. Carbs and fat as necessary. Repeat as necessary.

I'm sort of like this, but not to that extreme. I eat probably 400-500 calories over maintenance on weekends, but on weekdays keep it pretty strict hitting my macros and keeping about a 400 cal deficit. So it definitely slows me down on a cut, but it allows me to enjoy hanging out with friends during the summer time.

The Chef

Question for IF dog bros:
In the morning I make a latte so it's a double shot of espresso and maybe a 1/4cup of whole milk.

...would the milk break the fast?

Edit: found this on a Q&A on the lean gains site:
So, it's a question of a dose-response effect. Can you have some milk in your coffee? Sure, I wouldn't worry about it and I have it myself. Life would just be too damn boring with only black coffee, especially if you're used to having some milk with it. How much milk/cream? I would put the limit at 50 kcal total used throughout the fast. That's about 1 deciliter or 1/2 cup 2% milk.

Sweeeet. For a minute I was thinking there is no way I could just have straight espresso in the morning.

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
Doctor told me I have "Adult ADD" and gave me adderall. I've only been taking it off and on for a few months now but every time I do, I have the strongest urge to work out. The only problem is that I'm afraid of having a heart attack or something because I also have Hypertension (high blood pressure). Also I'm 5'8" and 200-ish pounds so I'm in between fat and muscular already. I might start out with your easier regiments to see how my body handles it. Does anyone have any idea on how to keep your BP down during a good jogging/lifting session?

sphinx

the piano man

phelps-diet%5B1%5D.jpg

this is mind blowing but is also true.

I probably shouldn't say this cause it could potentially mislead some people.. but I lost around 10 kgs/18 lbs in 2012 just running around and exercising, I never did any diet. In fact, Sometimes I'd come from 1 hour cardio back home just to eat a huge stuffed pizza and I always ate anything I wanted, including Ice cream, macdonalds, absolutely anything, and I had never looked leaner in my life than that year.

I was, however, jogging at a relatively high speed (like 13 kph) 4 or 5 times a week for at least an hour, I was burning like crazy

That was the point of the exercise at the beginning: to burn so much calories, that whatever I'd eat, would result in a caloric deficit.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Is it bad to eat a lot of junk/wing stop to get protein in? I think I am not getting enough protein from my meals+protein shake.

How bad is junk food if you drink a lot of water and exercise a lot?

Problem with junk food is they can be calorie dense. They add up quick. I'm slimming while eating some junk food but, when you use portion control, you'd be surprised how many calories are in a serving of youre typical pastry or something similar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sick!

Just curious...how much of your monthly income / budget goes to exercise related stuff?

I don't budget it, I get it as I want/need it. My wife and I are good with money and both have very good careers though. Just for reference I still have a significant amount of money left from my Iraq tours and we just bought my wife a replacement car cash, out of pocket, no financing for 15,000. Shit, I also paid for her last two years of college, paid off her student loans, put 20k down on our first house and some other baller ass shit.

We also maintain a 0 balance on our credit cards and I season my omlets with crushed diamonds.

#makesmydookietwinkle

Doctor told me I have "Adult ADD" and gave me adderall. I've only been taking it off and on for a few months now but every time I do, I have the strongest urge to work out. The only problem is that I'm afraid of having a heart attack or something because I also have Hypertension (high blood pressure). Also I'm 5'8" and 200-ish pounds so I'm in between fat and muscular already. I might start out with your easier regiments to see how my body handles it. Does anyone have any idea on how to keep your BP down during a good jogging/lifting session?

I also have hypertension and work out, the key is to actually do the cardio work. Yes, your BP will raise initially why you do any type of cardio (the blood has to get to those muscles some how) eventually, the heart will adapt and get better at pumping more blood to those muscles the more you work out and overtime your BP will drop. Other things like your resting heart rate will go down which is good, stroke volume will rise (the amount of blood pumped per unit time) and eventually that will cause your BP to drop.

Other things like a good diet (low in sodium and cholesterol) along with possible medicinal help (ACE inhibitors, beta blockers depending on how serious the hypertension is) will all help.

andycapps

If you want to keep your blood pressure down I think walking would be better for you and ease into jogging if you feel like it.

What has your doctor told you about working out? Are you cleared to do so?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got 71%, said i need work on biceps/forarms, lats and rear delts. Everything else was above average. But these numbers are not my true maxes, since i'm just following the routine as a guideline, im not actually training to see what my true 1rm is. Once i'm ready to bulk, i'll have real 1RM's and will compare again. My forarms are pretty damn spiffy, i get told all the time how huge/defined they are.

Yeah, I've never tried to find out my 1RMs. Seems kind of pointless to me since my strength level as a ratio to body weight is still in the novice/intermediate level.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm on the back half of my 30s now. Turned 36 today. Here's hoping these genetics hold up!

The menu tonight will only be for the true eaters. Ribs, Salmon, shrimp, tons of sides, cheesecake, strawberry/rubarb pie, Peanut Buttah B&Js, and probably more I'm forgetting.

JCX

I would think training heavy dips would be a good replacement.

Wrist shouldn't be involved in your bench, though. Hundreds of pounds will unlock any wrist. I have a bad wrist and dumbbell bench press just fine.

Thanks for the alternatives. My wrist snapping back (basically to a 90 degree angle) happens even when I'm just doing the bar. My 1 rep max now is about 160, but I had a weak day yesterday and had trouble with 135 due to my wrists.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Thanks for the alternatives. My wrist snapping back (basically to a 90 degree angle) happens even when I'm just doing the bar. My 1 rep max now is about 160, but I had a weak day yesterday and had trouble with 135 due to my wrists.

Maybe you could wrap the wrists when you know you're hitting a weight that compromises your wrists

Is corn bad?

Ive been doing squats regularly in addition to my general workout but I'm thinking of focusing on cutting /losing weight.

Im 5'7" 1/2 and 165-170 lbs. Is it a good time to just bulk or should I try to lose weight?

I feel like with both, I'll have to reevaluate my diet. Bulking sounds particularly harder since I wont know how much Im eating to help me at the gym and how much Im eating that will make me just fatter

The Chef

I'm on the back half of my 30s now. Turned 36 today. Here's hoping these genetics hold up!

The menu tonight will only be for the true eaters. Ribs, Salmon, shrimp, tons of sides, cheesecake, strawberry/rubarb pie, Peanut Buttah B&Js, and probably more I'm forgetting.

Frick Coot! Dude you look fantastic. Chest/ab definition are top notch. Beastly shoulders bro. Killin it man.

Sick!

Just curious...how much of your monthly income / budget goes to exercise related stuff?

Dude I want some chains so badly. That is awesome.

Thanks again Brolic for those Joker and FSL suggestions! I've started working them into my programming and I'm loving the volume at the levels of each.

Oh and that Halo Top ice cream is really, really good. Shame its $7 a pint where I live. I'll treat it as a somewhat healthy cheat meal.

If you shaved your face Cooter you would seriously look late twenties at the most. Super impressive and it goes to show that being in good shape helps keep you healthy and young looking.

Oh its your bday? Happy bday dude.

I would immediately buy some wraps from eliteFTS or mark bells site. Both places make great wraps. They have helped me a bunch on bench and OHP.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Happy birthday coot.

Thanks again Brolic for those Joker and FSL suggestions! I've started working them into my programming and I'm loving the volume at the levels of each.

Oh and that Halo Top ice cream is really, really good. Shame its $7 a pint where I live. I'll treat it as a somewhat healthy cheat meal.

If you shaved your face Cooter you would seriously look late twenties at the most. Super impressive and it goes to show that being in good shape helps keep you healthy and young looking.

No problem bud.

Anyone have a suggestion for a full body weights routine for me? For the last year I've been doing an individual split which has worked well, but I'm switching to cycling training 5 days a week and there's going to end up being too much of a gap between body parts.

I'm ideally looking for around four days a week of lifting, at least three of which will be done twice a day training with the full body weights routine. Can't really be spending more than an hour and a half on the lifting part.

I like the idea of 5/3/1, but I think I might struggle with the training load on the third week when combined with the cycling.

BumRush

I don't budget it, I get it as I want/need it. My wife and I are good with money and both have very good careers though. Just for reference I still have a significant amount of money left from my Iraq tours and we just bought my wife a replacement car cash, out of pocket, no financing for 15,000. Shit, I also paid for her last two years of college, paid off her student loans, put 20k down on our first house and some other baller ass shit.

We also maintain a 0 balance on our credit cards and I season my omlets with crushed diamonds.

#makesmydookietwinkle

Very nice. It feels amazing to be debt free (except mortgage). Your gym is looking insane right now. How much you charging for one day guest passes?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Very nice. It feels amazing to be debt free (except mortgage). Your gym is looking insane right now. How much you charging for one day guest passes?

It's the best. And thanks man, actually just framed around my deadlift platform today too. Looks a little ghetto, but it's just 2x4s boxing in my platform to keep anything from shifting.

I love my gym. I just need to get a lawyer to make me a waiver and I can invite people over.
11035742_10207641573228344_6179261928514987886_n.jpg

UrAvgGuy

Happy birthday peanut buttah bro! looking beastly as always.

iddqd

#makesmydookietwinkle

A couple of years ago this would have made me shrug,
NOW
with a baby and a wife, this stuff is gold. Good for you!

giphy.gif

Cooper

Happy birthday! Did you do 36 pull-ups to celebrate?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm keeping the beard until I feel I need a 5-7 year age drop in appearance! Nice to have it in your back pocket. This place is an instant pick me up. Appreciate the kind words.

Happy birthday! Did you do 36 pull-ups to celebrate?
Nope but I had a little extra in the tank for chest and bis.

ILoveBish

Had guests over again today, chicken wings in butter and hot sauce, salami with pepper jack cheese, vitamix ice cream with strawberrys and blueberries and 86% chocolate. I need to pull a 27+ hour day, so i have corned beef left overs to get me through the gym and work today. Will be back to one meal a day starting tuesday and strict diet of 1750. Oh and i went up to 227 after refeeding. That is still the lowest non-fasted i've ever been. Really on track for good stuff. I will not be fasting for over 24 hours for at least 2 weeks, so sometime in sept i'll likely do another 48 or 72 hour fast. Right now its back to consistency and the grind.

You can certainly out work a shit diet without drugs, just calorie count or expend more energy.

There are exceptions to the rule obviously, and you're a living example. But the amount of calories you burn vs the normal person here is literally 3-5x+ difference. What you get away with is amazing tho, for real.

phelps-diet%5B1%5D.jpg

You'll have to forgive me for not really being too sure that he isn't on gear. Anyone using their body for $$$ or glory is more likely to be on gear then not. Thats like dudes who say The Rock or CT Fletcher are natty lifters cause they say so. So i wouldn't compare the results of these people to normal dudes.

Question for IF dog bros:
In the morning I make a latte so it's a double shot of espresso and maybe a 1/4cup of whole milk.

...would the milk break the fast?

Edit: found this on a Q&A on the lean gains site:

Sweeeet. For a minute I was thinking there is no way I could just have straight espresso in the morning.

That will very likely stop the fasting process. The general rule is 50 calories, but it's much more about the insulin spike then it is the number of calories. Anything that spikes insulin even a touch will stop you from fasting. I drink coffee with stevia, tea with stevia, and water. Right now i'm using water with mio as well mixed with normal water, but i'm going to stop that also. Most of the IF dudes don't like artificial sweetners (stevia isnt artificial).

this is mind blowing but is also true.

I probably shouldn't say this cause it could potentially mislead some people.. but I lost around 10 kgs/18 lbs in 2012 just running around and exercising, I never did any diet. In fact, Sometimes I'd come from 1 hour cardio back home just to eat a huge stuffed pizza and I always ate anything I wanted, including Ice cream, macdonalds, absolutely anything, and I had never looked leaner in my life than that year.

I was, however, jogging at a relatively high speed (like 13 kph) 4 or 5 times a week for at least an hour, I was burning like crazy

That was the point of the exercise at the beginning: to burn so much calories, that whatever I'd eat, would result in a caloric deficit.

Some people can get away with it, and you weren't super obese like a lot of others are. The leaner you are, the more you can get away with diet wise. Its a LOT easier as you lean out. If you were 100+lbs obese, then your results would be very different i'd bet. I'd also mention insulin sensitivity as another factor. Some people get by much better then others just due to that.

Problem with junk food is they can be calorie dense. They add up quick. I'm slimming while eating some junk food but, when you use portion control, you'd be surprised how many calories are in a serving of youre typical pastry or something similar.

Yes, it is quite insane. I saw a chocolate filled cookie at food 4 less a few months ago. The tiny little thing was over 600 calories by itself. Its insane how much junk they full those food with.

Yeah, I've never tried to find out my 1RMs. Seems kind of pointless to me since my strength level as a ratio to body weight is still in the novice/intermediate level.

I was never into 1RM's before i got into 5/3/1, but now i appreciate knowing these numbers. It's just more data to track, and it is more accurate then using a calculator to measure out your 1RM. Some people are more explosive on certain lifts then others, and can knock out a higher 1RM then they expect. Its nice to see what you're capable of.

First, happy bday broseph. Second, i just turned 37 a month-ish ago and you're such an inspiration to me. I can see things on you body shape wise that is slowly happening to me. I love it. I showed your pic to my brother who is 41 and has started lifting after seeing my life change from it, and he said "i want to look like this dude". You're seriously a great motivation tool!

I may have just eaten around 3500kcal in one sitting... and now I'm in some digestive pain.

Impressive. Most impressive.

On re-examination, I see why that would be the case. Maybe it would work out then.

I love 5/3/1. I don't follow the program to get stronger, just use it as a template and its amazing. The slow as heck progression is what i find most pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom