• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/3esp74/i_wanted_to_see_how_much_39g_of_sugar_actually/

It's sad how eye opening this was for so many. Have so much to go when it comes to nutrition.

pCmsLnV.jpg

Thats in one red bull? Plenty o' sugar!

BumRush

Height: 6ft2

Weight: 176 pounds

Goal: Lean with Abs

Current Training Schedule: Mainly just cardio: running, football (soccer in US) and tennis

Current Training Equipment Available:

Two 10KG dumbells that are my brothers, no gym until Uni in late September. Have some Protein Powder in the house too :p

What is the best way I can go? I'm thinking maybe alternating between HIIT and exercises such as press-ups, but what do I know... There's simply too much BS out there on the internet, could do with some friendly pointers in the right direction.

Thanks

Hey man, we love to help but it will be pretty difficult to with just 10kg DBs at your disposal. When you get to school let us know and we'll whip your ass into shape. Otherwise, keep it up with pushups, pull ups, weightless squats, hiit, sprints, etc. Also, if you have a couple of bucks laying around, invest in a resistance band. Lastly, if there is a playground or park near you, you can do damage there.

Hey man, we love to help but it will be pretty difficult to with just 10kg DBs at your disposal. When you get to school let us know and we'll whip your ass into shape. Otherwise, keep it up with pushups, pull ups, weightless squats, hiit, sprints, etc. Also, if you have a couple of bucks laying around, invest in a resistance band. Lastly, if there is a playground or park near you, you can do damage there.

Yeah, I realise they are pretty negligible weights but thought I'd mention them anyway as they are lying around in the house. I'll look into a resistance band, thanks!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Argh might need to narrow my low bar grip for squats or something. Weights been getting heavier and I think a wide grip is making me lose upper back tightness and forcing the weight onto my arms causing elbow pain in my left arm.

Need to experiment next training session.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Been a while since I've posted. Glad to see you are all keeping this thread active. I still read it often but find my time to post is more limited these days; getting closer and closer to wrapping up my PhD, so that keeps me busy.

Still hurting the weights about 3 times a week and biking a few hours weekly. Been feeling good until lately as I've had a sort of sharp pain in my right hip when I am descending for squats - doesn't hurt on the way back up, just going down. Taking 10 days off from the gym for vacation next week, so I'm hoping I'll recover in that time. Thankfully, no pain walking, sitting, standing, or lying down.

Keep up the hard work, ladies and gents.

Great to hear from you and see that you're doing well. Good luck on wrapping up the PhD!

Completely stalled on bench, only managed a single ar 295 but probably could've gotten a single at 300 because the single was like butter. Maybe this 3 week break will do some good, and I'll put in some better work on paused bench because I keep getting stuck in the dead zone.

You weigh 156 man. That is legit strong. A 2x bw bench is no joke and you are SO close. Go get it!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Just did my first sets of Face Pulls, Glute Ham Raises, Side Lateral raises and leg lifts for an accessories day.

I figure my whole body doesn't need two days off between compound days every week.

However, is there reason to do face pulls the day after heavy rows? I'd move it to the end of another day if that makes more sense.

SeanR1221

I'm gonna check out what Costco has next time I'm there.

pCmsLnV.jpg

Thats in one red bull? Plenty o' sugar!

That's what I drink sugar free. Now my wife is on it too! I'm switching between that and black coffee before working out.

J. Bravo

Apparently Matt Kroc is transgender. this is a huge shock.

Matt Kroc is now Janae Marie, do a Facebook search.
yeah i saw that. i hadn't hheard anything until today. she honestly looks like a male bodybuilder body with a female face lol. but good for her.
One 8.4oz Yellow Red Bull post workout is magical! No bias here whatsoever. None.

yo i love red bull. and monster. and all energy drinks. but i mostly do a shot of espresso beforehand and that's it nowadays.

symmetry problem

so my upper inner chest is more develop than the other side which exercise should I do to target that? I'm also guessing it should be lighter weight and higher rep?

BumRush

Thanks, but more so in your opinion than 345x1?

And today FS felt better than it has in a long time. Gonna hit 405 again soon I think.

Probably not, but there's something about having to do 300 lbs 3 times with the bar awkwardly resting on your chest that takes both muscular and mental fortitude...if that makes any sense

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Any of you traveling a lot? What do you do with your workout? I tried to bring some resistance bands (bodylastics) with me. Problem is that it really depends on the Hotel room whether you can attach them in a suitable place or not.

BumRush

Any of you traveling a lot? What do you do with your workout? I tried to bring some resistance bands (bodylastics) with me. Problem is that it really depends on the Hotel room whether you can attach them in a suitable place or not.

I travel a lot for work. When I do, I try to go to the fitness room and make do no matter what (many hotels I stay at have 50 lbs DBs, some machines, a smith machine and a pull up bar) so I can get by to an extent). I hit volume instead of weight and treat it as a deload of sorts.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I travel a lot for work. When I do, I try to go to the fitness room and make do no matter what (many hotels I stay at have 50 lbs DBs, some machines, a smith machine and a pull up bar) so I can get by to an extent). I hit volume instead of weight and treat it as a deload of sorts.

Problem is that the hotels I stay at usually don't have one, and if they have, they usually just have cardio machines and some shitty multi-exercise stations. Fitness rooms are not as common here in Europe, unless the hotel is a wellness/recreation hotel at the end of the world.

BumRush

Problem is that the hotels I stay at usually don't have one, and if they have, they usually just have cardio machines and some shitty multi-exercise stations. Fitness rooms are not as common here in Europe, unless the hotel is a wellness/recreation hotel at the end of the world.

Then definitely bring a resistance tube and do a bodyweight circuit plus resistance work. It's not a replacement for heavy lifting but it's easily better than nothing.

Anything comparable to planet fitness by you? $20 a month and you can use thousands of them around the country. Nice to have a membership for when you're in a pinch as a secondary gym.

Somebody said I looked "hella buff" today. Don't think I'm anywhere near that but I guess there's a big difference between how I look now and how I looked 4 months ago. Still made me feel good though, so it looks like what I'm doing is working. That is all

Leeness

Oh please PM the list to me! :D I eat significantly more than you do and I also eat nuts, extra virgin organic olive oil and hemp oil every day just to ensure I have the good fats that my body needs. I would still like to check the list if I would get some new ideas how to work with my diet.

I need to say that 1000 cals sounds pretty damn low for a day especially several days in a row. It is good that they are monitoring you three times a week and make sure you stay healthy. :) I am also sure that once you start to work out, get that engine up and running your lean mass will increase, your body will start to burn more calories in a day and you can up it to at least 1500. Hopefully they have a good maintaining program for you that would help you to get a quite regular easily maintanable diet. I must say I would be slightly worried, if you would be doing what you are doing unassisted, but now I am sure that they take good care of you and make sure you will have everything your body needs.

Hahaha, oh and I totally understand your goal readjusting. I would do the same if my little sister would be doing it as well. :p

I will PM you that list, once I get it scanned. I don't have a scanner at home so debating using the work scanner vs one at my parents.

Haha, 1000 will be my maintenance. I don't think I could ever go to 1500 without gaining. I couldn't even eat at 1200 without gaining. I'm okay with that though, it's all going to be protein, veggies and nuts/butter/olive or coconut oil, etc. :D

Looool, yep, gotta compete with my sister. 12 more pounds! It was my last day at the clinic now until I get the weight off. Can't pay for it anymore because my insurance is screwing me over. Oh well. I can do it without the vitamin shots. They said to add an extra protein. Which means Quest bar! :D Haha.

ILoveBish

I will PM you that list, once I get it scanned. I don't have a scanner at home so debating using the work scanner vs one at my parents.

Haha, 1000 will be my maintenance. I don't think I could ever go to 1500 without gaining. I couldn't even eat at 1200 without gaining. I'm okay with that though, it's all going to be protein, veggies and nuts/butter/olive or coconut oil, etc. :D

Looool, yep, gotta compete with my sister. 12 more pounds! It was my last day at the clinic now until I get the weight off. Can't pay for it anymore because my insurance is screwing me over. Oh well. I can do it without the vitamin shots. They said to add an extra protein. Which means Quest bar! :D Haha.

Quest bars can be iffy. Having one kicks me out of ketosis. Does for a lot of /r/keto also. But it also doesn't do it for a lot of others. It is completely YMMV.

Leeness

Quest bars can be iffy. Having one kicks me out of ketosis. Does for a lot of /r/keto also. But it also doesn't do it for a lot of others. It is completely YMMV.

It seems to be okay--the clinic always tells me I'm "burning really well" when they test me :D

Man, I do 1000-1200 maybe twice a week, and it's not easy. I can eat more than that in one meal (and often do). Thank goodness for one meal a day.

Hope it works out for you, it's definitely not easy to pull off consistently.

Navi

Has anyone ever tried that method of adding two inches to their chest in less than a month? I read it somewhere on Muscle and Strength I believe. Just trying to see if it's realistically possible lol

ILoveBish

It seems to be okay--the clinic always tells me I'm "burning really well" when they test me :D

That really means nothing. Every body is different and will react differently to the quest bar due to the stuff inside of it. I'm just letting you know so if you run into issues, you'll know where to look. Hopefully you'll be fine.

ILoveBish

Got new melatonin from Costco that has really been working for me. Sleep has finally improved. It's designed to evaporate in your mouth without water. Up .2 this morning, nothing concerning. I've also noticed that as I get leaner, it's much easier to get back into ketosis if I stray a bit.

Edit - Scratch that, i took a quick nap and pee'd again, down to 228.4, so down .6.

Azulsky

Dragon flag is more of a negative rep than a raise. You want your only point of contact with the bench to be the shoulders.

You can just search "Bruce Lee dragon flag" on YouTube and get a video. You just progress by holding them longer before failure.

Great ab exercise

Howdy fitgaf, inspired by the recent full body workout thread I have decided to get back into the gym. I just dont have the time for 5 day splits which is why I quit.

Anyway, I have never done full body so I need opinions on this program I found online

3 day a week, for 2 weeks do 3 sets of 12 reps then switch to 4 sets of 8 then 5 sets of 5.

4 compound exercises + 2 isolation exercise per workout so 6 exercises in total

Its the first workout on this sitehttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw101.htm, can I plz get some opinions on this. It sounds awesome to me

Dragon flag is more of a negative rep than a raise. You want your only point of contact with the bench to be the shoulders.

You can just search "Bruce Lee dragon flag" on YouTube and get a video. You just progress by holding them longer before failure.

Great ab exercise

ah. okay. i just checked pictures of bruce lee doing it. on youtube everyone was doing it all differently so i didn't really go with that.i'll try again today and see how it goes.

Leeness

Man, I do 1000-1200 maybe twice a week, and it's not easy. I can eat more than that in one meal (and often do). Thank goodness for one meal a day.

Hope it works out for you, it's definitely not easy to pull off consistently.

Eh, I'm a small lady, 1200 used to be what I normally did and sometimes I'd struggle to hit even that. And still gained weight lol. 1000 will be easier to hit, I should hopefully not gain at 1000, all good. :)

That really means nothing. Every body is different and will react differently to the quest bar due to the stuff inside of it. I'm just letting you know so if you run into issues, you'll know where to look. Hopefully you'll be fine.

I'll keep it in mind, but I've been eating them for about a month now and seems okay. But yes, if anything slows down, they'll be the first to go :) Thanks for the tip.

BumRush

Howdy fitgaf, inspired by the recent full body workout thread I have decided to get back into the gym. I just dont have the time for 5 day splits which is why I quit.

Anyway, I have never done full body so I need opinions on this program I found online

3 day a week, for 2 weeks do 3 sets of 12 reps then switch to 4 sets of 8 then 5 sets of 5.

4 compound exercises + 2 isolation exercise per workout so 6 exercises in total

Its the first workout on this sitehttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw101.htm, can I plz get some opinions on this. It sounds awesome to me

Hey, I just read it quickly and it doesn't make that much sense to me (could be missing something since I just browsed):

DAY 1 - 4X8
Squats
Bench Press
Pullups
Military Press
Barbell Curls
Ab Roller

DAY 3 - 5X5
Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
Lateral Raises
Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
Hammer Curls

DAY 5 - 3X12
Lunges
Dips
Chin-ups
Push Press
Seated Calf Raises
Plate Twists

Why are you doing 4X8, 5X5 and 3X12 in the same week, with different exercises?? Also, 5X5 deadlifts might kill you.

Most importantly, what's the progression scheme?

Hey, I just read it quickly and it doesn't make that much sense to me (could be missing something since I just browsed):

Why are you doing 4X8, 5X5 and 3X12 in the same week, with different exercises?? Also, 5X5 deadlifts might kill you.

Most importantly, what's the progression scheme?
Thanks for reply, yeah that doesnt make sense to me either which is why im going to do 3x12 for 2 weeks then 4x8 for 2 weeks then finally 5x5. Deadlifts will indeed kill me so im going to do them once a week.

I dont know what u mean by progression scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom