• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

I put oatmeal in the blender, with a bit of milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder...

tastes good and I can pass it quickly.

anyone else put oatmeal in the blender?

I do for making oatmeal powder when making nature's valley-esque fruit-and-granola bars. I've never eaten it that way but might make for a healthier cream-of-wheat-type breakfast. I will try that out!

this_guy

I'll take a look at the videos, thanks. MWF was my plan. I don't like seafood, so is chicken, eggs, nuts, yogurt a good substitute? I have a friend where I work who's an older guy and who doesn't like seafood either, but he's pretty muscular.

Are some kinds of fast food more acceptable than others? Say chicken nuggets + fries from Wendy's (I noticed their fries aren't oily) or pizza? Unfortunately I really don't think I can cut out fast food completely.

I like soda but don't drink it too much. Maybe a day or two in the week I'll have some. I mainly drink juice and I drink some water. I can definitely up my water intake. Candy I can live without, and I don't care much about cakes and donuts and other such sweets. So I'll be fine there. Just fast food is too convenient >_<

As for running, I browse and play video games a lot. So I'm sitting often. Running is just a really good way for me to stretch out my muscles. It just helps me feel good and actually more energized than usual. If I look lumpier, it helps me go back to more normal levels after just one run. But that's all.

Download Myfitnesspal on your smartphone and start tracking your calories.

If you have to eat fast food, go to KFC and get grilled chicken and green beans for the side. Very low in calories and you get protein. I also like going to Chipotle for a salad with chicken, skip the rice and but I do get black beans, cheese, and salsa. That also comes in under 500 calories with a good amount of protein. I'm down almost 20 pounds since the Superbowl and haven't lost strength at the gym by cutting back carbs/sugar and watching my calories. If you do crave a burger either don't eat the bun, or at least don't eat one of the buns.

BumRush

I put oatmeal in the blender, with a bit of milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder...

Yes, my breakfast each morning is a blended shake of milk, banana, chocolate whey, peanut butter, plain greek yogurt, coffee, oatmeal and Chia seeds. It tastes waaaay too good.

BumRush

Hmm... wouldn't mind trying that. You have a vague recipe?

I use a big blender so I can have 3 meals out of it (usually 2 big ones for me and 2 half meals for my wife).

It's roughly 4 cups milk, 2 cups coffee, 2 scoops of ptotein (50 grams total), 4 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 fage Greek yogurt, 2 cups oatmeal, 2 frozen bananas, top with Chia seeds. If the bananas are frozen you don't need ice!

Try it. It's honestly unbelievably good and gives me energy for hours.

Thanks MDSFX. We need a nickname that's easier to type out by the way...fx?

ILoveBish

Finally, slept incredibly well. It took an ambien but slept from 1130 to 730 perfectly. Hopefully sleep won't be so erratic again.

Up 1.8lbs overnight, 235.6 from 233.8. No biggie, just need to get back to the grind. Feel pretty good today so will definitely be hitting the gym. Might start with bench since it's easiest and then how I feel from there.

Azulsky

I've only got steel cut so its not really blenderable. I thought this was one of the things that doesn't give you the micro nutrition unless you cook it.

Not really any point in going low GI right after a workout. It's when your body can work its magic with faster absorbed carbs. I'm guessing you're not doing intermittent fasting? I've only ever done it with IF, so I can't comment on progress without it.

As for heavy, my post workout meal yesterday had 110g of carbs... but yesterday was 2 a day training, I still had an hour of turbo trainer time to come.

I have done IF when I was just dieting but never when doing this heavy exercising.

I need to hunt for more human studies.

Technically my carbs and cals might still be lower than I think if MFP is counting fiber in there. Hmmmm need to investigate and possibly recalculate.

Szu

Finally, slept incredibly well. It took an ambien but slept from 1130 to 730 perfectly. Hopefully sleep won't be so erratic again.

Up 1.8lbs overnight, 235.6 from 233.8. No biggie, just need to get back to the grind. Feel pretty good today so will definitely be hitting the gym. Might start with bench since it's easiest and then how I feel from there.

Do you remeber having any dreams?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Something with the hostess brand was involved but it's kinda blurry.

Called it.

Was is this? :p

DfxXbYG.jpg

I use a big blender so I can have 3 meals out of it (usually 2 big ones for me and 2 half meals for my wife).

It's roughly 4 cups milk, 2 cups coffee, 2 scoops of ptotein (50 grams total), 4 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 fage Greek yogurt, 2 cups oatmeal, 2 frozen bananas, top with Chia seeds. If the bananas are frozen you don't need ice!

I will. I don't have chocolate protein powder, but it's easy enough to just add some cocoa to the mix.

Any particular brew of coffee, or just bog standard filter stuff?

BumRush

I will. I don't have chocolate protein powder, but it's easy enough to just add some cocoa to the mix.

Any particular brew of coffee, or just bog standard filter stuff?

We usually make a pot of coffee and put leftover in the fridge. I use that. Nothing fancy.

Also, MDSFX, Mike it is...

Yes, my breakfast each morning is a blended shake of milk, banana, chocolate whey, peanut butter, plain greek yogurt, coffee, oatmeal and Chia seeds. It tastes waaaay too good.

That's kind of like what my breakfast shake looks like

milk, kale, broccoli, strawberries, banana, vanilla whey, plain/vanilla/honey (depending on which one's on sale or if I'm craving something sweet), and I've recently been adding cinnamon to my shakes when I use plain greek yogurt. The stuff is legendary

Also, I'm down 10 lbs since starting this fitness journey but it looks like I've gained some mass. It feels good.

Also, FE, your pics are looking great man. The rib cage is starting to show through, abs are in sight!

Yeah slowly but surely. In the morning it is a lot more defined, but dehydration, lack of carbs, etc.

FE, I'd agree with coot on this. You look great already and "big" suits you. I'd just focus on maintaining the weight but replacing a bit of the fat with more muscle. It might take longer but you'll be a god amongst men when it's over.

Yeah, that is the plan for now. Run this "cut" through August/September. I really want to get back on the strength train. The pics really don't reflect it, but I have gained a good amount of size and definition from BB style training. It just feels great.

porkins.gif

Just don't crash and burn.

never friendo

3phemeral

Thanks MDSFX. We need a nickname that's easier to type out by the way...fx?
*yoink*

Soriku

Download Myfitnesspal on your smartphone and start tracking your calories.

If you have to eat fast food, go to KFC and get grilled chicken and green beans for the side. Very low in calories and you get protein. I also like going to Chipotle for a salad with chicken, skip the rice and but I do get black beans, cheese, and salsa. That also comes in under 500 calories with a good amount of protein. I'm down almost 20 pounds since the Superbowl and haven't lost strength at the gym by cutting back carbs/sugar and watching my calories. If you do crave a burger either don't eat the bun, or at least don't eat one of the buns.

I get the grilled chicken at KFC often so cool. The mac and cheese a no no though?

Also, a bun can fuck me up that much? Also I don't have a Chipotle near me.

Anyway thanks for the help thus far everyone.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, that is the plan for now. Run this "cut" through August/September. I really want to get back on the strength train. The pics really don't reflect it, but I have gained a good amount of size and definition from BB style training. It just feels great.
Hey dudebro, the pics totally reflect it. Without question! So much so that your sentence made me chuckle.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
So Monday, didn't feel 100%, slept little sunday night, didnt eat as much as I hoped. Managed to hit all my numbers but felt laboured, was not having a great time. After stretching I was heading towards the locker room when one of the trainers stopped me to talk. I see him training often besides being with customers, he power lifts and apparently noticed my workouts over the past few months. He mentioned that my squats were full and not the quarter squats he sees people doing all the time, also asked me if I was getting ready for the upcoming comp... Literally turned my day around. I dont mind not getting compliments but damn if that wasnt well timed to pick me back up.

Anyway,had to share ! Keep up the good work everyone !!!!

mdsfx

Dearest FastGAF,

Can you explain the effects of fasting on the metabolism and if you've experienced any changes when you've switch between eating habits?

Yours Truly,
That guy with the stupid name

Cooter

Dearest FastGAF,

Can you explain the effects of fasting on the metabolism and if you've experienced any changes when you've switch between eating habits?

Yours Truly,

I don't have a clue. How would you even test it? All I know is my body fat melts away when I combine IF, weight training, high protein, and low carb.

this_guy

I get the grilled chicken at KFC often so cool. The mac and cheese a no no though?

Also, a bun can fuck me up that much? Also I don't have a Chipotle near me.

Anyway thanks for the help thus far everyone.

Mac and cheese is about 170 calories vs 25 calories for the green beans, and it won't satiate you any better than the green beans will.

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition

If you start using MyFitnessPal you'll start getting a better idea of how many calories, protein, carbs, etc everything has, and you can start budgeting your calories. Is the mac and cheese worth 170 calories to you, or would you rather have another piece of chicken for 170 calories? Plus that piece of chicken will be mainly protein so it's better for you and will keep you feeling full for longer.

As far as burgers, the buns will probably add 250-300 calories, mainly carbs. When I'm watching how many calories I consume those aren't worth it to me. I try to eat clean 5 days a week, and I'm not as clean 2 days a week. This works for me and doesn't feel like I'm dieting (I also combine elements of intermittent fasting and skip breakfast, but eating a big lunch keeps me full and I dont' get hungry during the day)

Dearest FastGAF,

Yours Truly,

Research shows either no changes to metabolism, or slight increase to resting metabolic rate from epinephrine/norepinephrine. I'm not sure what you're looking for when you mention "changes" though. For the most part I've just retrained myself to eat 1-2 times a day.

If you want to learn about fasting altogether, I'd recommend tracking down a copy of Eat Stop Eat. Plenty of information in there backed up by references and research.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I don't have a clue. How would you even test it? All I know is my body fat melts away when I combine IF, weight training, high protein, and low carb.

Man, fasting is gonna be rough for me. I love my damn carbs.

fasting is fasting, cutting carbs is cutting carbs. The two are totally not related lol. That being said, fasting isn't a band-aid to cover your carb (or food in general) overconsumption like I see in some people irl.

Superflat

i only started adapting a intermittent fasting lifestyle for a month-ish, but it's done me more good than bad so far. It makes me think smarter about what I eat since I do it fewer times of the day, so I have to make them count. I eat twice a day most days, and maybe do a 24 hour fast once a week. Even with a job that requires me to be on my feet and scurrying around 6 hours a day and exercising in the morning (usually HIIT or a random session of INSANITY), I have enough energy for the day. I don't try to cut carbs from my life, but I'm mindful of them and decrease their portions. I eat lettuce salad bowls for lunch most days (with at least 3-4 ounces of meat and light dressing) and dinner could be pretty much anything, but it's home cooked 90% of the time. I'm eating and exercising to lose weight though. Once I'm at my ideal weight/fat percentage, my regimen will probably change; but I'll probably stick with fasting regularly.

Well, I just ate 60g of tangfastics and a flapjack... and soon I'm going to eat a massive meal, probably with a snickers after it. Cuttastic!

I just spent two hours training fasted at 150+bpm

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

3 cups

The trick is to blend the dry oats and turn them to powder. Add a banana to the shake to prevent the oat from settling to the bottom. I add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar for taste.

169 this morning. Coming off a stomach bug that whooped my ass on Monday and the better part of yesterday. We're talking curled up in bed. Been 5 days since I hit the gym thanks to work at home that *needed* to get taken care of.

Went in today feeling like my stomach was up in my chest, some kind of bad acid reflux. I managed to DL 345 x 4, and 345 was my 1 RM in January. Progress.

Made the decision to cut alcohol the fuck down. It's basically just me fucking around if I think I can get away with knocking back some beers as often as I do. I'm trying to LOSE body fat and get crazy lean before I go down the path of bulk. Not mad at what I push now, but obviously want more.

Little live journal-ish there, but figured I'd put it out. Publicly saying I'm doing something always helps.

You know you don't have to fast if you don't want to......... Like I know everyone in this thread does it but it's not the only way of doing things. You can still get great results on other meal plans.

I mean I'm cutting on a standard low fat diet. I have incredible energy. My strength has either stabilized or gone up. My pumps and vascularity is insane. I recover quickly. I eat every day.

It really comes down to picking a plan that you know will help you succeed your goals and you will enjoy it along the way.

J. Bravo

hidden by multiple pair of boxer briefs

Thanks brother and I agree with you. I just don't know what that % is yet and where my final weight will end up. No biggie. In due time.
You should aim for 10%. That gives you something to strive for, as well as allowing you plenty of cushion for when you get tired of cutting haha. Also you'd be freaking scary at like 220.

blackflag

You know you don't have to fast if you don't want to......... Like I know everyone in this thread does it but it's not the only way of doing things. You can still get great results on other meal plans.

I mean I'm cutting on a standard low fat diet. I have incredible energy. My strength has either stabilized or gone up. My pumps and vascularity is insane. I recover quickly. I eat every day.

It really comes down to picking a plan that you know will help you succeed your goals and you will enjoy it along the way.

Agreed with this. I just carb cycle a bit but I didn't have any better results when I fasted. I guess whatever is more comfortable for you.

Cooter

No. There is only one right way and it's my way! ;)

I think it comes down to what type of eater you are. If you enjoy snacking then don't fast. If you prefer to eat until you're stuffed then maybe fasting is something you should look into. What eating pattern you choose is irrelevant. What matters is your consistency and discipline.

*I didn't write that for you. I know it's all redundant info to the Quadzilla.

^^^^^^^^^^SNACKING.

I really should go back to fasting to break that habit, but boy do I love having meals setup so I can snack.

But yeah, I couldn't agree more Cooter.

Agreed with this. I just carb cycle a bit but I didn't have any better results when I fasted. I guess whatever is more comfortable for you.
For sure, though on the other hand it's always nice to know how other diets work. Don't wanna write off something while being misinformed. I like trying different diets and seeing how they effect me.

I just feel more comfortable/successful on specific diets.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't know how you guys fast for more than... 10 hours, that's absolutely insane, my stomach would be burning and in pain.

I'd rather take my meals like i am used to, eat the right stuff and count calories.

3 cups

The trick is to blend the dry oats and turn them to powder. Add a banana to the shake to prevent the oat from settling to the bottom. I add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar for taste.

yeah I noticed there was residual oat at the bottom of my shake, didn't bother me though.

I will try with a banana tomorrow

EDIT: Also, WOW, for something that tastes and feels like cardboard in your mouth, oatmeal is damn popular here.

Leeness

All this oatmeal talk... :'( Can't eat it.

I do think, once I'm done losing weight, I'm gonna find some Quest Bars. They sound delightful. COOKIE DOUGH, plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom