• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Sadetar

Somewhat on that note, my wife's uncle just had a heart attack and wound up in the hospital for 2 weeks as his body slowly shut down. He passed away last night. He was only in his late 50's...! Take care of yourselves. It can certainly catch up to you :(
My condolences.

Then again I must add that no matter how good condition you are in, shit happens. My mother died at the age of 42 to cancer.

A small weight for Fit-GAF, a huge weight to me, I finally today made my high school dream come true, benching 100kg!!

https://youtu.be/cx7HRm5UW8o

Wasn't the prettiest of reps, but touched the chest and came up on it's own, one of the happiest moments of my life as you can tell from the video!
Yay! Congratulations! Hitting your goals feels always awesome. :D

FUCK YES!!!!!!! JUST GOT 405 1x3 flat bench FUCK YES!!!!!
Damn! You are a beast!

Definitely never posting pics now. lol
Oh come on! :D I promise to be extra gentle. :p

Don't know what you mean.

skeletorqfzco.jpg

Edit - Related... my calves are bigger than my arms. I'm assuming that's probably not the norm. lol
My calves are certainly bigger than my arms... Also their circumference is douple the one of my ankle.

Lol no but lets says she treats it like a lolipop :p
*pat pat*

That was all I needed to hear. :p

Struggled for years with regular pull-ups, and had no delusions of ever being able to do even one single wide-grip one. Been going beastmode in my training these last 4 months and just found out yesterday I can now do 4 consecutive wide-grip ones. Feels so good.

muscle-ups by next summer.
Brilliant work!

Got a couple chuckles wandering up to the pull up bar. I needed to use two folded mats to get up there. Busted out 5 wide stance pull ups and 5 close and 10 parallel. Walked away feeling like a total bad ass.
my back and core are going to be dead tomorrow aren't they?

Cooper

Struggled for years with regular pull-ups, and had no delusions of ever being able to do even one single wide-grip one. Been going beastmode in my training these last 4 months and just found out yesterday I can now do 4 consecutive wide-grip ones. Feels so good.

Congratulations!

HeelPower

So I know this is probably an ancient noobish question,bht bear with me ?

Is it really a bad idea to do a bit of everything every time you go to the gym?

I dont feel satisfied unless I've done a variety of exercises.

Is it bad for exhaustion or what?why must muscles be grouped ?

why must muscles be grouped ?

They don't have to be. What you're talking about is generally called a "bro split".

Full body workouts are fine, but you need appropriate time between sessions in which to recover. If you were training every day then you realistically wouldn't / couldn't do everything.

HeelPower

They don't have to be. What you're talking about is generally called a "bro split".

Full body workouts are fine, but you need appropriate time between sessions in which to recover. If you were training every day then you realistically wouldn't / couldn't do everything.

Thanks.

So if my body feels responsive and up to the task,is it ok to do whatever exercise I can ?

And what about cardio ? Can it be done daily ?

Your body can feel plenty responsive and you can still be harming your progress. Recovery is a big part of the process.

...and yes, cardio can be done daily, but taking that too far can also harm progress.

mdsfx

I'm 5lbs up, 6 days into my vacation. I'm looking pretty smooth right about now lol. I've worked out every day though (30 min lifting, 40 min cardio), not that it puts a dent in my calorie intake. I'm enjoying so many carbs. Yassssss!

Got a question on working body parts together. For the past month I've been doing:

Back/Legs
Shoulders/Chest
Biceps/Triceps
Abs (occasionally)

5 days a week with days off split up.

Is this good/bad? Does it matter? All I have is a pair of dumbbells so it's exercises exclusively with those.

Cooper

Got a question on working body parts together. For the past month I've been doing:

Back/Legs
Shoulders/Chest
Biceps/Triceps
Abs (occasionally)

5 days a week with days off split up.

Is this good/bad? Does it matter? All I have is a pair of dumbbells so it's exercises exclusively with those.

Regardless of what body part split you use, I can't imagine any routine working if in fact you only have a single pair of fixed weight dumbbells. Is it an adjustable pair? If not, what do you do for progression?

Regardless of what body part split you use, I can't imagine any routine working if in fact you only have a single pair of fixed weight dumbbells. Is it an adjustable pair? If not, what do you do for progression?

No I just meant dumbbells is all I have to work with. I have a variety of plates.

4 x 10 lbs
4 x 5 lbs
4 x 2.5 lbs

Edit: I'd love to have an adjustable pair but holy shit they're expensive.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm 5lbs up, 6 days into my vacation. I'm looking pretty smooth right about now lol. I've worked out every day though (30 min lifting, 40 min cardio), not that it puts a dent in my calorie intake. I'm enjoying so many carbs. Yassssss!
Watch out guys. Mikey is approaching double digit body fat percentage. At 11% I think you are considered morbidly obese.

Milchjon

So, uh, cardio...

Lost like 7 kilos over the past 4 months due to a combination of working out, taking up a bit of running, and eating/drinking a bit less and more consciously.

I am now at a point where I am mostly happy with my weight (~88kg, ~184cm) and would rather just redistribute instead of losing more.

Thing is, I'm often not really hungry and would probably keep losing weight instead of building muscle if I keep running like this.

I guess there are other health benefits to cardio, but what's the consensus here? Any point to it?

How fit are you? If you find you don't get out of breath doing most things, then you're probably fine in realistic terms. Also entirely depends what you need your fitness for... if you're a cyclist, swimmer or runner then you really can't get enough cardio. :)

The answer most people will give you is HIIT. It's in the OP and there's a shitload of info on the internet on it. I will say this on it though as it's something most people get wrong:

HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING IS SUPPOSED TO BE EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, THEN RECOVERING, THEN EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT AGAIN.

A lot of people do fairly hard, and then moderate. It's not. It's HOLY SHIT hard, then desperately trying to recover before the next set.

KillerBEA

So, uh, cardio...

Lost like 7 kilos over the past 4 months due to a combination of working out, taking up a bit of running, and eating/drinking a bit less and more consciously.

I am now at a point where I am mostly happy with my weight (~88kg, ~184cm) and would rather just redistribute instead of losing more.

Thing is, I'm often not really hungry and would probably keep losing weight instead of building muscle if I keep running like this.

I guess there are other health benefits to cardio, but what's the consensus here? Any point to it?

Drop some of the running, but keep some. Add liquid calories such as milk or protein shakes to bump up your intake without eating more solid food.

Keeping some of it will help maintain/build a higher aerobic baseline meaning you will ultimately be in better shape and can recover from workouts better which will allow you to do more.

Cooper

No I just meant dumbbells is all I have to work with. I have a variety of plates.

4 x 10 lbs
4 x 5 lbs
4 x 2.5 lbs

Edit: I'd love to have an adjustable pair but holy shit they're expensive.

Are these plates traditional barbell style ones, or are these your DB weights? What DB weight range do you have available?

For program critique, you'll need to provide more details. Sets, reps, progression scheme, and type of exercise. Did you use a different program prior to last month? Has your strength gone up?

Subtle

What should I do if my legs are still sore when j deadlift and it's seriously gimping my workout. I deadlift and then squat on the same day every three days and that use to be enough rest. Now my legs are still sore and it kills my motivation. Left the gym early today because of this. Should I drop the accessory leg workouts minus calves ofc?

Ixian

Holy shit, calories from bread slices add up fast. So much for my turkey and peanut butter sandwich diet idea.
Bread's a killer. I still eat it because my girlfriend loves it and I a) want her to be happy with her diet b) don't want the bread we buy to go to waste since she won't be able to finish it herself, but it sucks to lose 200 calories to something that's so easily replaced, lol. I recommend low carb tortillas or Flatout Fold-Its if you're like me and still want the form factor without all of the calories. There are also other kinds of bread replacements but they're pricey.

Ooh, Friday Funday read.

What should I do if my legs are still sore when j deadlift and it's seriously gimping my workout. I deadlift and then squat on the same day every three days and that use to be enough rest. Now my legs are still sore and it kills my motivation. Left the gym early today because of this. Should I drop the accessory leg workouts minus calves ofc?
I think you're generally supposed to do squats before deadlifts.

Subtle

I think you're generally supposed to do squats before deadlifts.

Wat. How does that not destroy your deadlifts?
Edit: after looking at some videos I think my butt is too low which means I'm lifting too much with my legs. I'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Ixian

Edit: after looking at some videos I think my butt is too low which means I'm lifting too much with my legs. I'll try again tomorrow and see how it goes.
The alternative is you destroy your squats and possibly worse than the opposite, and squats help you to warm up before deadlifts. Starting Strength and Stronglifts both have squats before deadlifts.
Other
links about it.

I'm slamming my face against the wheel of my machine. OT at it again.

I dunno guys, that thread isn't really infuriatingly dumb. It's kinda just plain dumb.

Or am I just getting used to OT shenanigans?

Ixian is right. Also from a safety standpoint, you generally don't want to be worn down on a movement where the bar has the potential to crush you directly. And where your options to bail out are limited. For that reason bench press is done before overhead press, although most programs don't even have them on the same day.

KillerBEA

Ixian is right. Also from a safety standpoint, you generally don't want to be worn down on a movement where the bar has the potential to crush you directly. And where your options to bail out are limited. For that reason bench press is done before overhead press, although most programs don't even have them on the same day.

Safety pins. Set them at the appropriate height for limb length and depth and you really never have to worry about it that much. Saved my ass on Squats this week.

Ooh... I don't say this often, but that was a really good session.

Seemed to be able to squat everything I was putting on the bar. Easily the best I've felt since I injured my back. Walked away really happy with my progress (and before I failed a rep).

mdsfx

Ooh... I don't say this often, but that was a really good session.

Seemed to be able to squat everything I was putting on the bar. Easily the best I've felt since I injured my back. Walked away really happy with my progress (and before I failed a rep).
Nice! That must feel awesome. Is it a lower back injury?

Safety pins. Set them at the appropriate height for limb length and depth and you really never have to worry about it that much. Saved my ass on Squats this week.

Yeah, of course. I mean, I do that too. It's just the relative safety/performance of deads vs squats is different. Saw a guy at my gym mess up the pin placement at the power rack and he rolled 185lbs down his neck when he decided to fail forwards.

It was a little funny.

That, vs just dropping the deadlift just makes it the "less safe" option. Although if you set it up right it's practically negligible yeah.

bchamba

There's more carryover from your squats to your deadlift than there is from your deadlift to your squats so if you're going to do both on the same day I'd do squats first.

What's your split look like? If you want a day where deadlifts are a priority maybe change your schedule around to something like: squats and deadlifts, something else/off, squats, something else/off, deadlifts and so on.

Mephaisto

Hello Fitness-GAF, looking for some advice.

So I'm what is called skinny fat. I have been cursed with extremely small shoulders (Sometimes Size S is too big for them, but a pretty big belly (about 88cm) and a nice pair of A cups. Wonderful. At 182cm (Age 27) I weighted 85kg, which might be normal by the numbers, but looked absolutely horrible. So my belly exploded and I couldn't wear my Jeans anymore, so I started dieting. I lost 5kg, my belly is down to 80cm (though there is still lots of fat). I basically want to keep going and hope to actually get a flat belly for once in my life. Of course, the rest of my body also looks terrible, you can actually start seeing my rips now..

Now I do have a bench, a long bar and about 60kg in weights at home. I have been starting a bit with bench presses, but nothing serious. Started with 25kg, now I can press 50kg, which is of course still amateur hour. But it did get me interested in weight training.

Anyway, my plan is to keep dieting for a while and then actually start taking things seriously. I have read a lot about plans,etc., but there is one thing I'm pretty lost at. After I have lost enough weight and have a slim waist, is my only option to have a caloric surplus? Because while surely some of the weight gain will be muscle, another part will be fat, making the diet pointless (pretty much every gram I gain is added or substracted to my belly, my genes work that way). I read that you can actually gain muscle with enough protein but without a surplus up to a certain point, and you only need the surplus after that. Is there any truth to that? Do you really need to bulk up, gain tons of fat (GOMAD being a good example), then diet again to lose the fat but keep the muscle? Can't you just bulk up in a clean way?

Thanks for any help.

No, you'll always gain fat... and sadly yes, you'll get it on your stomach first (most men do, but it looks worse on smaller guys). A slow bulk will help, but obviously that'll impact how fast you gain muscle.

Realistically you'll find it'll be a few bulk / cut cycles before you look how you want.

Good news is, you're still young enough that it's a lot easier to get results quickly.

Hello Fitness-GAF, looking for some advice.

You're on the right track putting dieting first, and everyone starts from amateur hour on lifts so there's nothing wrong with that.

Regarding your other questions, these two articles might help you:

http://rippedbody.jp/physique-goal-setting-part-1/
http://rippedbody.jp/how-to-bulk/

They're needlessly wordy, but there's some good general info in there. If you want the TLDR version, it's basically: how fast do you want to progress after you get your flat belly?

Top Bottom