• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

That was a shiiiiit workout. I'm utterly wrecked, not really sure why.

Squatting with numbers I should have handled easily and I was all over the place.

Anyone here have suggestions for a quality multivitamin? Smaller the better.

This is quite long but worth a read: Why multi vitamins don't work and may be bad for you

There's plenty of figures in the article on the effects of different supplements. Here's one snippet:

A study published in 2007 from the US National Cancer Institute, for instance, found that men that took multivitamins were twice as likely to die from prostate cancer compared to those who didn't. And in 2011, a similar study on 35,533 healthy men found that vitamin E and selenium supplementation increased prostate cancer by 17%.

sphinx

the piano man
That was a shiiiiit workout. I'm utterly wrecked, not really sure why.

Squatting with numbers I should have handled easily and I was all over the place.

age maybe? :/

I have solid workouts but it's all a far cry from what I was doing some years back.

I just assumed that's what happens as we get older, we don't go up but down in terms of strength.

I am turning 40 this year so....

I suspect it's got more to do with the calorie restriction at the moment. It has got significantly more difficult as I've got older though.

just in full blown fat mode

jjLUkzI.jpg

Made up for the shitty deadlift day trying to find my new 1rm the other day I did a redo today. Ended up pulling 420 today. 425 slipped out my hand but I'll take 420. Last 1 was 410 which was several months ago. So I'll take it

Matt

Someone want to critique my workout? I'm not trying to get particularly big or anything, just build some muscle. I also just have dumbbells and don't plan on getting anything else, at least for now. Everything I do (or try to do) as 3 sets of 12. When I can hit that, I raise the weight. I go Monday Wensday Friday, in this order;

Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Military Press
Upright Row
Dead Lifts
Tricep Press
Chest Press
Lunges
Calf Raises

That's me trying to hit all the major areas. Yes, I know I'm missing abs (which are hugely important, I know). So if anyone wants to recommend an ab workout to add, please do. What else am I doing wrong/should I change? I have noticed a huge improvement in my body already. Right now my biggest problem is that this takes so long to run through each time.

Any thoughts?

KillerBEA

That's me trying to hit all the major areas. Yes, I know I'm missing abs (which are hugely important, I know). So if anyone wants to recommend an ab workout to add, please do. What else am I doing wrong/should I change? I have noticed a huge improvement in my body already. Right now my biggest problem is that this takes so long to run through each time.

Any thoughts?

Planks and Side Planks for abs.

KillerBEA

Ok, what would be the best way to incorporate those? I just tried them, I can do 'em. What's the right duration and number of reps?

Probably something like 3 sets, and aim for a minute each set. Anything more than 2 minutes per set is a waste of time, imo.

Standard planks will almost certainly get too easy very quickly, so plan on swapping them out at some point. Dynamic movements work better.

It's definitely an area I could do with spending more time on. Is important for particularly long endurance events as I've had the area get really worn out in the past.

mdsfx

Signed up for an indoor cycling time trial in 2 weeks. I'm gonna get wrecked lol.

This is where I find out that any progress I've made has been almost insignificant, which I actually like in some ways. It's like playing through a videogame you love and don't want to ever end, only to discover the there are a crapload of bonus levels.

BumRush

Bulk mode looks good on you though. I started cutting [fasted boxing conditioning/HIIT] yesterday because I start traveling [mostly warm beach areas] again starting March and of course I want to be more agile.

You're the best, dude. Most people cut during beach season for aesthetic reasons. You're so far passed that, that you're concerned about...agility. Lol, keep it up bud!

Someone want to critique my workout? I'm not trying to get particularly big or anything, just build some muscle. I also just have dumbbells and don't plan on getting anything else, at least for now. Everything I do (or try to do) as 3 sets of 12. When I can hit that, I raise the weight. I go Monday Wensday Friday, in this order;

Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Military Press
Upright Row
Dead Lifts
Tricep Press
Chest Press
Lunges
Calf Raises

Any thoughts?
Generally you want to start off with the harder exercises. In your case,that Deadlifts and Lunges.

Upright rows can be hard on the joints, so if you ever notice pain or soreness in the wrist or shoulder areas. I would swap the Upright rows for Lat Pulldowns, or Chinups, or Pullups.

This is the order I suggest doing the exercises in:

Deadlift
Lunge
Calf raises
Chest Press
Military Press
Tricep Press
Upright Row
Bicep Curl
Hammer Curl

I imagine FE rides to the gym on horseback shirtless

In other news, deadlifted 465x4 @RPE 8.5 today

haha, all that bouncing is not a good look on me

Bulk mode looks good on you though. I started cutting [fasted boxing conditioning/HIIT] yesterday because I start traveling [mostly warm beach areas] again starting March and of course I want to be more agile.

Thanks dood! I always feel like I look better in person and I plan to bulk it out for the next 8 or so weeks before cutting. Trust me, your look is going to be my endgame this summer. I won't get there but I will still try! Until then, call me Rusev Jr.

latest

What headphone does everyone use at the gym? I am looking to get some new ones. I have bluetooth ear buds right now but they sometimes fall out when I run on the treadmill. I want something that goes over the head, I don't care too much about sound because I'm usually listening to podcasts anyway some music hear and there. I also don't want to spend a ton of money on beats. any suggestions on something not too expensive that's bluetooth somewhat breathable that works for them?

Hey fitness gaf!

Any recommendations on better fitness/diet apps?
Currently using both my fitness pal and lose it. I use JEFIT and the activity app on my iPhone. Trying to see which syncs and works better from the two before sticking to just one.

Appreciate any pointers

ACE 1991

Hey fitness gaf!

Any recommendations on better fitness/diet apps?
Currently using both my fitness pal and lose it. I use JEFIT and the activity app on my iPhone. Trying to see which syncs and works better from the two before sticking to just one.

Appreciate any pointers

I started using the app Progression on Android. It's good and simple and it doesn't seem to constantly be fighting with me like Jetfit.

Matt

Generally you want to start off with the harder exercises. In your case,that Deadlifts and Lunges.

Upright rows can be hard on the joints, so if you ever notice pain or soreness in the wrist or shoulder areas. I would swap the Upright rows for Lat Pulldowns, or Chinups, or Pullups.

This is the order I suggest doing the exercises in:

Deadlift
Lunge
Calf raises
Chest Press
Military Press
Tricep Press
Upright Row
Bicep Curl
Hammer Curl
Ok, I can change the order to that.

Would there be any benefit to me adding squats to the regimen?

Ok, I can change the order to that.

Would there be any benefit to me adding squats to the regimen?

Squats are similar to Deadlifts and Lunges, so If you wanted to add them, I would consider subtracting one of the others.

Squats can be a lot easier on your back than deadlifts for instance. And depending on your form, a better workout for your quads.

vypek

When it comes to dumbbell deadlifts and squats, the positions I see for them seem so close together that when I try them I always feel like my form is always wrong for whichever I am trying. Maybe doing squats while holding the dumbbells up is better.

Matt

Squats are similar to Deadlifts and Lunges, so If you wanted to add them, I would consider subtracting one of the others.

Squats can be a lot easier on your back than deadlifts for instance. And depending on your form, a better workout for your quads.
Deadlifts don't bother me, and I'm making progress with the lunges, so I guess I'll leave squats out.

Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Military Press
Upright Row
Dead Lifts
Tricep Press
Chest Press
Lunges
Calf Raises

Any thoughts?
the workout takes long? why not try full body workouts with compound movements?

ILoveBish

Nice night tonight, 170x2 on OHP. For sure had a 3rd in me but I had lots of accessories to hit after. Really good start to this 1s week.

Bleh, I hate Wednesdays. Two a day training takes so much time out of your day.

Just finished my hour long turbo trainer session, then two hours in the gym later (hour of mobility / warmup work, hour of weights).

Realistically speaking... what are the types of gains I should be getting with Starting Strength in relation to my body weight? Meaning...which exercise should I see myself plateauing first? I'm using the app and have been making my way up using their weight sets

My weight is 220 and right now my weights are:

Squat : 210
Press : 145
Deadlift : 210
Bench : 155

Haven't been doing the power cleans because I have a janky knee and I'm afraid it'll pop out lol

Realistically speaking... what are the types of gains I should be getting with Starting Strength in relation to my body weight? Meaning...which exercise should I see myself plateauing first? I'm using the app and have been making my way up using their weight sets

My weight is 220 and right now my weights are:

Squat : 210
Press : 145
Deadlift : 210
Bench : 155

Haven't been doing the power cleans because I have a janky knee and I'm afraid it'll pop out lol

Your body weight might go up at first, mostly due to muscle gain, it's a good thing believe me. Depending on your diet, you might lose a bit of weight after about 2 months.

You'll definitely plateau on the overhead press first.

Looking at your weights, are you using leg drive to lift on the overhead press? It's abnormally high compared to your other lifts. Your legs have to be completely immobile throughout the lift, using only your shoulders to press the weight upwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3QY5vMz_6I

If you're already pressing 145 with proper technique, you have some crazy shoulder strength in you, but I would doubt that.

light squat and some core work because i start the program friday which calls for bench and squat. i had to do it this way so i don't end up with bench on monday because... monday is chest day ;P

Ixian

If you're already pressing 145 with proper technique, you have some crazy shoulder strength in you, but I would doubt that.
I was thinking this same thing when reading the post, especially when looking at it in relation to the other lifts. :p

Last month of bulking for me! I was definitely more relaxed with my diet than I would've liked but all of the extra energy from eating so much and the effects it had on my lifts got addictive. Gotta get my body ready for Coachella and summer time here in San Diego. :)

Top Bottom