• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Milchjon

I think I'm neglecting my lower back. Any good, simple beginner exercises?

Don't have a ton of equipment at hand. Lots of free weights, bench, a ladder of some sort, bars, a rowing machine, some cable pull down thingy...

Any of those helpful?

Chocobro

I love it! A lot of my college buddies have places in the Harwich / Dennis area, so my wife and I try to get up there when we can. It's so relaxing and beautiful.

Where'd you stay?

Oh lucky, more places for you to stay at haha. How often do you end up going in a year? It is relaxing, much cooler there too. I'm hating this heat in NYC, I'm sure you know the pain.

I stayed at International Inn & Suites Hyannis; was on a Chinese bus tour that weekend.

One thing I noticed there were the painted lines for the parking spots. I would like those in NYC.

BumRush

Oh lucky, more places for you to stay at haha. How often do you end up going in a year? It is relaxing, much cooler there too. I'm hating this heat in NYC, I'm sure you know the pain.

I stayed at International Inn & Suites Hyannis; was on a Chinese bus tour that weekend.

One thing I noticed there were the painted lines for the parking spots. I would like those in NYC.

Haha yeah it's like 90 degrees in long island at 7:00 pm.

Before our daughter was born we went 1-2 times per year. Now it's like 0-1, unfortunately.

Dawg

Other people will respond with more information I'm sure, but essentially you need to eat more and lift a few times a week. Start tracking your calories, figure out how much you're eating now and start aiming for ~500 more per day. Pick a barbell training program like Starting Strength (I think there's a list of them in the OP) and go to the gym for about an hour a day however many times are needed for the program.

You will gain weight if you eat enough, that's a fact. Put in the work in the gym and you'll gain muscle.

Sorry for the late reply.

Is there any specific food you should aim for? I've also read something about drinking milk every day. I feel like I would be able to do that. I've always got tons of 1,5L "half whole" milk bottles available. Drinking one of those a day seems like something I could do. I read this guarantees weight gain.

As for the gym, I was actually wondering... is it viable to buy a home kit and do it at home instead of at the gym? Or is that not recommendable? Besides the fact I've never been to a gym (which isn't really an issue), I have a very irregular work schedule which makes it hard to keep a stable training schedule because 24/7 gyms aren't really an option where I live. I just don't know if it's worth buying everything yourself. Don't even have an idea about the price.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm in your same situation (204 from 257lb since October), and after some searching I've found that many people take to intermittent fasting on top of a caloric deficit. Best way to put it, pick a meal (breakfast or dinner) and skip it, but consume your calories in an eight-ten hour window. It's actually harder than it sounds, especially when hunger pangs start. I tend to skip dinner, and stick to a 7-5 schedule since work tends to take up most of my day. Though I've found myself snacking on nuts, banana, or a cheesestick well into the p.m.

I've cut out artificial sugar, breads, (Lets be frank, even "healthy" foods still contain the bad sugar and salts) and salt but as far as losing weight it's the last few that are stubborn to burn. I've been fat for over 20 years so I came to terms that it's going to take a while, but keep at it and you will see results. I have much noticeable muscle definition, so that spurs me on keeping this up.

This is what I'm doing. I eat in a 4-hour window most days. I'm far more attractive than I've ever been. The dude in the mirror is a genuine cutie as of a couple weeks ago.

sphinx

the piano man
I think I'm neglecting my lower back. Any good, simple beginner exercises?

Don't have a ton of equipment at hand. Lots of free weights, bench, a ladder of some sort, bars, a rowing machine, some cable pull down thingy...

Any of those helpful?

I think hyperextensions is the go-to exercise for lower back, I haven't found anything else that hit that part of my back that well.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just got back from an amazing weekend in cape cod and indulged a biiiiiiiit much. Back to the grind fitpals.

Hello from Boston!

Finally found a gym that was reasonably priced and got my first workout in today. It's been nearly two months since my last one back in MN, so it's been weellllll needed. Felt damn good.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got back from an amazing weekend in cape cod and indulged a biiiiiiiit much. Back to the grind fitpals.
The traps are even bigger now! Good shit.

____

The new oatmeal chocolate chip Quest Bar is pretty good. Would be 10x better if they replaced the chocolate with raisins though.

SeanR1221

The traps are even bigger now! Good shit.

____

The new oatmeal chocolate chip Quest Bar is pretty good. Would be 10x better if they replaced the chocolate with raisins though.

They're good but I might switch to One bars. Their cinnamon bun bars are REALLY good.

I'm a woman and I lift. When I go to the gym, I only lift. My cardio/HIIT is jiu jitsu and my main focus. But I try to go to the gym three times a week and lift. Right now I can deadlift 150. Getting there was really tough, but worth it.

I have a six pack, big head splitting thighs, and a big ass. The other day at the gym I was asked by a girl who comes to the gym around the same times as me how I got my figure and I tell her I just lift and do jiu jitsu. She was shocked I had such a physique (better than the cardio only girls who go on the treadmills) despite having never seen me ever use a treadmill or elliptical and wanted in. She said she had some 5 lb weights coming in and I corrected her - "I lift steel, bb." It took some cajoling but I think I've finally got my first girl lifting partner and I'm going to be teaching her form.

Sex with my boyfriend is wild. He loves having a girl he can rough house with while fucking and he knows I can take it. When we fuck, he pounds the absolute shit out of me. It is easily the best sex I have ever had. He lifts too.

I've tried to get so many girls on the weight lifting train and this has so far been my one success.

I'm a woman and I lift. When I go to the gym, I only lift. My cardio/HIIT is jiu jitsu and my main focus. But I try to go to the gym three times a week and lift. Right now I can deadlift 150. Getting there was really tough, but worth it.

I have a six pack, big head splitting thighs, and a big ass. The other day at the gym I was asked by a girl who comes to the gym around the same times as me how I got my figure and I tell her I just lift and do jiu jitsu. She was shocked I had such a physique (better than the cardio only girls who go on the treadmills) despite having never seen me ever use a treadmill or elliptical and wanted in. She said she had some 5 lb weights coming in and I corrected her - "I lift steel, bb." It took some cajoling but I think I've finally got my first girl lifting partner and I'm going to be teaching her form.

Sex with my boyfriend is wild. He loves having a girl he can rough house with while fucking and he knows I can take it. When we fuck, he pounds the absolute shit out of me. It is easily the best sex I have ever had. He lifts too.

I've tried to get so many girls on the weight lifting train and this has so far been my one success.
This post tho
tumblr_inline_n3a9yhHzDv1qgsm4n.gif

entremet

Weighing yourself daily seems to be awesome strategy for compliance.

You really start understanding your body.

I'm not on a fat loss phase, but it's interesting seeing the fluctuations after cheat days and hard training days.

I notice that I gain a few pounds after hard training days--I'm guessing from fluid retention in the muscles.

I can't stand how mindless cardio has become the default exercise promoted to women thanks to Self and all those brainless (in terms of exercise science) women's mags.

In my experience, women's body composition respond better to resistance training even more so than men!

mdsfx

Day 2 of hitting the gym on vacation, this time for some incline dumbbell bench, pull ups, shoulders, then 40 min of cycling. Came back and took the kayak out on the lake. I found myself trailing behind a king fisher that would pop up occasionally as he searched for breakfast. I could sure as hell get used to this format for exercise. The water is like 84°.

May this never end...

SeanR1221

I'm not on a fat loss phase, but it's interesting seeing the fluctuations after cheat days and hard training days.

I notice that I gain a few pounds after hard training days--I'm guessing from fluid retention in the muscles.

Agreed. It helps you understand your body more and keep you on track. It also helps me enjoy life more. If I stay the same weight monday-friday I'll be more likely to relax a bit more on a saturday to see what happens.

Got my doctor's appointment tomorrow for the pain in my groin. Hope I don't have to endure any MRI crap or anything and he simply tells me "aw yeah I know what you got, rest 3 weeks and try again kthxbye".

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well Cindi instantly shot up near the top of my favorite posters list. I said DAMN! Good stuff girl.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I know some people can't stand it, but I think it is the best way to keep sane while trying to gain or lose weight. You quickly realise that you can fluctuate day to day by several pounds, which is obviously not related to any significant change in body composition. Allows you to recognize general trends much easier.

Inspiring post. Great to hear from another woman. I definitely need to get over my gym phobia and get lifting.

If I may, how long has it taken you to reach your current progress?

Took me three months of three days on average a week. Started with a muffin top but now I've got a six pack. Hoping to get to 300 lb deadlifts (my fave) but may be pushing it. I had a big butt before, but glute activation now gets me attention everywhere I go. Thankfully I take Jiu Jitsu so I can break arms just in case. I lifted weights before but I don't think I did them properly. Getting trained helped me have great gains and toning.

I've always wanted a physique like this.

SSMWDEh.jpg

And this year just decided to go for it.

I say just go for it. Look for a gym with a good free weight section and a trainer who knows wtf he or she is talking about. Go tour different gyms. Avoid Planet Fitness and any place that has an over emphasis on machines.

I can't stand how mindless cardio has become the default exercise promoted to women thanks to Self and all those brainless (in terms of exercise science) women's mags.

In my experience, women's body composition respond better to resistance training even more so than men!

Mindless cardio is my bane. I've always hated it. Also to be fair, I think mindless cardio is the default for most people, male or female. It was so bad I likened cardio as the only form of exercise so I just stayed away from exercising. I know just as many men who think they'll look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club by running on a treadmill like a hamster. I hated cardio until I picked up martial arts. I was obese and out of shape. Now I'm making up for lost time. Hate cardio that isn't jumping ropes or something, always will. I know people who love and live for it, but treadmills and stuff bore me to death.

BumRush

das it mang

hug17.gif

One of the few things I didn't expect on my occasional morning browse of FitGAF is erotica. Some good shit there.

You should totally post your diet and training regimen though, sounds like you've got a pretty good example for other females to follow for success. Unless you're one of those lucky people who don't really need to watch the diet all that closely.

One of the few things I didn't expect on my occasional morning browse of FitGAF is erotica. Some good shit there.

You should totally post your diet and training regimen though, sounds like you've got a pretty good example for other females to follow for success. Unless you're one of those lucky people who don't really need to watch the diet all that closely.

My diet is paleo. Had fried eggs with spinach and sautéed tomatoes for breakfast.

Training: Squats, deadlift, floor presses, hip flexors, weighted dips, kettle bells, 1h dumbell rows, pullovers, bear crawl, crab walk, push ups, front lever, wall sits, planks.

Mostly simple stuff. Concentrate on deadlifts, squats, hip flexors, and floor presses. Try to not go too hard because BJJ is my main priority.

Sorry my post was NSFW.

alternade

Mindless cardio is my bane. I've always hated it. Also to be fair, I think mindless cardio is the default for most people, male or female. It was so bad I likened cardio as the only form of exercise so I just stayed away from exercising. I know just as many men who think they'll look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club by running on a treadmill like a hamster. I hated cardio until I picked up martial arts. I was obese and out of shape. Now I'm making up for lost time. Hate cardio that isn't jumping ropes or something, always will. I know people who love and live for it, but treadmills and stuff bore me to death.

I love just getting on a treadmill or elliptical and just going for 45+ minutes mindlessly. I get to just zone out and sweat my ass off. I do cardio before every lift session. Probably burning my gains away but im fat

If only I had this dedication in the kitchen.....

its not random tho, we all fam

I dunno if it's weirder if it's a random's or a fitfam's trouser snake. I'll probably try to avoid posting mine in either case lmao.

I love just getting on a treadmill or elliptical and just going for 45+ minutes mindlessly. I get to just zone out and sweat my ass off. I do cardio before every lift session. Probably burning my gains away but im fat

If only I had this dedication in the kitchen.....

http://www.humanengine.com/index.php/articles/training/item/the-cardio-comedown?category_id=2 (Menno Henselmans article)

Although if you enjoy cardio, more power to you. I realized that I hated cardio like 2 years ago and I haven't done any since.

Top Bottom