• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
3x5 @ 275lbs on Squats. 3 plate for reps could happen by the end of the year.

Feelsgoodman

congrats! if you don't mind me asking, at what weight/height/age?

I am coming back from a knee problem and I am nearing my last PR which was 248, I think your current PR could be my end of the year goal, considering my bad knee

Numb

Hey FitGAF.

Height: 6'
Weight: 176 lbs
Goal: 156 lbs
Current Training Schedule: None. Starting gym next week
Current Training Equipment Available: Same as above

Comments:
Trying to lose 20 by end of the year is all. No idea if this is hard or easy or even possible. Need opinion on that.
Looking at the starter stuff in OP and might do Strong Lifts 5x5. Eating less junk and all that too.

mdsfx

Hey FitGAF.

Comments:
Trying to lose 20 by end of the year is all. No idea if this is hard or easy or even possible. Need opinion on that.
Looking at the starter stuff in OP and might do Strong Lifts 5x5. Eating less junk and all that too.

Count calories. Sounds like a pain, but once you get an understanding of how many calories are in the foods you eat it becomes easy. DO IT.

Azulsky

congrats! if you don't mind me asking, at what weight/height/age?

I am coming back from a knee problem and I am nearing my last PR which was 248, I think your current PR could be my end of the year goal, considering my bad knee

Weight 230#, Height 6'5"

I guess it's less impressive given my size but I try.

I have arthritis in my right knee so I'm trying to progress slowly. Might start trying to add linearly again at 5lbs a week. Once my core feels like the weak link(long torso) I back off weight progression and work on adding reps.

Question GAF,

A couple of my family members are a bit over-weight. I recommended one family member to start lifting and cardio. After a month she complained that her knees hurt. Should overweight individuals avoid doing squats and/or deadlifts until they shed some weight first? I personally think it's bad form but I want some other opinions on this.

Thank you.

What cardio are they doing? If it's running then there's every chance it's that as the cause (cycling can do it too if you have a bad seating / body position).

If it's not, then as you said it's most likely to be form. I'd be very surprised if it was the deadlifts though.

What cardio are they doing? If it's running then there's every chance it's that as the cause (cycling can do it too if you have a bad seating / body position).

If it's not, then as you said it's most likely to be form. I'd be very surprised if it was the deadlifts though.

Thanks for the reply Psycho.

She is mostly gets on the elliptical. I did notice when she was showing me her squat form she couldn't bend to low so she doesn't have much flexibility then I just told her to just do goblet squats (dumbbell squats) until she feels more flexible. She ended up taking a few days off from working out but still stating that her knees still bother her.

Numb

Seeing as how i only wanted to slim down,should i be doing cardio instead of lifting or one more than the other?
Got a cheap ass bike here that i used rarely and some fat burning pills that are supposed to make me sweat or something. Don't know if its making any difference. Sure i am doing alot wrong.

Thanks for the reply Psycho.

She is mostly gets on the elliptical. I did notice when she was showing me her squat form she couldn't bend to low so she doesn't have much flexibility then I just told her to just do goblet squats (dumbbell squats) until she feels more flexible. She ended up taking a few days off from working out but still stating that her knees still bother her.

Probably best just to watch carefully for the sorts of things that cause knee issues in the squat then. Things like heel lifting, or knees collapsing inwards.

You mention flexibility though, so I'd say it's just as important to spend time on all of that rather than worrying too much about getting the old weights out. Hell, higher reps of bodyweight squats can be utterly brutal for people... same for lunges and step ups.

Edit - Oh, and weight free box squats are great for training the movement patterns too. Just need an appropriate size box!

Seeing as how i only wanted to slim down,should i be doing cardio instead of lifting or one more than the other?
Got a cheap ass bike here that i used rarely and some fat burning pills that are supposed to make me sweat or something. Don't know if its making any difference. Sure i am doing alot wrong.

It's all about diet... and don't take that fat burning bollocks.

That said, I've got slim whilst doing weights, and I've got slim whilst doing cardio... I looked SO MUCH better with weights. People tend to think that they'll look good just by losing fat... chances are they tend to just look wasted away.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been drinking a ton of whole white milk...all day...with every meal..and hitting the gym twice a week with a trainer.

Supposedly according to my bathroom scale I went from 136 2 weeks ago to 148 this morning..
I don't see it tho..

Look into intermittent fasting. I've done 8 on/16 off daily for the past year, with great results. Combine this with counting calories, eating healthier foods, and staying away from junk, and you'll do well.

Regarding fitness, if your goal is weight loss and not building strength, then cardio is probably the best way to achieve that.

Numb

Look into intermittent fasting. I've done 8 on/16 off daily for the past year, with great results. Combine this with counting calories, eating healthier foods, and staying away from junk, and you'll do well.

Regarding fitness, if your goal is weight loss and not building strength, then cardio is probably the best way to achieve that.

Did some weird diet awhile back and went from 202 to where i am now. But it seems like it was just stopping all the junk eating helped mostly since i did that alot. I should check into more cardio stuff to do aswell.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So I've been drinking a ton of whole white milk...all day...with every meal..and hitting the gym twice a week with a trainer.

Supposedly according to my bathroom scale I went from 136 2 weeks ago to 148 this morning..
I don't see it tho..
Wait.. Have I been missing the non white milk at my grocery store? What are the other colors?

Mugaaz

Hey FitGAF.

Comments:

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but you're 6foot 176 lbs and trying to *lose* 20? Why?

Numb

I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but you're 6foot 176 lbs and trying to *lose* 20? Why?
It's ok.
Used to be more but went down with just the diet and no excercising so i turned into a smaller version of what i already was. Feels like i didn't change whatsoever. Just less heavier. Also these dudes i know challenged me.

despire

Wait.. Have I been missing the non white milk at my grocery store? What are the other colors?

Dude haven't you heard? They sell brown milk nowadays. And it tastes just like chocolate which is cool.

I don't see the issue here. If he has fat then he has fat. He probably wants to lose it even though he will probably end up skinny in the process.

FYI, I'm 6'2" and about 159 lbs, but I've got some belly fat yet to lose. Ideally I want to be low body fat with a moderate amount of muscle on my frame. I'm still working on both issues.

Azulsky

Frame variation is greater for taller folks. Also not everyone is trying to get *big* in this thread, despite that being the most common desirable outcome.

Been doing op routine for about 6 weeks. I definitely feel stronger, but I've discovered that my left knee can no longer handle heavy squats, and I opt for the leg press instead. I hope this is the right way to go. Still having trouble getting rid of the belly fat, but am definitely losing inches around my waist.

BumRush

Dude haven't you heard? They sell brown milk nowadays. And it tastes just like chocolate which is cool.

To be fair to cooter...if you're drinking a gallon of chocolate milk a day, you usually specify that. Milk is milk, the "white" isn't needed lol.

mdsfx

Been doing op routine for about 6 weeks. I definitely feel stronger, but I've discovered that my left knee can no longer handle heavy squats, and I opt for the leg press instead. I hope this is the right way to go. Still having trouble getting rid of the belly fat, but am definitely losing inches around my waist.
That seems backwards to me. I thought legpress put MORE strain on knees than squats, but I guess that assumes you have good squat form.

BumRush

Any reason for the knee trouble? Existing injury?

Azulsky

Are you sure you arent letting your knees buckle inwards when you are coming out of the squat? That will cause knee flareups with me. I've just become super conscious of my form when squatting and keeping my knee in line with my toes is one of the big things.

You will have similar knee issues on the leg press if you aren't conscious of your form. Changing from squat to press takes core/lower back out of the equation, not knees.

BumRush

Are you sure you arent letting your knees buckle inwards when you are coming out of the squat? That will cause knee flareups with me. I've just become super conscious of my form when squatting and keeping my knee in line with my toes is one of the big things.

You will have similar knee issues on the leg press if you aren't conscious of your form.

That's what I was thinking as well

Cooter

Dude, we really are brothers. I was going to write the same thing.

Confirmed.

They also sell pink milk now that I think about it. My bad. To be fair, when I bought my son a happy meal yesterday the cashier didn't ask me if he wanted white milk or brown milk with it. ;)

mkenyon

Banned
So I went way down in weight on my squat to focus on form, slowly worked it back up. Hit a new PR last night, 3 sets of 5 @ 250. First day my legs and ass have been sore from the squat in a long ass time.

*edit*

Also, since yesterday was OHP and bent over row day, shoulder progress:

DnQlVOXl.jpg

BumRush

So I went way down in weight on my squat to focus on form, slowly worked it back up. Hit a new PR last night, 3 sets of 5 @ 250. First day my legs and ass have been sore from the squat in a long ass time.

I did the same a while back too and it really makes the world of difference.

Mugaaz

Again, I'm not trying to be inflammatory. If you're 6ft 176 and are still soft and fat, then getting to 156 is not a solution. It's not even diet choices, its going to be lifestyle changes and making strenuous physical activity something you engage in more frequently.. I get that not everyone wants to be big, but this isn't about that.

mkenyon

Banned
Again, I'm not trying to be inflammatory. If you're 6ft 176 and are still soft and fat, then getting to 156 is not a solution. It's not even diet choices, its going to be lifestyle changes and making strenuous physical activity something you engage in more frequently.. I get that not everyone wants to be big, but this isn't about that.
Eh... I'm not too sure about this. When I was 6' and about 180 at the height of my running/dieting, I was still pretty soft and fat. Legs were great, but upper body still had a decent pouch. I could see losing another 15 lbs with that body type easily.

But then I started lifting and eating lots of protein.

Cooter

Hitting chest and bis today using Fat Gripz. Pretty excited based on the few curls I did with them last night to test them out. I may have to purchase a couple.

Kureransu

Frame variation is greater for taller folks. Also not everyone is trying to get *big* in this thread, despite that being the most common desirable outcome.

I think he's trying to say there is lack in muscle mass. I know smaller frame individuals can be in the 150s, but they are tiny. 6' + and 150-something on a male generally is super shredded. if you're still soft and flabby (when you get to the 150s), you're lacking serious muscle mass. otherwise you'll have to drop into the 140s, which is underweight.

mkenyon

Banned
So no slimming down with cardio?. Confused now. I do intend to lift too tho.
They're saying that when you have a specific goal of dropping weight like that through diet and cardio, you're going to not only be losing fat, but also muscle.

There's a lot of focus on building muscle in this thread, so the idea of dropping 20 lbs from an already good weight is contrary to what most people here would be doing. The counter suggestion, would be then to focus on losing just body fat, rather than weight, as this allows you to build muscle during the process.

The two most popular ways to go about this would be

1) (Diet) Intermittent Fasting (Exercise) Weightlifting Regimen w/ Cardio

2) (Diet) Calorie Deficit while still hitting Carb/Protein/Fat Macros (Exercise) Weightlifting Regimen w/ Cardio.

So no slimming down with cardio?. Confused now. I do intend to lift too tho.

It's really not confusing. Cardio will basically enable you to eat more than you otherwise would have for the same TIME effort. Example. Lets say your daily needs before exercise are 2,000kcal.

1hr of cardio: 500kcal. You could now theoretically eat 2,500kcal without gaining weight.

1hr of weights: 250kcal. You could now theoretically eat 2,250kcal without gaining weight.

These are just example numbers... the reality is based on what you're actually doing. However, if you want any sort of decent shape, you're not going to get it without doing weights unless you're already carrying a significant quantity of muscle. But you're not, because if you were you'd already know.

In reality, your best bet is likely a bit of both, especially by using HIIT for your cardio.

Numb

Lifting and dieting while doing cardio on the side as to drop the fat but not muscle. Little bit of alot.Ok.
Didn't realize my weight was thought of as light.

mkenyon

Banned
Lifting and dieting while doing cardio on the side as to drop the fat but not muscle. Little bit of alot.Ok.
Didn't realize my weight was thought of as light.
It's just in the normal range for BMI. But for a person who is after fitness and muscle mass, it's just about right.

If you're not after that, then ignore us meatheads :p

Cagey

Banned
I'm in the "I feel like I'm getting so small and shriveled and the scale's not dropping like it once was" phase of cutting again. I hate this part, but I resolved to not throw in the towel this time. From 204 and a guess of 15% bodyfat to 194, set the goal of 182-185 as a number where I should look "shredded" (read: some abs maybe). Need to keep going this time.

Hitting chest and bis today using Fat Gripz. Pretty excited based on the few curls I did with them last night to test them out. I may have to purchase a couple.

I bought my FatGripz two years ago and I don't give them the love they deserve. The emphasis on grip and forearm can detract from what you feel you're getting out of the exercise otherwise, and that can get discouraging. That plus I didn't get shoulder soreness alleviation from them on bench press like I had hoped. I should still be using them more than I do though, and next week I'm going to whip them out on the bench again to see if anything's changed.

FatGripz hammer curls are legitimate. Lights your forearm and bicep on fire.

EDIT: Wife took a picture of my back the other week at the gym. As Dom said, the back isn't the front. I can't see it and don't even know if its there.

RKlWzXv.jpg

I wish I had 1/4th that sort of definition going on in the front.

BumRush

I bought a pair of the blue ones a couple of months ago. I am obsessed with them.

Not for now but ofcourse i'm interested in being huge later. Gotta see if i can handle the simple stuff first.

Sure. Just keep in mind that a 6' guy at 156 lean lbs is the kind of body that does not lift weights.

Lifting weights is good, it will build up your muscle mass which will raise your base metabolic rate and make it easier to lose fat lbs. But you will not see 156 on the scale. In fact you will weigh more than you do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom