• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

ParityBit

Does anyone have a link to a good dumb bell workout? Something with leg work (using the bells) also.

I am just looking to loose some poundage and tone. Unfortunately I do not have time to get to a gym, so quicker (30 min- hour) at home workouts is what I am interested in. I do not want/need to look like Arnold!

Does anyone have a link to a good dumb bell workout? Something with leg work (using the bells) also.

I am just looking to loose some poundage and tone. Unfortunately I do not have time to get to a gym, so quicker (30 min- hour) at home workouts is what I am interested in. I do not want/need to look like Arnold!

Maybe look at something like P90X? You wont get particularly strong off the back of it, but it'll certainly work as an all over workout.

KillerBEA

Pretty ecstatic about my progress this week. Added 10 pounds to my 1 rep max for Back Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. Super stoked that I hit 315 on Deadlift

That's an Anytime? Wow. If the anytime by me had that I'd likely have never built a home gym.

It's impressive for sure. The 3 I have been to are nothing like that.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Been dicking around for the last month or so with too many cheat days while having a few strict ones scattered in. Midsection wasn't up to my liking. Currently on my 5th day of sub 1500 calories and it's getting there. Should be back to 10% range in about a week.

That's an Anytime? Wow. If the anytime by me had that I'd likely have never built a home gym.

yeah. i didn't know about it. i've been searching for a powerlifting gym for a friend but the issue with those are it's rare to find one and i did find one but it was a bit pricey for her. and crossfit gyms are well... like 3x the price of that lol

the gym originally didn't have that room when they first started. the only thing they had was the deadlift platform and a single squat rack when they owner bought the place. everything was added later and they take yearly suggestions about what members might like to have there. there's a $35 yearly fee for that which is cool. owner seems like a good guy. actually knows how to fix some stuff if the machine breaks. reupholstering those machines though every so often. it never looks like it's been used lol.

this is the restroom in that crossfit area (don't mind the

es4dYGA.jpg

i wonder what the shower looks like there lol.

here's the gym link with photo

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1063380993678324.1073741827.285531888129909&type=3

i guess these are the most recent (well not recent. they've added a few more flat benches in the crossfit room), the hamstring thingy, logs, and trap bar.

the great thing is it's never busy!

Nice. At least, your gym actually follows its name. It really is opened anytime.

There's a 24 Hour Fitness near me that closes at 11 pm. :p
wait. what. lol. i was going to say.. staff hours but they actually close? weirdos. owner doesn't know what 24 hour means i guess.

also the location.. there's a donut shop next to them. sonic and a sushi place in the vicinity. (y)

mdsfx

Been dicking around for the last month or so with too many cheat days while having a few strict ones scattered in. Midsection wasn't up to my liking. Currently on my 5th day of sub 1500 calories and it's getting there. Should be back to 10% range in about a week.

Quoting bc i went through the same shit. Super strict now and shedding fat finally. Saturdays have become less fun, but that's ok.

M52B28

Banned
I need some advice on getting the rest of my extra weight off. I've been in this thread before, but I've reached a plateau.

Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 229 lbs
Goal: Around 190 lbs-200 lbs
Current Training Schedule: 3 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: I go to my school gym.
Comments:

I've lost about 40 lbs since last February. I got down to 224 lbs in March, but I balooned back up to 230 lbs. I've been eating unhealthy as of late, but I've just gotten my previous diet back.

I want to get to 190 lbs - 200 lbs by the end of summer or at least early September.

When I lost my first amount of weight, I was lifting weights and doing cardio. I would lift weights more than doing cardio. That said, I have a pretty muscular build, but I still have big soft spots 😐😐.

How should I go along with this to get my body back into the mode that it was in just a few months ago?

Fox318

I need some advice on getting the rest of my extra weight off. I've been in this thread before, but I've reached a plateau.

Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 229 lbs
Goal: Around 190 lbs-200 lbs
Current Training Schedule: 3 days a week
Current Training Equipment Available: I go to my school gym.
Comments:

I've lost about 40 lbs since last February. I got down to 224 lbs in March, but I balooned back up to 230 lbs. I've been eating unhealthy as of late, but I've just gotten my previous diet back.

I want to get to 190 lbs - 200 lbs by the end of summer or at least early September.

When I lost my first amount of weight, I was lifting weights and doing cardio. I would lift weights more than doing cardio. That said, I have a pretty muscular build, but I still have big soft spots 😐😐.

How should I go along with this to get my body back into the mode that it was in just a few months ago?

How are you tracing your diet?

theytookourjobz

I know CrossFit doesn't have a ton of fans here but the regional qualifiers for the CrossFit games start this weekend. The events are fucking crazy and I think it'll be pretty awesome to watch regardless of whether or not you are down with CF. The first day has an event with 40 strict muscle ups and 70 strict handstand push-ups and later that day there's a snatch event that ends with 2 reps at 265#.

KillerBEA

I know CrossFit doesn't have a ton of fans here but the regional qualifiers for the CrossFit games start this weekend. The events are fucking crazy and I think it'll be pretty awesome to watch regardless of whether or not you are down with CF. The first day has an event with 40 strict muscle ups and 70 strict handstand push-ups and later that day there's a snatch event that ends with 2 reps at 265#.

If I remember to I will check it out. I do find the Crossfit games interesting.

theytookourjobz

Define "strict".

Because I'd put money on 95% of the competitors kipping their way up there. Hell, I'm reasonably convinced that there's only a handful of people in the world capable of 40 genuinely strict muscle ups.

From the games.crossfit.com site (and they judge pretty harshly).

"These are strict muscle-ups so kipping is not allowed. The feet must remain in front of the body, with the legs straight, throughout the rep. The hip may not provide assistance in elevating the athlete on top of the rings. Between consecutive reps, the athlete must settle back into a dead hang position with the feet in front of the body before pulling up on the rings to start the next rep."

theytookourjobz

Well that would be worth seeing if judged properly. As I said, I doubt there's more than a handful of people that could pull that off.

I'm sure we will see quite a few people staring at the rings until they are time capped but you'd be surprised how strong some of these guys and girls are. A guy from my gym who barely missed qualifying has done 20 strict muscle-ups in a row.

Vorg

Banned
Finally shaved so I could see my progress. A few years ago I was over 30kg overweight (and I have the stretch marks to prove it) . A day came when I finally decided to do something about it. Still a lot of work to do, obviously, but I'm getting there. If I could do this, anyone can. Believe.

http://m.imgur.com/YTwRRld

along with the hamstring machine we have this as well at the gym.
floorglute-lg.jpg

just starting to notice the owner just goes to roguefitness.com to buy all his gears.

Macros have been in check as are calories. Lifts going up but feel skinny. Lost 10 last month and no cardio. Wtf
I deff looked better before lol

M52B28

Banned
I'd recommend myfitnesspal and probably lowering your caloric intake a little bit more.
Alright, that I can do.

Now, I'm not sure if this is really advised, but I'm trying to cut down my meat consumption. I'm not cutting it out completely, but I'm doing this to make sure that I take in more vegetables during day.

I've been doing it for the past week and its helped me lower my caloric intake pretty well.

My weeks will have 3-4 days where I eat meat, and the rest will be fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc.

TheFlow

Banned
Had a intense leg day yesterday and realized skipping squats and deadlifts have come back to haunt me.

My max squat atm is 275 :/. any tips for getting my squat game back up? I wanna be able to hit 315 by July.

Cooter

40 straight strict muscle ups? The rings help a little bit but this just sounds impossible to me. I need to see it to believe it. Are these guys 105 pounds?

BumRush

Took a day yesterday to a). not go to the gym and b). eat like food was leaving the planet forever afterwards because my workouts started getting sluggish. Did wonders!

Cooter

Took a day yesterday to a). not go to the gym and b). eat like food was leaving the planet forever afterwards because my workouts started getting sluggish. Did wonders!
You're doing this right little bro. Having sluggish training sessions is your body telling you your cheat day is overdue.

BumRush

You're doing this right little bro. Having sluggish training sessions is your body telling you your cheat day is overdue.

You would have been so proud of me too. For lunch alone I had a burger called "heart attack" (4 patties, 10 slices of cheese) with all of the fixins (bacon, avocado, mushrooms, etc.) plus a large bacon ranch fries and a milkshake. The Cooter Protocol honestly does work. Today I was DL 265 for reps like the bar was my 21 month old.

Vorg

Banned
Exactly! Believe. keep up the good work

Thanks TheFlow. Still gotta get bigger and lower BF a bit, but this seems crazy to me, considering where I was just a few years ago. My body looked kinda like zoidberg's from Futurama, so I never thought I'd ever be able to get lean. Gotta keep going to get that six-pack :D

Cooter

It's basically 10 rounds of 4 muscle ups, 7 handstand push-ups, and some Kettlebell snatches.
Oh. Well that makes much more sense. Very doable. Not saying it's easy but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 40 straight muscle ups is impossible.

You would have been so proud of me too. For lunch alone I had a burger called "heart attack" (4 patties, 10 slices of cheese) with all of the fixins (bacon, avocado, mushrooms, etc.) plus a large bacon ranch fries and a milkshake. The Cooter Protocol honestly does work. Today I was DL 265 for reps like the bar was my 21 month old.

*Reaching my right hand to the corner of my left eye to wipe the single tear

sphinx

the piano man
can't believe it took me so long to make it to this thread.

Glad Fitgaf is going as strong as ever.

so I am in a serious cut mode, lots of more cardio, sweating, eating better and already seeing changes. I was planning anyway on leaning out for summer but my eye openers and what is making me try hard and be serious about it is:

.- I made a photoshooting wearing my "pianist" outfit, which I hadn't used in a couple of years. It was nice to see it was tight from shoulders and chest but the pants, damn, I barely fit in there. Unacceptable. To be honest, I look waaay to pudgy on it, just no.

.- I really got sick and tired of love handles, fuck them in the ass, easily the worst thing of being 38 years old in aesthetic terms. If I were 25, no way I'd had them with all the stuff I do.

.- Summer is coming.

already seeing progress, but will stay on track til mid June and then see from there.

Ha, 20 year old me just had to look at a weights bench to get ripped. Fuck that guy.

30 year old me gave me stretch marks. Fuck that guy too.

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks TheFlow. Still gotta get bigger and lower BF a bit, but this seems crazy to me, considering where I was just a few years ago. My body looked kinda like zoidberg's from Futurama, so I never thought I'd ever be able to get lean. Gotta keep going to get that six-pack :D
The 6 pack is a mystical creature

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Shit, I forgot to sub the new thread. Was wondering where FitGAF was on my sub list.

Anyways, been going to the gym regularly since February now and I'm actually seeing results now that I'm consuming enough calories. Which is huge since every other time I got into the gym I was only working out without changing my diet.

I have a question about bulking, i have added about 500 calories of a caloric surplus to my diet so i can get stronger and i am slowly gaining weight but i have no idea how much of that is muscle gain and how much of it is fat.

Is the extra weight likely coming from mostly new fat, or mostly new muscle? Or do you guys need me to get way more specific to even come close to answering that? I am consistently getting stronger if that helps.

Lyle McDonald's Natural Lean Muscle Mass Gain Model
Years Training: Muscle Gain:
1 year 20-25 pounds (2 pounds per month)
2 years 10-12 pounds (1 pound per month)
3 years 5-6 pounds (.5 pound per month)
4 years 2-3 pounds (not worth calculating)

It is hard to measure how much weight gain is fat. Your weight can vary day-to-day by more than a pound just due to hydration. But averaging over time, anything higher than these numbers is definitely fat.

TheFlow

Banned
I have a question about bulking, i have added about 500 calories of a caloric surplus to my diet so i can get stronger and i am slowly gaining weight but i have no idea how much of that is muscle gain and how much of it is fat.

Is the extra weight likely coming from mostly new fat, or mostly new muscle? Or do you guys need me to get way more specific to even come close to answering that? I am consistently getting stronger if that helps.
How long you been bulking. You are going to gain fat regardless of the bulk

SeanR1221

Haven't posted in a few. I appreciate the OHP feedback from everyone.

6 day a week workouts have been going well. It's nice to be able to fit some of the compounds like front squat fresh. No crazy doms which is surprising.

I'm 1lb away from my goal weight (178) so I can make it an even 50lbs lost. Let's do this.

Been able to up the distance and time on 90-100% effort sprints the past few weeks. Feel good about it. No real change on the heavy bag HIIT although after an intense workout and sprinting session wanting to punch/kick the bag I do feel a tad bit fatigued.

Also starting to feel a bit more drained. Focusing the meat of my carbs surrounding my workout has helped me keep pushing hard on my cut but the fatigue is noticeable throughout the day.

All in all still feel like I am up to the task come gym time and can still hit my numbers but I feel like I already want to take a nap tomorrow XD

Birthday a week from Saturday, going to make it a refeed. All hail the mighty food.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Haven't posted in a few. I appreciate the OHP feedback from everyone.

6 day a week workouts have been going well. It's nice to be able to fit some of the compounds like front squat fresh. No crazy doms which is surprising.

I'm 1lb away from my goal weight (178) so I can make it an even 50lbs lost. Let's do this.

Gogogo!!

If you have to ask, you should probably be on a cut.

Top Bottom