• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrapeApes

20% of quest protein canisters with the LUVPRTN20 code, using it to try banana flavor
$32 for 2lbs of protein? Quest can kick rocks. The reason I would pay a premium for their bars is because a majority of protein bars taste like ass and their macros are shit. I can get tasty powder that cost less and have more protein per serving.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
It's going to take me a while to get used to doing squats with a belt on again. Rebound didn't feel natural and I kept pausing at the bottom. Really tired of not being able to break through 240lbs on squats.

Also, what's a good poundage to start using a belt on deadlifts? Honestly I don't like using it at all, but I will if it's holding me back.

It's going to take me a while to get used to doing squats with a belt on again. Rebound didn't feel natural and I kept pausing at the bottom. Really tired of not being able to break through 240lbs on squats.

Also, what's a good poundage to start using a belt on deadlifts? Honestly I don't like using it at all, but I will if it's holding me back.
When you need it. I just inhale as much as I can and hold it in through the entire motion making sure to keep my core solid as a rock.

Bowser

I started using a belt once I hit 275 on DL...feel a lot more stable/braced.

SeanR1221

How tall are you? Any goal weight of bf% you aiming for?

Nice progress regardless!

--------------------
Speaking of, I never posted in here the results on my 2015 cut went from 220-196. 5'8"

196_08_2015.jpg

What's crazy is that in 2007 i was 380lbs....

Yeah you're transformation picture from the weight loss thread was incredible. Awesome job, inspirational stuff.

I'm 5'8 as well. No particular bf% in mind. I wanna see how I look at around 185-188. Honestly I have no idea what my bf% currently is

SeanR1221

Goddamn I wish I had that on tape. Pulled a 430lb deadlift. That's 10lbs away from my all time pr...which I pulled when I was 34lbs heavier.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Goddamn I wish I had that on tape. Pulled a 430lb deadlift. That's 10lbs away from my all time pr...which I pulled when I was 34lbs heavier.
Attaboy! Nothing better than increasing your strength to bw ratio IMO.

Cooter

Do you guys realize just how much chicken, shrimp, and asparagus you can eat and only be at 600 calories? It's ridiculous.

sphinx

the piano man
Do you guys realize just how much chicken, shrimp, and asparagus you can eat and only be at 600 calories? It's ridiculous.

lawdy i love shrimp

Shrimp is amazing, great for my stomach and tastes great if you cook it with butter and some herbs,

Pasta with cooked Shrimps, Champignons, Garlic and Onions is probably my favorite recipe of mine.

but like most fish, if you are looking to gain mass, you have to eat a ridiculous amount of it :/

MrMuscle

Ive been doing my own workouts an diet for a while now after having a coach for the last couple of years. I just wanted to do something different. So im training a bit more instinctive, i know what muscle groups im gonna hit but thats about it. It feels great and with the tweaks in my diet im having a blast.

When i decide to get a proper program again i might hire John Meadows for a try. I love his view on things.

This is my legs right now, feeling pretty good (and no pains!)

https://instagram.com/p/7QAU1qP8Yy/

Cooter

Ive been doing own workouts an diet for a while now after having a coach for the last couple of years. I just wanted to do something different. So im training a bit more instinctive, i know what muscle groups im gonna hit but thats about it. It feels great and with the tweaks in my diet im having a blast.

When i decide to get a proper program again i might hire John Meadows for a try. I love his view on things.

Living up to the thread title. #BulgeSwelfies

Hey guys, I just started Stonglifts 5x5 and I'm really enjoying it so far but for some of the exercises I'm not strong enough to use the bar. So I've been using dumbbells until I get up to the bar weight then I'll switch over. Will that impact my form or progress? thanks

Kopite

Hey guys, after reading up on the fact that since I've only been weightlifting for the last 2 months I can apparently still lose fat and gain muscle and that the best way to do this to HIIT in addition to my resistance training(I think?). I'm currently doing a 4 day workout plan with rest days on Wednesday and the weekends. How do I incorporate HIIT workouts into my current plan? I don't know much about them.

Ive been doing my own workouts an diet for a while now after having a coach for the last couple of years. I just wanted to do something different. So im training a bit more instinctive, i know what muscle groups im gonna hit but thats about it. It feels great and with the tweaks in my diet im having a blast.

Living up to the thread title. #BulgeSwelfies

hell yes

welcome to the club, the #bulgeswelfie club

3phemeral

Hey guys, after reading up on the fact that since I've only been weightlifting for the last 2 months I can apparently still lose fat and gain muscle and that the best way to do this to HIIT in addition to my resistance training(I think?). I'm currently doing a 4 day workout plan with rest days on Wednesday and the weekends. How do I incorporate HIIT workouts into my current plan? I don't know much about them.

From what I've read, you're not supposed to do HIIT or any kind of cardio on legs days. Personally, I only do HIIT when I'm not lifting because it takes a lot of energy out of me. I'm usually pretty sore and drained after a 35 minute HIIT session. M/W/F are for lifting, T/Th are for HIIT, and Sat/Sunday is light cardio.

I always did cardio on leg day, but then I always did cardio on pretty much every day. I just had to scale my cardio work as appropriate as it was usually a bit more difficult.

Far harder for me was trying to do turbo trainer work on the day after leg day. Legs usually had absolutely nothing to give at that point.

Cooter

This hi rep chest day never gets easier. Completely spent every time between my 245x4x10 supersetted with heavy BB curls.

Probably just feeling good about yourself.

Edit - lol, I just read this on the subject:

Because testosterone levels are minimized in the presence of elevated insulin levels, the pre-workout meal should consist of lipids and protein - both of which have negligible impacts on insulin levels.

Research demonstrates that testosterone levels rise as a response to sexual stimuli. Therefore, an athlete could benefit pre-workout by being exposed pre-workout to sexual stimuli. The athlete could then exercise with increased testosterone levels and aggression.

Post-workout, the athlete should consume a protein drink with flax oil or olive oil. Lipids facilitate the passive permeation of the cell wall by sex hormones.

One hour post-exercise, the athlete should achieve ejaculation. This will increase the natural level of killer cells, thus increasing immune-system function and enhancing recovery abilities. The increase in killer cells will prevent over-training.

Oddly, I never noticed the increase in sex drive. Sex was better, mostly by virtue of being able to try some thing we weren't strong / fit enough to do before... but I didn't suddenly feel like it any more often.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, I just started Stonglifts 5x5 and I'm really enjoying it so far but for some of the exercises I'm not strong enough to use the bar. So I've been using dumbbells until I get up to the bar weight then I'll switch over. Will that impact my form or progress? thanks
Nah, you should be good to go. Definitely try to get to that barbell ASAP though.

I'm assuming it's overhead press?

All good. Just keep trying to nail the form, and switch to the barbell when you can. Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks if you're adding 5 pounds each time, since the bar is 45 pounds.

mkenyon

Banned
Probably just feeling good about yourself.

Edit - lol, I just read this on the subject:

Oddly, I never noticed the increase in sex drive. Sex was better, mostly by virtue of being able to try some thing we weren't strong / fit enough to do before... but I didn't suddenly feel like it any more often.
Can you link where you read this plz?

Cooter

Gym closed at 1 because of the holiday which meant morning people and afternoon people were mixed in. Some people's desire to be the "alpha" is downright pathetic.

sphinx

the piano man
Gym closed at 1 because of the holiday which meant morning people and afternoon people were mixed in. Some people's desire to be the "alpha" is downright pathetic.

what do they do? flex in front of the mirror or keep equipment for themselves?

in my case alphas throw weights around to make noise, and they go all "gentlemen, I am about to break a PR, pay attention and witness this historic event!",

Cooter

what do they do? flex in front of the mirror or keep equipment for themselves?

in my case alphas throw weights around to make noise, and they go all "gentlemen, I am about to break a PR, pay attention and witness this historic event!",
Conversations loud enough so the entire gym can hear. Conversations about how amazing they are mostly. Also the intentional arms puffed out to the side because, you know, their lats are way too huge for them to hang freely at their sides.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Conversations loud enough so the entire gym can hear. Conversations about how amazing they are mostly. Also the intentional arms puffed out to the side because, you know, their lats are way too huge for them to hang freely at their sides.

That's called ILS. Or imaginary (invisible) lat syndrome.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Finally broke through on squats with the belt. 3x5x240lbs. Gained 3 pounds over the weekend and it's worth it. Pretty good ratio actually.

Good thing, as I continue to struggle with DB bench. Learning the rebound while setting up is a challenge, but I think I'm figuring it out. Got the wrist wraps in, which felt good.

Guess I'll also give my weekly bulletin that good mornings are grueling. 4x10x100lbs accomplished.

Vanish

For those that have tried it, is fasted training worth it? And if so, how would it look like for someone who works 8:30am-4:30pm? Light lunch at 12ish, BCAA and creatine preworkout, workout at 5 and postworkout meal/dinner afterwards and fast till lunch the next day?

despire

For those that have tried it, is fasted training worth it? And if so, how would it look like for someone who works 8:30am-4:30pm? Light lunch at 12ish, BCAA and creatine preworkout, workout at 5 and postworkout meal/dinner afterwards and fast till lunch the next day?

Not sure. I don't think there really are any real benefits. I only do it because I work out early in the morning. What you suggest seems fine. Also I'm not sure if you can call that fasted training since you've eaten prior.

Ugh man, only 5 days off and I can barely do anything today. Doing the greasing the groove stuff on pullups and rep counts that should be easy feel like hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom