• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Hey Bish! I had a question for you, hope you don't mind.

I saw that you made the Nutrition Thread and I think that right now you're on a Ketogenic diet, mind telling me the reason you chose that approach?

I'm not doing keto on purpose I think but I do limit my carb intake a lot so I guess that most days I stay under 20g of carbs, and I was wondering if continuing like this is a good idea when I join a gym soon, for the moment I'm mostly sedentary but I don't experience lack of energy, which I get mostly from fats and protein.

I'll be doing keto till I'm 6 feet under. The reason I started doing it was because I couldn't stick to other diets. Carbs make you hungry and are a poor source of nutrition. Once I started doing keto, I realized I was addicted to carbs, and slowly the addiction has gone. Now I have more energy now at age 36 then I did at age 18, never looked better are been healthier.

If you're fully adapted, gym is going to be very fun. Once you get started you'll see how much energy you'll have. There is a adaptation period, but the body will correct whatever needs to happen. Just be consistent.

Main thing is to have proper amount of protein. I eat 160g a day.

Miutsu

I'll be doing keto till I'm 6 feet under. The reason I started doing it was because I couldn't stick to other diets. Carbs make you hungry and are a poor source of nutrition. Once I started doing keto, I realized I was addicted to carbs, and slowly the addiction has gone. Now I have more energy now at age 36 then I did at age 18, never looked better are been healthier.

If you're fully adapted, gym is going to be very fun. Once you get started you'll see how much energy you'll have. There is a adaptation period, but the body will correct whatever needs to happen. Just be consistent.

Main thing is to have proper amount of protein. I eat 160g a day.

Alright, sounds good! A lot of what you just said resonates with me.

The thing I might have a problem with is getting enough protein, right now I usually stay within 100g per day max, maybe with protein shakes and such I'll have an easier time getting enough of it.

The other problem is finding a good gym now :/

Guys what kinds of snacks should I be buying?

Im in Toronto Canada. Any good things that are healthy as possible besides fruits and veggies?

I run like crazy every other day now, but feel super guilty if I dont eat right

These are the only real snacks in my home and I love them:

NVSSPeanutPL.png

But they dont seem healthy lol

Also, are there any drinks that arent just sugar?

rokkerkory

Im in Toronto Canada. Any good things that are healthy as possible besides fruits and veggies?

NVSSPeanutPL.png

Not sure if those qualify as 'healthy', what's the fat, sugar, etc content on them?

For snacking, i love beef jerky but some has high sodium.

Not sure if those qualify as 'healthy', what's the fat, sugar, etc content on them?

For snacking, i love beef jerky but some has high sodium.

Im sure they are not. Which is why I need some suggestions for food and drink snacks

Fat: 8g/13% saturated: 13%

Sugar: 7g

Carbs: 7%

Also, is sugar from fruits the same as augar crom the rest of these foods? I eat a lot of fruits.

And how's tuna and whole wheat bread as a lunch?

Miutsu

NVSSPeanutPL.png

I myself was very guilty of going quicky through a batch of these a few months ago:

Nowadays I prefer quest bars for the nutritional value/ingredients but they are so damn expensive here in Montreal.

ILoveBish

Alright, sounds good! A lot of what you just said resonates with me.

The thing I might have a problem with is getting enough protein, right now I usually stay within 100g per day max, maybe with protein shakes and such I'll have an easier time getting enough of it.

The other problem is finding a good gym now :/

Protein amount is per person. I do .8g protein per pound of lean body mass. Just a rough estimate. I go to shitty 24 hour fitness cause its cheap using the Costco deal. Once I get my own place it will be home gym time.

The actual Tabata protocol is monstrous. I wouldn't recommend it for most as it'll completely end even extremely fit people. A lot of people refer to Tabata intervals, but they don't actually do them at anywhere near the right intensity (and a bunch more don't do the right timing).

Fair enough; I was only thinking of trying it at those intervals as a way of mixing things up. I figure I'll probably end up cranking out more pull-ups this way than if I just did 5 sets.

I've had this conversation before with my wife. Usually goes like:

W - "But breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"

Me - "So you're eating pancakes covered in syrup and calling that an important meal?"

W - *silence*

You guys were out of waffles and she was hungry. Cut her some slack.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
As expected I was 179.4 today. Crazy how quickly my body sheds fat when everything is dialed in. Also crazy to stop and think about me weighing 220 on Feb. 23rd.

How bad are these crackers:

Calories 100 Sodium 170 mg
Total Fat 4 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 13 g
Polyunsaturated 2 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 2 g Sugars 2 g
Trans 0 g Protein 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 2%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 4%

Per 4 crackers...

If I have 12 a day for my snacks, that's 300 calories :(

I ran for 70 minutes yesterday and burned 1000 calories if my treadmill is worth going by

I'll aim to do half that at least, tomorrow

Today I just worked out my muscles

I want to munch on something between meals, but Im a bit worried of how much in calories I should take in and worry that these snacks will sneak up on me

Im 5'8" and 170 lbs if that helps

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dropping snacks is always the best answer. Just eat more fulfilling meals.

I don't buy into the whole calories in/calories out as the end all be all of weight loss, but even if you did, and even if your treadmill's reading were accurate (it's not), you're looking at 14.3 kcals per minute of running.

That's 21 minutes of intense exercise just to be able to accommodate those crackers.

Now remember that it's unlikely that you're just going to eat 12 (even if you lie to yourself) and you're guaranteed to overestimate your exercise level (skip a day here, promising yourself you'll make it up the next day, etc.), and, yeah, they're going to sneak up you more likely than not.

Traditional dieting has an almost 100% failure rate and I think that it's stuff like that really adds up and leads to failure with a lot of people.

Anyway, don't eat the crackers. They are only doing you harm.

Dropping snacks is always the best answer. Just eat more fulfilling meals.

I don't buy into the whole calories in/calories out as the end all be all of weight loss, but even if you did, and even if your treadmill's reading were accurate (it's not), you're looking at 14.3 kcals per minute of running.

That's 21 minutes of intense exercise just to be able to accommodate those crackers.

Now remember that it's unlikely that you're just going to eat 12 (even if you lie to yourself) and you're guaranteed to overestimate your exercise level (skip a day here, promising yourself you'll make it up the next day, etc.), and, yeah, they're going to sneak up you more likely than not.

Traditional dieting has an almost 100% failure rate and I think that it's stuff like that really adds up and leads to failure with a lot of people.

Anyway, don't eat the crackers. They are only doing you harm.

Darn. So just .. eat more during meals?

What about just eating fruits?

I just bought these crackers like a shmuck lol

In short... yes. Realistically it's best never to snack if you can avoid it.

Might be difficult short term, wont be long term because your body will get used to eating at specific times.

Arghhh. Im not one to waste food, so Ill have to eat like 1 cracker a day.

I need to figure out how to make better meals. How bad is tuna with whole wheat and mayo?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So, here is an example of this week's volume.

Monday

Front squat 120x5, 150x5, 180x3, 195x5, 225x5, 255x6, 265x4, 195x8.
SSB: 165x5, 255x5, 305x5,5,5
SSB Goodmornings 165x10,10,10

Tuesday

OHP 95x5, 115x5, 130x3, 145x5, 165x5, 190x7, 200x5, 210x4, 145x10
Incline DB bench 45x15, 60x13,10,10

Swissbar CGBP 135x8, 185x5,5,5

Dips/curl superset 10,10,10/10,10,8

Thursday

Deadlift 135x5, 225x5, 320x3, 350x5, 405x5, 455x6, 475x5, 500x2, 350x5,5
Barbell shrug 315x10,15,20
Hammer strength highrow/lat pull down super set. 10,10/10,9

All of these are done in an hour and a half or less.

And Fridays are usually 3 events. And I'm getting a prowler next week to add onto these days.

The crackers aren't going to kill you buddy. :)

You could even eat them with a meal if you want.

Lol, well Ill have to finish them now anyway :p

Hopefully fruits are generally okay to munch on. Cutting snacks completely is going to be a difficult thing for me.

So Ive been hitting the gym more consistently since joining in december

I dont really have a routine though...like I dont so leg day or back day. Sort of do them all every time I go

So Ill do like 8 reps and 5 sets on machines that target back, arms, legs, shoulders, chest, and then so some sets of dumbbell bicep curls

Is that okay?

LegoArmo

I'm a very heavy guy, right now. I've lost 70 or so pounds so far this year, but the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't lost anything significant.

So, I have decided, I should try and move a bit more (I've just been walking for exercise, really), but I did some of the Mossa Fight work out on Xbox Fitness today, and I was out of breath and had to sit down after just the warm up.

That's pretty bad.

BumRush

I'm a very heavy guy, right now. I've lost 70 or so pounds so far this year, but the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't lost anything significant.

So, I have decided, I should try and move a bit more (I've just been walking for exercise, really), but I did some of the Mossa Fight work out on Xbox Fitness today, and I was out of breath and had to sit down after just the warm up.

That's pretty bad.

You should be excited and proud that you want to change and be healthier! Start slow...we all did. Results will come, I promise.

BumRush

So, here is an example of this week's volume.

Monday

Front squat 120x5, 150x5, 180x3, 195x5, 225x5, 255x6, 265x4, 195x8.
SSB: 165x5, 255x5, 305x5,5,5
SSB Goodmornings 165x10,10,10

Tuesday

OHP 95x5, 115x5, 130x3, 145x5, 165x5, 190x7, 200x5, 210x4, 145x10
Incline DB bench 45x15, 60x13,10,10

Swissbar CGBP 135x8, 185x5,5,5

Dips/curl superset 10,10,10/10,10,8

Thursday

Deadlift 135x5, 225x5, 320x3, 350x5, 405x5, 455x6, 475x5, 500x2, 350x5,5
Barbell shrug 315x10,15,20
Hammer strength highrow/lat pull down super set. 10,10/10,9

All of these are done in an hour and a half or less.

And Fridays are usually 3 events. And I'm getting a prowler next week to add onto these days.

Daaaaamn. Thursday especially would kill me. That heavy volume must get your heart goin

Sadetar

Sadetar, never used hemp oil before, I use butter, coconut oil, peanut oil, sesame oil and will use lard later. Virgin olive oil for salads.
I use virgin olive oil for my salads as well or well, I do a salad dressing with mixing that with hemp oil and some sort of vinegar. I also use coconut oil when I am baking something. I think I will survive with these. On Friday I will actually get the results of my blood samples so I will hear what my cholesterole and million other things are as well. I do changes accordingly if needed. :)

So it's day 4 of my return to the gym after being off for almost a month due to surgery. Lifting weak as hell but I'm making my way back up. Sore as hell too. Gotta find me a gym partner in the Atlanta area. :|
Awesome that you are back to the gym even if you needed to take some time off because of the surgery. I am sure you will be fine. :) I myself needed to be two months away from the gym due to a herniated disc.

Does the alarm sound like this?

http://youtu.be/W0B4dKhT4zo
Oh my gods. That sound makes me always so very worried.

I generally lift at 5pm, then eat from 7pm to around midnight, though I'm not obsessed about when I finish generally... as long as it's roughly around there.
I am quite much the same even though it changes from day to day. Today I for example ate between 8 pm till 11 pm. Tomorrow I am most likely going to eat a bit earlier since I think I will eat straight after the gym and I am planning to go on early afternoon.

Yeah, I've had that discussion a few times. It's funny really, my missus still acts like the world is ending if she misses breakfast too.
I seriously used to be like this. I would become very grumpy and extremely annoying if I needed to skip a breakfast or lunch. I got hungry and I am like that when hungry. Now I don't really feel hungry anymore to be honest. It is odd how it goes away.

One thing I'm still not clear on is if it has different affects on women. I've read a few things saying it may mess with hormonal levels.
Just speaking personally, but I love IF, and have noticed only good things. I still have normal hormone levels, and all the associated regular effects. :p

My fasting windows aren't as long as some people here though. I eat my first meal around noon, or ocassionally have a family weekend brunch meal around 10.
I am with Cooper. I have been on IF for a short while and my body has adabted brilliantly well. I don't feel hungry basicly at all and other than taking blood samples I have felt great. My fasting time differs but generally I eat all my food within 3-6 hours depending of the day and my other schedules. I am afraid I can't keep this up while visiting my family though. We will see.

Weighed in at 185.2 this morning. That's roughly 75 lbs lost in around 14 months. 😊

Kinda wish I had kept progress pics.
Oh you so should have! And congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment.

Do you have any pics what so ever? I am curious to see your results. :)

I'm just about done with my cut and finally got my weight down under 100 kg which was my minimum goal of this eight week cut. I weighed 99,7 kg (219,8 lb) this morning so I have lost ca 12,5 lb in 7,5 weeks. Fairly happy with that even though I could have lost a bit more if I had not gotten a flu a few weeks ago which kept me away from the gym for a week. And I should NOT order any Quest bars while I'm trying to lose weight. I ordered four boxes of Quest bars to help me with my diet but I ate the whole lot in two weeks. Those mint chocolates and cookie doughs are just too damn good. Not surprisingly I didn't lose any weight while the Quest bars lasted. Anyway, I still want to lose at least 10 lb since my body fat percentage is still way over twenty and would like to look a bit leaner. I think I will continue eating pretty clean for the summer but will allow myself a few cheat meals every now and then. Looking forward to eating some pizza after this cut is officially over on Monday.
You better be posting those comparison pics sooner than later. :p

Oh and I share your feelings about Quest bars. I need to fight with myself to eat only one a day when I have them around. I quite often fail at it. Still I think they help me since they keep me away from worse things and satisfy my appetite quite much.

Picking up a tux tonight I was fitted for last month. Hope it still fits ok
Oooooh! I hope so too! :D

If it does can we have some pics? Pretty please.

As expected I was 179.4 today. Crazy how quickly my body sheds fat when everything is dialed in. Also crazy to stop and think about me weighing 220 on Feb. 23rd.
You are a machine. I am sure of it.

That is incredible.

That's pretty bad.
You have done great so far and 70 pounds is a lot already. You should be very proud of yourself. You are on the right track. Just take it easy and start it slow. If you are still very heavy have you thought about perhaps biking, swimming or water running that are good for joints?

BumRush

Same diet but upping calories to 2400-2600. If I stay at 1800-2000 I'll dip down to single digits. No thanks.

Haha yeah dude. Honestly, you should post even just your Feb to June transformation on every page to show new people and lurkers what's possible with dedication and a strict diet.

SeanR1221

Amazing and inspirational. Nice job man

Sadetar, I actually had to take the pants in a little!

36, large shirt and a 48 size suit jacket but slim fit to taper in the middle.

So I basically went down in pants and shirt size but kept the jacket the same. That's a win in my book!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks guys and gals. I really lean on this place and every one here during the tough times.

Szu

Thanks guys and gals. I really lean on this place and every one here during the tough times.

Cool, Cooter. And you're an inspiration to some of us.

I do notice you used the words "lean" and "tough" in your comment. Damn stealth bragging.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, Cooter, those are some great results.

You're obviously bigger (and maybe even leaner?) than in the pics you shared a year or more ago. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom