• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I just got accused of having great genetics because a chick thought I was 23, not 37. I had to show my Id as proof lol. Slowly getting into cooter territory....

Nice bro lol.

People tell me I look 16 when I'm almost 25. Yay?

The Chef

Up .2lbs from the stress and lack of sleep lately. Thankfully as of now, things are back to normal. Today is bench 3s week and done lifting for the week.

Surely you cant seriously be concerned with .2lbs right? I bet I fluctuate 0.5-1lbs per day on average.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I just got accused of having great genetics because a chick thought I was 23, not 37. I had to show my Id as proof lol. Slowly getting into cooter territory....
lol

Next step is offering advice to a friend and being told that won't work for them because they don't have great genetics like you. Bonus points for them following it up by telling you that you don't work very hard.

Cooper

That's pretty good! Maybe the subtitle of the next OT should be "We'll make you genetically gifted."

I had my mini-adventure into Cooter territory yesterday. I went into the work gym, just to stretch out a bit after sitting at the desk for a while. For the hell of it, I decided to see how many pull-ups I could do cold. I did 5 neutral grip pull-ups before my arms gave, but that was enough to get a "Wow, you're strong!" comment from a co-worker. I think watching Cooter's muscle ups would give him a heart attack.

we beastmode now

ui8yOK5.jpg

ILoveBish

Gym went great today. Got 3x165 3x185 and 3x210 on bench easy. Only missed 1 rep on my heavy accessories, so I'm still OK with that.

I finished the week without the stevia to see if heart rate would improve, and it has till I get to the end of my accessories then it's on turbo mode from there. Next week I'll be having stevia with my coffee before the gym to see how things change.

Still rocking 1750 calories and really tired of eating. I'm so excited to 72 hour fast again soon.

Nice bro lol.

25 is still so young. Bet you recover like wolverine. Bastard.

Surely you cant seriously be concerned with .2lbs right? I bet I fluctuate 0.5-1lbs per day on average.

I just mention it to show that fat loss is up and down swings. A lot of people go up randomly and freak out. It's not linear as you know, so sharing my experience with how it's going.

lol

Next step is offering advice to a friend and being told that won't work for them because they don't have great genetics like you. Bonus points for them following it up by telling you that you don't work very hard.

One day people will downplay my hard work and blame genetics, and it will be glorious.

That's pretty good! Maybe the subtitle of the next OT should be "We'll make you genetically gifted."

I had my mini-adventure into Cooter territory yesterday. I went into the work gym, just to stretch out a bit after sitting at the desk for a while. For the hell of it, I decided to see how many pull-ups I could do cold. I did 5 neutral grip pull-ups before my arms gave, but that was enough to get a "Wow, you're strong!" comment from a co-worker. I think watching Cooter's muscle ups would give him a heart attack.

I started doing dead stop pull ups only now, and it's so good but so tough. Every time I go up to that bar, people watch to see if I'll fail. It's hilarious.

Phenomenal double entendre, Bish.

..... Wasn't intentional. Wish i was that clever!

FE, I am seeing veins brah, congrats, you've made it!

Matugi

Hit a double of 320 on squats then followed it up with a double of 365 on deads. Lower back feels great and is on fire. Next week is PR week then surgery the week after. Feeling like I can go out with a bang with a triplet of 290 on bench, 325 on squats, and 370 on deads

mdsfx

I'll just ignore my initial assumption and ask this question anyway. How many of those are you going to eat?

As a side note, who here has tried using barbecue sauce instead of ketchup on their dogs? It's delicious with mustard.

Edit. Don't forget the onion!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Okay everyone, I have a whole bunch of questions and things I want to discuss now that I've been doing SS for over a week.

First: I go to the gym with my dad and brother. They've both been going for most of their adult lives, and since I'm new, my approach differs from theirs. Mostly, they just show up and do whatever the fuck they feel like without any kind of method or tracking or basic thought. First they go and spend their energy BEFORE lifting on cardio activities. A game of basketball or a bike ride. Then they'll do something like 3 too-heavy bench reps, then 10 too-light bench reps, then 5-8 reps at an actual appropriate weight. Then they'll run straight to the fly machines because that "wasn't enough" for their chest. And any lift they do is always with piss poor form. Meanwhile, I'm trying to focus and do my squat + bp/ohp + dl in order with appropriate linear progression. They see me do one set of dl at a weight that is challenging for me, and they shake their heads at me and say, "I don't understand how just 5 of anything can even help you." And when I'm finished I just go for a brisk walk on the treadmill until they're finished goofing on the machines and whatnot.

When they speak to me about my routine, they say that what I'm doing isn't a "real workout" and they imply that I'm holding them back or wasting their time by asking them to spot me. I attempt to explain the point of compound lifts over machines, why I don't join them for cardio before lifting, etc. All they do is dismiss everything I say because they believe they do everything right and I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have their experience. Meanwhile, they complain about injuries and frustration with their lack of progress in increasing their strength. It's ridiculously frustrating to be around them. They speak to me in a condescending tone and my workout environment is extremely negative due to that. The problem I'm having is that none of my friends work out so I don't have a reliable partner outside of my immediate family. I don't really know how to solve this.

And second: my gym is an LA Fitness with way too many members and not enough lifting equipment. Most of the floor is for machines and no matter what time I go there's always sort of a line or crowd formed around the squat racks and benches. Why am I paying for a gym membership if I can't even do what I show up to do in a timely manner. Of course, when discussing this with my brother, he claims that if someone is using what he wants to use he'll just skip it and find something else to do. Again, I try to explain that sequence and consistency is integral to my ability to progress, which he just laughs off. Infuriating.

What do I do about these issues? I want to work out somewhere I can clear my mind and focus on self improvement, and be supported by people who understand my goals. Going to a big commercial chain crowded full of stubborn, uneducated doofuses is making this a struggle instead of fun.

mdsfx

Ohhh god yes. My wife had breakfast for dinner ready when I got home. She made egg/cheese keish, hash browns, sausage, and wheat protein pancakes. I only had 700 calories left for the day, but I ended up eating 6 eggs and 6+ large pancakes with maple syrup along with everything else. I couldn't help it and it feels great >)

Good thing I ran this morning...

BumRush

Okay everyone, I have a whole bunch of questions and things I want to discuss now that I've been doing SS for over a week.

First: I go to the gym with my dad and brother. They've both been going for most of their adult lives, and since I'm new, my approach differs from theirs. Mostly, they just show up and do whatever the fuck they feel like without any kind of method or tracking or basic thought. First they go and spend their energy BEFORE lifting on cardio activities. A game of basketball or a bike ride. Then they'll do something like 3 too-heavy bench reps, then 10 too-light bench reps, then 5-8 reps at an actual appropriate weight. Then they'll run straight to the fly machines because that "wasn't enough" for their chest. And any lift they do is always with piss poor form. Meanwhile, I'm trying to focus and do my squat + bp/ohp + dl in order with appropriate linear progression. They see me do one set of dl at a weight that is challenging for me, and they shake their heads at me and say, "I don't understand how just 5 of anything can even help you." And when I'm finished I just go for a brisk walk on the treadmill until they're finished goofing on the machines and whatnot.

When they speak to me about my routine, they say that what I'm doing isn't a "real workout" and they imply that I'm holding them back or wasting their time by asking them to spot me. I attempt to explain the point of compound lifts over machines, why I don't join them for cardio before lifting, etc. All they do is dismiss everything I say because they believe they do everything right and I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have their experience. Meanwhile, they complain about injuries and frustration with their lack of progress in increasing their strength. It's ridiculously frustrating to be around them. They speak to me in a condescending tone and my workout environment is extremely negative due to that. The problem I'm having is that none of my friends work out so I don't have a reliable partner outside of my immediate family. I don't really know how to solve this.

And second: my gym is an LA Fitness with way too many members and not enough lifting equipment. Most of the floor is for machines and no matter what time I go there's always sort of a line or crowd formed around the squat racks and benches. Why am I paying for a gym membership if I can't even do what I show up to do in a timely manner. Of course, when discussing this with my brother, he claims that if someone is using what he wants to use he'll just skip it and find something else to do. Again, I try to explain that sequence and consistency is integral to my ability to progress, which he just laughs off. Infuriating.

What do I do about these issues? I want to work out somewhere I can clear my mind and focus on self improvement, and be supported by people who understand my goals. Going to a big commercial chain crowded full of stubborn, uneducated doofuses is making this a struggle instead of fun.

Go without your dad and brother and find a gym more suited to your goals? Boom.

Szu

That's some hardcore Asian effect there. Some people still don't believe that I'm 41.

we beastmode now

Look at the power burning from the soul of this beast.

becefc15964d864ff2010f766c21c94d5dfa0905_hq.gif

I slowly scroll down the picture and I had no idea when the hotdogs would end.

TD2GRh.jpg

Faiz

Nice bro lol.

Definitely yay. I used to get annoyed by the same thing in my 20s. The guy at a concert guarding the beer tent flat out told me my ID was fake.

At almost 39, it's the best thing ever. You'll definitely appreciate it eventually.

SeanR1221

Came up with my own dessert.

2 tablespoons of peanutbutter
4 packets of artificial sweetener
1 scoop quest all purpose protein powder
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt.

Mix together In a dough. Form into cookie or ball shape. Freeze for a few hours.

Fucking delicious.

360 calories
16 fat
12 carbs
43 protein

I dunno how they'd turn out with other proteins. The quest multipurpose protein is very cakey. I don't bother mixing it with water to drink. I just use it for cooking.

mdsfx

Mix together In a dough. Form into cookie or ball shape. Freeze for a few hours.

Fucking delicious.

360 calories
16 fat
12 carbs
43 protein

I dunno how they'd turn out with other proteins. The quest multipurpose protein is very cakey. I don't bother mixing it with water to drink. I just use it for cooking.

Nice!! Going to try this

BumRush

Fucking delicious.

360 calories
16 fat
12 carbs
43 protein

Looks good, I'll give it a shot!

Sadetar

Oh yes, I am finally in a point when I feel that I can start to add the weights after the injury. Squats are still body weight and deadlifts forbidden, but other than that I would say I feel somewhat normal.

This also sounds very pathetic to all of you, but I was bench pressing today with the highest weight I have every used this far - two times 10 reps with 30 kilos / 66 pounds. Baby steps, but to the right direction. ^_^

My "not shredded, not concerned" elitefts tank top came in. It's PERFECT.
Brilliant!

And now pics or it didn't happen. :p

I can send you the list through PM this weekend if you want! It's a pretty basic low carb and low fat diet though. I actually changed mine a bit because they had fruit and bread servings on there and they weren't doing me any favours, so I took those away and added an extra protein and extra veggie serving :) But basically I have three servings of protein (ends up around 75-80g a day, chicken, white fish or shrimp, protein powders or Quest bars normally), and three servings (230g a serving) of veggies. There are some multi vitamins and potassium pills thrown in there as well. I also have some coffee, milk, Splenda, some condiments like soy sauce, and sometimes shirataki noodles in stir fries. I got a new blender so I've been having protein smoothies as well. It's decently low calorie and obviously not sustainable forever, but once I go on maintenance, I'll probably just add another protein (and PEANUT BUTTER lawd Jesus I miss peanut butter right now) and another veggie in there for 1000 or so calories a day (I gain at 1200, so... I know that's supposed to be the fewest you should eat but it just doesn't work for me) and be good. I'm rarely hungry because I eat so many veggies. :D

Then I will maintain on 1000 or so, try not to slip back into bad habits by having a cheat day every week or so, and hopefully keep it off this time! That first-office-job-weight-gain... I had kept off what I lost last time for almost two years but the office job got me lol.

Also, I have discovered the joys of Quest bars. Thank you for being delicious and getting my calories up, Quest bars. Omnomnom.

143.6 now... I've had to readjust my goal though. 13 more pounds now. ...My sister is losing weight too and said she was going to 130, so... <_< Obviously I have to as well. Lol.
Oh please PM the list to me! :D I eat significantly more than you do and I also eat nuts, extra virgin organic olive oil and hemp oil every day just to ensure I have the good fats that my body needs. I would still like to check the list if I would get some new ideas how to work with my diet.

I need to say that 1000 cals sounds pretty damn low for a day especially several days in a row. It is good that they are monitoring you three times a week and make sure you stay healthy. :) I am also sure that once you start to work out, get that engine up and running your lean mass will increase, your body will start to burn more calories in a day and you can up it to at least 1500. Hopefully they have a good maintaining program for you that would help you to get a quite regular easily maintanable diet. I must say I would be slightly worried, if you would be doing what you are doing unassisted, but now I am sure that they take good care of you and make sure you will have everything your body needs.

Hahaha, oh and I totally understand your goal readjusting. I would do the same if my little sister would be doing it as well. :p

I swear talking to these armenian chicks is going to give me a heart attack. I think i'll just avoid them all and stay single till i die and enjoy my 9% body fat goal once its achieved.
Lol. Come on, Armenian women are pretty damn hot (at least the ones I have seen pictures of). I am sure you would be missing out. :p

Even though any particular reason for this statement this time? :D

#teameasypeasyfasting
Ooooh, I must say it is getting easier and easier for me as well! I have 24-25 hours fast once in a while without even realising that I should eat. Then I just eat all the calories for a day on a one sitting and continue. Working out isn't an issue either it seems (then again I am using so low weights still).

You would have certainly got that same comment from me! I will be so happy when I can finally drop my weight so low and get my strenght to the level when I could do even one. :p

we beastmode now
britishpickles4.gif.gif

That's some hardcore Asian effect there. Some people still don't believe that I'm 32.
Don't worry. I do.

J. Bravo

That's some hardcore Asian effect there. Some people still don't believe that I'm 41.

Look at the power burning from the soul of this beast.

becefc15964d864ff2010f766c21c94d5dfa0905_hq.gif

I slowly scroll down the picture and I had no idea when the hotdogs would end.

TD2GRh.jpg
A+ pot post* Swype autocorrect yo

Zoe

So the past few weeks, bf has gotten these somewhat itchy lumps from the barbell after doing (high bar) squats. They don't hurt and I can push them around. They'll fade after a few days. He wears running shirts and wipes down the bar with the gym disinfectant.

Anybody ever get this? Anything he could do?

ILoveBish

Its genetics!

Lol. Come on, Armenian women are pretty damn hot (at least the ones I have seen pictures of). I am sure you would be missing out. :p

Even though any particular reason for this statement this time? :D

I'm going through the motions for an arranged marriage with an armenian girl, and each one i've been talking to so far has been really looney. I'd make a thread about it but gaf would shame me for wanting to marry within my race. But yah, everytime i'm talking to a new chick, its always the same things happening. They ain't married by now for a reason!

This last one was freakin gorgeous tho, exactly my type, skinny and long black hair with muscular definition. The reason i mention it is because my sleep schedule is destroyed everytime i end up talking with them. Which affects my entire fat loss plan. Done with this last one, so now i'm back to the grind.

So the past few weeks, bf has gotten these somewhat itchy lumps from the barbell after doing (high bar) squats. They don't hurt and I can push them around. They'll fade after a few days. He wears running shirts and wipes down the bar with the gym disinfectant.

Anybody ever get this? Anything he could do?

I've never gotten this, but i wipe down every bench and bar before i touch it at the gym. Some nasty people out there.

despire

The 48hr fast was easy as hell. Wasn't even super hungry when I actually broke the fast. Very visible changes in my midsection as well. Everything seems much tighter and I can feel my abs much better underneath. Feels like a ton of fat gone from there.

Lost 1,3kg weight which isn't even that much meaning I probably wasn't carrying as much water before hand as I normally am. Though most of the weight lost was water, maybe around a pound of fat. Also 2cm from my waist.

Edit: Clarified.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
25 is still so young. Bet you recover like wolverine. Bastard.

I may not have a great deal of experience but damn if muscles soreness and aches don't just vanish after 6 hours of rest. I don't wanna get old T_T.

ILoveBish

The 48hr fast was easy as hell. Wasn't even super hungry when I actually broke the fast. Very visible changes in my midsection as well. Everything seems much tighter and I can feel my abs much better underneath. Feels like a ton of fat gone from there.

Lost 1,3kg weight which isn't even that much meaning I probably wasn't carrying too much water before hand. Also 2cm from my waist.

Sounds excellent. I had to force myself to eat also. Learning to control hunger is a very big deal imo, once you control it vs your mind, things are just going to get easier and easier.

I may not have a great deal of experience but damn if muscles soreness and aches don't just vanish after 6 hours of rest. I don't wanna get old T_T.

It gets a lot worse. I go hard 4 days strait so i can have 3 days off to recover. By thursday im pretty beat up. Triceps were on fire today during bench.

Pancakes

4 days? God damn. I did 3 days straight once on SL5x5 and was completely exhausted afterwards.

ILoveBish

SL5x5 is a lot more volume then 5/3/1, which is what i do.

I felt my body telling me to get some protein in, it wasn't hunger, something totally different. Had about 6oz of smoked turkey breast deli meat. We'll see if thats enough.

4 days? God damn. I did 3 days straight once on SL5x5 and was completely exhausted afterwards.

Is this a common thing to do? I only say this because on of the people I know on a modified version of SL works out about 4-5 days a week. I think that's kind of crazy to be increasing that much a week with so little time to rest, but I also kind of want to do it too because I want to get to heavier weights in BP, and rows. So conflicted.

Pancakes

Is this a common thing to do? I only say this because on of the people I know on a modified version of SL works out about 4-5 days a week. I think that's kind of crazy to be increasing that much a week with so little time to rest, but I also kind of want to do it too because I want to get to heavier weights in BP, and rows. So conflicted.

I don't recommend it for beginners at all. Only reason I did it was because I needed to make up for missed workout sessions due to work and real life nonsense. I saw results from it yes but I also felt mentally and physically worn out from it and that's when injuries happen.

My buddy and I are probably gonna switch to a Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri workout schedule taking Friday, Wednesday, and weekends off. Decent volume and enough rest imo. I'm not rushing to get results, it's a marathon not a sprint.

PKrockin

Lost 1,3kg weight which isn't even that much meaning I probably wasn't carrying too much water before hand. Also 2cm from my waist.

Sounds excellent. I had to force myself to eat also. Learning to control hunger is a very big deal imo, once you control it vs your mind, things are just going to get easier and easier.
Any links to information on fasting you could share? Coincidentally I just went some 30 hours without eating just to see how hard it would it would be and I was actually a lot less hungry from 6 hours onward than I would have been had I eaten like usual. It was shockingly easy.

My cardio for yesterday involved getting lost coming back from the race track and walking for two hours. Because of that I also ended up fasting 24 hours... which wasn't my intent, but I'll take it.

Way too hot here though, don't know if I'm going to be able to work out in this heat. Feeling wrecked.

Edit - Just reading despire's post. 1.3kg is a huge amount to lose in 2 days (3lbs) so no way that a bunch wasn't water. I really doubt you ended up with the ~10,000kcal deficit that you'd need to actually burn that much fat.

despire

Any links to information on fasting you could share? Coincidentally I just went some 30 hours without eating just to see how hard it would it would be and I was actually a lot less hungry from 6 hours onward than I would have been had I eaten like usual. It was shockingly easy.

I'm not home so can't link anything I have saved but:

- LeanGains.com/Martin Berkhan is a good source
- Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon is an excellent AND citated source though you need to pony up some money if you wanna buy it.
-This free pdf: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting
-Warrior Diet is one version of IF

There's a ton of stuff online if you just search intermittent fasting/IF on google. I'm sure Bish can post links to those articles he's posted lately.

despire

Edit - Just reading despire's post. 1.3kg is a huge amount to lose in 2 days (3lbs) so no way that a bunch wasn't water. I really doubt you ended up with the ~10,000kcal deficit that you'd need to actually burn that much fat.

Yes most likely, sorry if I was unclear. I was mostly sitting on my ass those two days so my TDEE probably wasn't that high anyway. Maybe little over 2000kcal a day. So if my deficit was 4000-4500kcal from the fasting, minus the stuff I ate on thusday night, my overall deficit was probably around 3500-4000kcal. So maybe around a pound of fat lost in a best case scenario.

But impossible to know for sure. All I know I look a lot leaner than I did on tuesday :)

SeanR1221

Wow! If that is you on a regular day without a pump, I am totally impressed! You have changed so much in a relatively short time. Inspirational! Thanks for posting! :D

Hahah and oh, the top looks also really good on you. :)

Thank you :)

And 201 this morning! I'm coming for you 200

Mr. X

Days I don't go to the gym, fast til 4pm.
Days that I do go in the morning before work, eat breakfast lunch and dinner.

Good or nah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom