• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Piss poor genetics right there.

Agreed.

You and I are about dead on for squats. I go for 5 @ 325 next week. You'll get it the next go around.

I hope so. Not too concerned.

No kidding. I took a 4 year break from squats and got 5x320 for 5 sets my first time back. Then I deadlifted 550 for reps because I wasn't tired.

About what I expect from a genetic beast. Shows how bad my genetics truly are.

mdsfx

I'm approaching 21 hours of my fast and I'm ready to eat like crazy, but here's my problem:

I left work late as hell and I'm stuck in a car for at least another hour and the only thing I have available is a protein shake and a quest bar. at this point does it matter that I just have a little snack before my big meal? Or can I just go for it and enjoy what I have on this terrible commute home?

I may or may not care what the answer is.

Baby on Starting Strength

tumblr_n8q4dmi76E1swpwbko1_540.jpg

UrAvgGuy

Yeeessssss!!!!

(Already ate the quest bar)

I'm approaching 21 hours of my fast and I'm ready to eat like crazy, but here's my problem:

I left work late as hell and I'm stuck in a car for at least another hour and the only thing I have available is a protein shake and a quest bar. at this point does it matter that I just have a little snack before my big meal? Or can I just go for it and enjoy what I have on this terrible commute home?

I may or may not care what the answer is.

Sounds like you almost had the exact same day as me, was going on something like 24hr today. I said fuck it, had my shake and protein bar while in the car. Just got home and ate my meal, so full now.

Leeness

You lost 15 lbs. in 4 weeks?

Yep! I'm guessing the first 5-10 were water and cleansing of whatever.

How'd you do it? In the past you said you couldn't lose weight eating 1000 calories a day?

Yeeep... Lol. I'm on a ~clinically monitored~ diet right now, and then I will go on maintenance afterwards, and most likely will be staying at 1000 cals/day to maintain. But really just watching way more what I eat. I'm weighing every single thing that goes into my mouth right now and have set amounts of things I can eat (2 proteins a day, 2 laaaarge portions of veggies, etc.).

Last pic I saw you definitely didn't have 15lbs to lose, let alone another 20lbs on top.

Did you put on a massive amount of weight or something?

I definitely did :p I was up to 169 and my goal is 135. I'm at 153.8 right now! :) I'm hoping I can be at 135 by mid-July.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep! I'm guessing the first 5-10 were water and clensing of whatever.

Yeeep... Lol. I'm on a ~clinically monitored~ diet right now, and then I will go on maintenance afterwards, and most likely will be staying at 1000 cals/day to maintain. But really just watching way more what I eat.

I definitely did :p I was up to 169 and my goal is 135. I'm at 153.8 right now! :) I'm hoping I can be at 135 by mid-July.
There is no beach body in the world that could make me do this. But, perspective, right? I'm 6' 200lbs :p

You can recover your metabolism over time. But first it sounds like you need to get yourself healthy, that's the most important thing.

Leeness

You can recover your metabolism over time. But first it sounds like you need to get yourself healthy, that's the most important thing.

Yep! Drop the weight and then work on building the metabolism up well enough that I won't gain on 1000. That's the goal!

Very short answer, you put on weight (ideally muscle) in a controlled manner.

Longer answer involves nutrient timing, potentially using fasting periods, eating foods with a high thermic effect, strength training, sleeping a particular amount at a particular time, medication and any number of other methods.

Leeness

Very short answer, you put on weight (ideally muscle) in a controlled manner.

Longer answer involves nutrient timing, potentially using fasting periods, eating foods with a high thermic effect, strength training, sleeping a particular amount at a particular time, medication and any number of other methods.

Woohoo! Lol.

Dat maintenance.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Another strict day translates into a drop in weight. 184.4

Still hitting my light bench numbers of 245x4x10 too so that pleases me.

Snapped this for Sphinx. First time I've worn it and I love it. Thanks again man!

Leeness

Did some squats and taped them, but already saw things I want to correct haha. I will correct them and then let you guys fix everything.

I tried power cleans today for the first time...I think I'm getting the motion? It felt really stupid at first but then I added a little bit of weight to the bar (like 6lbs) and the jumping section made a bit more sense. I'm going to watch some videos though to get a better sense of it.

Cooter

That's awesome Leeness. I can already tell you have a much more positive and healthy attitude. Go get it girl!

_dazed

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'd like to know if I should use one of the beginner programs or modify them somehow.

Some background, I've been boxing recreationally for about a year and my stamina is now good enough but my strength is lacking so I've been thinking of starting to add weightlifting to my regimen. Currently I box Monday to Thursday with a couple 3 mile runs during the week. My diet is nothing special but i cook most of my meals so its reasonably healthy. I'd like to keep boxing 4 days a week but I'm willing to drop a bit for the better good as it were.

ILoveBish

Results from my grandma's doctor came up with full dementia. Got me in a mood that I ended up eating some crappy food and now feel even worse. This whole day has been a mess so far tho.

Hopefully things start from a clean slate tomorrow. I expect the scale to be vicious to me in the morning. Mentally prepping for it.

Leeness

That's awesome Leeness. I can already tell you have a much more positive and healthy attitude. Go get it girl!

I'm actually getting somewhere right now with losing weight so I'm not feeling like I'm spinning my wheels right now. :)

Also, I know I annoyed you guys a lot so I want to be less of a pain in the ass lol.

Hopefully on Wednesday I will have a squat video that you guys can check! :)

Results from my grandma's doctor came up with full dementia. Got me in a mood that I ended up eating some crappy food and now feel even worse. This whole day has been a mess so far tho.

I'm sorry to hear about your granny :(

Cooter

Hopefully things start from a clean slate tomorrow. I expect the scale to be vicious to me in the morning. Mentally prepping for it.
The old cliche of it being a marathon and not a sprint is especially true with weight loss and muscle gain. Sorry about your grandma big guy. Hang in there.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Snapped this for Sphinx. First time I've worn it and I love it. Thanks again man!

Nice shirt and looking solid, like a 30 year old!

My first time benching in...I don't even know, almost a year? Only went up to 100DBsx10 on incline and 225 2x8 cgbp after. It was light so my shoulders feel fine right now.

BumRush

Sorry about your grandma, ILB. Get back on the horse tomorrow man. Cheat days are fine, especially when you do them 1/100 days.

Cooper

That's tough news about your grandmother; sorry you're going through this. I know the scale has probably dropped on your list of concerns, but I'm sure you'll be back on track whenever you're ready to focus on it again.

Cooter

Nice shirt and looking solid, like a 30 year old!

My first time benching in...I don't even know, almost a year? Only went up to 100DBsx10 on incline and 225 2x8 cgbp after. It was light so my shoulders feel fine right now.
I'll take that compliment with a smile. Thanks.

Sounds like you when you take off many months and throw up 100s for ten. Nice.

Wouldn't be a Fitgaf thread without a crooked MTP pic! Love it. And the traps never disappoint.

____

Can't believe I'm about to say this but I think mint chocolate chunk leap frogged cookies and cream as my number one. It's delicious!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My brother told me today two things that I don't know if they're true or not:

-Running more than four hours a week is bad for your health because it stresses out your body.

-Doing only one type of exercise is counterproductive.

I run 5 1/2 miles a day, for an hour each time, six days a week. How much truth is there to his statements?

3phemeral

My brother told me today two things that I don't know if they're true or not:

-Running more than four hours a week is bad for your health because it stresses out your body.

-Doing only one type of exercise is counterproductive.

I run 5 1/2 miles a day, for an hour each time, six days a week. How much truth is there to his statements?

Here's what I've been able to find with what is usually considered the most up-to-date, comprehensive research on what you're asking:

Intensity and frequency — Several large cohort studies have found that increasing exercise intensity is associated with a reduction in cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality (see 'Benefits of exercise' above) [31,33,85]. Most guidelines recommend moderate to vigorous exercise intensity at least a few times per week [2,86]. However, the intensity and frequency of an exercise prescription varies based on a given individual.

One of the most important parameters of exercise is total aerobic activity. A key finding of the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, based on a systematic review of the evidence, was that 500 to 1000 MET-minutes per week was the necessary amount of physical activity to produce substantial health benefits, including a substantial reduction in the risk of premature death and breast cancer (figure 3) [2]. As the term METs (metabolic equivalents) is not readily understandable by many patients, these guidelines recommend the equivalent in minutes of moderate and/or vigorous exercise per week. As an example, 150 minutes of walking (3.3 METs) per week is equal to 500 MET-minutes per week and meets the weekly recommendations for exercise in most individuals.

Higher intensity activity may lead to additional gains in aerobic fitness. As an example, high-intensity interval walking (repeated alternating three minute sets of high and low intensity walking), compared to moderate-intensity continuous walking, resulted in greater improvements in blood pressure and muscle strength in one study [87]. Another popular form of exercise is high-intensity interval training, which involves repeated, brief sessions of high-intensity exercise over short periods of time. Although there is no standard regimen, one program for high-intensity interval training includes 30 seconds of “all-out” effort cycling or running repeated four to six times and separated by four minutes of recovery for a total of two to three minutes of intense training weekly for several weeks [88]. High-intensity interval training is found to have several short-term physiologic benefits, including improved cardiorespiratory fitness [89]. However, the long-term health effects of high-intensity interval training are not known. The potential for greater compliance and duration of exercise with moderate activity and increased injury with high intensity exercise should be factored in to determining an appropriate exercise prescription.

It's an excerpt from this study. I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's the only evidence-based article I could think of.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, I had my first beginner's workout in years tonight at around 1am. lol Midnight launches for shitty games (ESO) sucks.

It felt great! Using the beginners workout in the OP and while I was kind of feeling my way through it in terms of weights/reps and where I came out for 5-6 reps. Squats felt great. Bench was fairly good (was always my weakness, I want to fix this in the future), deadlifts felt amazing! 115 for deadlift set tonight.

All I could think about was "Just wait. Day by day. Week by week. I will own this!"

Now I sleep for work tomorrow. =D

Nelo Ice

Banned
So changed some of accessories on 5/3/1 this week after reading through this thread and wow I really should try some new exercises more often. Did face pulls tonight after someone mentioned them earlier and they felt great after my OHP sets. Also did good mornings last week after squatting and I could really feel them working my hamstrings.

Normally did stiff leg deadlifts since I had no idea what else to do but could never tell if I was doing them right since I didn't really feel them in my hammys lol.

despire

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'd like to know if I should use one of the beginner programs or modify them somehow.

Some background, I've been boxing recreationally for about a year and my stamina is now good enough but my strength is lacking so I've been thinking of starting to add weightlifting to my regimen. Currently I box Monday to Thursday with a couple 3 mile runs during the week. My diet is nothing special but i cook most of my meals so its reasonably healthy. I'd like to keep boxing 4 days a week but I'm willing to drop a bit for the better good as it were.

Some thing has to give if you want to keep boxing. Starting Strength etc. plus 3-4 days of boxing is probably too much but it depends how you organize it I guess.

I'd recommend checking out the Westside for Skinny Bastards program, which is meant to be used alonside your normal sport training.

sphinx

the piano man

Awesome man, seems to fit perfectly. looks great on you. :D

#TeamZeldaFitness

did anyone ask you or say anything to you during workout? I already got 2 guys coming and saying "cool shirt bro, zelda rules, etc."

(those new to the thread wondering why cooter snapped that for me: I bought the shirt, showed it here, cooter liked it, I gave him the link to the online shop and bought one)

_dazed

Some thing has to give if you want to keep boxing. Starting Strength etc. plus 3-4 days of boxing is probably too much but it depends how you organize it I guess.

I'd recommend checking out the Westside for Skinny Bastards program, which is meant to be used alonside your normal sport training.

thanks!

#TeamZeldaFitness

did anyone ask you or say anything to you during workout? I already got 2 guys coming and saying "cool shirt bro, zelda rules, etc."

(those new to the thread wondering why cooter snapped that for me: I bought the shirt, showed it here, cooter liked it, I gave him the link to the online shop and bought one)

Aw man, that is a fresh tank. Which online store did you find it at?

Cooter

#TeamZeldaFitness

I got a few comments. Right when I walked in the guy at the front desk said something and then when I went to the grocery store after a guy said, "great shirt!" He then proceeded to show me his triforce tattoo on his calve. Ha

Cooter

Friends, even during this cut, I've gotten comments from random people regarding my size.

We are all gonna make it.
You know that's how it goes. I'm down 35 and people swear I'm bigger. Nothing I tell them convinces them otherwise.

BumRush

Coot / FE. Although you guys are losing fat you're still both lifting heavy so your physique pops even more. I guess part of it is eye trickery but you probably haven't lost much mass in your "beach muscles" (biceps, chest, etc)

It's annoying, I've had so much time off because of this injury that I look like one of those guys who always skips leg day. Legs have withered to nothing. :(

I mostly lurk here but I really appreciate the posts here it def helps me keep going.

Yesterday I started my deload week and oh boy I really feel it today. There were times I wanted to stop early but kept at it. Feels good.

Hi Fit Gaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom