• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I feel like a damned business exec right now. The hotel the federal bureau of prisons has me staying in for this seminar is nuts. My room has a king size bed, an office, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen with sink, full size fridge/freezer, dishwasher pots, pans, stove, silverware and microwave. It's basically a studio apartment. Oh and free shuttles to anywhere in a 5 mile radius.

All of this and everything paid for just to come to Texas to learn how to use software to facilitate the making/accepting/awarding of government contracts.

Oh and to stay on topic, I'm gonna check out metroflex gym in Dallas while I'm down here.

BumRush

I feel like a damned business exec right now. The hotel the federal bureau of prisons has me staying in for this seminar is nuts. My room has a king size bed, an office, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen with sink, full size fridge/freezer, dishwasher pots, pans, stove, silverware and microwave. It's basically a studio apartment. Oh and free shuttles to anywhere in a 5 mile radius.

All of this and everything paid for just to come to Texas to learn how to use software to facilitate the making/accepting/awarding of government contracts.

Oh and to stay on topic, I'm gonna check out metroflex gym in Dallas while I'm down here.

Best thing about business trips. I run a finance department for a fortune 50 company so when I travel it's generally upscale. Take advantage while you can lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Best thing about business trips. I run a finance department for a fortune 50 company so when I travel it's generally upscale. Take advantage while you can lol.

Definitely am, and I'm young in my career too. I feel like I leveled up without knowing it with this promotion. Lol.

And wow, I had no idea you had a career like that Bum, nice.

SeanR1221

Sounds awesome Brolic. Traveling in style.

Bum I also had no idea that was your job. This is why I hate the meat head stereotype for lifters.

BumRush

It's the reason I don't post my face, to be honest. My company effectively said "don't show up on the internet" so besides pics of my family on FB / Insta, I haven't really done anything for years. It sucks, but it's a great job so I comply.

Definitely am, and I'm young in my career too. I feel like I leveled up without knowing it with this promotion. Lol.

LOL

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Bum I also had no idea that was your job. This is why I hate the meat head stereotype for lifters.

It's absolutely awesome.

Wishing I got into financial management sooner! Lol

It's the reason I don't post my face, to be honest. My company effectively said "don't show up on the internet" so besides pics of my family on FB / Insta, I haven't really done anything for years. It sucks, but it's a great job so I comply.

LOL

Understandable, and I don't blame you in the least.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Indeed, some of the bigger dudes would get shit in my engineering program even though we went to them for homework help.

Sadetar

As soon as i get another ps4, you'll be the first person i add!
Yay! Now I feel so very special! :D
Really, that was very sweet of you to say. ^_^

Glad you're doing better, Sadetar. Hopefully whatever discomfort you're still feeling goes away and you get back to 100% soon. :)

So I just got back from the gym, and sometimes it gets a little depressing and distracting when you see people around you who are monsters (sorta like in this thread, haha). I've made some decent progress sure, but it's a little discouraging to see how much further I still have to go.

On the plus side, I did a new personal best today. Deadlifted 235 lbs. Woo! :D
Oh it isn't not at all that bad anymore! :) It isn't really even discomfort, just an odd feeling that lingers on my leg. Most likely the nerve channel is somehow damaged and thus feels a bit silly. It isn't bothering me in any level though, so I am really happy about that. I just need to wait to meet with my physiotherapist to make sure everything is fine before adding weights and trying to deadlift again.

Also don't take those beasts in a negative way but look at them thinking that you will be as much of a beast some day if you just continue on your path. It is hard if you think that your goals are so far away, but it is all about baby steps to the right direction. Every new personal record counts so just learn to be happy about them and you are where you want to be sooner than you thought. :)

I'll add you even though I don't really play online if it's ok.
It is not only alright, but I encourage you to do so. ^_^

Hey, Sadetar, nice to hear that all is progressing well with your back.
Awwwww, thanks Szu!

Even though I am a bit confused, if there was a joke it was so well hidden my simple brains didn't really catch it. :p

Hey, so I thought I'll post something.

This is me at 295 pounds on June 28,

This is me today 278 pounds.

I don't think I notice that much of a difference, but I am feeling fitter than before though.
Absolutely fantastic job this far! Just keep at it! :D

Forgive me padre for I have sinned.
You are such a meanie. :p

Thanks guys :) I'm taking my first week off in over 30 weeks to just recover/heal, and then its full force for the next weight loss goal from now until November.
Your cut has been inspirational to say the least. :)

I'm so adding you, even though we're in drastically different time zones and I'll probably never be able to play anything with you lol. <3

9 more! :) 25 down, 9 to go. I feel like I'm actually starting to see it a bit now. I haven't really seen any change but now I actually look like I've lost a bit of weight.

http://i.imgur.com/pAvizfw.jpg

So...feeling good about that at least
even though I'm still fugly haha

Boo, booooo at your injury. I'm happy you are able to get back into it (slowly), though! You'll re-lose the weight super quickly, I know it :)
Well gorgeous, I do hope I will catch you some day then! <3

How about we just leave all that fugly talk on the doorstep and don't bring it here? :) We know we can't really change your perspective of yourself - only you can do it so it is rather pointless to go it over all the time.

What comes to the photo I can totally see the difference and I am so excited that only 9 pounds and you are on your goal weight! I am far from mine, but then again I am in no hurry.

Even though I am really curious about your current diet. Can you write me some general measures of your daily diet? I mean what do you generally eat in a day? :D

Made it. Eating now. Was much easier then i thought. I can see myself doing this every few months.
Insanity.

Can we still see some pictures of you after all that? :p

And wow, I had no idea you had a career like that Bum, nice.

I actually enjoy this conversation. I think that the negative stereotypes about lifters are there at least partly for other people to feel better about themselves. Thinking that other people could actually keep up a nice career, good family life and on top of that their body in a god-like shape, that would maybe be too much for them to bear. :p

TMONSTER

Some progress pics from when I started intermittent fasting in 2012. Cut down from 220lbs to 175. Lost a ton of strength from my bench press but manged to keep most of my strength in my other lifts. Goal now is to get my bench back while staying around 185.

sidecomp49uf2.jpg

frontcomp0oujg.jpg

backcompqzumu.jpg

ILoveBish

Tmaster, my god. Incredible.

Sadetar, soon...

What is the intended effect of the longer fast window?

So basically, it kills off old fat cells that are remaining and dormant. It also helps skin recovery and helps build new HGH naturally. There is a LOT of benefits.

Also keep in mind i didn't jump strait into this. I did 16/8 fasting, then 20/4, 21/3, 22/2 to the one meal a day i do now, then tried the 72 hour fast out. I am very used to not being hungry, so this was very natural of a process.

Congrats Bish. Please don't do that again for a while!

Thanks, and next time is going to be in a month or so. I need to see if there any issues with doing this once a month, but from what i see its recommended 4 times a year.

There is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when you are working to improve yourself! Don't be embarrassed of what you used to be but just be happy that you are doing something about it. :)

So I am waiting to see the comparison shots. :p

We'll see. Definitely not shirtless though :p

I am most likely totally too late to answer, but I do normally around 18-21 hours without eating. I always work out with an empty stomach and eat straight after that. Works brilliantly well.

I've been doing similar. Eat carbs afterwards.

Chocobro

Was curious, would anyone be interested in buying my pair of size 8 CrossFit Lite TRs? I deadlifted in them (with socks) 5 times, each for about 15 minutes. It's been sitting on my shoe rack for a few months.

ILoveBish

Ate around 3200 calories today. Didn't bother fasting, just had guests over and had to cook for them, made them ice cream and just enjoyed (still low carb doe). Now that evo is done, back to the grind.

Daria

I lurked around here for a little bit but now it's my first post. I dont know if I'm posting this all correctly so be gentle if I'm not.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 153
Goal: 175

Current Training Schedule: N/A, currently had to quit the gym temporary
Current Training Equipment Available: very limited, body weight and two 5lb dumbbells

Comments: I'm looking to tone down my body fat for definition but gain some muscle weight at the same time. My diet is pretty shit as well, setting up a small menu (im vegetarian) or just having an idea on what main items i should be focusing on or around.
I'm mostly interested in work outs i can do at home, at least 3x a week. I'm currently looking into starting the 100 push-up challenge but I wasn't sure if that'd be sufficient enough for the next 3-5 months.
I did go to the gym last year for a better part of it all but had to stop due to other reasons. I had no real set routine, I would just do whatever my buddy was doing that day (it was at least broken up into sections). I did see some results as I went from 175 in fat down to 153 now but I want to get it back up with the right fats and muscle.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I lurked around here for a little bit but now it's my first post. I dont know if I'm posting this all correctly so be gentle if I'm not.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 153
Goal: 175

Current Training Schedule: N/A, currently had to quit the gym temporary
Current Training Equipment Available: very limited, body weight and two 5lb dumbbells

Comments: I'm looking to tone down my body fat for definition but gain some muscle weight at the same time. My diet is pretty shit as well, setting up a small menu (im vegetarian) or just having an idea on what main items i should be focusing on or around.
I'm mostly interested in work outs i can do at home, at least 3x a week. I'm currently looking into starting the 100 push-up challenge but I wasn't sure if that'd be sufficient enough for the next 3-5 months.
I did go to the gym last year for a better part of it all but had to stop due to other reasons. I had no real set routine, I would just do whatever my buddy was doing that day (it was at least broken up into sections). I did see some results as I went from 175 in fat down to 153 now but I want to get it back up with the right fats and muscle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XIZN5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I tried that out for a lil bit before learning that the gym I had access to had some free weights. Besides that I've heard it's a good program if you just plan on doing calisthenics.

Daria

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XIZN5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I tried that out for a lil bit before learning that the gym I had access to had some free weights. Besides that I've heard it's a good program if you just plan on doing calisthenics.

thank you! that's relatively cheap so i'll check it out for sure.

would it be a wise choice to get something simple to use at home in addition to this like 2x 20lb free weights or a jump rope? or is it best to stick to one thing for a little bit and then change up later on?

Nelo Ice

Banned
thank you! that's relatively cheap so i'll check it out for sure.

would it be a wise choice to get something simple to use at home in addition to this like 2x 20lb free weights or a jump rope? or is it best to stick to one thing for a little bit and then change up later on?

Tbh, I have no idea. I don't have much experience with calisthenics and I'm the type that relies on doing a program exactly how it's outlined. I rarely modify lol. If it were me I'd stick to the routine.

Daria

Tbh, I have no idea. I don't have much experience with calisthenics and I'm the type that relies on doing a program exactly how it's outlined. I rarely modify lol. If it were me I'd stick to the routine.

I'm going to pick up a copy of the book and start the 100 push up challenge on the off days that I'm not working CC. next step is going to be getting a menu and better eating habits set up so I'm not just pissing my results away

e: whats a good sugar replacement to start with besides water? would replacing it with like Gatorade do nothing since it's still filled with sugar? And i feel like replacing soda with ginger ale does nothing (it's basically the same thing lol) and that's a weakness right now

Am away for a week and it's terrible timing for my cut. I'm going to take an extra bag with resistance bands and general workout kit as well as some protein powder / quest bars. God knows what sort of routine I'll end up doing, as I wont have a pull up bar (bit big for packing).

Food is going to be a nightmare as all I'll have to choose from will be the usual crap you get at race tracks and whatever I can scrounge up in the local supermarkets.

ILoveBish

Hmm, i can't find anything doing 72 hour fasts frequently being bad. Been searching for hours. I honestly wouldn't mind doing it pretty often, i freakin enjoyed it and miss doing it already. Oh well, i'll be back to normal tomorrow and see how the week goes. Perhaps once every 3 weeks, or once a month....

A eastern european friend of mine got a bunch of herbalife shakes to get fatter, she's thin and wants to gain weight, now, I know the type of scam it is, but are the products any good themselves, or just overpriced as hell?

I know Optimum's powders are very popular here, but what flavours are people using? I don't normally use them so I have no idea what's good (I want to grab a tub to take away with me).

BumRush

Hmm, i can't find anything doing 72 hour fasts frequently being bad. Been searching for hours. I honestly wouldn't mind doing it pretty often, i freakin enjoyed it and miss doing it already. Oh well, i'll be back to normal tomorrow and see how the week goes. Perhaps once every 3 weeks, or once a month....

Bish I have a feeling you couldn't find much on it because not that many people intentionally starve themselves for 72 hours lol.

ILoveBish

Bish I have a feeling you couldn't find much on it because not that many people intentionally starve themselves for 72 hours lol.

Starve is the wrong term lol. I'm forcing my body to use my stored body fat for energy. Also grow new hgh naturally and more.

Also, I ate a bunch today and didn't fast, and I still cannot sleep at all, tons of energy. So the fasting or low calories isn't the sleep issue for me. Probably going to just stay up, finish work then knock out right after.

For most people it would be hell, so starve would be reasonably accurate. :)

I did 36 hours when I was on low carb and I didn't enjoy it at all. Though I was doing a lot of outdoor work, which was probably fucking me up. Might be a different story if had been in front of a desk or lounging around.

despire

There was a documentary on TV some time back on fasting. They had a segment where they used fasting prior to treatment in cancer patients because it allowed the chemo therapy to attack cancer cells more, while ignoring your healthy cells.

Also something something about "rebooting" your immune system though I'm not sure what the benefit is.

Faiz

can you guys touch your toes without bending your knees? Apparently this is a test to see if you are flexible or not.

Yep. It varies a little by day and how lazy I've been about stretching and rolling though. Some days I can get my palm flat on the floor.

sphinx

the piano man
Impresssive pics Tmonster,

would you share with us when you started lifting? how long have you been at it? cause it's truyl inspiring what you show.

mdsfx

I know Optimum's powders are very popular here, but what flavours are people using? I don't normally use them so I have no idea what's good (I want to grab a tub to take away with me).
I find the regular flavors too sweet and the natural too mellow. I mix 1/2 scoop regular chocolate casein with a 1/2 scoop natural chocolate whey. It's perfect

So I am trying to do this:

I am 6'3" and weigh 209. I am trying to lose 10 pounds but get more toned. I am actually pretty muscular but just trying to get that 6-8 pack.

I am trying more of a MMA/UFC style routine. I really want to start doing Cleans and Snatches but I am honestly a bit intimidated. I have been lifting for a year and a half so I know my way around. I deadlift, squat, push press, overhead press and all of that. The whole jerk on the Clean scares me. It looks slightly dangerous. I've watched videos and I know the best way to try is to try. Any tips?

Chocobro

So I am trying to do this:

I am 6'3" and weigh 209. I am trying to lose 10 pounds but get more toned. I am actually pretty muscular but just trying to get that 6-8 pack.

I am trying more of a MMA/UFC style routine. I really want to start doing Cleans and Snatches but I am honestly a bit intimidated. I have been lifting for a year and a half so I know my way around. I deadlift, squat, push press, overhead press and all of that. The whole jerk on the Clean scares me. It looks slightly dangerous. I've watched videos and I know the best way to try is to try. Any tips?

Read Greg Everett's book. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0980011116/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Use a PVC pipe to get the feel of the movement. Kirk trained with Coach Wu Chuanfu and followed a progression with a bamboo stick (you can use a broomstick or PVC pipe): http://www.pendlayforum.com/showpost.php?p=20224&postcount=158

Get a coach. It'll save you a lot of time and effort. It's one of the reasons I'm waiting until I get back to NYC before I start weightlifting.

The Chef

Tmonster that is some amazing progress. Look great dude.

Rocky Road is absolutely the best.
I am using Chocolate right now and its good but very mild which can be a good thing.

ILoveBish

So i got 3 hours of sleep, woke up and stomach completely full of food and digestive track also, only went up 1.8lbs to 228.2. Seems fine to me!

Chocobro

Cappuccino > Double Rich Chocolate

Cappuccino still tastes good with water, whereas it is very mediocre with DRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom