• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I mostly lurk here but I really appreciate the posts here it def helps me keep going.

Yesterday I started my deload week and oh boy I really feel it today. There were times I wanted to stop early but kept at it. Feels good.

Hi Fit Gaf!
Welcome. Less lurking and more posting. The more the merrier!

Isn't a deload week meant to decrease the strain of a typical heavy week? Why was it so difficult?

BumRush

I actually sort of do the same, to be honest. I use deload week as "less weight but 12-15 reps per set" which ends up burning me out (more cardiovascular than anything)

Quick question FitGaf.

I've been exercising for a while now, and making some nice progress, but I want to maintain a more dancer body rather than a bulky one (though I do need more strength).

Essentially, I want to focus on bodyweight exercises. Any helpful tips on that or programs I can work with? And should I do them in conjunction to weightlifting? If so, what should I prioritize more if I'm focusing on strength, flexibility, and agility?

Oh, and any recommendations for core exercises? I really want to improve on that end.

Szu

Quick question FitGaf.

I've been exercising for a while now, and making some nice progress, but I want to maintain a more dancer body rather than a bulky one (though I do need more strength).

Essentially, I want to focus on bodyweight exercises. Any helpful tips on that or programs I can work with? And should I do them in conjunction to weightlifting? If so, what should I prioritize more if I'm focusing on strength, flexibility, and agility?

Oh, and any recommendations for core exercises? I really want to improve on that end.

I know there are plenty of good BW workout videos online.

Here's one of my favorites.

http://youtu.be/POdzasJklxw

You can definitely do these in conjunction with weights. However, choose a program designed for endurance (compound routines with lower weight, higher volume) instead of strength or hypertrophy.

Welcome. Less lurking and more posting. The more the merrier!

Isn't a deload week meant to decrease the strain of a typical heavy week? Why was it so difficult?

Yeah but I did a ridiculous amount of reps for hypertrophy.

Front Squats:
1x12 Bar only (warm up)
5x12 135
5x10 115 and I super set it with plate raises 3x12 35lb plate
5x8 95

Leg Press:
3x15 210
2x10 190

Goblet Squats:
5x10 30lb dumbbell

My legs are sore but I love it. Don't let that fool you lol

I actually sort of do the same, to be honest. I use deload week as "less weight but 12-15 reps per set" which ends up burning me out (more cardiovascular than anything)

Pretty much.

Cooter

Yeah but I did a ridiculous amount of reps for hypertrophy.

Front Squats:
1x12 Bar only (warm up)
5x12 135
5x10 115 and I super set it with plate raises 3x12 35lb plate
5x8 95

Leg Press:
3x15 210
2x10 190

Goblet Squats:
5x10 30lb dumbbell

My legs are sore but I love it. Don't let that fool you lol
Gotcha. Oh wow. That's too much for an old man like me but you have fun with that!

mdsfx

Balancing running with lifting is proving difficult. I feel a little defeated since both are suffering, but im not giving up either.

There has to be a way to do this without overworking my legs...

I know there are plenty of good BW workout videos online.

Here's one of my favorites.

http://youtu.be/POdzasJklxw

You can definitely do these in conjunction with weights. However, choose a program designed for endurance (compound routines with lower weight, higher volume) instead of strength or hypertrophy.

Ah ok, I'll do that. Thanks!

Last question. Leg exercises. My knees aren't the most trust worthy, mostly because I walk and run a lot. Is there a way to do strength or agility building exercises without doing too much damage?

EDIT: LOL! I guess my question is a bit redundant with mdsfx's!

Azulsky

Quick question FitGaf.

Reddit has a /r/bodyweightfitness sub that has recommended routines.

3phemeral

Balancing running with lifting is proving difficult. I feel a little defeated since both are suffering, but im not giving up either.

Yeah, same boat. Trying to lose weight while also not losing any muscle gains. I'm not nearly as ripped as you so you can imagine my sensitivity in losing what I do have. I've resorted to both doing HITT and upping the speed I complete reps while maintaining form. It seems to have a nice cardio effect that I hope helps burn some fat while telling my body, "Hey, I still need these!"

Which reminds me: If you're cutting, is it still a good idea to be taking casein protein before bed? Or should I be using that time to allow my body to slowly eat into itself?

Ventara

So guys, I was tired and busy last night and missed out on eating 1600 calories. Just to make sure, I'm not supposed to make up for that today, right? I should just continue with keeping daily calorie quota?

BumRush

This happening ever since you (inexplicably) started fasting?

BumRush

So guys, I was tired and busy last night and missed out on eating 1600 calories. Just to make sure, I'm not supposed to make up for that today, right? I should just continue with keeping daily calorie quota?

Sometimes I think you're trolling us with these questions! :)

Just get back on the 1,600 train today and you'll be fine. Don't over- or under-eat to compensate for yesterday...it's in the past, leave it there.

mvtn

Hello. Remember me?

I've started walking about 3 miles/day and changed my diet, started drinking just (sometimes mineral) water and stopped eating candy. I feel a lot better and hope I won't fail this time halfway through. Also, I've been running a bit, but my allergies impact was way too high, sadly.

Ventara

Sometimes I think you're trolling us with these questions! :)

Just get back on the 1,600 train today and you'll be fine. Don't over- or under-eat to compensate for yesterday...it's in the past, leave it there.

I figured that was the case. I was just tired and kind of in a bad mood yesterday, and before I knew it, I just drifted off to sleep while lying down.

I definitely appreciate all the answers and help you guys are giving me, even if my questions are pretty stupid. I'm definitely not trolling anyone. You guys are awesome and I wouldn't do that.

mdsfx

This happening ever since you (inexplicably) started fasting?
No, I've been working through an injury that I think was the result of overtraining legs. I mean that in the sense that I wasn't conditioned for it.

Also, im just trying the fasting thing because it allows me to each larger, more satisfying meals. Had A 1700 calorie dinner last night. That was pushing it a bit to far for me, but a 16-hour fast followed by two 1000 calorie meals seems to be perfect.

Yeah if it happens, it happens. Don't worry about it.

Biggest thing I can take away from this lifestyle is to enjoy it. This is a hobby for most of us. You aren't going to be perfect, things will happen. Just smile and focus on the next day.

yah baybay!

ILoveBish

Thanks everyone. I still haven't slept, been up 27 hours or so. Might still hit the gym for bench, dunno. I'm finally feeling a little tired now at work but still pretty much wide awake.

mdsfx

Thanks everyone. I still haven't slept, been up 27 hours or so. Might still hit the gym for bench, dunno. I'm finally feeling a little tired now at work but still pretty much wide awake.
27?! I'm no doctor and claim to know jack sh*t, but you might be better off sleeping to save your workout for tomorrow. I mean, how can you even lift like that??

BumRush

No, I've been working through an injury that I think was the result of overtraining legs. I mean that in the sense that I wasn't conditioned for it.

Also, im just trying the fasting thing because it allows me to each larger, more satisfying meals. Had A 1700 calorie dinner last night. That was pushing it a bit to far for me, but a 16-hour fast followed by two 1000 calorie meals seems to be perfect.

How is the fasting going anyway, bud? You getting into a groove?

Also, re: the other post, I'm just giving zintara general advice to not sweat the small stuff. You can't perfectly hit 1600 calories a day, so do your best and get it right the next day.

BumRush

Go to bed bubba. You might not feel tired but I'm sure your body is. You risk hurting yourself.

mdsfx

How is the fasting going anyway, bud? You getting into a groove?

Also, re: the other post, I'm just giving zintara general advice to not sweat the small stuff. You can't perfectly hit 1600 calories a day, so do your best and get it right the next day.
So far so good. I still feel strange being hungry because I always thought that was a bad thing (eating every 2-3 hours, etc). You get used to it and the hunger bothers you less. Coffee and water are my two best buds.

Also, got it. Just curious. I didn't know if some people would eat to make up for it. I remember Szu telling me not to starve myself after a horrid, unplanned cheat day. I did anyway out of guilt lol.

Soriku

I'm planning on joining a gym and want to use StrongLift 5x5. I'm 5'6" at 132 lbs. My lifting experience is minimal. At my school's I've only been lifting (and running) like once a week lol. Better than nothing though.

Anyway I'm not the strongest guy, so I was looking to get feedback about the starting weights. Squats and bench press are 45 lbs and I should be able to do that (with a little trouble is likely though). But then rows are 65 lbs, and deadlifts are 95 lbs? These are just starting weights, but I don't know if I'm really capable of doing that. Especially deadlifts, even if it's 1 rep for 5 sets. So what do you guys recommend?

As for diet, I think this would be my biggest problem. I actually eat fast food frequently, but I don't gain any weight. Maybe for 2 days I'll look lumpier than usual, but that goes away. I actually don't think I eat enough food a lot of the time. On average I only eat like 2 meals a day. Maybe some snacks here and there (chips, a little bit of candy - I don't eat too many sweets, edit: yogurt). I can attempt to eat more than usual, but I don't cook (I live at home and my parents do). I'm big on chicken on pasta, not so much on veggies. But as long as I take more calories than usual, can I make some decent gains if I keep going 3 days a week?

Also, how do you feel about running? I don't run much as I've stated. I really like doing it to stretch out my back/leg muscles. I don't know how much of a detriment it is if my diet isn't the best.

Cooter

So far so good. I still feel strange being hungry because I always thought that was a bad thing (eating every 2-3 hours, etc). You get used to it and the hunger bothers you less. Coffee and water are my two best buds.

Also, got it. Just curious. I didn't know if some people would eat to make up for it. I remember Szu telling me not to starve myself after a horrid, unplanned cheat day. I did anyway out of guilt lol.
I personally feel that it's a good thing to feel hungry. I'm pretty sure for most of humans existence we wandered this globe hungry quite frequently.

I'm planning on joining a gym and want to use StrongLift 5x5. I'm 5'6" at 132 lbs. My lifting experience is minimal. At my school's I've only been lifting (and running) like once a week lol. Better than nothing though.

Anyway I'm not the strongest guy, so I was looking to get feedback about the starting weights. Squats and bench press are 45 lbs and I should be able to do that (with a little trouble is likely though). But then rows are 65 lbs, and deadlifts are 95 lbs? These are just starting weights, but I don't know if I'm really capable of doing that. Especially deadlifts, even if it's 1 rep for 5 sets. So what do you guys recommend?

As for diet, I think this would be my biggest problem. I actually eat fast food frequently, but I don't gain any weight. Maybe for 2 days I'll look lumpier than usual, but that goes away. I actually don't think I eat enough food a lot of the time. On average I only eat like 2 meals a day. Maybe some snacks here and there (chips, a little bit of candy - I don't eat too many sweets). I can attempt to eat more than usual, but I don't cook (I live at home and my parents do). I'm big on chicken on pasta, not so much on veggies. But as long as I take more calories than usual, can I make some decent gains if I keep going 3 days a week?

Also, how do you feel about running? I don't run much as I've stated. I really like doing it to stretch out my back/leg muscles. I don't know how much of a detriment it is if my diet isn't the best.

The best tip I can give you is to learn the form first before lifting anything heavy. Learn form with just the bar then progressively start adding weight as you feel more confident with your form. You don't have to copy what's in the OP or what you read online. Customize the workouts to your body. Also, don't let ego get in the way and end up getting yourself injured...like I did. LOL :)

mdsfx

The best tip I can give you is to learn the form first before lifting anything heavy. Learn form with just the bar then progressively start adding weight as you feel more confident with your form. Don't let ego get in the way and end up getting yourself injured.
That made such a huge difference for me. Follow this advice! You will feel much more confident in your form as you progress to heavier weight.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

As for diet, I think this would be my biggest problem. I actually eat fast food frequently, but I don't gain any weight. Maybe for 2 days I'll look lumpier than usual, but that goes away. I actually don't think I eat enough food a lot of the time. On average I only eat like 2 meals a day. Maybe some snacks here and there (chips, a little bit of candy - I don't eat too many sweets). I can attempt to eat more than usual, but I don't cook (I live at home and my parents do). I'm big on chicken on pasta, not so much on veggies. But as long as I take more calories than usual, can I make some decent gains if I keep going 3 days a week?

First off, before anything you need to learn the exercises proper form. This guy has great videos on all the major lifts that really helped me out. I kept fucking up when I first started because I was ego lifting and getting pulls and strains, don't let your ego get in the way. Everyone starts somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=p

You are the same height and weight I was when I started at the beginning of the year. Just start where the program tells you (download the app on your phone it helps a lot.) I was scared of deadlifts when i started too but quickly realized that I could lift much more weight than what the program starts you off with. If you find that you still can't lift the weight look for a gym with those big rubber bumper plates and you should be able to go with lower weights that keep the bar high enough for a deadlift.

You need to cut the fast food, sugar, soda, and candy. Your body will thank you for it. You just simply can't outrun or outlift a bad diet, learning to cook will save you a great deal of trouble. Making fried fish and rice is braindead easy and takes ~15 minutes. You need to hit calorie and protein goals daily to see noticeable progress. I forgot who said it here but it holds true "muscles are made in the kitchen." 3 days a week is what I do and it works out just fine. Lift MWF rest every other day.

What do you hope to get out of running? Personally, I dislike it and would rather do some jump rope or cycling for cardio. I really do a light run before a workout to get my blood flowing. You can use a foam roller and static stretches for your muscles as well.

These are good resources too:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2501op/new_to_fittit_we_saw_you_coming_and_have/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/index

Along with the OP.

Soriku

First off, before anything you need to learn the exercises proper form. This guy has great videos on all the major lifts that really helped me out. I kept fucking up when I first started because I was ego lifting and getting pulls and strains, don't let your ego get in the way. Everyone starts somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=p

You are the same height and weight I was when I started at the beginning of the year. Just start where the program tells you (download the app on your phone it helps a lot.) I was scared of deadlifts when i started too but quickly realized that I could lift much more weight than what the program starts you off with. If you find that you still can't lift the weight look for a gym with those big rubber bumper plates and you should be able to go with lower weights that keep the bar high enough for a deadlift.

You need to cut the fast food, sugar, soda, and candy. Your body will thank you for it. You just simply can't outrun or outlift a bad diet, learning to cook will save you a great deal of trouble. Making fried fish and rice is braindead easy and takes ~15 minutes. You need to hit calorie and protein goals daily to see noticeable progress. I forgot who said it here but it holds true "muscles are made in the kitchen." 3 days a week is what I do and it works out just fine. Lift MWF rest every other day.

What do you hope to get out of running? Personally, I dislike it and would rather do some jump rope or cycling for cardio. I really do a light run before a workout to get my blood flowing. You can use a foam roller and static stretches for your muscles as well.

I'll take a look at the videos, thanks. MWF was my plan. I don't like seafood, so is chicken, eggs, nuts, yogurt a good substitute? I have a friend where I work who's an older guy and who doesn't like seafood either, but he's pretty muscular.

Are some kinds of fast food more acceptable than others? Say chicken nuggets + fries from Wendy's (I noticed their fries aren't oily) or pizza? Unfortunately I really don't think I can cut out fast food completely.

I like soda but don't drink it too much. Maybe a day or two in the week I'll have some. I mainly drink juice and I drink some water. I can definitely up my water intake. Candy I can live without, and I don't care much about cakes and donuts and other such sweets. So I'll be fine there. Just fast food is too convenient >_<

As for running, I browse and play video games a lot. So I'm sitting often. Running is just a really good way for me to stretch out my muscles. It just helps me feel good and actually more energized than usual. If I look lumpier, it helps me go back to more normal levels after just one run. But that's all.

SeanR1221

Another strict day translates into a drop in weight. 184.4

Still hitting my light bench numbers of 245x4x10 too so that pleases me.

Snapped this for Sphinx. First time I've worn it and I love it. Thanks again man!

Nice shirt and looking solid, like a 30 year old!

My first time benching in...I don't even know, almost a year? Only went up to 100DBsx10 on incline and 225 2x8 cgbp after. It was light so my shoulders feel fine right now.

Damn, both of you guys looking awesome.

I'll take a look at the videos, thanks. MWF was my plan. I don't like seafood, so is chicken, eggs, nuts, yogurt a good substitute? I have a friend where I work who's an older guy and who doesn't like seafood either, but he's pretty muscular.

Are some kinds of fast food more acceptable than others? ]Say chicken nuggets + fries from Wendy's (I noticed their fries aren't oily) or pizza? Unfortunately I really don't think I can cut out fast food completely.

I mainly eat chicken and lean ground turkey as my main sources of protein so yes that is fine.

I personally go to Chipotle like 1-2 a month but ONLY if it fits my macros and really have no other options. Mainly because I can pick what I want in terms of protein, carbs and veggies.

eating out and staying on point with your diet is possible!

seared ahi tuna rice bowl

JPXONma.jpg

How are you training? Specifically, when are you doing what.

Also, you might find these interesting:

http://www.completehumanperformance...ce-training-for-strength-athletes-part-1.html

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/a-guide-to-strength-training-for-endurance-athletes.html

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Articl...in_For_Strength_Endurance_At_The_Same_Ti.aspx

This is the guy behind Complete Human Performance btw (Alex Viada)...

Alex.jpg

He has some fantastic lifting numbers, and some fantastic triathlon numbers too.
He also looks ridiculous on a road bike.

BumRush

That made such a huge difference for me. Follow this advice! You will feel much more confident in your form as you progress to heavier weight.

Agreed. Before I really started spending a lot of time in here, I was a "look how much weight I can put up" guy, but my form was shit. Once I started paying attention to form my gains went through the roof.

FE, that looks delicious.

mdsfx

http://www.completehumanperformance...ce-training-for-strength-athletes-part-1.html

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/a-guide-to-strength-training-for-endurance-athletes.html

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Articl...in_For_Strength_Endurance_At_The_Same_Ti.aspx

http://www.ericcressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Alex.jpg[iMG]

He has some fantastic lifting numbers, and some fantastic triathlon numbers too. [spoiler]He also looks ridiculous on a road bike.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Oh man, this is golden. Thank you!

sphinx

the piano man
I am doing very well ^_^

for the first time I am going to stick to a nutrition plan that should change my results.

Not sure how or why but the dad bod thing and well.. some recent pics of me have made me think things through and I am going to shed some fat. I am tired of looking well only if a list of conditions are met (light, shirt, day, etc), I am deluding myself, I have a dad bod with a residual fat on my waist. that, I can't allow.

Summer and cardio are really helping too. I started some days ago with careful calorie restriction and I have made up my mind about ditching pastries and plenty of shit I had been eating.

not sure if it's a wishful thinking but today after a benching and doing some accessory work my upper body seemed different, had another build, other form, that's motivating.

that being said, PR BROKEN, 75 kgs (165 lbs) for 3x6 reps on Bench,, I was sure my arms were going to fail due to eating less but that went pretty well. I will stay there to work on my form, I didn't feel as comfortable unracking but it was good for a first try.

I am truly excited to lift 80 kgs (189 lbs), put two 15 kg plates (33 lbs) on each side. that's not very far. It would be fantastic for me.

man, be careful, lack of sleep is terribad for lifting. take it easy if you decide(d) to go

Aw man, that is a fresh tank. Which online store did you find it at?

look here for a variety of Zelda Items.

https://www.etsy.com/market/zelda_tank

Alex.jpg

He has some fantastic lifting numbers, and some fantastic triathlon numbers too.
He also looks ridiculous on a road bike.

mirin hard

Agreed. Before I really started spending a lot of time in here, I was a "look how much weight I can put up" guy, but my form was shit. Once I started paying attention to form my gains went through the roof.

FE, that looks delicious.

It was. I want some more lol.

I have an opinion question on cutting. I've never really tried getting down to particularly low body fats so this is new to me.

I'm starting to stall a bit on my lifts after about a month or so on a cut. I assume this is generally considered acceptable, but if I start going backwards I should maybe consider eating a bit more?

sphinx

the piano man
I have another cutting question.

where does Oatmeal fit in all of this? I know some of you guys swear by it.

I read its nutritional content and it's basically a shitton of carbs. is it foremost a breakfast thing or is it food meant to be eaten when bulking?

what exactly makes oatmeal a great choice for people into this?

Cooter

I have an opinion question on cutting. I've never really tried getting down to particularly low body fats so this is new to me.

I'm starting to stall a bit on my lifts after about a month or so on a cut. I assume this is generally considered acceptable, but if I start going backwards I should maybe consider eating a bit more?
Most of them are going to decrease. Especially the push exercises. That's how it goes. :/

ILoveBish

Didn't go to gym, I really wanted to but you guys scared me into not going lol. I've been up 32 hours now and totally awake still, I am in bed now and still can't sleep, so much energy. It's getting a bit absurd at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom