• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Too tired for leg day. Someone else do it for me.
I postponed mine a day too haha

Sodium question:
Currently (as in right now) eating brown rice with green beans and grilled chicken. I didn't add any salt to anything. I normally don't salt food with the exception of seasoning meat, which I didn't even do this time. Well, this tastes bland as hell. Can I add salt/soy/sauce whatever with sodium without hurting my cut progress?

Edit: damn... There is almost no flavor. Even with the garlic i added to the rice. At this point I'm just forcing it down.

Chorazin

Sodium question:
Currently (as in right now) eating brown rice with green beans and grilled chicken. I didn't add any salt to anything. I normally don't salt food with the exception of seasoning meat, which I didn't even do this time. Well, this tastes bland as hell. Can I add salt/soy/sauce whatever with sodium without hurting my cut progress?

Edit: damn... There is almost no flavor. Even with the garlic i added to the rice. At this point I'm just forcing it down.

Why not get some Ms. Dash? Shit is delicious and sodium free.

EDIT: and they have a ton of different flavors.

mkenyon

Banned
So I added Bulgarian Lunges to my routine, felt like I was getting a bit samey with just running + squats being my leg workout.

I decided to try the lunges and squats on the same day last Saturday, but also dropped the weight on my squats a bit to try high rep with a larger range of motion (bottoming out as much as possible).

My hamstrings and ass have never hurt this much before. My run today is going to be painful.

BumRush

Sodium question:

Olive oil, lemon, garlic and natural spices (rosemary, basil, thyme, etc.) are my low sodium go-to's.

BumRush

It adds up quick. I love garlic. But I had to resign myself from it.

This is from the perspective of someone who eats 17g of carbs a day, mind you.

Yeah, from a keto perspective you're right. But 1 gram of carbs in a clove of garlic is nothing to non-keto folks.

Surely one clove would be fine for most things though? I mean sure, you might put two or three in a big batch of something, but you wouldn't eat it in one go.

Far too many health benefits to just give it up I reckon. Also delicious.

Unrelated, another nightmare leg day over.

2015-07-2018.08.3108p4a.jpg

#holywater

Hit a comeback PR in the back squat this morning. Heaviest squat I've hit in more than 6 months.

https://instagram.com/p/5XWrsDOBo6/

Awesome. That music would drive me fucking nuts though.

Well... there was that one guy who fasted for over a year, so there is scope for improvement.

But he used vitamins... so he's clearly not hardcore enough.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Trying to get back into a regular training schedule (2x a week, complex exercises with free weights) after over half a year without training. Feels bad, man.

ILoveBish

Yeah, from a keto perspective you're right. But 1 gram of carbs in a clove of garlic is nothing to non-keto folks.

Ok that makes more sense.
but, definitely wouldn't ever classify it as HIGH carbs though :p

Sorry, I do get carried away at times. What really scared me from garlic was garlic powder. 1 tablespoon had like 6 carbs, and I was using it without concern before I found out. It says 0 on the bottle, but that's for 1/4 teaspoon.

Pretty soon Bish won't even consider it IF if you don't go over 144 hours!

144 hours is for noobs confirmed.

Well... there was that one guy who fasted for over a year, so there is scope for improvement.

But he used vitamins... so he's clearly not hardcore enough.

That guy made it 382 days. Obviously not in it to win it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I got my weighted vest last week and tried using it today. I'm not sure if it was the 90+ degrees and sunny weather, the fact that I hadn't walked/run since last Halloween, or that I started off with the entire 40 pounds, or a confluence of all of those factors, but that really made me feel utterly out of shape. Took 16 minutes to reach a mile, and by the time I was going uphill on the way home, I really felt like just sitting down. I think I sweated more in that one mile than I did during my 6 mile walk/runs last year. Lost about 2 pounds of water weight somehow.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Man it's amazing how much more cut up you look with a little color. Makes a huge difference.

Off to see Ant-Man! I was planning on having a mini cheat with a large kettle corn but after lifting today and digging how lean I am right now I decided against it. Yes, I know, huge rolleyes. Ha

BumRush

Man it's amazing how much more cut up you look with a little color. Makes a huge difference.

Off to see Ant-Man! I was planning on having a mini cheat with a large kettle corn but after lifting today and digging how lean I am right now I decided against it. Yes, I know, huge rolleyes. Ha

Haha! Jealous, btw. I'll be working late and really thought I'd be able to get out to see it tonight as well. Another night.

Some progress pics from when I started intermittent fasting in 2012. Cut down from 220lbs to 175. Lost a ton of strength from my bench press but manged to keep most of my strength in my other lifts. Goal now is to get my bench back while staying around 185.

sidecomp49uf2.jpg

frontcomp0oujg.jpg

backcompqzumu.jpg

Fucking machine.

Mirin.

Gamerloid

So my brother sent me this workout plan and wanted some help with it. I don't know what some of these things are, and I'm not sure if I should so I don't want to ask him lol. Example: Incline DB Press... I don't even know what DB is, but I figured dumbbell since it's fitness.

Keys
-Consistency: 4-8 weeks
-Eat more: 4-5 times
-1 minute to 1:30 of rest in between sets
-Plenty of sleep

Monday - Chest/Triceps
  • Chest Press (Flat Bench) + Triceps Ext. (Cable/Rope) 3 x 10
  • Incline DB Press + Overhead Ext. (DB) 3 x 10
  • Decline Bench Press + Dips (Assisted or No Assist) 3 x 10
  • 3 Sets of Push Ups to Failure

Wednesday - Back/Biceps
  • Lat. Ppulldowns + Bicep Curls 3 x 10
  • Lat. Rows Closed Grip + Hammer Curls 3 x 10
  • Machine Bent-Over Rows + Reverse Curls 3 x 10
  • 3 Sets of Push Ups to Failure

Friday - Legs/Shoulders
  • Squats + Sholder Press 3 x 10
  • Leg Press (Plate Loaded) + Lat./Ant/ Shoulders Raise 3 x 10
  • Deadlift + Reverse Fly 3 x 10
  • Calf Raises 4 x 10

BumRush

Gamerloid, what exactly do you want input on in this case? It's not terribly bad from an exercises done perspective (although I would change a few things like supersetting squats and OHP...that's just insane), but it stresses no sort of progression whatsoever. The programs in the OP are proven, but if you want to do this one and you give us more specific direction, we can help.

It's hard to give advice without knowing what you're confused about...

3x10 means 3 sets of 10 reps

the plus symbol(+) indicates that he wants you to do a superset.

for example, in the first exercise you would do 10reps of bench press immediately followed by 10 reps of tricep extensions.

ExRx, This page is a directory for virtually all exercises. Under the Exercise column, you just find the muscle group being worked. That will take you to a list of exercises, and if you choose the exercise your unsure about it will bring up a page describing the lift, with a gif demonstrating the form.

Heres the Incline DB Bench Press as an example.

Cooter

This coming from the guy who has a 10-pack and does zero ab workouts. :p

Have fun at Ant-Man.
Whatever Jean Claude Van Szu.

Thanks! Looking forward to it. Movies are so much more fun when you can take your kids and see them enjoy it.

Gamerloid

Gamerloid, what exactly do you want input on in this case? It's not terribly bad from an exercises done perspective (although I would change a few things like supersetting squats and OHP...that's just insane), but it stresses no sort of progression whatsoever. The programs in the OP are proven, but if you want to do this one and you give us more specific direction, we can help.
Actually, I think I'll follow the OP. I think my brother is trying to kill me lol.

That I wasn't clear on what I was asking about, you and Dusk solved it all.

It's hard to give advice without knowing what you're confused about...

3x10 means 3 sets of 10 reps

the plus symbol(+) indicates that he wants you to do a superset.

for example, in the first exercise you would do 10reps of bench press immediately followed by 10 reps of tricep extensions.

ExRx, This page is a directory for virtually all exercises. Under the Exercise column, you just find the muscle group being worked. That will take you to a list of exercises, and if you choose the exercise your unsure about it will bring up a page describing the lift, with a gif demonstrating the form.

Heres the Incline DB Bench Press as an example.

I didn't know what the plus symbol meant. Good to know. Thanks for the link, seems essential for nabs like me.

Well, seems like I have it all now. The only thing I haven't decided on is when to start. I go to my school's gym, so I might start when I begin University in Fall since campus will be closed since the summer semester ends soon.

Thanks.

The Chef

Dudes, I understand the idea behind doing a refeed on a lowcarb diet and having been on low carb for 2 weeks I can definitely appreciate it. But Im a bit curious as to why if I did my refeed on Sunday and just absolutely stuff my face, today I feel and look bigger and better and more cut?
I've seen a few times on IG of people posting "Photoshoot tomorrow, gonna eat some pizza tonight!". Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 whats exactly happening here?

Cooter

Dudes, I understand the idea behind doing a refeed on a lowcarb diet and having been on low carb for 2 weeks I can definitely appreciate it. But Im a bit curious as to why if I did my refeed on Sunday and just absolutely stuff my face, today I feel and look bigger and better and more cut?
I've seen a few times on IG of people posting "Photoshoot tomorrow, gonna eat some pizza tonight!". Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 whats exactly happening here?
I'm no bodybuilder or model but I believe the idea is it brings your veins out more and "fills" out your muscles. You will most definitely weigh more so I'm not sure it's fair to say you will come out looking more cut the following day but I could be completely wrong about that.

____

Oh, and TMONSTER, you look huge in the 220 pic and huge in the 175 pic! Jesus! I never looked that big at 220 and don't look that big at 175! Good shit man! FitGaf adds yet another beast! Unbelievable.

BumRush

I've always heard the cheese / dairy is a huge no no the day before a shoot. Is that wrong science nerds?

Azulsky

Look up contest/competition prep refeeding on google. Most of the discussion is going to lead to articles like this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

Its normally attributed to maintaining metabolism esp lowering leptin hormone levels(which inhbit fat loss). The carb dose specifically deals with refilling muscle glycogen. Whenever your body is depleted of something in a feedback cycle,like a diabetic going on keto becoming normal range insulin sensitive, your body can give a bigger response. So you get pretty filled up on that refeed and the muscle tissue gets bigger.

ELI5: If you are losing weight its to keep you losing weight, if you are about to show off dem gunz its to puff up the gunz.

ILoveBish

Gym went great today. Hit all my reps on everything including accessories. Did 3x245, 3x280 and 3x315 on squats. Still not used to heart rate being so wild while lifting.

Best part however was I hit the 10th belt hole on my gym belt! When I got the belt in Nov or Dec 2014, I barely could use the third belt hole. And for the entire gym session today, was in the 10th and final one. To say I'm pleased is a huge understatement. Great way to start the week. I'm going to post a pic of the belt all the way on later lol.

Insulin spike from carbs can lead to a pump, but it is short lived. You can do it with protein too, but eating bad carbs makes it easier. There are many protocols for CKD, but it depends what your goals are. If it's pure fat loss and no muscle loss, strict SKD is the most effective way. But if you're a walking 300 movie extra like cooter, then refeed days can be beneficial in many ways since the insulin spike can be huge and controlled for muscle growth.

Bodies are weird and wonderful.

J. Bravo

If you're just using garlic to flavor something and don't eat it, does it matter how many carbs it has? I only ask because I don't eat the cloves when cooking with them and never heard of that lol.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If you're just using garlic to flavor something and don't eat it, does it matter how many carbs it has? I only ask because I don't eat the cloves when cooking with them and never heard of that lol.

The amount of garlic necessary to get to any relevant amount of carbs would probably lead to your death through the self defense of the people around you anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
I never ever remove the garlic from what I'm cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom