• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

kris.

Banned
yo so i've been doing starting strength this past month or so. i haven't been able to go as consistently as i'd like but i'm going at least twice a week, but school/life stuff keeps popping up.

workout a
squat 3x5
bench 3x5
deadlift 1x5

workout b
squat 3x5
press 3x5
deadlift 1x5

progress has looked something like
squat - 85 -> 155 as of last night
bench - 105 -> 165 as of last night
deadlift - garbage nothing -> 175 as of last night
press - 75 -> 105 as of friday night

feeling pretty good right now! except that press. press hurts.

sU1Qzyy.jpg

look good, feel good

Yo, my gym finally separated the squat rack from the deadlift platform. They used to be connected which made things a pain when peak time had everyone trying to squat and you had to awkwardly stand in front of them to deadlift.

Shy Fingers

Banned
I started Stronglifts 5x5 a month ago as a way of going to the gym with my fiance who is looking to get back in shape. Now I've always been a scrawny nerd, so this has been quite the experience for me.

The biggest thing is squats. Apparently I went my whole life without using my legs. I felt pretty bad about doing the first day of squats with just the bar and being so sore the next day. My legs were actually sore until about the end of week 2 then it kind of just went away.

I know its not much, but if you would have told me a moth ago after that day I'd be going to do 120 tonight, I would have probably laughed at you. Slowly but surely I suppose.

TheFlow

Banned
I started Stronglifts 5x5 a month ago as a way of going to the gym with my fiance who is looking to get back in shape. Now I've always been a scrawny nerd, so this has been quite the experience for me.

The biggest thing is squats. Apparently I went my whole life without using my legs. I felt pretty bad about doing the first day of squats with just the bar and being so sore the next day. My legs were actually sore until about the end of week 2 then it kind of just went away.

I know its not much, but if you would have told me a moth ago after that day I'd be going to do 120 tonight, I would have probably laughed at you. Slowly but surely I suppose.
Good shit.

Another four days of mountain biking done... made good progress but back to the grind now.

Need to really focus on my weights because I already know that I've lost a lot of strength.

Deloading or Unloading is good; losing strength and not size is cool, unless you need the strength for your profession, because your body will grown based on your current conditions.

crpav

ggkPN5Sm.jpg

Ripped a callous on one of my back off sets.

Know those feels but I have to confess I have not done deadlifts or squats in a long time.

I did rip a huge callus on my left hand over a week ago hitting pop flies at softball practice. That was a Sunday and Monday is my bench and triceps day. I lifted through the pain without anything. Wednesday was back day and lifted through that as well.

I then picked up some new skin and applied that for Friday and worked wonders. 2 coats and didn't feel a thing during bicep, shoulder and tricep day.

Deloading or Unloading is good; losing strength and not size is cool, unless you need the strength for your profession, because your body will grown based on your current conditions.

Hard to really say what's going on right now, pretty much been 8 or so days of solid cycling with only a couple of days off in between. I just feel totally drained... and sadly looking fairly shitty because as usual after tons of cycling, if feels like my skin no longer fits properly.

I love it... but yeah, it's hard to balance with general aesthetics and strength.

So I stopped by anytime fitness with the deadlift platform loved the place. It's very much customer driven place. Taking suggestions from members and adding on to the gym. they added on a CrossFit like room with several squat racks. Which you can do deadlifts and all that and bench press. Bumper plates!!!!. They have bands. Got chains. And they even let you use chalk. They even bought liquid chalk!!!! It's only busy of the cardio machine area Everything else especially the squat rack area is never busy.

Loved it so much I signed up today. And it's 24 hours.

And they have a tanning room lol
And that awesome hamstring machine
But yeah. You get best of both world and regular monthly gym fee. So good. Tomorrow I am going back for deadlifts and squats to test it out. Super excited lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Decided to go heavy on squats today. Stopped at 405x1. Probably had another 20lbs tops.

Back to working out consistently again after taking time off to study for boards and to relax after taking that stupid fucking test. Had to deload by a considerable amount though which sucks because I felt really strong and my lifts were pretty good for me. Trying to really focus on chest this time around since my bench sucks.

I think my squats last Friday were a tad too heavy. I've had some groin pain on the left side since Saturday. It's slowly getting better but it is unpleasant all the same. Anybody else had similar experiences? I think i'll skip my lower body work this week.

KillerBEA

So I stopped by anytime fitness with the deadlift platform loved the place. It's very much customer driven place. Taking suggestions from members and adding on to the gym. they added on a CrossFit like room with several squat racks. Which you can do deadlifts and all that and bench press. Bumper plates!!!!. They have bands. Got chains. And they even let you use chalk. They even bought liquid chalk!!!! It's only busy of the cardio machine area Everything else especially the squat rack area is never busy.

Loved it so much I signed up today. And it's 24 hours.

And they have a tanning room lol
And that awesome hamstring machine
But yeah. You get best of both world and regular monthly gym fee. So good. Tomorrow I am going back for deadlifts and squats to test it out. Super excited lol

Plus after a month you have access to every any Anytime Fitness around the globe. I have my membership with them and frequent two different ones. One closer to home and one closer to work and school. The one closer my work and school just remodeled too, a lot more space but still only have one Power Rack.

JoeNut

I think my squats last Friday were a tad too heavy. I've had some groin pain on the left side since Saturday. It's slowly getting better but it is unpleasant all the same. Anybody else had similar experiences? I think i'll skip my lower body work this week.

from my (limited) experience skipping the work can make it worse as you'll get DOM's real bad next week. Instead try a deload.

BumRush

Had a checkup yesterday and my BP was a rock solid 122 / 72. I know that's a very different goal than a lot of folks in here but I'm absolutely thrilled! Lowering it without medication is hard work.

Plus after a month you have access to every any Anytime Fitness around the globe. I have my membership with them and frequent two different ones. One closer to home and one closer to work and school. The one closer my work and school just remodeled too, a lot more space but still only have one Power Rack.
Yeah. I have one by the house but it's pretty small. I haven't stopped by to see what they have. I'll probBly still keep la fitness too

Szu

Had a checkup yesterday and my BP was a rock solid 122 / 72. I know that's a very different goal than a lot of folks in here but I'm absolutely thrilled! Lowering it without medication is hard work.

Congrats, Bum. I'm still working on lowering mine. I've got to find those tips you gave me a while back about ways to lower BP.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My new goal is 121/71. ;)

Awesome news!

The Chef

Ok now Im getting annoyed.
Last summer I was definitely at my peak. Weighed around 185-187.
This summer I decided to really try and cut hard and get some really visible abs.
My workouts have been at the same intensity as they always have been and I have been eating at a deficit for 3 months now.
This morning I weighed myself and I was 176. I am down 10 lbs....and even now my abs are really not that much more noticeable than they were last summer. So now I just feel really deflated overall. Like maybe I just did this cut very poorly.

Hi everyone.

I could use some help. I have always been a good sprinter, but terrible at distance. I want to be able to run a 5k. I don't care how fast it is, I just want to run the whole thing. This morning I went for a run and couldn't even go 1/2 mile before I had to stop and walk. I can run the 100m in less than 12.5 seconds, but I can't even run a half mile without stopping to take a break. It's really bothering me how bad my endurance is.

Any advice on how to improve my endurance or lung capacity? Running seems to fall under the "fitness" umbrella so I figured this'd be a good place to ask.

Hi everyone.

I could use some help. I have always been a good sprinter, but terrible at distance. I want to be able to run a 5k. I don't care how fast it is, I just want to run the whole thing. This morning I went for a run and couldn't even go 1/2 mile before I had to stop and walk. I can run the 100m in less than 12.5 seconds, but I can't even run a half mile without stopping to take a break. It's really bothering me how bad my endurance is.

Any advice on how to improve my endurance or lung capacity? Running seems to fall under the "fitness" umbrella so I figured this'd be a good place to ask.

the running thread might be helpful. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436255

How early was that? It looks pleasantly empty.

that area doesn't get busy tbh. the cardio room is where most of the people hang out. maybe the free weights area. this area is totes empty from what the staff says. it was around 6 or so when i think i took the video.

and there's no safety bar or anything so you have to either have a spot or learn to not kill yourself. lol
luckily you can drop the weights which i'm loving.

Top Bottom